Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
TTTDawg Offline OP
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
Pittsburgh Steelers wide receivers coach Darryl Drake died suddenly at age 62 on Sunday, the team announced.

The team did not disclose a cause of death. The Steelers canceled their training camp practice on Sunday, and it's uncertain whether they will practice Monday.

"We are at a loss for words following Darryl Drake's passing this morning. Darryl had such an impact on the players he coached and everyone he worked with throughout his entire career. He was a passionate coach and had a tremendous spirit toward life, his family, his faith and the game of football," Steelers president Art Rooney II said in a statement.

"Our prayers and thoughts are with his wife, Sheila, his three daughters, his grandchildren and entire family during this difficult time."

Darryl Drake was entering his second season as the wide receivers coach for the Pittsburgh Steelers. Photo by Shelley Lipton/Icon Sportswire
Drake's coaching career spanned nearly four decades, starting as a Western Kentucky graduate assistant in 1983 before working his way into the NFL ranks. Drake was entering his second season as the Steelers' wide receivers coach after being hired by the Steelers in January 2018. He was an assistant coach for 16 years in the NFL, also serving as wide receivers coach for the Chicago Bears and Arizona Cardinals.

Chicago Bears
✔
@ChicagoBears
Today we mourn the untimely passing of Pittsburgh Steelers wide receivers coach Darryl Drake. Darryl was the former Bears wide receivers coach under Lovie Smith from 2004-12, including the 2006 Super Bowl appearance.

11:21 AM - Aug 11, 2019
Twitter Ads info and privacy
214 people are talking about this

Arizona Cardinals
✔
@AZCardinals
Our hearts go out to the family and loved ones of Darryl Drake. It is impossible to overstate his impact on the game in nearly four decades as a coach in college and the NFL.

Today, the entire football community mourns his loss.

11:18 AM - Aug 11, 2019
Twitter Ads info and privacy
75 people are talking about this
Former Bears linebacker Lance Briggs added on Instagram: "Shared a lot of genuine laughs with this man over my career. We lost a great one. You are missed Darryl Drake."

Drake was well-liked throughout the Steelers organization for his bright personality, football acumen and caring nature. During practices, everyone from his receivers to quarterback Ben Roethlisberger would constantly chat him up on the sidelines or between drills. Drake was known for his colorful one-liners during practices, often telling his players "don't drag the toe, click it" during sideline-catch work.

Antonio Brown and JuJu Smith-Schuster posted 100-catch seasons in Drake's first and only full season in Pittsburgh.

"Darryl was a close friend and had a tremendous impact on my coaching career," Steelers coach Mike Tomlin said in a statement. "He was an amazing husband, father and grandfather, and it is difficult to put into words the grief our entire team is going through right now.

"Darryl loved the game of football and every player he ever coached. We will use our faith to guide us and help his family throughout the difficult time."

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/27366395/steelers-wrs-coach-drake-dies-suddenly-62

Let this sink in..... On 12-31-23 it be will 123123.
On the flip side, you can tune a piano but you can't tune-a-fish.

V
Legend
Legend
V
That sucks!!!

TTTDawg Offline OP
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
That sucks!!!

Yup. Gotta set aside rivalries, etc, etc when statements like this are made......

"He was an amazing husband, father and grandfather, and it is difficult to put into words the grief our entire team is going through right now."

Let this sink in..... On 12-31-23 it be will 123123.
On the flip side, you can tune a piano but you can't tune-a-fish.

Legend
Legend
RIP

#GMSTRONG
R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
Resting In Peace

Two things:

1) It sounds like near zero suffering (heart attack?)
2) He left on a high note. (in high spirits)

If his only concern was himself, I'm sure he'd take it.

Thoughts for his family.

S
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
S
How horribly sad. Only 62. RIP

#gmstrong
L
Legend
Legend
L
That's a shame. 62 is too young to die.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
Legend
Legend
RIP Coach.

May God comfort his family, and wrap His love around them in this difficult time.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
P
Legend
Legend
P
Sad news indeed. Best wishes to his family, friends and team.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Sad to hear this earlier. Prayers to his family and friends, etc

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
Legend
My heart and my prayers go out to his family and friends. frown

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Tailgate Forum Steelers WRs coach Drake dies suddenly at 62

Link Copied to Clipboard