Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Legend
Legend
All we had to root for the year I was born was baseball. They even wrote about it in a very popular Book. It starts out saying "In the big inning"

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
Legend
Legend
That was brilliant. Got me blindside, GM! rofl

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Legend
Legend

Went 11-5 and won the central... lost in divisional round of playoffs to the raiders...

<><

#gmstrong
A
AZBrown Offline OP
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
A
Originally Posted By: jaybird

Went 11-5 and won the central... lost in divisional round of playoffs to the raiders...

Oh........

I remember a dead silence in the TV room from my Dad, 2 of my uncles and my grandfather (who'd been drinking since early morning). It smelled of despair in there.

Still, a great team that year.

F
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
F
I was born in 1961 and the Browns went 8-5-1 finished third in Eastern conference. Obviously I don't recall the season but some of the stars I was aware of such as Jim Brown, Bobby Mitchell, Dick Schafrath, Gene Hickerson & Jim Houston.

I first really started watching in 1969 season. Spent many days with neighbor kids in the back yard arguing over who "get to be" Bill Nelson. Leroy Kelly, Paul Warfield, Gary Collins Milt Morin etc. One of my all time favorite players was Gregg Pruitt. Man I loved to watch him run. For a small guy he was strong.

A
AZBrown Offline OP
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
A
Originally Posted By: FORTBROWNFAN
I was born in 1961 and the Browns went 8-5-1 finished third in Eastern conference. Obviously I don't recall the season but some of the stars I was aware of such as Jim Brown, Bobby Mitchell, Dick Schafrath, Gene Hickerson & Jim Houston.

I first really started watching in 1969 season. Spent many days with neighbor kids in the back yard arguing over who "get to be" Bill Nelson. Leroy Kelly, Paul Warfield, Gary Collins Milt Morin etc. One of my all time favorite players was Gregg Pruitt. Man I loved to watch him run. For a small guy he was strong.

When my uncle started educating me - as a kid - a bit about the Browns he grew up on, Bill Nelsen kept coming up. The pain the guy used to play in, the roundabout way we got him, beating the Colts, etc....

The QB names I hear most about from friends that are more "laid-back" fans nowadays are, of course, Otto, Brian and Bernie. People of a certain age remember some of the other greats as well.

I guess in the last twenty years we've pinned our hopes on a few (Couch, Anderson, Hoyer, McCown) - well maybe not a couple of those. Hoyer was the one I was hoping for most. Anyway, I hope this new era will be worth talking about in terms of a QB and monster defense twenty years from now.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: jaybird

Never forget that game. My brother-in-law and I watched it over his place. The top of a double right near E. 156th and Westropp.

We got hammered. Both prob had easily 20+ beers starting at 11a-ish and and ending when, within 10-15 seconds after the interception, he threw the 19" tv thru the front window then off the 2nd floor balcony. Didn't quite make it to the treelawn.

True story.

Let this sink in..... On 12-31-23 it be will 123123.
On the flip side, you can tune a piano but you can't tune-a-fish.

A
AZBrown Offline OP
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
A
That's a decent reaction. Did any trouble come?

I just remember all the male members of my family watching that day "changed" in demeanor for about a week. A little frightening for an 8 year old kid.

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
I too remember that Browns v Raiders playoff game as it was the first football game that made me cry. Sadly, a few years later I cried again. Consecutively. frown

Yeah, the Browns are my team and I love them, but they have also scarred my soul.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: AZBrown
That's a decent reaction. Did any trouble come?

I just remember all the male members of my family watching that day "changed" in demeanor for about a week. A little frightening for an 8 year old kid.

As I recall, they were evicted, pay for damages, etc. He knew the owner well. Not so much after that. rofl

He was an ironworker. Drinker, brawler, etc. Nose broken 9 times. 3 years in prison, etc, etc.

I remember the time he and I went to the Shore Bar on Lakeshore near Euclid Beach. We walked in and there were 2 HA's there. Within 15 minutes 3 more walked in. Well, turned out to be a Hells Angels bar. willynilly

He started gettin cocky with one of them and 3 of them get off their barstools. Took me every bit of 6-8 seconds to drag him outtta there.

He was gonna take on 5 HA's. willynilly

Let this sink in..... On 12-31-23 it be will 123123.
On the flip side, you can tune a piano but you can't tune-a-fish.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: FORTBROWNFAN

Same here. Pretty similar story. I also was a big Cheifs fans as I knew Len Dawsons sister. Otis Taylor was my hero at that time!

P
2nd String
2nd String
P
1949,which kinda makes me a grandapa to all you young pups (Ha!!). Won AAFC Championship game vs San Fran 21-7,defeated Buffalo Bills 31-21 week prior in playoff game. Regular season record 9-1-2,11-1-2 overall,our 4th consecutive World Championship. 7 members in HOF (Otto,Gunner,The Toe,Marion,Bill Willis,Paul Brown,Gluefingers),Otto and Gunner Gatski only players in NFL to play entire career in consectutive world champion ship games--Otto ten,Gunner eleven-Ten with Browns,final with Detroit. four players became head coaches-Otto,Ara Paresghian,Lou Saban,Lou Rymkus. Family connections to later NFL players Lin Houston Brother of Browns Jim Houston,Dub Jones dad of Bert Jones Colts QB. Ed Ullinski was later head of film room and other office positions. The Toe longest playing tenure 21 years,scout during injured did not play 1960 season.

Last edited by Passionate Dawg; 08/22/19 12:46 PM.

I bleed Seal Brown,Burnt Oranage and White w/Chrome. It's a proud honored birthright and family tradition.
A
AZBrown Offline OP
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
A
Thanks for posting this.

My dad was born in 1940, and I grew up hearing a lot about the Browns when he was a kid, going to games with my grandpa. I think, but I might be wrong, they were the Cleveland Rams when he was born.

The NFL's all decade team included some of the big names you mentioned and a few more from earlier. Guys like: Benton, Lavelli, Speedie, Willis, Waterfield, Motley, etc...

What we wouldn't give to have a modern day Groza on the team now. Especially now.

P
2nd String
2nd String
P
You are correct,the Cleveland football team up thru 1945 was known as the Rams. In existance from 1937 thru 1942 then 1944 thru 1945. Won the 1945 World Championship,than leave because of declining attendence and formation of our Browns. To ammmend my only players to play in consectutive championship games in entire career add Mac Speede with astrick NFLA,AFL 6 consectutve. Had we not had a losing season in 1956,QB injuries and age catching up to some starters,maybe Gluefingers could of had 11 consectutive.

P
2nd String
2nd String
P
Error on my part Gunner Gatski did have 11 championship games but not in connsectutive seasons,1946 thru 1955 none during 1956 last season with Browns,eleventh was 1957 with Detroit.

I bleed Seal Brown,Burnt Oranage and White w/Chrome. It's a proud honored birthright and family tradition.
P
2nd String
2nd String
P
Hope Austin Siebert becomes the modern day Lou The Toe and The Scottish Hammer can equate as the modern version of Horace Gillom. When The Toe in his prime anytime from from40 yd line inn it was almost an automatic 3 points. During the 1950 season Chubby Grigg did some of the FG and PAT workload.

Legend
Legend

47. Born in Willowick.

Moved to Harrisburg, Pa. in 50. and moved back in 1960.

That is when I became a fan. I delivered the PD. Of course the last championship was 1964. So I was in 11th grade. It was something.

Time to repeat. (humor).

When you follow a team that long it is a part of your fabric.

"Time has come today" release the Kraken.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Tailgate Forum Browns Team When You Were Born

Link Copied to Clipboard