Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
lampdogg #1649631 08/13/19 10:14 PM
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: lampdogg
He kinda looks/acts like Doug Heffernan, when Carrie was really mad.
thumbsup Haha good one

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
oobernoober #1649643 08/14/19 01:51 AM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: oobernoober
Originally Posted By: Rishuz
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater
I love the return to discipline and toughness under Kitchens.

If Mangini had had this much talent, we'd have several playoff runs under our belt.
yeah, thats the truth. Mangini had the right mindset IMO but not the personality or talent

I don't know. I watch Mangini on First Take and it's evident there's a reason he's no longer in the league. The guy is severely out of touch. I would bet anything he would take Colt McCoy over Baker just because Baker's personality doesn't fit what he thinks it should be. There's a reason Mangini traded away talent and surrounded himself with yes men.

I don't think Mangini could handle talented players. They wouldn't be able to conform to his ideals.

Somebody said this (I'm paraphrasing) on here when Mangini was on his way out, and it's taken almost all this time to really understand this...

The idea behind Mangini is/was great, but Mangini the person/coach was just never going to work. The guy's personality just didn't have the right balance of intensity, being able to reach the players, and working within a FO. All the elements were there, but the mixture just wasn't right, if that makes sense.

Spot on... you spotted Mangini’s Achilles heel and why he is not in the league in a significant capacity. Out of touch, could not deal with personalities.

There will be no playoffs. Can’t play with who we have out there and compounding it with garbage playcalling and worse execution. We don’t have good skill players on offense period. Browns 20 - Bears 17.

lampdogg #1649678 08/14/19 09:08 AM
R
Legend
Legend
R
Originally Posted By: lampdogg
He kinda looks/acts like Doug Heffernan, when Carrie was really mad.

Love that show.

WooferDawg #1649685 08/14/19 09:55 AM
O
Legend
Legend
O
I can't take credit. Someone else said that, and while it stuck with me I really didn't understand for a couple years.

I think it's a shame, really. The guy had all the tools to be an awesome coach. He had the drive, the intensity, the brains... all that. I think he was able to connect with some players. He got mediocre players to play above their talent level.

I can't really put it into words... he had all the elements of a good/great coach, but the mixture just didn't turn out right.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Rishuz #1649691 08/14/19 10:10 AM
Legend
Legend
I love King of Queens too ... especially the chemistry w/Jerry Stiller

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
DiamDawg #1649721 08/14/19 02:01 PM
E
Legend
Legend
E
My reference in comparing Kitchens with a young Parcells was not in running or passing but in character, methods and even talking to the press. For instance with a straight face he said he already has a series with 2 DT lining up in FB
and 2 TE with no WRs...then he had to explain to Grossi that he was just kidding.

As for system, its a different era Young Parcells vs Kitchens. And also Parcells was more Defensive minded while Kitchens is Offense But in their character and the way they coach as in dealing with players being hard and yet fair.

Also I've heard Freddie in a presser tell the media, "I'm not going to reveal too much. Let you know everything, aint' happening" something along those lines.

jmho

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Dawgs4Life #1649733 08/14/19 02:31 PM
R
Legend
Legend
R
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life
I love King of Queens too ... especially the chemistry w/Jerry Stiller

The two best sitcoms of all time have Jerry Stiller in them.

Rishuz #1649774 08/14/19 04:10 PM
Legend
Legend
I cant argue that one haha ... especially his role as Frank Costanza ... “Why in the hell would you trade Jay Buhner ... “

bonefish #1649832 08/14/19 05:51 PM
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: bonefish

Everyone can guess because we don't know.

Mangini has not been a target for a head coach job so there must be something to that.

It has nothing to do with his knowledge of the game. He is a bright guy.

My guess to why he has not been a candidate is leadership of a team. Not from a organizational standpoint.
But leading players and earning their respect.

Just a guess.

Until he actually accomplishes something as a head coach then all is speculation.

Everyone has their opinion and they should, on this one I am correct. Mangini won games with as talent starved a team as ever downed a set of cleats. He simply found ways to get more from less.

The fact he wasn't given another stint as a HC shows how screwed up the league is IMO. Look he had the Jets ready to win multiple SB when he left, he would have won here too but he needed talent or at least some talent go back and look at the roster he had, he shouldn't have won a game yet he did !

BTTB

AKA Upbeat Dawg

Can't believe I am in a group that is comprised of the best NOT just fans but people on the planet.
C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: Brown to the Bone
Originally Posted By: bonefish

Everyone can guess because we don't know.

Mangini has not been a target for a head coach job so there must be something to that.

It has nothing to do with his knowledge of the game. He is a bright guy.

My guess to why he has not been a candidate is leadership of a team. Not from a organizational standpoint.
But leading players and earning their respect.

Just a guess.

Until he actually accomplishes something as a head coach then all is speculation.

Everyone has their opinion and they should, on this one I am correct. Mangini won games with as talent starved a team as ever downed a set of cleats. He simply found ways to get more from less.

The fact he wasn't given another stint as a HC shows how screwed up the league is IMO. Look he had the Jets ready to win multiple SB when he left, he would have won here too but he needed talent or at least some talent go back and look at the roster he had, he shouldn't have won a game yet he did !

Eric Mangini doesn't have a job because he is a weirdo.

A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
I guess McCoy or Delhomme probably won't take you to the playoffs.

One of the few bright spots: Hillis' first season.

Last edited by AZBrown; 08/14/19 05:58 PM. Reason: Spelling
bonefish #1651448 08/19/19 12:13 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
The only thing Mangini and Freddie has in common is their expectations of self discipline. Players interact with Freddie like he is one of "US". Mangini wouldn't even speak with players. These players love Freddie but they also respect the hell out of Freddie.

Tough physically and tough mentally is kind of the theme this year. I love what I see. This team is flat out loaded in talent and despite all you hear about the larger than life egos, you don't see it on the practice field. You see guys wanting to win every play even in practice. Freddie has the pulse of this team.

Now I do see some serious moves coming. This is the big week for week.

bonefish #1652186 08/21/19 09:55 PM
Legend
Legend

The Freddie Kitchens Show - 8/20

Freddie Kitchens joined Beau and Nathan as the Browns prepare to take on the Tampa Bay Bucs.

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
bonefish #1652214 08/22/19 12:45 AM
C
Legend
Legend
C
I saw this the other day but didn't see it posted on here.

Kitchens just seems like a good dude.

bonefish #1655394 08/30/19 11:23 AM
T
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
T
I found this interesting. From Yahoo....

Browns head coach Freddie Kitchens is in charge of his offense.
But he’s going to let offensive coordinator Todd Monken call some plays tonight, and has secretly let him do so throughout the preseason.
Via Mary Kay Cabot of the Cleveland Plain Dealer, Kitchens said on his radio show that Monken has had the lead role at times in the preseason already.
“I haven’t really fully decided, but I know Todd will call some of them,” Kitchens said. “Some of it depends on what we do at the quarterback situation initially, but he’ll definitely get the opportunity. He called some of the other games but we just didn’t advertise it. Just didn’t feel the need to. In case it went bad, I didn’t want him suffering the consequences from it. . . .
“But we’ll do something. I always want to continue to let guys develop in this system, more importantly, just in case. You know, you never know.”
Kitchens is going to call the plays during the regular season, and his relationship with Monken required some defending early in camp. They say everything is smooth now, and letting Monken call preseason plays is at least a goodwill gesture.
Hue Jackson allowed Kitchens to do the same in the past, and Kitchens said he viewed it as valuable experience (which showed when Jackson was fired and he took over).
“I was going to prepare just like it was my role and I was hoping someone else would see it because I’d never gotten the opportunity anywhere else,” Kitchens said. “I was glad for the opportunity, and I was definitely treating it as an interview for other teams — not necessarily here.”
Monken has experience calling plays from his days in Tampa Bay.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/freddie-kitchens-let-todd-monken-104727684.html

bonefish #1655405 08/30/19 11:52 AM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
One of the things that is always good to do is to get comfortable with your coordinator. Letting a coordinator call plays gets them on the same page. I would love to hear the in game discussions.

Pretty smart thing to do.

There will be no playoffs. Can’t play with who we have out there and compounding it with garbage playcalling and worse execution. We don’t have good skill players on offense period. Browns 20 - Bears 17.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Freddie

Link Copied to Clipboard