Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Swish Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Look, I understand the point of not demonizing past actions by our ancestors by trying to look at things from a moral lens of 2019.

But someone has yet to explain to me in what universe is defending rape and incest of the past by a sitting us Congressmen - or ANYONE for that matter - an acceptable argument to make?

I mean REALLY, conservatives?

I thought the “slaves were well fed” narrative was mind blowing.

I thought “the body shuts down when a woman gets rape so she can’t get pregnant” narrative was an abomination.

But this?

What the hell is this?

https://thehill.com/homenews/house/45742...ot-for-rape-and

Rep. Steve King (R-Iowa) on Wednesday questioned whether there would be "any population of the world left" if not for rape and incest throughout history, The Des Moines Register reported.

King was speaking in Urbandale, Iowa, where he defended anti-abortion legislation he sponsored in Congress that did not have exceptions for rape or incest.

"What if we went back through all the family trees and just pulled out anyone who was a product of rape or incest? Would there be any population of the world left if we did that?" King told the crowd at the Westside Conservative Club. "Considering all the wars and all the rapes and pillages that happened throughout all these different nations, I know that I can't say that I was not a part of a product of that."

The Catholic lawmaker argued that the bad circumstances of a baby's conception does not negate their right to life.

"It's not the baby's fault for the sin of the father, or of the mother," he said.

The nine-term congressman has a history of making controversial comments.

King sparked bipartisan backlash in January for questioning during an interview with The New York Times how terms such as "white supremacist" and "white nationalist" became "offensive."

The comments were quickly denounced and House Republicans responded by removing King from his positions on the House Judiciary, Agriculture and Small Business committees.

The House also overwhelmingly passed a resolution condemning white nationalism and white supremacy by a 424-1 vote. The embattled lawmaker voted in favor of the resolution.

The lawmaker denounced white supremacist ideologies at the time and reiterated his stance on Wednesday. He also told the crowd that he supports his defense of the West, calling the United States "the flagship for Western civilization."

King claimed that political insiders told him that the controversy surrounding his comments was part of a plot to remove him from office, The Register reported.

"People think it was an organic media feeding frenzy, but no, it was orchestrated from the beginning," he said. "They had told me, heads up before Christmas, they're going to try to drive you out of office and get you to resign. Within 24 hours, you had people saying 'resign, resign, resign.' Why? Because the New York Times misquoted me?"

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
P
Legend
Legend
P
This is what I was warning about when people fought against political correctness. I mean I get it in theory. But what I thought would happen has come to pass. People use that as an excuse to say nasty, appalling things that aren't about political correctness. They simply mean, nasty and evil.

These type of things used to hide under rocks. But in the era of Trump, anything goes. No matter how insane it is.

At least now it's easier to see who they are. So there's that.

I guess nobody bothered to tell him the worlds population is exploding. Maybe he's only talking about the zero population growth in America? It seems he's really concerned about white people becoming extinct in America.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
O
Legend
Legend
O
This is what the Christian right wants to hear...

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
Swish Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
I have a question.

What will your narrative be if now that we get to “see who they are”, instead of leaving, they actually gain popularity and support?

For example. Everyone tries to avoid talking about people in generalizations, yet king has a very long history of saying bigoted, sexist, racist, and xenophobic things.

If he once again wins his seat in 2020, will you once again try to defend the voters despite the fact that they keep putting him in? Because the majority in his district certainly don’t seem to mind, or he would’ve been gone already. I certainly don’t see how I’m wrong blasting the voters in his district, they voted for this.

If trump wins again in 2020, what will be the excuse for voters then? How can I not come away thinking they the majority in this country hold racist views and/or are completely unbothered by it?

Because the evidence will say.......

I’ve stopped being outraged at the politicians, because it’s expected.

I’m not looking at the people who vote them in. At some point the people have to be held accountable.

Or....maybe that’s how our country will always be. Maybe, just maybe, this is EXACTLY what America is.

I can’t wait to see what the evidence shows in 2020.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
Legend
Legend
King has always been and still is...Spooky!

Oh, I thought it was the writer.

Last edited by 40YEARSWAITING; 08/14/19 03:05 PM.
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: Swish

If trump wins again in 2020, what will be the excuse for voters then? How can I not come away thinking they the majority in this country hold racist views and/or are completely unbothered by it?

Well actually you're talking about two different things here. I would have to agree with you about a district voting someone back into office with a track record like King. The majority actually decides that election.

But not so with the presidential election. That process is so bastardized that the majority of voters means nothing. Hillary won the popular vote by more than 3,000,000 votes and still lost the election.

Still, I get what you're saying. More people seem to promote values that should have and were thought be a history of days gone by. But when it comes to who is elected president, the majority doesn't alwayd have anything to do with it.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
I
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I
At this point I’m content to sit back and watch the world burn . When our “leaders” can say things like this and have zero accountability ? We are and have been rotting from the inside for too long .

T
Legend
Legend
T
I don't get it, I don't know who got hurt, did unborn babies get hurt, by this dudes comments.

All I see is another person can't speak unless they "check in with the left first"

As if that would matter,

and now the left is calling for them to resign, or

other ways to silence someone.

This kind of thing happens in "bad" countries too,

Tow the line or else, it's curtains for you.

Swish Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
republicans have called for him to resign as well.

also, it says alot that you're defending this. what king said was disgusting.

- Theodore Roosevelt
O
Legend
Legend
O
I'll be around the next time you post... run it past me first, maybe I'll stamp your pass. wink

Last edited by OldColdDawg; 08/14/19 10:04 PM.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Right wing nut....

There will be no playoffs. Can’t play with who we have out there and compounding it with garbage playcalling and worse execution. We don’t have good skill players on offense period. Browns 20 - Bears 17.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Considering that 1 in 6 people in this world are related to Ghengis Khan, or that the world's population dropped to under 10000 humans at the end of the last ice age, he's not wrong about what he said. He damn sure could have said it better.

[Linked Image from s2.excoboard.com]
Legend
Legend
Not surprised your supporting yet another deplorable white elitist in congress. Fight the fight bro. You’re the minority now. Lol

A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives.
– Jackie Robinson
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: PerfectSpiral
Not surprised your supporting yet another deplorable white elitist in congress. Fight the fight bro. You’re the minority now. Lol

Not supporting him. He's always flip flopped too much for me. Technically he's correct in his statement. Politically he's too dumb to realize no one wants to hear that.

It's like when Jimmy the Greek told a reporter that blacks were good at certain sports because a lot of them were bred for size and strength during slavery. Historically he was right, but politically he shouldn't have said it.

[Linked Image from s2.excoboard.com]
Legend
Legend
Dead right or dead wrong, you're dead either way.

Being removed previously from all committee assignments, puts King squarely in the dead wrong category.

#GMSTRONG
Legend
Legend
Quote:
"What if we went back through all the family trees and just pulled out anyone who was a product of rape or incest? Would there be any population of the world left if we did that?"

I'm not even 100% sure what point he is trying to make, it's really just a bizarre and weird thing to say, but let me answer his question.. yes, there would still be population left. Population that was descended from babies that were fathered by the person the woman wanted to have a baby with.. y'know, consensually.

To state that babies wouldn't have been born without rape and incest is just.. I don't even have words to describe how stupid that is.

yebat' Putin
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Let the voters in Iowa decide his future.

Hopefully they will send him into retirement.

There will be no playoffs. Can’t play with who we have out there and compounding it with garbage playcalling and worse execution. We don’t have good skill players on offense period. Browns 20 - Bears 17.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: ChargerDawg
Let the voters in Iowa decide his future.

Hopefully they will send him into retirement.

Iowa:

Idiots
Out
Walking
Around.

Don't rest your hopes on these citizens. They not only voted King in, they have kept him in for 16 years. saywhat

You sweet, naive young thing, you.

"too many notes, not enough music-"
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: DCDAWGFAN
Quote:
"What if we went back through all the family trees and just pulled out anyone who was a product of rape or incest? Would there be any population of the world left if we did that?"

I'm not even 100% sure what point he is trying to make, it's really just a bizarre and weird thing to say, but let me answer his question.. yes, there would still be population left. Population that was descended from babies that were fathered by the person the woman wanted to have a baby with.. y'know, consensually.

To state that babies wouldn't have been born without rape and incest is just.. I don't even have words to describe how stupid that is.

It's a feable attempt to justify the Far Rights stance on everything.. To cover up to hide

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Palus Politicus Steve King: 'Would there be any population of the world left' if not for rape and incest?

Link Copied to Clipboard