Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1649861 08/14/19 08:39 PM
Legend
OP Offline
Legend

Honestly, I have no idea who the top five are. I was interested in who people believe to be the top five.

USA today ranked 2018 top five as follows:

1. Vikings
2. Eagles
3. Jags
4. Ravens
5. Bengals

That is surprising especially the Bengals.

I could see the Vikings and Eagles being there again. The rest I have some doubts.

I could see the Pats in there. I like the Texans defense.

The Browns? I don't know. We have some good pieces.

But at this point I just do not know because I have not seen them play all together for real.

They could be top five.

So, give me your top five. Add why if you feel strongly about them.

Legend
Legend
It's hard for me to keep up with all 32 teams no days.

All I know is Browns should be top 10 this year.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
Browns have to show something (stop the run) before getting anywhere near the top 10 yet, imo.

5. Pats
4. Jags
3. Cowboys
2. Bears
1. Chargers

Jags D-line, Bears and Chargers secondary, etc...

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I'd expect us to be in the top 32.

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
Legend
Legend
That’s hard to believe the Bengals from last year are top 5 ... we torched them both games

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
Legend
For what it's worth, Yahoo Fantasy Football has the top 10 ranked as:

1. Chicago
2. LA Raiders
3. New England
4. Cleveland
5. Baltimore
6. New Orleans
7. LA Chargers
8. Kansas City
9. Philadelphia
10. Minnesota

Fantasy Players themselves are drafting them in this order:

1. Chicago
2. LA Raiders
3. Jacksonville
4. Baltimore
5. Minnesota
6. LA Chargers
7. Cleveland
8. Houston
9. New England
10. Atlanta

T
Legend
Legend
T
I don't know about defenses,
How about

1. Saints
2. Atlanta
3. New England
4. Tennessee
5. ????

Maybe the Chargers, 2019 of course.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
Legend
Legend
Tennessee and LA Chargers would be on my top list as well. They both have very good front 7s (and LAC has Derwin James to boot)

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
OP Offline
Legend

Interesting.

Raiders?

I think the Ravens lost to many key defensive players to be ranked that high.

E
Legend
Legend
E
Originally Posted By: bonefish

Honestly, I have no idea who the top five are. I was interested in who people believe to be the top five.

USA today ranked 2018 top five as follows:

1. Vikings
2. Eagles
3. Jags
4. Ravens
5. Bengals

That is surprising especially the Bengals.

I could see the Vikings and Eagles being there again. The rest I have some doubts.

I could see the Pats in there. I like the Texans defense.

The Browns? I don't know. We have some good pieces.

But at this point I just do not know because I have not seen them play all together for real.

They could be top five.

So, give me your top five. Add why if you feel strongly about them.

In my 20's there was a game called Strat-O-Matic, was big on baseball and then they expanded to football, great game. It was located on Long Island so we would go right to their factory and buy the most updated versions. It got so big on the Island Leagues were formed and with drafts. My good friend asked for me to join him and create a team. Point of this is:

We had to pick a Defense - One of the worst Defenses in the NFL that previous year were the Seahawks (we are talking late 70's) The team was so bad they were behind immediately and never caught up. Statistically they actually had the best PASS DEFENSE which in real football was not the case but statistically cause nobody really passed on them after the first half they turned up great. So while others were drafting their defense early we waited and got IMPACT Players then mid rounds took the seahawks. You could devise plans to stop the run pretty well with individual Talent that were Pro Bowlers...and the pass game was pretty dependent on the roll of the dice against your card well our card was amazing!!!

So when I see a bottom of the barrel team in the top 5 of defense it reminds me of those Statistical great Seahawk defense that really was not that good! Ergo Bengals....
jmhexplanation of the STATS like Diam says are for LOSERS wink

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: eotab
In my 20's there was a game called Strat-O-Matic, was big on baseball and then they expanded to football, great game.

This brings back some memories. My friends and I also really got into APBA for baseball and football. Great games.

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: CapCity Dawg
In my 20's there was a game called Strat-O-Matic, was big on baseball and then they expanded to football, great game.

This brings back some memories. My friends and I also really got into APBA for baseball and football. Great games.

Yep. We had an APBA Football League with about eight of us participating. It was a BLAST! I had the Sipe era Browns. I remember beating the Raiders, in the playoffs, on a last minute kickoff return by Dino Hall. Those were the days. wink

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
Legend
OP Offline
Legend

This may sound simplistic.

If the Browns defense ends up some place in the top ten.

And as most believe we will end up quite high offensively. Maybe top five.

We are in for a wild ride and a good record.

Legend
Legend
Yeah, if our D is top 10 we’ll be one of the best teams in the league

T
Legend
Legend
T
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life

That goes for every year, not just years with Baker,

wai- nevermind.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: THROW LONG

That goes for every year, not just years with Baker,

wai- nevermind.
tongue

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
My picks...

1) Vikings
2) Bears
3) Chargers
4) Titans
5) ????? Steelers ?????

My bottom 5...

32) Raiders
31) Seahawks
30) Giants
29) Bucs
28) Bengals

Legend
Legend
J/C

The cardinals defense looked awful last night ... not sure who they were missing

E
Legend
Legend
E
Our League was held at a Holiday Inn...with over a hundred participants - It was limited to the same amount of teams that were in the actual NFL and there was some sizeable money involved. It was fun, I was still playing sports but definitely was a blast and my friend had the money to spend of course we actually made money year after year. wink

Back to the thread, apologies:

My expectations is a top 3 Defense this year.

Hard to tell cause we have only played the Redskins a not so good team and do we get excited cause Richardson, Vernon and Schobert did not participate. Will we become Awesome? or just Good???

I think health is a key factor as the pass rush should help the Coverage tremendously but we are not that deep in CBs like most the NFL.

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
We don't get to see all the practices nor what goes on in the meetings.

Going by what I have read and followed from pressers and interviews.

I was listening to Zagura who covered the Colts practice this week. And after reading what has been available.

The vibe has been the defensive front is good and deep. Second year players like Avery, Ekulale, Lawerence, have all improved. The front Vernon, Richardson, Ogunjobi, and Myles have been dominant when playing together.

The rookie LB's Wilson and Taki have been better than expected. The DB's talented and deep.

Starting to get the impression that this defense could be really good.

I don't want to rush to judgement before seeing them play when it counts. But things seem encouraging.

Just looking at Myles, Ward, Schobert, and the other pro bowl candidates the talent seems obvious.

Wilks the scheme and how they execute still remain to be seen.

We may be in for a shock when we see them under real game conditions.

D
Legend
Legend
D
Not me bro ... i expect an incredibly good D ... talent out the wazoo all over ...

I been talking about that front since we signed Richardson and traded for Vernon ... then we add Greedy to Ward/Mitchell .... if greedy is what they say he is ... its as good a 3 corners as their is in the league ...

We got a shot dawg ... i’m Not lowering my expectations because we haven’t seen them do it yet or Wilks will utilize them so badly it takes some of their talent away ...

Barring injuries ... this is gonna be a special special year on the lake ... its gonna be DIFFERENT!!!!

T
Legend
Legend
T
That’s hard to believe the Bengals from last year are top 5 ... we torched them both games

Ya! They don't have the boogeyman anymore either. rofl

V. Burrfict! When he was coming back from injury last year some bengal fan told me they were getting the boogeyman coming back, I about cracked up.

T
Legend
Legend
T

I think health is a key factor as the pass rush should help the Coverage tremendously but we are not that deep in CBs like most the NFL.

What.

I'd say they are as stacked at "cover corner" as any year since the return in 99, actually first if I went year to year.

and total DB's they're probably top 3 in years since the return. but those other years it was the star quality of the safeties too,

but pure cover corner, with Carrie, Mitchell, Ward, and A.Greedy Williams, I don't remember a year with a top 4 like that,
Plus I'm high on Pipkins, High on Whitehead, and Randall is/was solid, ... and top it off, Redwine played corner in college, and the late round pick, Conner? his natural position is cover corner,

I'd say the Browns have more "depth" at corner than receiver, especially with Callaway susp. 4 games, and Perriman leaving, and Louis not back, and Duke traded,

I'd guess they'd have to be at least top 10 in cover corner depth if ranking the 32 teams, but, I don't know the rest of the NFL, just that this is one of the Browns most deep years.

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Agreed and as you said barring injuries. I would still feel better if we could add a run stuffing DL.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: Homewood Dog
Agreed and as you said barring injuries. I would still feel better if we could add a run stuffing DL.

It's nice to nitpick about a player who is going to play like 25% of the snaps instead of need a starting QB.

Legend
OP Offline
Legend

The offense has drawn the attention. Rightfully so because of Odell, Baker, Chubb, and Jarvis.

We know what Myles brings. Ogunjobi we saw last year.

But we have not seen Richardson and Vernon playing with those guys.

I am curious to see this defense intact playing.

The potential is there.

V
Legend
Legend
V
1. Bears
2. Jags
3. Vikings
4. Ravens
5. Dallas

I would put the Browns in the 20-25 range.

R
Legend
Legend
R
Didn't the JAGs defense take a big step back last year?

Or was it just majorly terrible offense?

I remember Ramsey having a down year.

People seem high on their D this year.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Fifth overall last year. But, their O was so freaking horrible that they were put in bad situations and the locker room became divided.

Legend
Legend
J/c

If you look at the Jags defense, it’s pretty stout across the board

The Vikings is another one i really like

DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum 2019 Top Five Defenses

Link Copied to Clipboard