Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
TTTDawg Offline OP
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
May you Rest in Peace

Peter Fonda Dead at 79 After Respiratory Failure from Lung Cancer: 'Please Raise a Glass to Freedom'
Peter Fonda was best known for his starring role as Wyatt in 1969’s Easy Rider

By Elizabeth Leonard and Joelle Goldstein
August 16, 2019 06:17 PM
FB
Twitter

More
Peter Fonda

Peter Fonda
Peter Fonda, the son of Henry Fonda and the younger brother of Jane Fonda, has died, PEOPLE confirms. He was 79.

Peter’s family confirmed the sad news in an exclusive statement to PEOPLE on Friday and said that the two-time Oscar-nominee died after suffering respiratory failure due to lung cancer.

“It is with deep sorrow that we share the news that Peter Fonda has passed away,” the family said. “[Peter] passed away peacefully on Friday morning, August 16 at 11:05 a.m. at his home in Los Angeles surrounded by family.”

“The official cause of death was respiratory failure due to lung cancer,” they continued.

“In one of the saddest moments of our lives, we are not able to find the appropriate words to express the pain in our hearts. As we grieve, we ask that you respect our privacy,” they wrote.

“And, while we mourn the loss of this sweet and gracious man, we also wish for all to celebrate his indomitable spirit and love of life,” the Fonda family finished. “In honor of Peter, please raise a glass to freedom.”

Peter Fonda

Peter Fonda DAVID HEERDE/SHUTTERSTOCK
RELATED: Growing Up Fonda

Peter, who became a movie star and counterculture icon with his 1969 movie Easy Rider, was born in New York City to screen legend Henry Fonda and Frances Seymour Brokaw.

The star spent his early years growing up alongside his older sister, Jane, until he was sent to boarding school at just 6 years old.

Their childhood was struck by tragedy when their mother, who struggled with her mental health, died by suicide when Peter was 10 and Jane was 12.

In his 1998 book, Don’t Tell Dad: A Memoir, Peter said his mom’s death was something that his “forbidding figure” father, who was remote and often away on set, lied about and subsequently “ignored”.

“When I walked toward [my family] they told me to go through the closed doors and into the living room. I opened the doors and saw Jane, Grandma, and Dad sitting on the couches. Jane was on Dad’s lap,” Peter recalled in the memoir. “I went to Grandma, and she told me Mother had died of a heart attack, in a hospital.”

https://people.com/movies/peter-fonda-dead-at-79/

Let this sink in..... On 12-31-23 it be will 123123.
On the flip side, you can tune a piano but you can't tune-a-fish.

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
RIP. Not a brilliant actor, but he was a key figurehead in the Hollywood counterculture and hung out with them all, including the Beatles & even Manson and his family on the Spahn ranch.

Regarding Fonda's films, he will forever be remembered for 'Easy Rider', but I have a particular soft spot for the B-Movie acid exploitation film, "The Trip".

V
Legend
Legend
V
RIP Peter Fonda. Always thought you were a cool dude.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Damn, it's been 50 freaking years since that movie came out.

A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
Loved him in "The Hired Hand" and "Ulee's Gold" as well,

RIP

Legend
Legend
RIP to a great actor

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
Legend
Ulee's Gold was a really good movie.

Not popular but Peter was excellent in that role.

Legend
Legend
Easy Rider baby

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
Originally Posted By: bonefish
Ulee's Gold was a really good movie.

Not popular but Peter was excellent in that role.

Both "Ulee's Gold" and "The Hired Hand" were really quiet movies, if that makes any sense.

Folks used to his "out there" roles may not have appreciated these two.

In "Ulee's Gold", the characters of Eddie and Ferris were really creepy and well-played as the hoods.

Fonda made "Hired Hand" with the popularity and money he got from "Easy Rider". Good soundtrack on "Hired Hand."

Last edited by AZBrown; 08/17/19 12:08 PM.
Legend
Legend
Underage and snuck in to see it with a few friends. Captain America bike and outfit was coolest thing we had seen and we loved Steppenwolf. Real counterculture activity for us. Loved it and our parents hated it. Not a raging fine actor, but I liked most of the movie. Forbidden fruit and all that. Rest in peace.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
As the twentieth century pulls away.

RIP

DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Everything Else... Peter Fonda Dies at 79 Years Old

Link Copied to Clipboard