Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life
Sounds like Strong had a good day today

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
Legend
Legend

#gmSTRONG
L
Legend
Legend
L
So we don't practice penalties, but fighting is no biggie?

These joint practices might have to be re-considered. A player is more liable to get into it with an opponent at camp than a teammate.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Originally Posted By: Pdawg

• Practice on one of the two fields stopped when Colts receiver Daurice Fountain suffered an injury and screamed in pain. Colts owner Jim Irsay and many players from both teams consoled him as medical personnel immobilized his left leg. He was carted off the field at 5 p.m. NFL Network reported he suffered a dislocated and fractured ankle.

They were counting on him big time to be the guy opposite Hilton.
I fully expect the Colts to be a buyer of our excess at WR after this week or next. You *know* they are looking closely at that group given how thin they are.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Legend
Legend
Good point ... It wouldn’t shock me to see a deal get done ... wonder if they have any excess RG’s smile

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
O
Legend
Legend
O
I would imagine there's a fair amount of pent up frustration going into a joint practice. Going against your own for a couple weeks means you have to hold back and be more careful, and then suddenly you're competing against another team, you get to unload a little bit.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Legend
Legend
Yeah that’s true ... it seems like every practice has some fights. It’ll be interesting to see if it carries over to the game tomorrow

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
H
1st String
1st String
H
Indy star

Colts-Browns observations: Indianapolis offensive line needs to fix its pass protection
Joel A. Erickson and Jim Ayello, Indianapolis Star Published 9:18 p.m. ET Aug. 15, 2019 | Updated 9:23 p.m. ET Aug. 15, 2019

Frank Reich typically doesn't let loose.

But at one point in Thursday’s joint practice against the Cleveland Browns, the Indianapolis Colts coach wasn’t happy with how his offensive line was identifying and picking up blitzes and stunts, and he let them hear it.

A line that led the league by allowing just 18 sacks a year ago had issues on consecutive days of practice against the Browns, and Reich wasn’t happy with the free rushers in Jacoby Brissett’s face.

Indianapolis Colts wide receiver Zach Pascal (14) reaches for the ball as Cleveland Browns cornerback Greedy Williams (26) defends during their joint practice at Grand Park in Westfield on Thursday, August 15, 2019.
Indianapolis Colts wide receiver Zach Pascal (14) reaches for the ball as Cleveland Browns cornerback Greedy Williams (26) defends during their joint practice at Grand Park in Westfield on Thursday, August 15, 2019. (Photo: Matt Kryger/IndyStar)

“We had some pretty shaky moments in the middle from a protection standpoint,” Reich said. “It was really disappointing in the sense of, you know, we led the league last year in fewest sacks and all that stuff. To come out here and not handle the pressure the way they brought it, we’ve got to learn from that.”

Indianapolis was working without its starting line. Left guard Quenton Nelson, who has been battling an ankle injury, and center Ryan Kelly did individual drills but did not take any snaps in 11-on-11 work, giving way to Jake Eldrenkamp and Josh Andrews, respectively.

ADVERTISING

The problem is, that’s no excuse. At some point during the regular season, the Colts likely will have to play without one of the starters, and Indianapolis must be better at picking up blitzes and stunts.

Brissett, who has taken all of the first-team reps as Andrew Luck battles the high-ankle injury that initially started as a calf strain, threw an interception on his first 11-on-11 play of the day, misfiring in the direction of T.Y. Hilton and getting picked off by Browns rookie Greedy Williams.

Brissett settled down and completed 12-of-19 passes, including a nice throw to Mo Alie-Cox for a touchdown in the final red-zone period, but he faced a lot of pressure, and it’s something the Colts must clean up.

“We’ve got to take our medicine and say, 'Hey, we got beat today from a protection standpoint,'” Reich said.

Get the Colts Insider newsletter in your inbox.
The latest Indianapolis Colts news, updates, insight and opinion from IndyStar's award-winning journalists.

Before the Browns arrived, Reich told reporters that he didn’t want to see the kind of fights that have made joint practices infamous.

Indianapolis and Cleveland avoided haymakers, but a practice that was chippy from the start boiled over at least five times as players had to be separated.

“You never want to see scuffles,” Reich said. “If it’s going to happen, it’s typically going to happen on the second day. It typically gets really chippy in special teams periods, for whatever reason. We just have to continue to try to eliminate those things.”

A back-and-forth between Deon Cain and Browns cornerback Sheldrick Redwine ended with both teams jawing and pushing. Colts running back Jonathan Williams got mixed up with a couple of Browns at one point. Rookie safety Khari Willis and Browns receiver Jaelen Strong got into it, and there was another fight between the Cleveland offense and the Colts defense.

The worst one, a fight that started between Colts running back Nyheim Hines and Browns linebacker Ray-Ray Armstrong during a special-teams period late in the practice, brought the majority of both teams out, and Reich was in the middle breaking it up.

Browns head coach Freddie Kitchens did not seem displeased with his team for fighting.

“I told you guys yesterday,” Kitchens said. “We are not into backing down from anything.”

Kitchens felt the Browns practiced on the Colts’ tempo in the first session between the teams, and he told his own team he wanted to practice at their tempo on Thursday.

Reich, for his part, thought the fights between the teams didn’t escalate too much.

“For the most part, they handled it well,” Reich said. “No big blows, anything like that. A little bit the normal course of business.”

Battling Baker
Indianapolis never got a chance to practice against Odell Beckham Jr. The Browns star was held out of 11-on-11 work due to a minor injury.

But quarterback Baker Mayfield is one heck of a test in his own right. When Cleveland’s No. 1 offense got its chance at a 2-minute drill on Thursday, Mayfield missed on his first throw, then ran off four consecutive completions, marching Cleveland down the field and capping it with a touchdown pass to Jarvis Landry.

Indianapolis also gave up a 65-yard touchdown run to Nick Chubb up the middle. Chubb and the Browns running game hit a few highlights over the two days, but this run clearly would have been a touchdown; Chubb was untouched.

After a slow start, the Colts defense made a few plays.

Rookie safety Khari Willis picked off Mayfield in 7-on-7, cornerback Kenny Moore intercepted Mayfield in 11-on-11 on a ball that Browns receiver Rashard Higgins couldn’t handle, and Willis nearly had a second pick, only failing to reel it in because Moore got his hands on it and broke it up.

Attendance
Luck (calf), defensive end Jabaal Sheard (knee), kicker Adam Vinatieri (knee), wide receiver Parris Campbell (hamstring), running back Jordan Wilkins (ankle), safety Clayton Geathers (undisclosed) and wide receiver Penny Hart (hamstring) did not practice.

Quick hits
Kemoko Turay had a “sack” for the second consecutive day. Turay battled a shoulder injury early in camp, but since he returned, the second-year defensive end has flashed some promising ability off the edge. … A snap sailed over Chad Kelly’s head at one point, another in a line of issues getting the snap right between the quarterbacks and centers on the second and third teams. … D’Onta Foreman had one impressive run, slicing through the hole on a pitch to the left for big yardage with the third-team offense. … Hale Hentges, who has had a great camp, had an unbelievable one-handed catch at the back of the end zone in one-on-ones, reaching with one hand and bringing it in, then toe-tapping with both feet.

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Originally Posted By: hungryhound
But at one point in Thursday’s joint practice against the Cleveland Browns, the Indianapolis Colts coach wasn’t happy with how his offensive line was identifying and picking up blitzes and stunts, and he let them hear it.

I want to know if this was due to our talent level, our scheme/calls, or their communication/player ability?

I want to be excited at the thought that our DL was just so good that one of the best lines in 2018 was getting abused, but it could also just be poor communication because they were down two starters.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Legend
Legend
One thing that seems to be emerging over the past couple weeks... Freddie seems bent on encouraging a physical brand of football and a take no prisoners / take no bs attitude. He was 100% unapologetic for the fights that took place during the joint practices and almost seems to encourage it.

For the most part, I like it. Football is a violent game that requires a violent demeanor. I think you have to be careful going into the season though. There are already some "quick trigger" type personalities on this team -- screaming at someone for a facemask then patting them on the back for a fistfight is a bit of a mixed message.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
T
Legend
Legend
T
Well they were down 2 starts on their OL,
I think pretty much even the Browns backups on DL, (given the free agent signings, and Myles, and all that,)

I mean the Browns 2nd team has got to have some experienced NFL'ers with several starts in the regular season in the past, Trevon Coley, Chris Smith, and we saw what Deveroe Lawarence did last week,
In pass pressure, it's no surprise the Browns would make the pocket break down, I mean you can only sit so many first teamers right?

This makes me remember a thing I read on DT, from about 3 or 4-5 weeks ago where the OTA or Camp practice mentioned Bakers day, and talked of how he had to run out of the pocket several times because of pressure.

---
I wish someone could come up with a running count, on how many pick 6's or just int's Greedy has been reported having since even OTA's, it's got to be over 6 right?

Man, If I'd put Denzell Ward at safety, TJ Carrie as the Nickel Slot corner,
Mitchell and Greedy as the outside corners, That is 4 man to man coverage guys right there, before you even use one of your safeties; That's riches.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
Legend
Legend
Quote:
the practice fields at Grand Park Sports Campus transformed into "Fight Club."

Evidently it didn't.. because your whole article violates the first rule of Fight Club.

yebat' Putin
D
Legend
Legend
D
The Tuna all day long baby .... thumbsup

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
The BIG Tuna! *L*

[Linked Image]

Legend
Legend
Browns preseason game No. 2 viewing guide: Nick Chubb-Kareem Hunt combo comes to forefront

By Nate Ulrich
Posted Aug 16, 2019 at 3:38 PM

INDIANAPOLIS — With Kareem Hunt returning to team drills this week after a groin injury kept him sidelined for most of training camp, the Browns received a sneak peek of the tandem the NFL's 2017 rushing champion can form with starter Nick Chubb.

The Indianapolis Colts got a taste of the dynamic running back duo Wednesday and Thursday in their joint practices with the Browns at Grand Park Sports Campus in Westfield, Indiana.

Hunt is now expected to make his preseason debut with the Browns when they face the Colts in the second exhibition game for both teams at 4 p.m. Saturday at Lucas Oil Stadium.

Because of Hunt's physical altercations with a woman in downtown Cleveland and a man in Put-in-Bay last year, he'll serve an eight-game suspension from the NFL and won't be eligible to play in the regular season until Nov. 10 against the Buffalo Bills.

The Browns are already thinking about the boost they will get from Hunt, provided he stays out of trouble, in Week 10.

"All I know is the season's long, right?" wide receiver Odell Beckham Jr. said after Thursday's joint practice. "And to have somebody who's of that caliber coming in, in the back end of the season fresh — you know what I'm saying."

Hunt is thinking big, too. Two years ago, the Willoughby South High School graduate led the NFL with 1,327 rushing yards and made the Pro Bowl as a rookie third-round draft pick with the Kansas City Chiefs. The Chiefs cut the University of Toledo product last year when a surveillance video surfaced showing him shoving and kicking a woman. John Dorsey, the former Chiefs General Manager who holds the same title with the Browns, threw Hunt a lifeline by signing him on Feb. 11.

Now Hunt insists he "definitely" believes the Browns can be as explosive on offense as the Chiefs, whose star playmakers include quarterback Patrick Mahomes, receiver Tyreek Hill and tight end Travis Kelce.

"We've just got a number of receivers, running back talent, a great quarterback, the same thing K.C. has," Hunt said. "So there's similarities.

"It's a lot of big pieces to this offense. It's hard to really find or point out a weak spot on this team, offensively and defensively."

As much as Beckham is excited about Hunt, the reverse is true as well. Hunt views Beckham as a downfield complement akin to Hill.

"[Hill has] tremendous speed," Hunt said. "I don't think I've ever seen speed like that before. It's just great, great talent. Odell is another guy who can just make big plays all the time."

Hunt had never previously been paired with a running back as formidable as Chubb, though. As a rookie second-round pick last year, Chubb didn't start until Week 7 but still finished with 996 rushing yards.

"No drop-off [from me to Chubb]," Hunt said. "He's definitely a great running back, and I consider myself one, too."

Beckham watched Chubb play at the University of Georgia.

"I think he's got great vision," Beckham said. "I think he's a great back. I'm definitely happy to have him."

But Beckham's scouting report was flawed. The superstar admits he didn't realize Chubb possesses elite breakaway speed. Chubb reminded everyone again Thursday, when he busted loose for a 65-yard touchdown run against the Colts, who employ Darius Leonard, an All-Pro linebacker and last year's NFL Defensive Rookie of the Year.

Coach Freddie Kitchens explained the Browns became believers in Chubb's home-run ability in the buildup to last year's draft.

"During the evaluation process, you saw the speed and you saw the agility," Kitchens said. "He has one of the best jump cuts I've ever seen. I'm not claiming I have seen every jump cut, so I'm sure I'm going to offend somebody with that. He has a good jump cut in the hole. He has great body control, balance and all the characteristics and skill sets that good running backs have."

Catching passes out of the backfield is a facet of the game Chubb has focused on this offseason.

"Nick is going to work his tail off," Kitchens said, "and he has really put a lot of time into that, and I think that it's showing. He feels more comfortable. A lot of it's just the comfort level. He feels more comfortable doing those things now, and he's pretty consistent catching the ball."

Kitchens declined to disclose how much Chubb, quarterback Baker Mayfield and the rest of the starters will play Saturday. The first-team offense and defense played a series in last week's preseason opener, a 30-10 win over Washington at FirstEnergy Stadium. This weekend, though, Chubb and Hunt should both be in action for the Browns on a game day for the first time.

Front four

The No. 1 defensive line of the Browns is expected to make its preseason debut as a group. End Myles Garrett and tackle Larry Ogunjobi played in the opener, but end Olivier Vernon and Sheldon Richardson sat out with minor injuries. All of them practiced this week, plus a key backup, edge rusher Genard Avery, returned from injury, too.

"[We're learning] how we play off each other, the things that we're doing, rushing, stopping the run," Ogunjobi said. "It's cool just being able to feel the guys out and understand this is what Myles does or Olivier, Sheldon, and then work off each other from there."

Although the Browns won't get a chance to sack four-time Pro Bowl quarterback Andrew Luck because he's injured and being replaced by Jacoby Brissett, the Colts should provide a good measuring stick because they have one of the better offensive lines in the league.

On the other hand, Colts coach Frank Reich has said All-Pro left guard Quenton Nelson likely won't play Saturday because he's working his way back from an ankle injury. Nelson sat out practice Wednesday and returned Thursday in a limited capacity.

Time to shine

With starting tight end David Njoku missing time with a knee injury, backup Demetrius Harris took center stage against the Colts. Harris became a frequent and reliable target of Mayfield in the joint practices. He'll look to maintain his momentum Saturday in a bid to receive more playing time in the regular season than he might have gotten otherwise.

"He was coming on before he went down with a concussion [earlier in camp]," Kitchens said, "and he looks like he picked up where he left off and is continuing to get better."

In the battle for a roster spot or two in the back end of the receiving corps, Jaelen Strong and undrafted rookie D.J. Montgomery strengthened their cases in the joint practices.

Kitchens has acknowledged their progress but stressed he wants them to become more consistent.

On the offensive line, rookie sixth-round selection Drew Forbes has worked his way into the competition at first-team right guard. Eric Kush is atop the depth chart, but Forbes took a few reps with the No. 1 offense Wednesday and Thursday.

Under the microscope

The kicking duel between incumbent Greg Joseph and rookie fifth-round pick Austin Seibert remains an important point of interest.

Both of them went 5-of-5 on field goals in the first joint practice Wednesday. There wasn't a field-goal period in Thursday's session.

Joseph has been better than Seibert throughout camp. In the preseason opener, Joseph made his lone field goal but went 1-of-2 on extra points. Seibert didn't attempt a field goal and went 2-of-2 on extra points.

https://www.ohio.com/sports/20190816/bro...impression=true

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend

12 questions with Joel Bitonio, who has seen the Browns come together in Indianapolis

https://www.clevelandbrowns.com/news/12-...medium=referral

The Browns have talent in each direction Joel Bitonio looks when he lines up at left guard and prepares to block for what could be one of the top offensive attacks in the NFL this season.

Bitonio, a six-year veteran, is one of the leaders of that offense, and he’s liked what he’s seen so far as the Browns continue their week in Indianapolis looking to inch closer toward making this season’s high offensive expectations a reality.

ClevelandBrowns.com talked with Bitonio ahead of the Browns’ second preseason game against the Colts and discussed the progress of the offense so far.

CB.com: How do you think the two practices with the Colts have gone?

Bitonio: I think it was really solid. I think it's always good to get some extra work in with different guys. You always want to see different pass rush moves, different teams and different schemes defensively. It was fun to go out there and battle. It got a little heated in the second day, but I think pretty much everyone in the second day gets a little heated. You get yelled at from coaches if you're not doing something right the night before, and you want to come out and really show out the next day. So it got a little heated, but I think, overall, we showed some really good things, and it'll be fun to play them on Saturday.

CB.com: Do you think you guys were a better overall team in the second practice?

Bitonio: Yeah, I think so. I think we did some really good stuff the first day. I think we ran the ball really well, but there was a lot more energy at practice the second day. It was a normal, clean practice, and we had a couple big plays on the two-minute drive. It was good. We felt good after the second day.

CB.com: How does the overall experience of the joint practice help the team come together?

Bitonio: The O-line has a lot of time to hang out, tell stories and play some card games. We have a room with a shuffleboard table and things like that, so it's been fun. You get to know your guys a little bit more. In training camp, you have such a regimen at home where you're doing the same thing every day. Here, you see different guys and run into different people, so it's pretty cool to see.

CB.com: Were you the one that put in that request for the shuffleboard table?

Bitonio: Yeah, it was a Joel Bitonio game room for the weekend. We got an Xbox in there, some ping pong, so it's fun. It's not quite that good of a board (room), but it gets the job done for the week.

CB.com: Is that a request that you couldn't have made as a rookie?

Bitonio: 100 percent. I might not have made it last year. I asked a few other people, and someone was just like, 'Just ask Freddie.' So I asked Freddie and he was like, 'Uh, yeah. We should've done that a while ago.' It was easy. Freddie is a good coach, and he'll make sure we get the things we need.

CB.com: What is it about the two-minute offense where everything is just working for the team?

Bitonio: Baker does a good job of getting us in the right spots, and then we just have to execute from there. We do a good enough job of pass protecting, and he gets the ball in a receiver's hands and then they make some plays. That catch from Jaelen (Strong) down the sideline was a huge catch, and then Jarvis (Landry) made a couple big plays. When you're converting like that, it's pretty easy. I don't know if the Colts gave us every look they had. They kind of sat back and played a little Cover 2, but it was fun to go out there and score. Every time you get a score on a two-minute drill, it's pretty fun.

CB.com: What did you like about the run-blocking game so far and how much has it improved since the start of camp?

Bitonio: (The Colts) are a penetrating front, so they have guys that are athletic and can get up the field. Any time you can get a couple bodies on them, you have a chance to move them a little bit. It's hard at practice because you see arm tackles and you think, 'Oh, would he have dove there to make that tackle?' With (Nick) Chubb most of the time, I'm like, 'I don't think they're making that tackle.' Yesterday, we saw a 65-yarder where Chubb literally didn't get touched. I was like, 'I think he made that. He scored on that one.' Run-blocking, even more than pass-blocking, takes time to develop the rapport with your guys. How do you work a double-team? How do you feel when guys are moving around? I think that with every day that goes on, we get a little bit better.

CB.com: What have you seen from Drew Forbes and the way he's tackled so many offensive line positions so far?

Bitonio: I think it's finally starting to slow down a little for him. I think the first OTAs and the first couple weeks of camp, you have so many places around you and his feet are just going crazy and his brain is like 'ahh,' and then he just goes out there and does something. Now it's fine, and he's understanding and he can take one step at a time. It's moving fast, but it's not moving that fast. I think that's just for the rookie, when you can make that step. It's good. He's physical, and he plays hard. Those are things you can't really coach. You're just trying to build off of that with everything else.

CB.com: Do you still give him heat for the 'Prospect X' thing?

Bitonio: I think he'll get heat for that forever.

CB.com: How has he handled that?

Bitonio: He's good. He's quiet, so it's not as fun to mess with him, but I think he's embraced it a little bit.

CB.com: How do the joint practices make the actual preseason game feel different?

Bitonio: You almost feel like you know the guys a little bit. You wonder if they showed you every pass rush move they had on 1-on-1s or if they're holding some of it back. You wonder what's going on. After the game, you have more respect for a guy you've been battling in practice. You say, 'Hey, it was fun, and we'll see you down the road, hopefully.'

CB.com: What are you looking for the offensive line to accomplish in the second preseason game?

Bitonio: Just continue to build on what we did in the first game. We didn't get a huge amount of playing time, but just continue to grow and try to take the next step. We passed the ball quite a few times that first game, so we'll see what goes. Whatever they call, we'll just go out there and try to execute it and build on what we did on the first week.

#gmSTRONG
Legend
Legend
J/c

I’m excited to see the Chubb/Hunt combo at the same time ... that’s a nightmare for defenses, especially if Chubb shows improved catching ability

T
Legend
Legend
T
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life
J/c

I’m excited to see the Chubb/Hunt combo at the same time ... that’s a nightmare for defenses, especially if Chubb shows improved catching ability

I'm worried about the first 8 weeks, and how everyone else, even Gray, has looked better than Hilliard,

Yet Hilliards' the one slotted behind Chubb; Chubb can't do it alone.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
Legend
Legend
Yeah, Hilliard has to look better the next few weeks IMO

Page 2 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2019 NFL Season Looking Back: Browns 21 Colts 18 Joint practice news

Link Copied to Clipboard