Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Legend
Legend

Not sure if you can judge the run game when the team as yet have not played the starters?

E
Legend
Legend
E
Some thoughts of our game.

Gilbert looked good so did Blough, is Stanton that important to the QB room - we do have a QB coach!

I thought Gillan won the punting job last night. Not many 70+ punts in the NFL and it was high and covered at least 60 in the air...just about the best punt I have ever seen in the NFL.

the rookie LBs were not as productive as they were our first game. Can't remember seeing Takitaki at all??? Also they showed a chart of our starters but many did not play at all so the list was incorrect.

They kept saying Avery but I could not see the number and don't remember seeing #55 at all. Assume it was Taylor...the announcers were terrible in identifying our players. I think they only did so after NFL Network had to tell them to do so...and it seemed they were reminded of that several times. As just before the next snap - oh Taylor made that tackle for Cleveland. Thanks for nothing!

Did Landry take the first couple of snaps and then didn't show or did he and OBJ sit out the entire game???

Strong and Higgins looked like starters.

TE don't know others I think Carlson later in the game.
But all I remember is Harris who if you ask me is not that good.

I thought this was your thread Dawgs4life???

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Legend
Legend
Mack Wilson is all over the place. You can tell he's a rookie, though, at times. He missed two pretty easy tackles on Indy's scoring drive that I bet he makes in college. But these guys in the pros are able to do that one little thing that makes you miss. Learning moment.

On offense, Hunt looked a little slow IMO, but he's also coming back from an injury. I'm really not worried about him because we know he can have success. Put him on the field with all of our starters and I think it's a different ballgame for him.

I thought our DL really did a nice job stringing out running plays. They had a tough time getting outside.

Overall, my impression was that that was a true preseason game. Backups and penalties. And then more penalties.

It's really a shame that the NFL charges full price for these games. Hey, it's a business and they're making money. But man, I couldn't fathom shelling out full price to see THAT.

I am unfamiliar with this feeling of optimism
P
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
P
Did anyone focus on Drew Forbes at RG? I saw only one comment by FL on him. I was just watching things and it wasn't until late in the 4th when I actually realized he was in at RG...For the most part I saw him stoning Shippy (Shipley??) and doing pretty well. Most of the others were being pushed back but not him. I did see him whiff one but the play was blown and so it was over before I could tell if his assignment was the 2nd level...Unfortunately this was very late in the game and only a series or 2 at most...

I thought I was wrong once....but I was mistaken...

What's the use of wearing your lucky rocketship underpants if nobody wants to see them????
Legend
Legend
I was going to ask about Forbes as well because I’m not as good as most at recognizing how OL play during the game.

In terms of our WRs, it’s the best group we’ve had in ... well, maybe forever (in my life at least). Guys like Montgomery, Strong, Higgins, and Willies have really impressed me. Those 4 and Landry and Beckham probably start the year for us. .. Ratley wasn’t on the field enough to be on the squad

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I'm getting to this late so I'm sure a lot has been covered so sorry if I'm repetitive.

They looked a little flat at the beginning. I think they were tired. Freddie fired them up though.

Our 2s & 3's looked better than many of our previous teams.

As a fan, I didn't like not seeing our starters. As a diehard fan, I totally get it and appreciate it.

Vernon looked like he had one move that didn't work. Not impressed.

Gilbert had a slow start but got it going and looked good.

I want to dump Stanton and keep Gilbert and Blough. I don't care if there's no "vet" in the room, that's why we have coaches. It's stupid to give up talent. JMHO

D'Ernest looked good, but it's really hard to chant his name. D'Eeeeernest! doesn't have much of a ring to it.

I like what I see from Strong & DJ. Higgins has turned himself into a stud, shows what hard work, determination, and a second chance can do for you. Willies didn't help himself with that drop but made a really nice two-handed grab on the slant TD pass.

Penalties were rampant. That one "illicit and unfortunate use of the helmet" or whatever the hell they're calling it now whenever a defensive helmet touches an offensive player was so ridiculous you had to ask yourself, what the hell was he supposed to do, unscrew his head before attempting the tackle?

Wilson and Greedy looked like rookies.

Good seeing Avery back on the field.

Obi will be a beast this year, I believe.

Freddie continues to tickle me, especially when he gets so whipped up over mistakes made by players who will never make the roster. I love his passion and commitment to getting it right.

The Guiseppi story may be over.

I wonder if Corbett even realizes he may be on his way out. He seems overall oblivious to just about everything.

Oh, and I liked what I saw from their QB behind Brissett, was it Walker? If they're receivers could catch, he would've had a pretty good outing. Chad Kelly flashed a little.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"I am undeterred and I am undaunted." --Kevin Stefanski

"Big hairy American winning machines." --Baker Mayfield

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Browns Camp Notes: Austin Corbett still in running for RG job
Freddie Kitchens doesn’t feel need to add another RB

DARYL RUITER
https://923thefan.radio.com/articles/cleveland-browns-still-considering-austin-corbett-right-guard

Cleveland, Ohio (92.3 The Fan) – Austin Corbett hasn’t seen work with he first-team offense at right guard since before the Orange and Brown scrimmage/practice on Aug. 3.

Corbett has been working almost exclusively as the backup center, while being shuffled at right and left guard with the twos and threes, but that doesn’t mean he’s out of the running for the starting job according to head coach Freddie Kitchens.

“No, he is not [out of the competition],” Kitchens said Sunday. “We have to have somebody that snaps the ball and not leave (C) JC Tretter on the field the whole game. Right now, Austin is working at center. We are working a couple of other guys at center that just are not getting the amount of reps.”

Corbett, who saw a combined 48 snaps, struggled mightily Saturday against the Colts backups and while Kitchens maintains the 33rd overall pick in the 2018 Draft is still in the running to start, his work tells a different story.

Corbett does not look like a starter and it’s clear that Kitchens is testing his versatility.

“When you do cut your roster down, you need a certain amount of guys that can snap the ball, a certain amount of guys that can play guard and a certain amount of guys that can play tackle,” Kitchens said. “If you ever have somebody that can play all three, you are kind of ahead of the game.”

While the perception is that Kitchens is running out of time to figure out what to do at right guard, he isn’t in a hurry to decide if he’ll stick with Eric Kush, who has been taking the majority of the one reps the last three weeks.

“We are going to continue to look at people,” Kitchens said. “I have a sense of urgency everywhere, but I don’t know that we are running out of time per se. I don’t know who sets the rules as far as to [when you have to name a starter]. I thought we only needed a starter by the time we get to September 8. That is the way I am approaching it. You probably would like to have one in place that Monday or Tuesday before. You may see something you haven’t seen in a guy up until then.

“I think a couple of the guys we have been playing there are just now getting kind of comfortable. We will see. We still have two games left and in theory six practices before we start preparation [for Week 1].”

Drew Forbes has gotten a look recently, and he saw time at both guard spots Saturday.

“He is continuing to get comfortable as far as knowing what to do and how to do it,” Kitchens said. “He is in the mix, and we will see where it goes. He is getting better. You see Drew getting better even within [practices].

“I think he got better as game went on. He was better in the game this week than he was last week in the game. He just needs to keep that upward trend. One thing I like to tell young guys is don’t make the same mistake twice. I don’t mind you making mistakes. Just don’t make it again. If we can continue to build our repertoire of that, then we will be OK, and that is at all positions.”

No body needed – With Dontrell Hilliard nursing a hamstring injury following the trade of Duke Johnson, the Browns are thin at running back but Kitchens doesn’t think they need another body.

“No, I think we are good,” Kitchens said. “Again, that is just like every position. We are always on the lookout for guys. Open communication between John, his staff and me, and we are always looking. We do not feel a sense of urgency right now to do anything.”

Kareem Hunt, who is suspended for the first eight games of the season, made his preseason debut Saturday. He ran twice for six yards and saw 11 snaps.

“I wanted to keep him between 10-15 plays, and he was right at that just because he is coming off of an injury really,” Kitchens said. “Keep in mind, the first time he had actually been back and up against competition was Wednesday down in Indianapolis. Just because he is not going to be with us first [to start the season], I don’t want him leaving banged up in any way, anything like that or anything that he can’t come back from. You increase your chances of that, and I wanted to make sure he is prepared physically for competition.”

Impressive, but…. – Kitchens did not seem impressed with Jamie Gillan’s 74-yard punt on Saturday, and he explained why.

“I think it was good, but I think it needs a little better hang time,” Kitchens said. “First of all, it is incredible, OK? Secondly, I would say if they had a guy who could catch the punt back there, you have 30 yards to run before you ever get anybody to the guy.”

“When you start talking about the kicking game, you have to evaluate all aspects of it. What I mean by that is…if you kick a ball 75 yards and a guy catches it, he runs 30 yards before anybody gets there and he falls forward for another five, then you are at 40-yard net. If you kick the ball with great hang time at 45 yards, and they have to fair catch it, then that is a 45-yard yet. We are better off as a team if you do the second rather than the first. That is kind of the way that I view that.”

Gillan is competing to unseat veteran Britton Colquitt as the team’s punter but it appears that he may not be ready for the job in Cleveland despite his impressive leg.

“It was a great kick. I would love it if we were in competition to see how far we can kick the ball,” Kitchens said. “Ultimately, it goes off how it affects the team, and how it affects the team is we have to be able to cover these things. We have to be able to put them where we want to, direction and stuff like that.”

Up next – Practice Monday in Berea 10:30 a.m.-12:50 p.m.

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
Legend
Legend
Good point about the net punt ... if you look back, Eli Rogers did a terrible job as the return man. It’s nearly impossible to get a 74 yard net haha .. but get some more hang time and get us a 55 yard net? Excellent

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
Legend
Quote:
Some pretty good players are going to have to be cut.

Good problem to have- for once.

"too many notes, not enough music-"
B
Legend
Legend
B
Indeed.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Page 2 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2019 NFL Season Looking Back: Browns 21 Colts 18 Postgame Thoughts

Link Copied to Clipboard