Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
I
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
I
So the Browns and Colts got into some shoving pushing typical preseason aggressions.
It was good to see the team respond as such.
And you can bet that if somebody gave Baker
A late hit etc etc...things would have really
Exploded.
But explain this to me.
How come when Colt McCoy got smacked up James Harrison,nobody even lifted a hand to defend McCoy?
Was that team just intimidated that easily and
This team is different across the board?

Legend
Legend
So, possibly James Harrison wasn't in the Indy camp mayhap?

Not sure we were coming up big today, But pretty sure who needs to be cut, some of those players got their boxes checked. Expect another kicker or two?

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Legend
Legend
Joey Porter: "Browns are soft."

That's why Harrison got away with it.

I was regularly embarrassed by the Browns' play in those days, but that actually disgusted me. I remember thinking that they didn't deserve to win ANY games if they couldn't even act like family on the field.

This team is different.

"too many notes, not enough music-"
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Clemdawg

I was regularly embarrassed by the Browns' play in those days, but that actually disgusted me. I remember thinking that they didn't deserve to win ANY games if they couldn't even act like family on the field.

This team is different.

You know what? I never once saw Joe Thomas light anyone up that roughed up any of our QB’s in a all the years he played. And he was the OL leader. Mmmm.

A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives.
– Jackie Robinson
E
Legend
Legend
E
Originally Posted By: PerfectSpiral

This team is different.

You know what? I never once saw Joe Thomas light anyone up that roughed up any of our QB’s in a all the years he played. And he was the OL leader. Mmmm.

Unlike baseball retaliation isn't done by certain players.

Our starting LT would be stupid to retaliate and get suspended a certain amount of games....yeah smart thing to do. Ruin your consequetive snap streak by being "the enforcer"

Now the guy that should do it is a nasty OG...especially of the back up quality. Like one of our competing RGs it would benefit them over a Joe Thomas. But NO JOE WOULD not be a leader by retaliating a late hit. A harmless shove as he picks up the QB yeah I can see that but not a retaliation pay back thing.

jmho

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Legend
Legend
Every hockey team has at least one 'goon' or 'enforcer"... that guy who would retaliate against anyone, loosen teeth, etc. That person should not be The Browns' blindside insurance policy.

But we should have had one.

Legend
Legend
Every hockey team has at least one 'goon' or 'enforcer"... that guy who would retaliate against anyone, loosen teeth, etc. That person should not be The Browns' blindside insurance policy.

The Hanson Brothers laugh

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

B
Legend
Legend
B

I agree. If I have a knock on Joe, he didn't back up his QB enough. I am not talking about retaliation to getting kicked out of games, but he was always off to the side when things were getting chippy and I don't think he was thinking he didn't need to get thrown out of a game because of a snap count record..

He was supremely good, but Joe isn't a aggressive guy.

Nothing wrong with that, just the way it is.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
V
Legend
Legend
V
Quote:
I agree. If I have a knock on Joe, he didn't back up his QB enough.

I think Joe did a great job of keeping his QBs off their backs and that is far more important.

Btw.......I still remember all the crap you threw at Joe before and after that particular draft.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
Quote:

I think Joe did a great job of keeping his QBs off their backs and that is far more important.

Btw.......I still remember all the crap you threw at Joe before and after that particular draft.

I agree. He did a great job of protecting them. I just think he could have done a little better job when he or someone else didn't, that is just my opinion.

I remember you were a big Joe T pimp in that draft. I don't remember the crap you seem to remember. I do remember posting a pic of him in Lederhosen with his future wife, with a tall mug of beer in his hand. I didn't see that as throwing crap, but you did get that pick right.

If I recall, I was wanting Calvin Johnson out of Ga. Tech. Once he was picked before us, Joe was the second pick.

In thre end neither one of those guys played for teams that won maybe 25 games over a long career.

Sad. We had the best LT maybe ever and we won maybe 25 games while he was here.

A story.....I was at a hotel in Westlake, Ohio for a game. Joe's grandparents were in the next room. We chatted, then Grandmom said it would be better if we could win more games. I

I was afraid that was the writing on the wall. The family will push him away, but he stuck, even though I wouldn't have blamed him if he didn't.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
V
Legend
Legend
V
I loved that picture. Do you still have it? I want to send it to my son and daughter to show them just how cool Joe was/is. LOL

B
Legend
Legend
B
I loved that picture. Do you still have it? I want to send it to my son and daughter to show them just how cool Joe was/is. LOL

I am sure I do. It may take a while to find it, and I am not going to start now. I am about to go to bed in 30 minutes.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Quote:
The Hanson Brothers

Damn straight.

I
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
I
Let's say a player like Shaq Lawson of the Bills or a Titans player dove at the knee of Baker this season.and it was a real dirty hit.
Im sure Robinson or Tretter would retaliate .
I never saw Joe Thomas get in the face of a opposing defender after that player hit a Browns QB after the releasing the ball.
And it happened quite a bit during Joe's tenure as a Brown.
Joe just didn't have a aggressive streak in him I'm that regard.

L
Legend
Legend
L
Landry would be taking care of it, or at least leading the charge.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
R
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
R
Quote:

Did he really? I can remember lots of times where our QB's were on their backs with Joe playing.

Also the number of injuries with Browns QB's was probably one of the highest on the league.

Not saying that Joe wasn't a great LT, but I think you need spirit to play the position and make an impact,something Joe always lacked. Truth is that we lost a LT HOF and our line is probably better...

E
Legend
Legend
E
I don't think he was thinking he didn't need to get thrown out of a game because of a snap count record..

Agreed he is not selfish to premeditate on not jeopardizing his snap count.

But what we have to remember the last 5 years he played on one leg as the knee was in terrible condition. Who knows how bad it was prior to those years of us knowing about his knees cause of the missed practices. So if there was any hesitation on bringing on the after the play physical stuff especially if there were several involved I would have to think he was also protecting his KNEE/S!!!

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Legend
Legend
It was the culture of who the Browns were.

It happened with Colt McCoy, Charli Frye (I remember like it was yesterday Braylon on sideline yelling at oline), Weeden, etc etc etc. We just didn't have guys who would talk back.

Every now and then we'd have one guy on defense, like a Phil Taylor who would bark back, or a TJ Ward, but on offense, we just never really had that. Only player I can sort of think of who would bark a little was Terrence West, but he wasn't an impact player.

Drafting Baker was a huge win for Cleveland. We needed not only his talent, but we needed his personality. He has helped change the culture, and when that happens from a player who plays a position like QB, the guys around him carry themselves differently.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: rastanplan
Did he really? I can remember lots of times where our QB's were on their backs with Joe playing.

Also the number of injuries with Browns QB's was probably one of the highest on the league.

Not saying that Joe wasn't a great LT, but I think you need spirit to play the position and make an impact,something Joe always lacked. Truth is that we lost a LT HOF and our line is probably better...

This is one of the most foolish posts I've seen on here for a while. Joe played LT. Not all five positions on the OL.

He wasn't the one on the OL who was giving up pressures or sacks.

For Christ's sake man.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum The Colts "scrum" led me to a deeper thought.so so

Link Copied to Clipboard