Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Swish
hey Vers, when somebody says "were gonna send obama back to kenya or wherever it is", what do you call that?

Racism.

yebat' Putin
V
Legend
Legend
V
Originally Posted By: Swish
hey Vers, when somebody says "were gonna send obama back to kenya or wherever it is", what do you call that?

I would call that racist, ignorant, and hateful.

Legend
Legend
so if you readily admit that, then why the drama about calling losers like this out?

we got two guys who have said card carrying racist crap CURRENTLY sitting in congress.

don't get me started on King. im atleast willing to cut meadows SOME slack, as he's just another tea party crazy who was trying to ride the wave.

when the president keeps calling the media the enemy of the people, then does stuff to keep the mainstream media out while holding conferences for the conspiracy theorist and breitbart's of the world, and then looks to take steps to limit the media....

why the drama when we call it fascism. is that NOT a level of fascism?

and thats the bigger point being made here. it seems like some of you guys are upset with the labels....but not because its the wrong label. its because you simply dont like the terms being used.

i dont call trump hitler. i call him mussolini, and have been doing as such for a while now. the language and overall atmosphere is strikingly similar.

i dont understand why people get mad at OCD and i calling it like we see it.

i mean damn, we got people chanting "blood and soil" while rallying around a confederate soldier, but calling them racist is the bigger problem?

thats the message being received from you and vers. and it might not be the message you think - or WANT - to send, but its certainly the one being received.

like when white people got more upset over black nfl players protesting in the name of civil rights than the white people yelling that they're superior to non white and support the confederacy.

the message yall THINK you're sending isn't the one being read.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
V
Legend
Legend
V
I think there is a disconnect in communication here. I was not defending Trump. I don't want to speak for DC, but I don't believe he was either.

We were talking about what Shell did and that they did not deserve labels such as Nazis and Fascists.

Legend
Legend
well there's nothing racist shell did.

i dont really agree with the fascist label, but i can most certainly understand why it appears that way.

as i stated in my first post, i really dont care one way or another. show up for the dog and pony show and get paid. thats been a human practice since even before recorded history i bet.

but i also understand OCD's bigger point.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
P
Legend
Legend
P
The point is rather simple. Shell put pressure on their employees to "walk a political line" or they would be forced to forfeit certain overtime pay.

Show up, don't say anything or it will impact your income.

It isn't anything close to the example Vers is using that is a change in policy being taught to employees.

He may have not liked the new policies or having to attend meetings that helped address the new policies, but he wasn't forced to "appear" to support the president of The United states in a media covered event for the entire world to see.

Apples and oranges.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
It continually baffles me how you can read a thread and then say things like "not sure where that came from."

It continually baffles me that you bring up such stupid stuff and wonder why your baffled by it.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
The point is rather simple. Shell put pressure on their employees to "walk a political line" or they would be forced to forfeit certain overtime pay.

Show up, don't say anything or it will impact your income.

It isn't anything close to the example Vers is using that is a change in policy being taught to employees.

He may have not liked the new policies or having to attend meetings that helped address the new policies, but he wasn't forced to "appear" to support the president of The United states in a media covered event for the entire world to see.

Apples and oranges.
riiiiggghtttt, and unions haven't done that for decades.....

they were not forced btw, you keep missing that point. they could choose to attend and get paid EXTRA, or not attend and don't get paid EXTRA. Forced would be "attend or get fired". Their normal pay was not withheld.

Fake news.

P
Legend
Legend
P
No, you missed it. Had they not have shown up, it would have impacted their overtime pay. The only "force" I mentioned was as it pertained to pay, not forced to go.

A vote is taken by workers as it pertains to unions being there or not. The employees didn't get to vote on this.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
V
Legend
Legend
V
I really dislike how you twist my words around to win arguments that you create. I'm not even going to bother correcting your perceptions of my intent. You constantly spin them into something they are not.

I am simply going to reiterate that I do not think Shell deserves labels like Nazis, Fascists, and Deplorables because some people don't like their politics.

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Quote:
No, you missed it. Had they not have shown up, it would have impacted their overtime pay.
Overtime pay is not guaranteed. Not showing up had no effect on their regular pay.

Overtime is not mandatory, neither was this.

Carry on.

P
Legend
Legend
P
rofl

Yeah, "Show up and don't say anything bad or you will lose your overtime pay!"

People only support that in the land of trump!

#gmstrong
P
Legend
Legend
P
I didn't spin anything. You put the two in the same context and they don't apply. Actually, if you look at my post in its entirety, I didn't use any of the words that seem to touch on your sensitivity scale.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
I really dislike how you twist my words around to win arguments that you create. I'm not even going to bother correcting your perceptions of my intent. You constantly spin them into something they are not.

I am simply going to reiterate that I do not think Shell deserves labels like Nazis, Fascists, and Deplorables because some people don't like their politics.

Maybe, just maybe, if they didn’t put pressure on their employees to attend a rally and photo op with a deplorable racist, a fascist, and a bigoted pos potus they wouldn’t pick up those labels.

A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives.
– Jackie Robinson
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
rofl

Yeah, "Show up and don't say anything bad or you will lose your overtime pay!"

People only support that in the land of trump!
No, actually is commonplace. I remember I used to work as admissions rep for a college years ago. A Democrat Sen. came to speak to us, and we were offered the same deal. Show up and get paid, or don't come and don't get paid. Its pretty commonplace for any business that is being visited by a political figure that is going to get media attention regardless of political party that is there. Its not a Trump/Dem/R thing, it happens all the time. You just haven't heard about it or cared before because...well. Trump!

P
Legend
Legend
P
My point wasn't actually party relayed. It was about supporting it. I wouldn't support it no matter the party that was involved. I do not believe in using a financial reward or lack there of to pressure anyone into giving the appearance of support for a politician they do not support.

Stating what is required of employers is really no excuse for these actions. I'm sorry you were placed in a similar situation. It was no less wrong in that case than it is the one this thread addresses.

#gmstrong
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Quote:
My point wasn't actually party relayed. It was about supporting it. I wouldn't support it no matter the party that was involved.
Fair enough.

Quote:
I'm sorry you were placed in a similar situation. It was no less wrong in that case than it is the one this thread addresses.
Why? I got paid an overtime to stand there and play on my phone while some schmuck talked ( I was 22 - I call him a schmuck because EVERY politician at that time to me was - not because he was Dem smile ).

For guys working manual labor, in a hard field as that, I bet more than not were willing to sit down, get paid, and not pay attention to the schmuck talking smile

Its really not a big deal and I think people are overblowing this because well....Trump!

P
Legend
Legend
P
Once again, it's really not about Trump for me.

In this case, the media was covering it. And as with any president it's covered on a national scale. The parameters were that not only did you have to show up to be paid, you had to keep your mouth shut.

So you had to appear to go along with anything and everything he said without being able to speak out about it. That's using your employees as political pawns to promote a politician in a nationally covered media event.

I would speak out against that no matter who was president.

#gmstrong
Page 2 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Palus Politicus Thousands of union workers given option to either attend Trump speech at Shell or lose out on wages: reports

Link Copied to Clipboard