Next Thread
Print Thread
E
eotab Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
E
What I didn't see, QBs Luck and Mayfield.

Gilbert played the first half and Blough the 2nd half, if you ask me both play better than Stanton.

Gilbert showed early on that he has an NFL arm as he hit the NFL deep out throw with accuracy.

Who is this kid Montgomery as he got a lot of action I guess at the request of Gilbert who obviously has spent a lot of time throwing to him. He made some excellent catches. I liked the way he waited the last second to put his hands up to catch the ball in a small window!

The kid Johnson did not impress me in his return duties but he did impress me in his running and catching duties and although not that good in blitz he was actually much better than Hilliard I thought.

Sorry the feel good story of Giuseppi is not looking too good as he did not field any of the return duties with the Ones or Twos. The odds of him not finding our Roster is pretty slim.

Higgins and Strong really are looking good out there. Both running great routes and catching everything.

I don't like the kid Harris we signed from KC as he early on dropped a pass and was guilty of a hold.

I hated the announcers as unlike our home announcers the week before basically ignored our players and didn't name them until an obvious call came in from NFL NETWORK...ummm guys you are live on NFL NETWORK announce the other team.

Lost in that action was the duel we have in our kicking game. We waited for it and we finally got to see it. As we were stopped deep into our end of the field the Scottish Hammer then proceeded to hit a Booming kicker over the head of the return man who because it was a high kick as well as far did not pick it up and let it roll about another 10 yards, Not one of those 45 yd punts that take a big kick and roll forward. this was 60 yards at least air bound and direction as well. Stupid announcers as Colquitt lined up to make a punt next time and they stated that he already kicked one 70+ yards...ummm dummies it was not Colquitt.

The kid is getting better in his holds as well.

In the kicking game Sonny Seibert showed a stronger leg in kickoffs as they were HIGHER but same distance than Joseph's.

Both missed FGs Seiberts at the end of a two minute drill had a 50+ attempt and missed it badly to the left. I believe Joseph's attempt was a closer 44 early on in the game and missed.

I think Kitchens who they went to on both misses you can see his disappointment in both misses. Muttered something after Joseph's miss, I'm thinking. "And this is why you won't make the team"

And then after Seiberts miss later on in the game. I'm thinking, "You have a shot to win the position battle and you blew it"

Right now I'm disappointed in both more Joseph than Seibert as in the 2 games Joseph has looked worse and the 50+ yarder was the first miss by Seibert.

The punting battle I think took a big time turn towards the Scottish kid. Just of note that 70+ boomer I could have sworn I saw him take an extra step as there was a lack of pressure.

Ok back to Gilbert yes, Corbett made to high snaps which should have been ok one caught by Gilbert the other not.

But did anyone else notice Gillbert would take a little HOP up off the ground to catch any and every shotgun snap. It is a bad habit as it wastes a nano second which in the NFL is a lot.

Saw a lot of LAMM and he was not all that bad (LT).
Also saw a lot of Corbett at Center and outside of the two high snaps and a hold. Was OK I guess that is where his future is with us. After Tretter is gone he will get the 1st team reps.

Right guard I saw a lot of Forbes didn't really concentrate on him but I didn't see any glaring mistakes and over all 1st, 2nd team the OL did well!

TE, I didn't see NJOKU out there, I did not like the #2 guy Harris, Pharoa Brown did impress me but senior moment I don't remember why. I should start writing this stuff down...lol

It was so hard to follow as the announcers did give our names much most of the time a little late as the ear piece must of said...AND THE CLEVELAND PLAYERS WAS?!?! Then they would announce it.

Didn't realize who Taylor was but saw number 57 doing some good things out there.

Mack Wilson made some mistakes and some good things he was not as dynamic as he was last week. Didn't notice #55 Avery out there although in a lat call the announcers said his name twice but I could not make out the #.

I can only assume Garrett didn't play and I didn't notice Vernon out there either but who knows as again the announcers didn't name names so audibly I didn't hear either name.
I did see a lot of Larry O and Richardson...think they played most of the 1st half together and did do some damage.

I did see the only negative I have with our defense. Is we give up way too much yardage on QB scrambles. Perfect blitz called on 4th and short. Their QB who played well made a side step and proceeded to hit a WR for the first down....that drive was the only one that went anywhere until late game stuff with guys who won't be on our team. I think the blitzer was Mack Wilson??? Also I think their first 1st down was on a QB scramble!

Well a lot of What I saw I left out there for you all.

I'd appreaciate a specific play that stood out for you and please paint that picture of what happened.
Thank you in advance.

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
D
All Pro
All Pro
D
I agree with your assessment Tab.
Biggest thing that hit me was the way we played the run.
Vastly improved from years past. We seem to shed blocks better fill the lanes quickly. Havent seen that inna while.
Dang where is all the replies. You getting boycotted or something?

You dont have to win every game just the next one!
Legend
Legend
Sheehy didn't play with the Ones because the Ones didn't really play.

Gilbert and Blough out played Stanton from last week. But I think Stantons real value isn't as a back up. I can see him dropping to 3rd on the depth chart behind Gilbert at some point.

Overall, I thought the team played well with the exception of all the flags. That might have been because we weren't playing the Ones a lot if any.

I saw something I didn't think I'd see.. Kitchens was ticked off.. I mean he was REALLY angry.

This coach seems bound and determined to get the most out of everyone on this team.... from Mayfield and Garrett down to the lowest of the low.

Nothing he's doing follows the norm.. Let's see what happens next week.. Normally, the Third Preseason game is where we see the guys that are expected to start game one..

We'll see.

I'm not sure Austin Corbett belongs here. This kid we drafted, Forbes, seems better equipped to be in the league at this point.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
E
eotab Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
E
Thanks for posting...you're the one...lol laugh

Boycott??? who knows guess no room for two threads as the other gets posted right away this week by Vers. Last wee by Dawg4life?

Hey I will continue to post my What I saw anyone and everyone is welcome to participate in it. I don't wish anyone to NOT post on the other thread. Vers has told me he hates me (in a PM) so I'm sure he will try to get the other thread up a.s.a.p. lol laugh

Yeah these Browns are not of any Browns teams we have experienced in the past. We have yet to play the starters completely together. We are being very diligent in preventing injuries by limiting play but also preparing all to be ready Game #1 in Sept.

I'm curious how we will play out game #3 which I think has been programmed Nationally for all to see. In the past Starters play at least the entire first half.

It must be my breath...see you later deepsouth its going to be a fun season for a change! Long time coming for sure.

For those who didn't see it here is the punt by our Scottish Hammer:
See below by GratefulDawg... as my skill is not in sharing links...lol laugh

Thanks Grateful... wink Best Punt I think I ever saw...as in EVER.

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

Legend
Legend

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
Legend
Legend
That was an awesome punt. Talk about flipping the field!

He also had solid hang time on that kick.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Legend
Legend
I'm not sure how long it takes to master the finer nuances as a punter, not sure The Hammer can nail the "coffin corner" kicks. Being inept in that department may cost you 10-15 yards on punts that go into the endzone - but you still have a team that must march the traditional length of the field to score... If they do, it would be hard to blame the punt anyway.

I would be concerned if I watched this brute out-kick coverage, but his hang-time is nearly as impressive as the distance. I love Colquitt, but I give him a firm handshake and "thank you" at this point. The Hammer's time is now, if you let him leave, you'll only ever see him across the field with another team.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
Legend
Legend
That was quite a kick. We can teach hang time to Hammer, but we can't coach the yardage difference into Colquitt.

Imagine if we Paradise Island swarming with Dawgs wearing there HighLand Hammer kilts to the tailgate BBQ victory celebration pregame fire-up! Everything looks good with pigskin. Re-defines "be keeping your threads up, matey!" as we get into real ball. I can see it now . . . .

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: YTownBrownsFan

That was the best part of it... it was that long, but it hung up there long enough for the coverage to get down there!

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater
Originally Posted By: YTownBrownsFan

That was the best part of it... it was that long, but it hung up there long enough for the coverage to get down there!

I'll take a guy that may kick it shorter (by a little) but can hit the corner with consistency. Colquit can do that.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
E
eotab Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
E
Keep in mind that long but was a Corner kick if you noticed. It was not in the middle of the field he made a directional kick as well as FAR as well as HIGH. His first punt in preseason had us close to the 50 yard line and kept them around the 10.

I think he has no weaknesses in the kicking game although he with experience can Master so much more. The only negative I heard was the HOLDING for Ex Point and FGs needed work on. And that negative was EARLY ON, I have not heard any negative about his holding since.

The kid is a very good athlete and it seems anything he practices he learns quick.

What we are looking at him is possibly one of the all time great punters on our team for 10+ years. You know, Ray Guy kind of stuff and he is OURS!!!

Love Colquitt and he will not have a problem hooking up with another team. But the Scottish Hammer is a very Special Talent.

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
I wasnt able to watch, thanks for this.

My first thought when I read your comments is that I assume it was the colts broadcasters doing the game and it was just televised on the NFL Network? When Couch and Crawford do the Browns games they don't seem too concerned with the other team.

Anyway, thanks for this thread as always. When I miss a game it's like I actually watched it.

E
eotab Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
E
The exact reason why I post it...not as many miss it because of all the tech support but still even if its one.
That is why I make this thread and I wish others would post what they saw a small thing, even something they saw on the sidelines that made them think of something from it.

Again hopefully it was a little help.

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

S
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
S
One thing about rugby kickers, is they can control where the ball goes.

I doubt highly he replaces Colquit, who is one of the best in the game and is experienced, but I truly believe if they could stash him somewhere where no other team could get him, they should.

"The Elf is killing the Curse"
E
eotab Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
E
Its an interesting question...Colquitt is a seasoned veteran who has a very consistent good game to offer. But he has maybe 2 years of relevance in him before petering out. This kid has Ray Guy qualities where he can actually take over a game he would be a great asset and I guarantee you there are 10+ teams out there just waiting for us to cut him...he would never pass waivers where we could stash him on Practice Squad. He's gone and what I fear would be a HOF career for somebody else.

I think it would be a mistake to cut him, Colquitt is a good veteran kicker and will always have a job so I won't feel bad for him it won't be the end of his career. But we deserve GREAT at any position and this kid looks to be GREAT at punting and he will only get better.

Also word is he made a 60 FG in practice. We are at the 50 with one play left in a tie game or lets say a game where we are down 2 points. He could come in and kick us that 60 yarder for the win! You never know...Who knows he might end up doing all the kicking duties. Kick Offs, Punts, FGs and Expoints, save us a roster spot!

jmho

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2019 NFL Season Looking Back: Browns 21 Colts 18 What I saw Preseason Game 2

Link Copied to Clipboard