Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Legend
Legend
Yeah I agree ... take away Montgomery and Callaway and suddenly we aren’t as deep
Originally Posted By: PDXBrownsFan
Originally Posted By: HotBYoungTurk
Just looking.. he won't last long. WR room too deep.

Montgomery is on IR, Hyman and Callaway injured, Callaway suspension. All of a sudden it all makes sense.

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
I could certainly see using him as 3rd QB.
Also certainly in Wildcat/Trick formations.... but I just can't see Kitchens ever doing something like that.....lol!

P
Legend
Legend
P
Dave, this is Braxton's third team since he was drafted in 2016. He's a project that they hope they can get something out of.

Maybe I'm reading you wrong, but let's not make more out of it than what it is. The indication you seem to be giving is that he has all of this great talent. If that were true, he would have shined and stuck before now.

I like the fact that he's getting a shot. Maybe they'll find a place he can fit and contribute. But as of now it's nothing more than churning the bottom of the roster in hopes they can find an upgrade.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
B
Legend
Legend
B
Normally I would slam dunk agree. The only caveat is our receiver group looks to be pretty strong. Doing this at this late juncture makes me think there is something else going on.

Maybe it's simply because we placed Montgomery on IR. Maybe something else is going on with Calloway.

It just seems kind of late to be because they are all of a sudden displeased with the group or the group progress.

Maybe they want a wildcat package and see this guy as one who could run it.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
P
Legend
Legend
P
I'm not saying they may not find a nitch for him. I mean anything is possible. However, I'm questioning that he is some special player with some special skill set.

This will be his third team. Heck, Philly had him on their practice squad. The most receptions he's had in a season was 19.

I always like to see our team work on making the team better. I like to see them exercising due diligence. But the poster I was responding to made it sound as if we just signed some major cog in the wheel. Thus far nothing indicates that. And as far as being "late"?

Nah, we'll see things get shuffled around after cuts as well.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
D
Legend
Legend
D
I think right now today we have 4 Freddie trusts and knows what he’s going to get from them ...

OBJ/VG/Higgs and Strong ....

After that there seems to be 2 spots up for grabs and were trying to improve them ...

Thats my best guess ...

D
Legend
Legend
D
I tried not to overstate things when it came to Miller's role here. I view him as a third tier WR, a punt and kickoff returner, a wildcat/gadget play option for the offense, and an emergency / 3rd QB on the gameday roster. I certainly do not see him as a major cog, nor do I foresee him ever starting at WR. I also do not see him as a viable NFL QB. But in the role I described above, he could fill 3 roster spots that *might* otherwise be taken by Damion Ratley, Drew Stanton (assuming Gilbert is our #2 QB), and PR/KR Damon Sheehy-Guiseppe. Having Braxton instead of 3 other guys allows additional depth at two other position groups.

P
Legend
Legend
P
I could see that if it works out that way. But so far neither Houston or Philly saw it that way. And I mean, they're not exactly trash teams.

#gmstrong
V
Legend
Legend
V
j/c:

I asked this before and no one answered. I am going to ask it again because I think it is important.

Does anyone know why Houston and Philly gave up on Braxton? He is obviously a tremendous athlete. What were the knocks on him?

Hands? Route running? Getting off the LOS? Injuries? Attitude?

Has anyone heard anything about his weaknesses?

Legend
Legend
I don't think there are any clear-cut answers. One that looms large is constant shoulder, hamstring and other injuries.

Another is the fact that until someone makes the transition from QB to WR, and truly succeeds, everybody just parrots the fact that it's too hard to do. One thing I notice with players like him, that make a transition because of great athletic ability (another example being the new breed of basketball-playing TEs), is that everybody seems to want high impact plays out of the gate... And are quick to say "bust" and write them off when it doesn't happen.

A microcosmic example of how his career has gone: In 2017 Miller was playing the best game of his NFL career, 4 for 71 yards, including a impressive 57-yard catch-and-run. Gets hit and is diagnosed with a concussion... Misses two games and returns to see T.J. Yates behind center to finish the year. Last two games = 3 catches. Playing with DeAndre Hopkins and a new QB could have that effect, I guess.

His targets look high for the amount of catches in two years @ Houston... 57 for 34... but I've never heard any complaints of "bad hands". Never heard anything about "attitude problems" either.

Route running and getting off the LOS won't look great for a player transitioning to the NFL from playing QB in college, at least not right out of the gate. Dude is a fluid athlete though, and getting in and out of breaks would definitely not be a problem.

TBH, I'm not sure either team explored the real upside with him. It's tough when a player has constant injuries anyway. Sometimes players that rank in the "crap-shoot" dept get cast aside quickly because teams get tired of the "told you so" statements from the fans and media.

Bottom line, this fits the mold of Dorsey's m.o. - and I love it. NEVER neglect exploring upside, especially when able to mitigate risk. This is a risk-free proposition. I would love to see Braxton do enough to stick. Signs say "probably not" but there is no harm in trying.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
V
Legend
Legend
V
Thanks. Good stuff.

Legend
Legend

Good breakdown.

I had forgotten about Miller and was clueless about what he has done.

Legend
Legend
In Houston he just never seemed to be able to get on the field... he had injuries and just couldn't move up the depth chart... dude seems to have talent but he never made it pst fourth or fifth wide receiver... was used on punt returns some and was decent...

<><

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Thanks for the info from someone in the area ... I knew injuries played a part, but also realize it’s a TOUGH trnasition from QB to WR.

If he can be a good return guy and a 5th WR here ... that’s what we need

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
Legend
AND an extra QB if it becomes Armageddon awful like the year when we needed a new QB almost weekly. I like him, and I hope to see him tonight. Has Sheehy cleared to play tonight after his injuries? Did he practice this week?

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Legend
Legend
And let us add that some teams will refuse to plug in season time to develop a players raw skills. Fairly finished products are readily available. All players get coached some by position, and they are developed, but there is a bunch to learn, and switching offenses as well as positions has to be tough. Production in a position, especially wideout, is a level or so above competing for a position and struggling to learn it IMO. I think he has upside, maybe like Landry?
I am as ignorant as I am naive, because I was never allowed out of the trenches when I played, but I figured Braxton should have brought an edge in this position transition because he had the QB experience about routes, schemes, reads and such. Is he just not good at this? He seems willing to be physical and mix it up as I remember. I liked that quality in his game quite a bit.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Thumbs up.

I'd have to think it would be a major upset if Braxton makes this team.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: devicedawg
Thumbs up.

We have some crazy good receivers on this team.. And while I"m all for the local kid doing well, I'm just not sure why he's here other than to take a look see.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
E
Legend
Legend
E
Possibly we would want him on our practice squad and he can play Lamar in our Scout team on Ravens week?

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: eotab
Possibly we would want him on our practice squad and he can play Lamar in our Scout team on Ravens week?

Does he even qualify to be on the PS

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Legend
Legend
No. He has two accrued seasons; you have to have zero accrued seasons to be eligible.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Damanshot
Originally Posted By: devicedawg
Thumbs up.

We have some crazy good receivers on this team.. And while I"m all for the local kid doing well, I'm just not sure why he's here other than to take a look see.

Churning the bottom of the roster.
Barring injuries & suspensions, there is little chance at all that a player signed to this roster this late will be part of the 53 come Week 1.

Browns is the Browns

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater
No. He has two accrued seasons; you have to have zero accrued seasons to be eligible.

When the rules changed last year, they allowed for 4 of the 10 practice squad players to have 2 accrued seasons of service.

NFL Practice Squad 2018: Eligibility, pay, rules and everything to know - Cincy Jungle
https://www.cincyjungle.com/2018/9/1/178...ms-what-to-know

Not all players are eligible for a practice squad, especially if they’ve been in the NFL for several years and/or played in a number of games. In 2016, the NFL adopted a modification to the practice squad rules that allows up to four players per practice squad to have two accrued seasons, making it easier for teams to have experienced players on their practice squad. In the previous agreement, only two players with two accrued seasons were allowed to be on a practice squad.

Other than those four players, eligibility is limited to players who have been on an active roster for fewer than six games, or were on a 46-man active gameday roster for fewer than nine games.

A player is allowed on the practice squad for up to two years, with one year counting as six weeks in a season. A third year on the practice squad is only allowed if the team keeps 53 players on their active roster at all times (which every team does).

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Legend
Legend
Oh!

Well, that is news to me. Interesting.

Browns is the Browns

Page 2 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Browns sign Braxton Miller

Link Copied to Clipboard