Next Thread
Print Thread
E
eotab Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
E
What I saw were two very good defenses ready for the season to start.

I also saw that for the first time that I can remember we have a dominant Special Teams. In the real game which is the first half of starters which we won with 9-0 score. It was done primarily done with Defense and our Special teams. As the entire half outside of one drive by Tampa that ended in a missed FG the rest was played in their end of the field never leaving it.

We would get stymied and then Punt with excellent results especially by the Scottish Hammer as he consistently hit his punts very high and inside the 15.

We partially blocked their punt the first two times both resulting in FGs the first being a 54 yarder.

I think Sonny Seibert won the kicking battle last night as he hit on all 4 of his FGs and were the total offense of the night. His kicks were HIGH and split the Posts smack in the middle showing why we spent a 5th round pick on him. For me its done.

I didn't like the way our offense performed last night and I there is enough blame to go around.

Coaches...there didn't seem to be any inventive formations or designs as there was not one WR (and we passes way way too much) that had a lot of separation stretching the field vertical and horizontal creating mega space for routes to be ran into.

Players in general - I didn't like that OBJ, Landry and Njoku were not out there at all that didn't help the situation.

Baker looked to me to be high on most of his throws. The windows were real small and I didn't see a glaring miss of a WR that would be wide open outside of a late swing to a RB possibly.

I thought possibly Bakers hands were a little sweaty (playing in Tampa) just squirting the ball a tad high, some catch able perhaps but tough catches.

I really do not like Harris, It seems Dorsey might be forcing his presence on the team as he was in on almost every down and I didn't see anything from him but some true Drops, him getting out jumped by a 5'10" DB in the endzone. Also a key hold on one of the few good running plays we had and the hold did not break the runner free.

The kid Pharoah looks way better and is the only TE making catches so far this Preseason.

I did like seeing DeValve out there in the H-Back Role and he actually did a decent job blocking ans we ran it out to our left with him leading the way. He made a good seal on his man. But it was not a look that we saw much. Somewhere the stats show that he was targeted it must of been the 2nd half.

To be honest I didn't see much of the 2nd half - I came back later in the night to watch it and I fell asleep to immediately as watching sports relaxes me so much. wink

I did see that Stanton got the 3rd quarter I assume - I just know he started the half and I woke up with like 50 seconds left in the game and they Tampa got in chip FG range for the go ahead score as we were ahead 12-10 and lost by one point via the last play of the game with guys that more than likely wont see a start all year.

Now to the awesome parts.

Defense one series with the starting unit as Garrett took most the night off.

But Vernon + Garrett are an awesome duo as I saw both beat their LT n RT on the same play. Garrett with speed around the edge swooping around and getting his finger tips on
Winston forcing him up in the pocket and almost symotaneously we had Vernon bull rushing his RT right up into the step up and he devoured Winston.

Another time he came flying through only to have Winston fall in the arms of Smith who played a lot instead of Garrett.

I didn't see much of Avery. Again these were Tampa announcers who were more professional but did not off much in the names or numbers of the tacklers.

Schobert had an amazingly good game and was all over the place.

Kirksey was impressive on his blitzes.

I was not impressed with MURRAY #22 who was there for a screen and just wiffed on the tackle giving up a rare first down. He did make one good coverage that got his name called out cause I just couldn't figure out who #22 was thought it was Greedy at first cause of the poor tackle.

Baker btw made a couple of impressive illusion tricks as he got away from what looked like sure Sack situations. Still it was not a good day for the Offense, Baker, Kitchens, RBs and WRs.

The OL did a good job with only Robinson making obvious errors in his pass pro.

Kush I believe played RG and did look that bad except one play where Suh simple ran right over him one on one and got to Baker.

Special Teams coverage was excellent, our kicking game was Excellent and I'm so happy we finally found our Kicker. I hope the battle is over, the sooner the better.

I would guess Joseph might get the last game. As prior to this we simply alternated all kicks was surprised when Seibert kicked off and then was out there for the next kick which was a 54 yard FG and then again with the kick off right after.

I think Colquitt had the first punt 50 with no return??? Then the Scottish Hammer who really puts that ball up high as we were just outside the 50...there was talk of a possibly 60+ yard FG at the end of the first half...thought that was going to be done by the Hammer but we never got there as Baker with time winding down threw a ball up in desperation and it got picked off. With no consequence as there was 00 on the clock.

Well one more for the guys looking for a job then the season can begin!

I think we have an amazing Defense I know this is just one outing by the Offense but there was nothing that moved me. It was very boring and not much Space created to work with. Hopefully we just didn't want to show much - But I would have liked to see our Starters out there: Chubb, OBJ, Landry, Njoku - It reminded me of the NO TALENT DAYS of yesteryear with Harris, Hilliard, Higgins, Strong and Wilies.

Of course the #1 offense of last year did less than us which makes me so happy about our defense.

What did you see?

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Legend
Legend
Nice synopsis as always ...and you mentioned two players that I do NOT want to see anymore: Harris and Murray. Harris is not a good football player: can’t catch or block ... so, that’s tough to be a TE lol.

As for Murray, if you watch ... the Bucs ONLY success was placing Godwin (or whoever) in the slot and attacking Murray ... Jameis was locked onto Murray all game

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
Legend
Gilliam was the only one to punt last night. 6 punts, 47.8 yards average, and 3 inside the 20.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
M
Legend
Legend
M
I only saw the firs half:

Baker looked out of sorts and had a bad game ... as did the OL. If this is the prequel to the season then we are in trouble (compared to lofty expectations of winning the Div). Hoping Baker can snap it on when Game 1 rolls around.

Play calling all preseason (that I have seen) has also been pass happy and unbalanced ... hoping that is just preseason and an intention not to give much/anything away.

Thought the WR's had a bad night too. Several hard to catch balls that hit hands and coulda/shoulda been caught ....

DL looked stout. Front 7 looked stout. Looks like we have more speed to the ball, better penetration, better schemes - but that just might be because each guy brings something a little special. Liking what I see there and this may be the biggest leap forward in any unit.

I thought the kicking and punting were good and if we did that in the regular season I'd take it no questions asked. . . hope its the answer we've been waiting for/need.

Can't wait for week 1 proper - I think more than ever preseason means little to nothing.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
Legend
Legend
I also think (and hope) that the pass happy trend is just for the preseason ... we need the run game to be at our best

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
W
Rookie
Rookie
W
I saw a defense that will keep us in almost every single game. Baker reminded me of the Denver game last year.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I think for the first time the story of the game was what we DIDN'T SEE...

I DIDN'T SEE OBJ, Juice, Njoku, Chubb. Baker looks human without them. Honestly he still escaped some sacks, made good reads and threw some good throws. With the rest of the O out there and his stat line is probably closer to 17-25 for 2 TDs and an INT. Not amazing, but much better than it was.

Legend
Legend
J/c

I think not having that strong TE threat is a big hole for us and Baker ... Njoku is an important piece for us as a matchup and attention perspective. And our TE depth is horrid, so when he’s not in it’s a big difference

E
eotab Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
E
Originally Posted By: YTownBrownsFan
Gilliam was the only one to punt last night. 6 punts, 47.8 yards average, and 3 inside the 20.

Thanks wasn't sure, ergo my (???) announcers didn't say so n so back to punt so had no clue on some.

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

E
eotab Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
E
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life
I also think (and hope) that the pass happy trend is just for the preseason ... we need the run game to be at our best

also mghh...we didn't run at all and didn't have the play makers out there. Granted Baker was off but there was no game plan it seemed and if you do not run against a good defense the passing game will look bad for anyone. Hard to do play action which creates separation without us establishing the run.

I think we wanted to get a good look at the WRs on who we were keeping after Higgins...So we passed a lot using the game as a help to get ready for the season not to WIN per say as a GAME GAME...

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: eotab

I really do not like Harris, It seems Dorsey might be forcing his presence on the team as he was in on almost every down and I didn't see anything from him but some true Drops, him getting out jumped by a 5'10" DB in the endzone. Also a key hold on one of the few good running plays we had and the hold did not break the runner free.

The kid Pharoah looks way better and is the only TE making catches so far this Preseason.

While Harris has been utterly forgettable in the games this preseason, it's hard for me to blame him for getting "out jumped" in the back of the end zone. He had to try to keep his toes down. If he had jumped, he'd have been forced out which would have ended up in the same result. Baker was off just enough all night.

I want to like P. Brown, but he's dropped quite a few catchable balls as well and has had his own problems with holding.

I want to see more of Gathers next week. His hands seemed more natural than those two (albeit last week, I believe)

Schobert is looking a lot more aggressive/physical in this scheme/now that he's healthy. He had good coverage on a legitimate pass catching TE in OJ Howard as well.

I was surprised how much Adarius Taylor played. I can see the special teamer in him (in a good way.) Also saw his limitations in coverage, though.

It looked like we lacked speed at WR. Tampa wasn't the least bit worried about getting beat deep for most of the game. Bump and run coverage may have played into our offensive timing issues. Teams will be risking getting burned if they try that with OBJ on the field.

Hyman has some speed, but it seems he might struggle with physicality at the line. I'll have to try to watch him more closely.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
Legend
Legend
I want to keep him. Just to hear them blaring "Hammer Time" in the stadium *L*

He does do that field flipping thing and he tackles! More than meets the eye, and he gives us some backup in a couple positions as we skill him up. Just like the guy!

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
L
Legend
Legend
L
Now I have that bass line from U Can't Touch This in my head.

Thanks a lot.

Seriously, thanks. It's a cool riff.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
How is Greedy Williams?

He was injured in the game and was sent to the medical tent.

Legend
Legend
Hope to wear a kilt? I think it could be festive, sure Nike can come up with a bad color scheme and we are off to Pound with The Hammer! Even the look is The Land. West Side is still the Best Side. At least it was years back during a pub crawl. I really like him and Sheehy.

This week should clarify a number of issues.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
T
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
T
Two things of note:

Chris Simms said of playing in Tampa this time of year, the ball is almost always wet from sweat dripping off the center, and from the humidity getting the grass wet...it affected him as a QB from his time there.

AND: Seibert was told to put kick-offs on the goal line for coverage purposes. He had no problem putting them out of the endzone.

Legend
Legend
Regarding Chris Simms' take: I noticed during the game that the tops of helmets looked wet, like covered in condensation from humidity.

I wondered at the time how that may have been affecting gripping the ball and even the flight of the ball through the thicker air.

I will be surprised if we see the starters for more than one series in the last preseason game, but hopefully they get at least a tiny bit of time against an opponent to have things ironed out and ready for the opener. If they don't need the time against an opponent at full speed, then sit them... whatever it takes to be healthy and ready.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

F
Legend
Legend
F
I can tell you that the last few days the humidity here has been atrocious.

I had to change my shirt after walking out to get the mail on Saturday, and having a 2 minutes chat with the neighbor.

We don't have to agree with each other, to respect each others opinion.
Legend
Legend
I saw Baker play his worst half of football, probably since he started in the NFL.. and we were still winning 9-0 when the starters came out.

Special teams looked pretty good all the way around, D Line looked good..

Still haven't seen a run game to speak of in 3 games...

Overall, Tampa is a pretty nice gameday experience. Leaving the stadium, their fans were just a little too excited about their 3rd string coming back to beat our third string on a last second FG.. but other than that, good time.

yebat' Putin
P
Legend
Legend
P
I think having them play a series has the potential of doing more harm than good.

So far we saw them come out in game two, run the two minute drill and look fantastic at it!

Then we saw them kind of lay an egg in game three on the O side of the ball.

Now in game four, in one series they may come out looking great. They may also flail around a bit and not look crisp.

If they do not look good in that single series, the fact this happened twice in a row may do more to undermine their confidence than one series of looking good may help build it. I see it as a catch 22 scenario.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
L
Legend
Legend
L
The two-minute drill TD was game 1.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
Legend
Legend
Which brings me to another point ... I wonder if we start in the hurry up in week 1 agains the Titans? Could be a good way to get Baker into rhythm and get some momentum going early
Originally Posted By: lampdogg

E
eotab Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
E
Thanks for the confirmation as I was thinking possibly the consistent high throws by Baker and we are talking missing the mark of a perfect throw in a tight window by about 6 inches. I'm thinking that possibly the ball was wet which could cause a slight slippage in the throw. It makes sense.

Also please not I didn't see any dink or dunk passes which would have been void of that slippage as most of that is just a touch pass. It seems most of Bakers throws were on routes well over 10-15 yards. He did give up the swing pass to the RB who would break out after their chip blocks. I would hope in a real game situation he would take that.

Game 4 I only expect to see the kickers out there. If still a competition Joseph will have the kicking duties ALL DAY. If we think that Seibert has won the job which I think he has we might see a combo of the two.

Punting same thing, this is a very tough decision. Colquitt is so solid but the Hammer has greatness in him and we would lose that opportunity if cut. Holding the ball (I say let the Hammer hold all day in game 4.

Thanks all for their contributions to the thread. Real Games I will try to get it up earlier.

Run game has not been attempted to establish I think that is because we have a real battler for the 3-5 or 6 WR spots and need to see them. Whilst RB is pretty much solid. Chubb with a possible rest here and there I hope Johnson gets that opportunity as Hilliard didn't turn my head at all. Until Hunt comes on board...then its all Chubb/Hunt unless Kitchens comes out with the Wishbone formation.

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Quote:
Game 4 I only expect to see the kickers out there. If still a competition Joseph will have the kicking duties ALL DAY. If we think that Seibert has won the job which I think he has we might see a combo of the two.
Why do you think that? Freddie said Joseph will kick game 4 and Siebert will kick against the titans according to a report. I think Siebert is our K.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life
Which brings me to another point ... I wonder if we start in the hurry up in week 1 agains the Titans? Could be a good way to get Baker into rhythm and get some momentum going early
Originally Posted By: lampdogg

It's certainly not out of the question, and there is a lot of value in getting up on them quickly and then turning loose our DLine, but I don't know that I'd bank on it. I'd bet that at least the first several plays will be scripted to give certain looks to see certain coverages so we can better know what to attack the rest of the game.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
I am a huge fan of the hurry up to start this game. I want to get up early on Tenn, make them use Mariotta to beat us, and take Henry (really their only weapon IMO on offense) out of the picture. We can then let our Dline feast on a depleted Oline.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
What about Greedy?

J
All Pro
All Pro
J
excellent analysis ordering direct tv sunday ticket.

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Originally Posted By: jacksondawg
excellent analysis ordering direct tv sunday ticket.

Check to see if you’re in an area that CBS will be blacked out on your Direct TV. See the thread on the subject in the Tailgate.

[Linked Image]
E
eotab Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
E
Originally Posted By: willitevachange
Quote:
Why do you think that? Freddie said Joseph will kick game 4 and Siebert will kick against the titans according to a report. I think Siebert is our K.

I said that cause I didn't hear anything on the news front just guessing.

So he said Joseph will kick game for and Seibert will kick against the Titans, well I doubt we will have 2 K's on our roster so that would mean 100% that Seibert won the kicking job...if so good for him I have more confidence in him than in Joseph.

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

E
eotab Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
E
Their CBS conflict will not effect the NFL Ticket. The only problem would be the National Televised game for the TV Market in your area. If it is scheduled so then it will be blacked out from NFL Ticket and you must view it on CBS. Btw in that thread I was told to ask Direct TV for a Antenna hook up and I did they sent me a kit which I attached and the reception is flawless all you got to do is follow the instructions in getting it set up and I've been able to watch CBS as normal and record.

Just for the record, Kitchens stated we will not see Baker in game 4.

We have cut Strong and he looked decent but I guess we would like to see the Big body Youth we got.

Also Kitchens stated we will see a H-Back TE and that DeValve seems to be that guy. So he's on the roster.

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2019 NFL Season Looking Back: Browns 12 Buccaneers 13 What I saw Preseason game #3

Link Copied to Clipboard