Next Thread
Print Thread
D
Dave Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
D
Hi all - I'm drafting 8th in a 10 team snake draft (PPR league). For my first pick, going by the mocks I participated in, it looks like I'll have a choice of either Michael Thomas or Le'Veon Bell, followed up in my 2nd round (13th overall) with either Todd Gurley or Julio Jones.

Assuming I want to come away with one each of a WR and RB, I'm wondering which tandem would be better.

In my mock I went with Michael Thomas and Todd Gurley. What would you do, given the choices? Would anyone consider doubling up at either RB or WR (Thomas & Jones vs Bell & Gurley) and addressing the other position at 28 & 33?

D
Legend
Legend
D
I’d take Thomas and jones ... lots of real good value in rounds 3 and 4 in 12 team leagues at RB this year .. that may reach to rnd 5 in a 10 team league ...

V
Legend
Legend
V
I would take Bell over Gurley because I think LA is going to try and limit Gurley's touches this year in order to save him for the post-season. The Jets don't have a great receiving corps and I expect for Darnold to rely on Bell a lot, both as a runner and a passer.

I like Jones a lot, especially over Gurley.

Diam's suggestion was pretty good. I also think Bell and Jones would be a good option.

D
Dave Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
D
Thanks guys - I'm going to try a mock with Thomas and Jones at 1-2, just to see what shakes out with my 3-4-5 picks. I've always alternated RB/WR through the first 5 or 6 rounds, but I've never finished higher than 3rd place in the 5 years I've been playing, so maybe its time for a new draft strategy.

I had the same concerns about Gurley, Vers, plus I read today that ESPN's Matthew Berry feels Bell is being overvalued, so they both make me a little nervous.

Legend
Legend
How many WRs does your league play per week? That would dictate my decision.

But if youre dead set on drafting one RB and one WR, I’d go with Jones and Bell if possible

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
V
Legend
Legend
V
Quote:
I read today that ESPN's Matthew Berry feels Bell is being overvalued

Did he explain why he thinks Bell is being overvalued?

Bell was a top producer in FF when he was playing. The Jets WRs and TEs are not all that. Darnold is a young qb who needs someone to help him out. Bell isn't rated as high as he used to be in FF projections.

So, I wonder why Berry said that? Is it just because he sat out a year or did he have other reasons?

Btw----I never listen to those guys. I did when I first started playing Daily FF, but quickly found out I did much better ignoring them. LOL

D
Dave Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
D
Here's what he wrote:

"1. Le'Veon Bell, RB, Jets: Worse O-line and worse offense than he had in Pittsburgh, hasn't played football in more than a year and has played all 16 games only once in his NFL career (2014)."

I try to read a lot of different guys, including here on DT, but its more to inform my own opinion than anything else.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Thanks Dave.

I get his facts, but I don't agree w/his conclusion. It will be interesting to watch.

D
Legend
Legend
D
How far did he drop bell? ... is it a ppr league?

My main league is a non ppr league ... i’ve Taken 2 rb’s out of the gate prolly 75% of the years I been doing this .. this is year 27 for us ...not sure if the3irs ever been a year I haven’t had 2 rb’s by the end of rnd 3 ...

This year ... i have pick 6 ... i want either Hopkins(not a shot IMO) or Devante Adams and then will have no problems taking a WR in rnd 2 ... i love the value of some of the RB’s in 3/4 and maybe even 5 .. in a 10 team league rnd 5 may have some great value ...

If the top 5 is Bark, Kamara, Caff, Hop and Adams ... i HATE my draft spot ... stupid Elliot holding out really hurts ...

I have no clue what i’ll do then ... could be Chubb, possibly Bell or M. Thomas or Julio ... Julio don’t score enough TD’s and this is a non ppr league so TD’s ROCK ...

Hopefully one of those 2 wr’s slice to me ... no way does one of the top 3RB’s fall to me ... and after that the value just isn’t there at the RB position ...

D
Dave Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
D
He didn't show rankings, but I assumed what he meant that he wouldn't take Bell at his traditional 1-4 slot.

In my draft, Hopkins went #4, Zeke went #5 (Cowboys fan took him), Michael Thomas went #6, and Bell went #7. I had a choice of David Johnson, Julio Jones, or Adams. I was worried about the injury designation on Jones (foot), and I'm not sold on Adams, so I took Johnson. I thought I'd go Odell Beckham with my 2nd round pick, but he went #11, followed by Tyreek Hill (who I was never taking anyway). I was left with a choice of Gurley or Juju S-S. I took Gurley in the 2nd, and followed up with Brandin Cooks, Stefon Diggs, and TY Hilton in rounds 3-4-5. I'm not thrilled, thinking I screwed up not taking Julio at #8, but what's done is done.

D
Legend
Legend
D
If thats all he dropped him I agree with him ... he’s not a top tier RB in my eyes because of all the factors he mentioned .... a ppr league would help his value but no way would i put him in the top tier with Bark, Kamara or Caff like he used to be .... i’d say he’s right around the top of the next tier ... to me tier 2 is HUGE this year ...

I would take him over David Johnson though ... Zona scares he crap out of me for many many reasons ....

At least it was only a mock .... hopefully your real draft goes better than that for u ... thumbsup

D
Dave Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
D
That was my real draft. blush

D
Legend
Legend
D
Oops ... bummer ...

8 is a tough spot ... your choices were brutal ...

T
Legend
Legend
T
Fantasy football advice. FF didn't always exist, 60 minutes, the TV show did a story on some old dudes who followed baseball players, pitchers first, then all kinds of player percentages for situations, and they started fantasy sports, iirc.

My point is FF was a cool concept but the multitudes got a hold of it, and, well changed it.

To my understanding FF, well lemme go back to the baseball dudes, they were selecting a group of guys they liked, and putting them up against the guys their friends liked, and there was the AL and the NL and pinch hitters and all sorts, But!
But Baseball is played everyday, 162 games a year,

They didn't switch off every single day, 162 times for 162 individual head to head matchups for 162 weekly W-vs-L for each two teams in their fake league, it woulda had to have been how my understanding of it is,
like a Car race,

Like a cumulative year, player year, if you have a 10 team league, 10 teams have whole years and at the end of the year, cumulatively someone has 1st to 10th best point totals, not individual week to week matchups.

instance, back in the day, could have said, I think Tony Dorsett would have a better year, and someone else would say, NO WAY, Walter Peyton is going to have a better year, and at years end, one of them had the better year.

The masses ruined things by getting all weird and looking at , well in week 4, this guy did this and that guy did that,
and your guy can score two TD's and get no fantasy points, (what's up with that), if a Qb walks across the goal line, or a Running back catches a TD, NO Points for you,

lest you started the game with the QB in your RB slot, and the Rb in your WR slot on your FF team, So.

FF advice, the masses ruined it, makes it difficult to find players who'll play it the correct way.

How it's supposed to be,
A speculative grab at the draft of who'll have the best year by years end. And at years end you see. The End.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Thanks for the advice.

DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Fantasy & Gaming 2019 Fantasy Football Advice

Link Copied to Clipboard