OP Offline
Legend
C

R
Legend
Legend
R
Uh-oh.

There's going to be dumb take after dumb take on here.

I'm getting my popcorn ready.

C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C
Quote:
“We’re always super cautious about what we don’t know,” DePodesta says, “and that’s an area where we lean really, really heavily on people with vast experience in the space: our scouts, our coaches, our players. They provide so much context and so much richness to any other information we might have.”

Quote:
“Computers are great at dealing in volume,” DePodesta says. “They can process so much more information than any one of us can individually, and they can do it without bias or emotion. But what they struggle with is context and nuance. That’s hard for a machine, and that’s where the human expertise and experience becomes invaluable.”

Quote:
That makes it incredibly important for everyone in the organization to be on the same page, and an NFL GM (or chief strategy officer) can’t just dictate policy to the coach the way an MLB GM can to a manager. The ability to communicate information and get buy-in from coaches and players was one of the last dominoes to fall in baseball’s sabermetrics movement, and it’s still a struggle in other sports. After living through that evolution in MLB, DePodesta views it as one of his primary responsibilities. The questions he sets out to research, he says, are largely inspired by what he thinks Kitchens and Dorsey need to know in order to make good decisions, and sometimes originate with the coach and GM themselves.

“More than anything, we try to make information as accessible and actionable as possible,” he says. “There’s a lot of interesting stuff. There’s a lot of neat stuff, but if it’s not actionable, it just isn’t relevant, and what we’re really trying to do is support both our coaches and our personnel people in their decision-making process.”

Quote:
What the Browns have done—stockpiling draft picks, unifying the organization’s thinking, looking outside football for ideas—makes success more likely, but not certain. DePodesta knows this.

“Our job is to try to corral uncertainty as best we can,” DePodesta says. “But we’re never going to reduce it to zero.”

C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: Rishuz
Uh-oh.

There's going to be dumb take after dumb take on here.

I'm getting my popcorn ready.

Probably yes, but hopefully not. These are real live actual recent quotes from Paul DePodesta. There is plenty of new, relevant discussion here without rehashing old arguments.

I've said all along that DePodesta's job is not to find the next great player but is a systems analyst getting everyone rowing in the same direction. I am heartened that a person as thoughtful as him has some sway with the Browns.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Excellent read.

I hope those who don't understand take the time to read the article. It was really good. Thanks for finding that.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
D
Legend
Legend
D
He did such a great job the first two years ... rolleyes ...

And he was great with the A’s and was either below average or HORRIBLE in baseball after that ...

Sorry Rish if u think FACTS are bad takes ... the man RUINED THE DODGERS ... RUINED THEM ....

Pretty sure none of his teams even made the World Series much less won one ... matter of fact ... i’d Bet his teams hardly ever made the playoffs ...

Dudes WAY OVERRATED ... especially in football ... analytics was around in football LONG BEFORE HIM ....

Pre Dorsey .... DEPO STIUNK ...

Post Dorsey ... menZas wanna give him way to much credit ... like the first two years didn’t exist ....

Pretty simple math as far as i can see ...

Ya’all enjoy ... i just wanted to bring a few facts to the depo love fest ,,, now i’ll exit so ya’all enjoy ... thumbsup

C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C
So. . . you didn't read the article?

V
Legend
Legend
V
Is this a Pure Football topic or a Tailgate topic?

C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog

Whatever you think it is, it's the other one.

T
Legend
Legend
T
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog

Two genius' were in a 1980's coming of age movie, in a college dorm. One Genius flys a remote controlled rocket ship or helicopter up in the dorm room, out the open window and crashes/burns it on the ground outside.

The 2nd genius asks a pertinent question about life, the first genius ignores this totally and asks the other, " Is that a launch problem or a control problem."

The queston goes unanswered, after all these years, I'm still 50/50 on the answer to that question.

It's about as easy to figure out as any of, Any of DTMB's forum descriptions; well, except political, but that's new.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Somehow I don't think the war will start again in this thread.

The Sashi haters will chime in some type of comment that signifies that they don't like what they can't understand but Sashi isn't Depo and it will take some effort to turn it into another Sashi vs Hue thread.

Hue does still suck though.

Legend
Legend
Wasn't an article on this posted months ago?

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Legend
Legend
Interesting article... thtanks for posting

<><

#gmstrong
H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
Originally Posted By: YTownBrownsFan
Wasn't an article on this posted months ago?

A continuing series

The Cleveland Browns - WE KNOW QUARTERBACKS ( Look at how many we've had ... )
M
Legend
Legend
M
Enjoyable read. Thank you for sharing.

Glad DePo is part of the organization.

DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum How the Browns and Paul DePodesta Brought Moneyball to the NFL

Link Copied to Clipboard