cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C
https://www.clevelandbrowns.com/news/sna...-deep-on-o-line

The above is a more detailed view.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/cle/2019-snap-counts.htm

David Njoku played 90.41% of the snaps. That is really high.

OBJ and Jarvis Landry both played 100% of the snaps. That is really high, especially for the first game of the season.

I am more interested in the defense. First, I was shocked to see Genard Avery inactive. I wonder if there is anything more to it as he would have helped give Myles Garrett (90.16%) and Olivier Vernon (91.8%) get a much needed breather.

Three played played 100% of the snaps which is somewhat surprising. Joe Schobert, Christian Kirksey, and Morgan Burnett. I thought Burnett would come off the field quite a bit but he basically played as a hybrid linebacker/safety. I'd be interested in seeing how many snaps we had three safeties on the field as Jermaine Whitehead played 57% of the snaps.

Greedy Williams was a surprise start and played 65.57% of the snaps.

Adarius Taylor had three total snaps on defense which means we had a base 4-3 defense on the field for as many snaps.

Larry Ogunjobi and Sheldon Richardson played 80%+ of the snaps while Devaroe Lawrence only played 18% of the snaps.

cfrs15 #1660346 09/09/19 05:46 PM
Legend
Legend
Wow Garrett and Vernon STILL played that many snaps? We don’t trust chad Thomas yet?

That seems like about 10% too many snaps to be honest

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
cfrs15 #1660404 09/09/19 07:38 PM
L
Legend
Legend
L
Why was Avery inactive?

Why can't Browns beat writers ask questions like that, instead of 15 questions about the discipline issues?

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
cfrs15 #1660408 09/09/19 07:43 PM
T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
No wonder why our defense was tired...I recall last year we had the same issue over exhausting our starters...Def. need to rotate in more along that Dline.

cfrs15 #1660409 09/09/19 07:47 PM
Legend
Legend

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: GratefulDawg

He is also not really REALLY an OT.

Where do these people come from?

[Linked Image]

cfrs15 #1660413 09/09/19 07:58 PM
Legend
Legend
Browns’ defensive snap counts, stats, and notes: Week 1

Myles Garrett is lucky to not be ejected, but still gets two sacks in the season opener.

https://www.dawgsbynature.com/2019/9/9/20856682/browns-defensive-snap-counts-stats-and-notes-week-1

Below, we analyze the snap counts and stats on defense for the Cleveland Browns’ Week 1 game against the Tennessee Titans.

Defensive Line
Pos Player Plays % Stats
DL Oliver Vernon 56 92% No stats registered.
DL Myles Garrett 55 90% 4 tackles, 1 assist (5 combined). 2 sacks, 2 TFL, 2 QH.
DL Sheldon Richardson 51 84% 4 tackles (4 combined). 1 pass defended.
DL Larry Ogunjobi 50 82% 3 tackles (3 combined). 1 sack, 1 TFL, 1 QH.
DL Devaroe Lawrence 11 18% No stats registered.
DL Daniel Ekuale 9 15% No stats registered.
DL Chris Smith 9 15% No stats registered.
DL Chad Thomas 5 8% No stats registered.

I am still baffled and annoyed at DE Myles Garrett for throwing an open-hand punch at TE Delanie Walker. It was a 6-3 game at that point, and the Browns had stopped RB Dion Lewis on the play for no gain, which would have set up a 3rd-and-4. What if Cleveland stops them and forces a punt, to get the ball at midfield? Granted, there were three other penalties later on that also extended the drive (which led to a touchdown), but sometimes it’s one thing that sets the tone and spreads. If Garrett had closed his hand to a fist, he would’ve been ejected. Keep your cool and be an example — that wasn’t it.

Garrett finished the game with two sacks; the first one was earned, but the second one was a matter of circumstance (i.e. end of game, and QB Marcus Mariota just slid to protect himself).

I feel like the Browns’ defensive line was all pumped up, envisioning how much destruction they were going to do to a Titans offensive line missing two starters. I expected Tennessee to come out and offer a lot of tight end help in chipping our ends, and they did that — and more. So much that it seemed like our defense was frustrated that they weren’t racking up sack after sack. It wasn’t a good look — and by the end of the game, the morale was lost and the Titans imposed their will.

Despite playing 92% of the snaps, DE Oliver Vernon did not make the stat sheet. DT Sheldon Richardson had two penalties. DL Devaroe Lawrence only played 11 snaps, and was flagged for allegedly telling an official “ *.” DE Genard Avery was inactive.

Linebacker
Pos Player Plays % Stats
LB Joe Schobert 61 100% 7 tackles, 2 assists (9 combined).
LB Christian Kirksey 61 100% 5 tackles, 1 assist (6 combined). 2 TFL.
LB Adarius Taylor 3 5% No stats registered.

The Browns made true to their 4-2-5 defense, because Christian Kirksey and Joe Schobert played every snap, but no other linebackers really played. Adarius Taylor played 3 snaps total. I was a little surprised that rookie Mack Wilson didn’t earn any defensive playing time in some type of rotation.

Cornerback
Pos Player Plays % Stats
CB Denzel Ward 60 98% 1 QH.
CB Greedy Williams 40 66% 2 tackles (2 combined).
CB Terrance Mitchell 18 30% 1 tackle (1 combined). 1 pass defended.
CB T.J. Carrie 15 25% 1 tackle (1 combined).

It was a bit of a letdown watching Denzel Ward’s first game of the season, as he allowed a 47-yard pass to rookie A.J. Brown right off the bat and was also flagged twice for defensive holding in the game.

I’m not too sure what Cleveland did with the other cornerback position. Leading up to the game, it was strongly worded by Steve Wilks that Terrance Mitchell would start, and that he typically doesn’t rotate cornerbacks. And yet, before the game, Greedy Williams was announced as the starter. Williams played 66% of the snaps, but Mitchell still got in for 30% of the snaps. The Titans don’t run a lot of three-receiver looks, so T.J. Carrie only played 25% of the snaps.

Safety
Pos Player Plays % Stats
S Morgan Burnett 61 100% 5 tackles, 1 assist (6 combined). 1 sack, 2 TFL, 1 QH.
S Damarious Randall 60 98% 4 tackles (4 combined). 1 pass defended.
S Jermaine Whitehead 35 57% 1 assist (1 combined). 1 QH.
S Eric Murray 11 18% No stats registered.

I just can’t shake it — I see that Morgan Burnett played 100% of the snaps and that Jermaine Whitehead played 57% of the snaps, but I’m like, “are these guys really starters on our team?” Burnett had the team’s first sack of the season and also had a tackle for a loss, coming down from the strong safety spot. Whitehead committed a roughing the passer penalty on the first defensive play — lovely.

Damarious Randall was flagged for defensive holding (same drive as Garrett’s punch), although I thought that one was a pretty good defensive play.

Eric Murray also played 18% of the snaps.

#gmSTRONG
cfrs15 #1660414 09/09/19 08:00 PM
Legend
Legend
Browns’ offensive snap counts, stats, and notes: Week 1

Damion Ratley sees more snaps than Rashard Higgins due to injuries, and Cleveland opts to go with only one tight end.

https://www.dawgsbynature.com/2019/9/9/20856681/browns-offensive-snap-counts-stats-and-notes-week-1

Below, we analyze the snap counts and stats on offense for the Cleveland Browns’ Week 1 game against the Tennessee Titans.

Quarterback
Pos Player Plays % Stats
QB Baker Mayfield 73 100% 25-of-38 (65.8%) for 285 yards, 1 TD, 3 INT.

Baker Mayfield wasn’t the reason the Browns lost on Sunday. He also wasn’t his exceptional self who could propel through the adversity to lead Cleveland to victory. Some of it was the playcalling — last year, much of Mayfield’s success came from the quick passing game. Then, in the right moments, Mayfield would let it rip or extend plays to make magic happen. Instead, on Sunday, we saw a lot of Mayfield dropping back and taking too much time behind terrible protection. It was a recipe for disaster.

Last year in October, there was a three-game stretch in which Mayfield was sacked for 5 times each game. However, in the final 7 games last year, he took 3 sacks total. Cleveland needs to figure out how to keep Mayfield comfortable — unless Greg Robinson keeps kicking people in the head, it’s the same line as last year, minus Kevin Zeitler (yes, I know that is a big minus).

The 1 touchdown-3 interception game somewhat reminded me of when Mayfield was caught off guard by the Texans’ zone defense last year. This time, the three interceptions all came in the fourth quarter, two of which looked like terribly inaccurate passes, which isn’t something Mayfield is known for.

Running Back
Pos Player Plays % Stats
RB Nick Chubb 51 70% 17 carries, 75 yards (4.4 YPC). 3 catches, 10 yards (4 targets).
RB Dontrell Hilliard 13 18% 1 carry, 4 yards (4.0 YPC). 1 TD. 1 catch, 14 yards (2 targets).
RB D'Ernest Johnson 9 12% 2 catches, 23 yards (2 targets).

I have no complaints about Nick Chubb, who had an average day statistically. The Browns were passing quite a bit at times, but I don’t think it was a sign of abandoning the run. The only gripe I had was a 3rd-and-1 situation in which the Browns passed instead of handing it off. The bigger issue was penalties that kept putting Cleveland well behind the sticks.

Dontrell Hilliard seemed like he was a big part of the game plan. He even got the team’s goal line carry and opening-drive touchdown. However, he exited the game due to a concussion evaluation, with D’Ernest Johnson taking his place.

Wide Receiver
Pos Player Plays % Stats
WR Jarvis Landry 73 100% 4 catches, 67 yards (7 targets). 1 carry, 10 yards.
WR Odell Beckham 73 100% 7 catches, 71 yards (11 targets).
WR Damion Ratley 35 48% 2 catches, 17 yards (2 targets).
WR Rashard Higgins 32 44% 2 catches, 46 yards (3 targets).

The positional unit that I have no complaints about is at wide receiver. Odell Beckham and Jarvis Landry each played the entire game, and either made contested catches (Landry) or looked like a threat to hit a home run on the catch-and-run on any given play (Beckham). I was perturbed by the offensive pass interference call before the half on Beckham, mostly because the Titans committed a hold, and Beckham more or less shoved the defender off of the hold, and was penalized for it.
Rashard Higgins should be a big part of this offense, and he was targeted three times on the first drive. He did play 32 snaps, but then missed the rest of the game to injury, something that I think hurt Mayfield because he has grown to be his security blanket. Damion Ratley was the only other receiver to play and ended up slightly out-snapping Higgins at 48% of the snaps. That isn’t ideal, since Ratley basically missed the entire preseason and hardly played in 2018.

Tight End
Pos Player Plays % Stats
TE David Njoku 66 90% 4 catches, 37 yards (6 targets).
TE Demetrius Harris 13 18% 0 catches (1 target).

This was a disappointing day for the tight ends. David Njoku doesn’t catch passes well over the middle that have some zip to them; the balls need to be either stuck right on him, or thrown higher/softer for him to go up and stab. I guess part of that should be on Mayfield too (i.e. know your personnel’s strengths and weaknesses). Still, Njoku couldn’t pull in two passes that could’ve extended drives.

Demetrius Harris dropped the lone pass he was targeted on, which also would’ve been a first down. He also got hurt on the play, but overall, only played 18% of the snaps. That is stunning to me — I thought Cleveland would run a lot of two-tight end sets, and with the pass protection issues the line was having, why wasn’t an extra tight end kept in to help?

Offensive Line
Pos Player Plays % Stats
OL Joel Bitonio 73 100%
OL JC Tretter 73 100%
OL Eric Kush 73 100%
OL Chris Hubbard 73 100%
OL Justin McCray 46 63%
OL Greg Robinson 23 32%
OL Kendall Lamm 4 5%

It’s not good when seven offensive linemen play on opening day. By halftime, the team was down to just five healthy offensive linemen. The devil’s advocate part of my brain was a bit fascinated with what the Browns would have done if one of those linemen would have gotten hurt. Does a tight end play? Does Charley Hughlett come in? Larry Ogunjobi might have been forced to play guard or something.

#gmSTRONG
cfrs15 #1660456 09/09/19 09:38 PM
L
Legend
Legend
L
Just an exhibition on what inexcusably horrendous coaching looks like

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
FL_Dawg #1660460 09/09/19 09:44 PM
V
Legend
Legend
V
Quote:

There are so many crappy tweets littered across the board. Most are posted from clowns and used to fuel a certain position.

R
Legend
Legend
R
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
Quote:

There are so many crappy tweets littered across the board. Most are posted from clowns and used to fuel a certain position.

There are a lot of crappy posts on this board also.

Legend
Legend
* insert masked profanity *

#gmSTRONG
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Just to be clear. I love most of your post of tweets, and my intention was not to shoot the messenger.

But there are a lot of Johnny appleseeds commenting on orange juice on that platform.

[Linked Image]

FL_Dawg #1661017 09/10/19 11:43 PM
L
Legend
Legend
L
I just got grateful's user name. Lol

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
lampdogg #1661018 09/10/19 11:44 PM
C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: lampdogg
I just got grateful's user name. Lol

Now I feel like I'm not getting something? Grateful Dawg?

cfrs15 #1661103 09/11/19 11:32 AM
Legend
Legend
I'd like to see Mack Wilson get some snaps at that hybrid LB/S spot.

And coaching staff has to get Avery on the field. Dude is a beast. Really reminds me of a James Harrison type guy. He should be first in line when Oliver and Garret need a breather.

I also think Mitchell should be starting over Greedy. Mitchell has the experience, and he has a history of being a good tackler, and good at creating turnovers.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2019 NFL Season Looking Back: Browns 13 Titans 43 Snap Counts

Link Copied to Clipboard