Print Thread
#1661950 09/13/19 09:42 AM
E
eotab Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
E
I know this is going up late but Like I'm sure many of you this loss and the way we lost devastated me and I went into football shock and stayed away from football all around.

I need to put this up for my sanity so thanks for reading if you choose to do.

I was disappointed with the Coaching staff as it looked like with all this time to prepare for this game we were not prepared mentally!

I saw our Franchise QB show that he is just that but I also saw him go into shock as it seemed after throwing 11 complete passes in a row (and not dink n dunk passes) he went into shock as we scored a TD on a long drive and then, I believe we were 2 points behind, Mariota who was not playing well at all throws a pass 2 yards behind the LOS and then watch Henry make a couple of cuts and then off to the races as he made a 75 yard TD on a screen. That took a lot of the fight out of us.

From that moment on we saw a QB who was not confident nor feeling dangerous and made some awful decisions along with some awful passes as he threw INT after INT. Just terrible.

I hate to be correct with a negative on our team. Before the game as we were being bestowed with accolades of glory I got scared that all will not be Glory and that I feared the weakness on our Team was the OL.

Our discipline was the worst maybe I ever seen. 14 penalties and none of the small variety. Many were stupid. Many were ghost penalties and once again it seemed we were not getting the holding calls to our benefit but they were.

For instance I remember we made a decent run 7-8 yards and it was called back cause of a hold on our TE 88 Harris. Harris had been in my dog house all summer with his bad play...so as I was cursing him out they showed the replay...wait a second, all he did was touch the guy, barely whats going on did Vegas want to improve the odds cause of all the money played on us???

Even Romo who was somehow enjoying our demise said "that was not a hold"

But lets get this straight, there were TOO MANY PENALTIES that were Truly made.

None more grievous than Robinson's penalty. He was thrown down to the ground at the end of the play, laying on his back he took a KICK to the player and not only were we assessed a 15 yard penalty but he was kicked out of the game.

In came Lamm I believe a second year UDFA...I think it was one series and he got injured...oh great now what. We then moved Hubbard over to LT and put a New guy McCrae that we got like 4 days before and had him play RT...from that point on Baker was running for his life. We cannot continue that play or else he will become damaged goods, he took a lot of bad hits.

My biggest complaint with Baker is that he was always going for the deeper routs, over 10+ on many of those that he chose incorrectly to throw to a double or tripled teamed WR he had Chubb wide open making a swing pass. It was an automatic for him and Baker ignored the easy positive throw...this has to stop.

Back to coaching. For no specific reason we abandoned the run game. Especially with a make shift OL we needed to RUN! Pure and Simple RUN, instead we made a run every now and then and mostly they were successful. And I'm not talking when we were 1st n 20, I'm talking when we were 1st and 10 we should have ran much more and then have an effective play action pass game with WRs wide open in space. Instead we got tightly covered WRs with hardly a breath of air of separation. I thought outside of the obvious scripted plays on our first drive which got us a TD Kitchens called a bad game and got sucked in having our QB drop back in a passing game way too often.
20 runs with over 100 yards gained we had the makings of a good running game instead we made one here and there. Run pass ratio was almost 1:2 The score was not indicative of how close the game was. We broke apart at the end of the 3rd on that 75 yard screen pass then came our 3 INTs along with 2 turnover on downs in our last 5 drives.

Up to that point 12 minutes into the 3rd it was a close game even though we were playing badly mostly with the penalties.

For example an early TD by the Titans had us making 4 penalties in that drive giving them first downs most of that 4 was with 3rd down stops instead we gave us a lot of yards and a first down. Titans did NOTHING to garnish that drive and TD...we gave them that 7 points. GAVE THEM!!!

And yet there we were down 15-13 with around 3 minutes left in the third and are Offense was clicking remember it was here that Baker had thrown 11 completions in a row and nothing dink and dunk about them. Just something happened with the team when they got the ball back (they the Titans) and the first play a screen pass for 75 yards. Everyone's heads went down from there. It was like our whole team was in disbelief and realized that we were going to lose the game. Oh we didn't just lay down but in the back of our heads we were most definitely thinking that...you can see the shock on the team and especially visible on Baker.

I like our Punter, that was it I thought he had a good game. Our defense who we made the preseason decision not to play our starters a lot. Well it seemed as the game wore on especially in those last 18 minutes we seemed to get TIRED! Nobody made a big play.

You know what bothered me, in the entire preseason and I get it don't take preseason too seriously. But in the entire preseason I don't think our Defense who played well made one turnover. No fumble recovery No INT...except I think the first game Wilson made one...that was it. Coming into the game I was like OK we definitely are going to make sacks but what worried me was we were not making TURNOVERS...and at that end of the game we needed to match them turnover for turnover to at least SLAP ALL IN THE FACE and get back to taking the game over and WIN!!!

Well again sorry for the late entry, I didn't even come to the board I just felt like the life of me was sucked out....as mentioned in the past deep down I thought we might lose...this time I was pinch me as in a great dream about our team...well I got pinched and it became a NIGHTMARE...I'm slowly getting back to the football, like a scared deer coming out of the deep forest to test the meadow. Now what...

I was thinking of having a bunch of Jet fans (who are friends) come over for the MNF game. Instead I think I will watch in solitude and hope my dream turns out with Unicorns and rainbows again not this Black dark clouds with Storms surrounding me.

Catch you all later! If you wish to note something you saw that stuck out in your mind from the game. Please let us know about it in detail. Thanks and again I hope to be back to a cheery mood on Tuesday!

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Legend
Legend
When you are vested in a sport as a fan, player, coach losing hurts. Hurts bad.

I swore after the Byner fumble I would never get that emotional about any sporting ever again. But you can not change who you are.

The Titan game hurt. I believe in Baker. I believe he can be very good. I was disappointed in his performance. Even with all the mistakes and they were excessive. I felt we could win. But as things fell apart so did Baker. He pressed. He made bad decisions and poor throws at a time that called for leadership.

Now that some time has passed I can think more clearly. The Titans deserve some credit. They played good defense and did enough on offense. Baker is in his second year. He has not seen it all. Quarterbacking in the NFL is a never ending learning process. Baker fell into a desperation mode and that made things worse.

When you watch it happen to another quarterback it is easier to accept. It is not like great quarterbacks have not done the same thing.

So we lost. There is plenty of blame to go around. I stated before the season began in multiple threads that our tackles at best were average. Kush or one of the guys we just brought in can play guard well enough. Our tackles can play good enough. But they can not have a melt down and play way below average.

I am kind of old school in that I like to establish play action through the run game. When the OL loses the starting LT and his backup four plays later. Forcing position changes. You have to adjust the play calling.

Freddie all through camp emphasized penalties. He ran a tough camp. The players committed the penalties in this game. Freddie's gets his share of the blame but not all of it.

So turn the page. You learn. You correct the mistakes. Play a better game and let the talent play to their potential.

Games like the Titan game were going to happen. It is to bad it was in the opener. Because we all wanted this game real bad.

How we play going forward will tell what kind of team this is.

Legend
Legend
i read your negatives on baker, and it enlightened me to something:

atleast we saw a QB not scared to try and take chances even with a bad game happening. we ALL have seen QB's fold and not take shots or chances and end up being completely conservative on the field.

maybe what we all saw what how much Baker is like Farve? i dunno. but the gunslinger mentality was there the whole game, so hey...atleast we got that?

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
Legend
Legend
J/c

One thing that’s concerning about Baker is his slowness in progressing read to read. It seemed slower against Tennessee than I can even remember. Not only that, but he has NOT been accurate in the preseason or last week .. that’s not like him

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
The look on Bakers face was unlike I have ever seen. He looked concerned and confused. That is not the look I am used to seeing, even in losing games. Hope it doesnt happen again.

Joe Thomas #73
Legend
Legend
I agree ... he had very little emotion and not much confidence/banter with anyone ... he was truly perplexed, whether that was with their defense or our own sucktitude

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
R
Legend
Legend
R
Originally Posted By: BADdog
The look on Bakers face was unlike I have ever seen. He looked concerned and confused. That is not the look I am used to seeing, even in losing games. Hope it doesnt happen again.

I think too much is being made of this. I don't think his face was showing that at all. I think he was just frustrated.

Baker has every skill you want in a franchise QB. The only thing Baker has to do is work hard and try to understand the nuances of the game and how to attack the game cerebrally. If he's willing to do that, he's going to be good for a long time.

The concern is if he is willing to do that. That's really the only thing with Baker. He's full of pride, ego, and stubbornness. Will those things get in his way?

Legend
Legend
I think that he was hurt, and not able to make throws he might otherwise make.

Didn't he hurt his right wrist in the game?

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: Rishuz
That's really the only thing with Baker. He's full of pride, ego, and stubbornness. Will those things get in his way?

I've seen it work both ways. I've seen these traits work as attributes on the road to success and I've seen them work as stumbling blocks. I think it's far too early to draw a conclusion.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
I
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I
Loses like this don't bother me at the end of the day its just game.
It's entertainment.
The game isn't what it was 30 40 years ago.
Today you got guys being more intrested in their "brand" then
Actually winning.
It's all about promoting yorself.
This team was over rated from the hop.
You are what the score says and what your record is.
There is no moral victories in a 30 point beat down at a sterile stadium.

Legend
Legend

Don't know who read what Myles said about when he saw the leadership in Baker.

He said it was at half time of the Texan game last year. After he had thrown three picks.

Baker didn't say a thing. No false bravado. He keep to himself. He came out and played better.

Quarterbacking is a super tough job. A life time of learning.

I expect Baker to respond.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: YTownBrownsFan

Yes, when sacked for a safety. His throws after that were not the same.

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Sadly, the offense was defensive and the defense was offensive.

Legend
Legend
“How do you feel about your offense’s execution?” ... “I’m in favor of it”
Originally Posted By: SuperBrown
Sadly, the offense was defensive and the defense was offensive.

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
This will be a "What I Heard":

Jim Donovan was on the radio at one point during the ride home Monday. Among other things, he expressed that he was very surprised about the team's number of penalties and lost composure.

He said that both penalties and composure were drummed at the players all throughout training camp. The coaches were all over the players when they showed a lack of discipline when it came to penalties of any sort. He stated their performance is the opposite of how they were coached in TC. FWIW.

He also expressed dismay that they couldn't get "it" corrected at halftime. "It" being the penalties. He was stunned that orders to 'cut it out' either weren't spoken or weren't followed. I think that's a bit of new-ness in the coaches and players and a lack of a vet leader getting in their ears.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: YTownBrownsFan

I'm more wondering if he tore some cartilage along his ribs before the wrist/hand issue. He took an awkward sack early and looked uncomfortable the rest of the game.

Last edited by Bull_Dawg; 09/14/19 01:44 PM. Reason: Might have been a hit rather than an actual sack. It's getting a little hazy as I try not to dwell on it.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: WSU Willie
This will be a "What I Heard":

Jim Donovan was on the radio at one point during the ride home Monday. Among other things, he expressed that he was very surprised about the team's number of penalties and lost composure.

He said that both penalties and composure were drummed at the players all throughout training camp. The coaches were all over the players when they showed a lack of discipline when it came to penalties of any sort. He stated their performance is the opposite of how they were coached in TC. FWIW.

He also expressed dismay that they couldn't get "it" corrected at halftime. "It" being the penalties. He was stunned that orders to 'cut it out' either weren't spoken or weren't followed. I think that's a bit of new-ness in the coaches and players and a lack of a vet leader getting in their ears.
Nice info, thanks. I hadn’t heard this yet. I was surprised too (and I could tell Freddie really was) ... I had read ALL offseason that we were making a big effort to curb penalties ... so either it was a fluke, or we just have dumb/insubordinate players

DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2019 NFL Season Looking Back: Browns 13 Titans 43 What I saw Game 1

Link Copied to Clipboard