Next Thread
Print Thread
#1662808 09/15/19 06:16 PM
B
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
B
I am a big fan of Ken Burns. Tonight he takes a 16 hour look at Country Music.

He did one on Jazz maybe 15 years ago, it was excellent.

I am looking forward. It is on your PBS station at 8 eastern.

Jazz and Country. The two music genera's born in this country. It should be good viewing.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
Legend
Legend
Peter Coyote does such a fantastic job of narrating Ken Burn’s documentary’s.

#GMSTRONG
L
Legend
Legend
L
I will watch it at some point, but I was interested when I heard about this the other day.

he's great at what he does and I'm a bit of a music history geek, plus I knew country music before I knew anything about rock.

We need more country music threads. If I had to pick a fave, it'd be Garth Brooks, also love Hank Jr., Travis Tritt, Alabama and a few Milsap ditties. Smoky Mountain Rain is a great song.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
I hope he chronicles how country music on the radio since the mid 2000s has basically been pop music with banjos. Miranda Lambert has been the only bright spot of the last 10 years on country radio. Zac Brown started great, and then he deicded to start making terrible EDM music...

The independent artists (Sturgill Simpson, Cody Jinks, Jason Isbell, Sara Shooks, etc.) keep the spirit of country alive.

Legend
Legend
Isbel runs the voodoo down.
I love what he does.

"too many notes, not enough music-"
R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
I assume you've looked up Sturgill Simpson? If not, start with Metamodern Sounds in Country Music.

C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
Quote:
iranda Lambert has been the only bright spot of the last 10 years on country radio

Going to see her in Columbus on the 25th of this month. I've never been much of a fan of country, but my wife has gotten me into it a bit. Saw her in Cleveland about a year and a half ago as well. I like Old Crowe Medicine Show and Tyler Childers as well. I've always been a fan of Johnny Cash. Love going to Nashville as well, some of the live bands, especially during the day, are great. At night it turns more into the pop-country at most of the bars.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Ken Burns is in a class of his own in regards to documentaries.

He has done more to bring American history to light than any filmmaker.

I have watched all his films. Jazz and Baseball in particular. Just excellent.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Just finished his War between the States for the 2nd time. Looking forward to Country Music.

L
Legend
Legend
L
I stayed up until 2:30 am this morning watching the episode chronicling the years 1973-1983, which is probably my favourite decade of country. I could have recorded it but I got into it and had to finish watching.

Hank Jr., Waylon, Willie, plus people like Emmylou, Townes van Zandt, and George Jones in the 70s and into 1980, when he did He Stopped Loving Her Today.

Let me know when there's a better song written in that genre.

Truly great stuff to watch.

To add: Pancho and Lefty is a great song even when I warble through it. wink

Last edited by lampdogg; 09/25/19 06:02 PM.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
Legend
Legend
Funny how we mellow over the years. My mother was the Okie in our family and how I ended up in Oklahoma. Growing up in my home, we listened to country music. She didn’t prevent us from listening to what we liked but what was playing in the house was country, if my mother was home. So this series has been like a time capsule for me, bringing up memories of my mother. Because of that, I’ve enjoyed this series very much. I also found, the contempt I had in my youth for this style of music has faded and I wish my mother was still with us so I could spend some time listening to it with her.

#GMSTRONG
Legend
Legend

On episode four and really enjoying it.

Can not say I am a country music fan per se. I just love music.

Very open to any music.

Huge fan of Patsy Cline. Her slow heart break songs are just great.

Gram Parsons is another guy I like. Over time I became a Johnny Cash fan.

Ken Burns makes it all interesting. He has a way of presenting material like no one else.

P
Legend
Legend
P
I certainly agree with you about the outlaw country episode. As a child I felt like country music was being force fed to me. My parents listened to it and I just couldn't relate to any of it. Then came outlaw country. Waylon was certainly my favorite out of them. Songs like Lonesome On'ry and Mean, I Don't Think Hank Done It This Way and Honky Tonk Heroes were actually songs that had something I could relate to.

Of course my dad who loved country hated the outlaw movement. lol

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Johnny Cash is well covered and rightfully so by Ken Burns.

This song Johnny sings very late in his career. Somehow it seems to capture him perfectly.

P
Legend
Legend
P
With the death of June and his death shortly after, his version of the Nine Inch Nails song, Hurt, really hit home for me. It was shortly after my own fathers death as well.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend

Early on I was not a country fan at all. Except for Patsy Cline. Just loved her voice.

Johnny was one note Johnny Cash to me. Outside of a few of his hits I paid no notice.

Gram Parsons got me into country music.

Then when Texas country with Waylon and the boys started I grew to like that sound.

The Nashville Skyline Dylan album got me interested in Johnny. Now I love his music.

Watching the Ken Burns documentary has got me interested in a few guys. Merle Haggard damn I didn't know his songs were as good as they are.

It is great to be introduced to music that slipped by me.

Legend
Legend

Sometime in the seventies I was in Austin Texas. I went to see a band that I had seen before in Montana called the Mission Mountain Wood Band. They were playing at a place outside Austin called the Soap Creek Salon.

I have never been a drinker. But that night I got hammered. I owned an old International Travelall and had a bed in it. So I slept there in the parking lot.

In the morning someone knocked on the window. I woke up thinking I probably need to move on. The guy knocking said there was a private party that night and asked if I wanted to work helping out. I said "ok, sure who is party for?" He said Willie Nelson was throwing a party for The Country Music Association.

All through the day buses arrived bringing all kinds of people. It ended up being quite an affair.

Bob Dylan, Willie Nelson, Charlie Pride, Leon Russell just to name a few along with band players and all kinds of Nashville music business people were there.

There I was. Just a guy from the parking lot mixing with music royalty. People were doing coke on the buses. Drinks were flowing. My jaw dropped when I tried to act cool walking right past Dylan. Inside my stomach was a ball of knots. I had just seen him at the Armadillo with the Rolling Thunder Review a few nights before.

What an event to fall into. I had worked setting things up and stayed all through the night as the party carried on.

I remember when it is was all over and I headed my way thinking "wow what a crazy thing to happen."

B
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: bonefish

Early on I was not a country fan at all. Except for Patsy Cline. Just loved her voice.

Johnny was one note Johnny Cash to me. Outside of a few of his hits I paid no notice.

Gram Parsons got me into country music.

Then when Texas country with Waylon and the boys started I grew to like that sound.

The Nashville Skyline Dylan album got me interested in Johnny. Now I love his music.

Watching the Ken Burns documentary has got me interested in a few guys. Merle Haggard damn I didn't know his songs were as good as they are.

It is great to be introduced to music that slipped by me.

The best concert I ever saw was a Haggard concert maybe 5 years ago....maybe 3 years before his death.

My wife is a non-country fan, but a ageing Haggard fed off the sold out crowd. The guy played for 3 hours. They played way past the play list on the floor. Merle said lets play this, and the Strangers did....it was great. They just jammed

Merle is #1 in my book. That guys life was incredible.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend

What struck me about where I am in episodes is some of the lyrics.

It had seemed from my limited exposure to country that lyrically a lot of the songs were similar and kind of juvenile.

Listening to the lyrics of Merle and Kris Kristofferson I appreciate way more the poetic beauty of their lyrics.

P
Legend
Legend
P
As you know I like a wide range of music. There are quite a few country concerts I've seen that stand out to me but #1 in my book way "The Highwaymen". Waylon is pretty much my country idol and Johnny Cash is a true legend. Getting to see them all perform together before Johnny and Waylon passed means far more to me now than it did then.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend

Really enjoying the Ken Burns film.

There is a sensitivity in country music that I love.

Gram Parsons had it in bundles. So sad to see so much promise unfulfilled.

R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
How do you feel about today’s country music that is on the radio?

P
Legend
Legend
P
The vast majority of it is pop music.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend

I don't listen to the radio.

Some of what is played gets to me at some point.

For sure there is pop country. I tend to listen to a band or person. I don't just listen to country.

If I like an artist I will search out their material.
And the genre is not important to me.

B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
Originally Posted By: RocketOptimist
How do you feel about today’s country music that is on the radio?

There is no country music on the radio.

DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Everything Else... Ken Burns, Country Music

Link Copied to Clipboard