Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1664538 09/17/19 01:12 PM
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Snap count notes and observations from the Browns on MNF

https://brownswire.usatoday.com/2019/09/17/snap-count-notes-and-observations-from-the-browns-on-mnf/

Some notes and observations on the Cleveland Browns snap counts on both sides of the ball in the Week 2 win over the New York Jets…

The Browns and Jets ran almost the exact same amount of plays on Monday night. Cleveland’s offense had the ball for 69 snaps, a nice one more than New York.

The entire starting offensive line played all 69, as did QB Baker Mayfield. Jarvis Landry sat for just one, with fellow wideout Odell Beckham Jr. getting in on 63 snaps (including a forced break for his visor).

The interesting break for the Browns comes at tight end. Starter David Njoku left the game with a concussion after just 10 plays. That left Demetrius Harris atop the TE list at 54 snaps. Two of those came in 12 personnel with Njoku also on the field.

Pharaoh Brown stepped in and played 18 reps, with Ricky Seals-Jones making his Browns debut on the final three offensive snaps.

Running back saw split duty between Nick Chubb (42) and D’Ernest Johnson (27), with zero plays where both were on the field. No other RBs got in the game.

On defense, there were three iron men: LB Joe Schobert, CB Denzel Ward and S Jermaine Whitehead, who got the start for the injured Damarious Randall.

Greedy Williams was on the field for all but one play, while nickel CB T.J. Carrie saw action on 39. Safeties Morgan Burnett (47) and Eric Murray (42) were on the field for over half the snaps, too.

At LB, Mack Wilson played 11 reps as the No. 3 LB. That’s a big uptick from Adarius Taylor, who he replaced because of injury. Taylor played just three in Week 1. It is worth noting that five of Wilson’s reps came on the final two Jets drives after the game was well in hand.

One development worth watching: CB Terrance Mitchell did not play on defense and saw action on just four special teams reps.

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
C
Legend
Legend
C
Weird that Mitchell has basically become irrelevant. I guess he and/or Greedy just can't play in the slot.

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Mack Wilson getting 11 (of 68) reps as LB3 is a big uptick from Adarius Taylor (3) in Week 1. Could be the Jets being more run-heavy, could be a sign of things to come. The Browns have now had 3 LBs on the field for 14 of 118 defensive snaps.

https://twitter.com/JeffRisdon/status/1174006931494789122

*128, I'm not a mathemagician. Less than 10%. Stop calling them a 4-3 is the larger point...

https://twitter.com/JeffRisdon/status/1174007278665641984

#gmSTRONG
C
Legend
Legend
C
As the first article you posted said five of Wilson's snaps were in garbage time and are basically meaningless in the grand scheme of things. It was enough time on the field for him to get a personal foul though!

V
Legend
Legend
V
Mack also came in for a snap or two when Kirksey went out w/an injury. Kirksey returned, but he did come out of the game for at least one play. Maybe more. I'm not sure.

Legend
Legend
Man, Mitchell has gone from being a productive, if not good staring CB, to a strict backup

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life
Man, Mitchell has gone from being a productive, if not good staring CB, to a strict backup

It's definitely nice to have him in case Greedy or Ward go down.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Greedy played well last night

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
Legend
Legend
I am impressed with Greedy. Tough position for vets to play, but a rook has way more on his platter. Game speed, tackling in NFL, and complex defenses, and more. He seems to be working through it to become a real contributor, not just a participant. Hats off to him.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
P
Legend
Legend
P
I noticed when we stopped the Jets on 4th down at the eleven yard line Greedy attacked the ball carrier and was the main reason we stopped them ... If you get a chance to review it look that play, it shows me he isn't shy when it comes to tackling ...

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Browns’ defensive snap counts, stats, and notes: Week 2

Myles Garrett logs three sacks, Joe Schobert plays very well, and Denzel Ward looks a bit off.

https://www.dawgsbynature.com/2019/9/17/20870935/browns-defensive-snap-counts-stats-and-notes-week-2

Below, we analyze the snap counts and stats on defense for the Cleveland Browns’ Week 2 game against the New York Jets.

Defensive Line
Pos Player Plays % Stats
DL Oliver Vernon 49 72% 1 tackle (1 combined).
DL Myles Garrett 47 69% 3 tackles, 2 assists (5 combined). 3 sacks, 3 TFL, 5 QH.
DL Larry Ogunjobi 42 62% 2 tackles, 2 assists (4 combined). 1 QH.
DL Sheldon Richardson 41 60% 3 tackles, 2 assists (5 combined).
DL Chris Smith 26 38% 1 pass defended.
DL Devaroe Lawrence 26 38% No stats registered.
DL Daniel Ekuale 22 32% 1 tackle, 1 assist (2 combined). 1 TFL.
DL Chad Thomas 19 28% 2 assists (2 combined).

One thing that gets under my skin a bit is when defensive linemen don’t rotate enough to stay fresh. Cleveland did that last week, as all of their backup linemen played in 9% or less of the snaps. In Week 2, that changed. The four starters were each around 60-70% of the snaps, while the four backups were at 30-40% of the snaps.

Myles Garrett is a different animal this season. I love the intensity he is bringing, and the increased use of his strength to bulldoze over people. I couldn’t believe how long it took Jets head coach Adam Gase to make an adjustment and start having people chip Garrett a tad. As far as his roughing the passer penalties go, I didn’t like the fact that Garrett did it twice on 3rd-and-long when the quarterback was backed up and had already thrown the ball. You know those type of plays get called in the NFL. If his idea was to punish quarterbacks and not care about the fine to follow, then mission accomplished, I guess. It is hard to be critical of Garrett, though, because then you’re telling a possessed/dominant player to be careful with the very drive that helps him get some of those other sacks.

An improvement for Olivier Vernon this week: he showed up on the stat sheet with one tackle! Chris Smith deflected a pass late in the game to get on the stat sheet.

Linebacker
Pos Player Plays % Stats
LB Joe Schobert 68 100% 10 tackles, 3 assists (13 combined). 1 TFL. 1 FF.
LB Christian Kirksey 57 84% 1 tackle, 3 assists (4 combined).
LB Mack Wilson 11 16% 2 tackles, 2 assists (4 combined).

Besides one whiff on a spin move by Le’Veon Bell, this was a great game for Joe Schobert, who led the team with 13 tackles. He forced a fumble on Bell late in the game to prevent them from getting a touchdown. Schobert was the Browns’ highest-graded defender by Pro Football Focus for Week 2:

The #Browns highest-graded player on defense last night was MLB Joe Schobert. His key stats among qualifying WK2 LBs:

▪️86.3 Def. Grade (6th)
▪️90.5 coverage grade (T-2nd)
▪️Allowed 3 catches for 6 total yds

Mack Wilson saw some action, but only when Christian Kirksey had to exit the game for an injury. Otherwise, for the second week in a row, it looks like Cleveland had no intention of giving any reps to their rookie linebackers.

Cornerback
Pos Player Plays % Stats
CB Denzel Ward 68 100% 4 tackles, 3 assists (7 combined).
CB Greedy Williams 67 99% 2 tackles, 1 assist (3 combined).
CB T.J. Carrie 39 57% 1 fumble recovery.

Through two weeks, second-year CB Denzel Ward looks “off.” I know some of it is zone coverage, but some of the biggest pass plays the Browns have given up have come in the direction of Ward.

Greedy Williams played all but one snap this week, ending the rotation that he was in with Terrance Mitchell last week. Mitchell only played on special teams this week. Williams did a solid job from what I could see — the Jets didn’t pass downfield very much, though. T.J. Carrie helped lock Jamison Crowder down for the whole came.

Safety
Pos Player Plays % Stats
S Jermaine Whitehead 68 100% 5 tackles, 1 assist (6 combined).
S Morgan Burnett 48 71% 2 tackles, 4 assists (6 combined). 1 sack, 1 TFL, 1 QH.
S Eric Murray 42 62% 1 tackle, 2 assists (3 combined).
S Sheldrick Redwine 8 12% No stats registered.

It’ll still take me time to get used to Cleveland’s safety situation, especially with Damarious Randall having been out this week. Jermaine Whitehead played the entire game; and then a combination of Eric Murray, Morgan Burnett, and Sheldrick Redwine played too. Burnett had his second sack in as many weeks.

#gmSTRONG
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Browns’ offensive snap counts, stats, and notes: Week 2

We get a peek at the Browns’ running back usage in 2019, the tight end reps after the injury to David Njoku, and more.

https://www.dawgsbynature.com/2019/9/17/20870934/browns-offensive-snap-counts-stats-and-notes-week-2

Below, we analyze the snap counts and stats on offense for the Cleveland Browns’ Week 2 game against the New York Jets.

Quarterback
Pos Player Plays % Stats
QB Baker Mayfield 69 100% 19-of-35 (54.3%) for 325 yards, 1 TD, 1 INT.

We are two weeks into the NFL season, and Baker Mayfield still hasn’t quite hit his stride yet for the 2019 season. Against the Jets, he seemed to have some trouble seeing the field and held on to the ball a few ticks too long. His dropbacks were very deep, and some of his throws were delivered as he is almost falling backward (fortunately, he has the arm strength to get it there). Something needs to improve with getting the plays in to Mayfield, too — he would line up often and barely have time to read the defense before just snapping the ball to avoid a delay of game penalty.

One reason that Mayfield could be a bit off is not having that trust in his outlet receivers. Last year on third down, those guys probably would’ve been Rashard Higgins, David Njoku, or Duke Johnson. None of them were available against the Jets, for different reasons.

I thought Mayfield’s most comfortable looking throw was the quick hitter to Beckham that ended up going the distance. On the next series, he also lobbed the ball deep for Taywan Taylor. It fell incomplete, but it looked like more of a confident throw. The interception that Mayfield threw wasn’t a bad ball — the defender made a good play on it. In hingsight, you can say that we should play more conservative there, but that’s not something you can just teach Mayfield — he is who he is.

Running Back
Pos Player Plays % Stats
RB Nick Chubb 42 61% 18 carries, 62 yards (3.4 YPC). 1 TD. 4 catches, 36 yards (4 targets).
RB D'Ernest Johnson 27 39% 3 carries, 8 yards (2.7 YPC). 3 catches, 42 yards (4 targets).

This week, we got to see a sample of the time split that the Browns intend to use when RB Dontrell Hilliard returns to action — and maybe even when RB Kareem Hunt comes back for the second half of the season. Nick Chubb had 61% of the snaps and the bulk of the carries, but D’Ernest Johnson played 39% of the snaps and seemed to handle the blitz well.

Combined, the Browns’ running backs caught 7 passes for 78 yards. Mayfield’s propensity for throwing the ball deep, even on third-and-long, helped draw the defense back later in the game for Cleveland to wisely sneak in some screen passes to the running backs.

Wide Receiver
Pos Player Plays % Stats
WR Jarvis Landry 68 99% 3 catches, 32 yards (7 targets).
WR Odell Beckham 63 91% 6 catches, 161 yards (10 targets). 1 TD.
WR Damion Ratley 42 61% 2 catches, 50 yards (3 targets).
WR Taywan Taylor 18 26% 0 catches (1 target).

We saw two highlight-reel, game-changing type of plays made by Odell Beckham Jr against the Jets. His one-handed catch down the sideline early on looked darn-near impossible to haul in. And then, on the 89-yard touchdown catch-and-run, Beckham showed off just how fast he is:

Beckham's max speed of 21.7 mph is the fastest any player has run scoring a TD this season, according to NFL Next Gen Stats.

Pro Football Focus also had Beckham as the Browns’ highest-graded player on offense for Week 2:

The #Browns highest-graded player on offense last night was Odell Beckham Jr. His key stats among qualifying WK2 WRs:

▪️87.6 receiving grade (4th)
▪️85.4 offensive grade (8th)
▪️4.88 Yards Per Route Run (4th)

Jarvis Landry played the most snaps among the receivers. He made a great catch at the end of the first half to set up a field goal. There were a couple of high-and-short passes that Landry couldn’t haul in during the game, but I blame Mayfield for those miscues.

Damion Ratley showed some nice speed in this game, but is still considered just a fill-in until Rashard Higgins can return, hopefully this Sunday. Taywan Taylor saw his first snaps on offense of the season.

Tight End
Pos Player Plays % Stats
TE Demetrius Harris 54 78% 1 catch, 4 yards (1 target).
TE Pharoah Brown 18 26% 0 catches (1 target).
TE David Njoku 10 14% 0 catches (1 target).
TE Ricky Seal-Jones 3 4% No stats registered.

The early concussion suffered by David Njoku meant that Cleveland had no receiving threats at the position for the rest of the game. I’m sure we’ll see Mayfield eventually hit someone like Demetrius Harris or Pharoah Brown for a 30-yard pass this season, alas Darren Fells from a year ago, but for the most part, they just seem way too slow with suspect hands to be viewed as a viable starting candidate.

Offensive Line
Pos Player Plays % Stats
OL Greg Robinson 69 100%
OL Joel Bitonio 69 100%
OL JC Tretter 69 100%
OL Eric Kush 69 100%
OL Chris Hubbard 69 100%

The offensive line improved dramatically in Week 2. Mayfield was sacked three times, but two of them were coverage sacks in my opinion.
Cleveland only had to play their starting five offensive linemen, thanks to Greg Robinson for not going on kicking spree again.

#gmSTRONG
Legend
Legend
Garrett playing 70% of the snaps is way better than 95%

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
V
Legend
Legend
V

Legend
Legend

The article reinforces my initial thoughts on Schobert.

One of my favorite players. If he is resigned I may have to get a jersey.

Just a smart heads up player. Knows where to hunt. He is wrapping up better. Plays the pass very well. You never see him out of position.

Captain of the defense. He lines guys up seems to smell plays out.

I am sure his game preparation in studying the opposition is for tendencies and tells is first rate.

A real pro.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:
Besides one whiff on a spin move by Le’Veon Bell, this was a great game for Joe Schobert, who led the team with 13 tackles. He forced a fumble on Bell late in the game to prevent them from getting a touchdown. Schobert was the Browns’ highest-graded defender by Pro Football Focus for Week 2:

According to PFF Bell caused 12 missed tackles in the game. So Joe he wasn't alone lol.

[Linked Image]

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: FL_Dawg
Quote:

According to PFF Bell caused 12 missed tackles in the game. So Joe he wasn't alone lol.
Bell made a lot of guys miss on that last drive or two as well; we pretty much bottled him up as best as we could

for my money, Bell and Chubb are two of the best RBs at getting through contact

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Quote:
An improvement for Olivier Vernon this week: he showed up on the stat sheet with one tackle!
I don't think you realize the effect Vernon has on the fact Garrett is getting more sacks. You said it yourself, Gates waiting longer to chip garrent and give help to the LT. Vernon is why.

O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted By: willitevachange
Quote:
An improvement for Olivier Vernon this week: he showed up on the stat sheet with one tackle!
I don't think you realize the effect Vernon has on the fact Garrett is getting more sacks. You said it yourself, Gates waiting longer to chip garrent and give help to the LT. Vernon is why.

I hope, for Vernon's sake, that that attention from offensive coordinators will pinball back and forth between the 2.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Legend
Legend
I believe it will, and does.
I also think it shows in the interior with our DT's.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2019 NFL Season Looking Back: Browns 23 Jets 3 Snap Count Notes

Link Copied to Clipboard