Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
R
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
R
Could it be possible for us to start using more of our RPO elements this season? The only times we moved the ball tonight, or even this season, came from up-tempo stuff where Baker made a quick read or we kept the defense guessing.

I know our offense isn't built in a base to make the RPO happen, yet could we build off of some of the success we had against the Rams and other teams?

Here's a few vids that I gained knowledge from with the RPO:

------------

I've always thought the common criticism of a RPO base offense is "QB run=QB injured", yet I see a lot of interesting misdirection plays that doesn't involve the QB taking off often.

I know the Ravens ran a form of this last year when we played them with Lamar under center, and he gashed us.

R
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
R
Here's a few more with animated GIFs from the game.

This is really cool tech!

I have no idea why we didn't stick to this stuff against the Rams...

Legend
Legend
The RPO seems to be the only way we can move the ball quickly or with any consistency ... it is closer to last year’s stuff than this stupid air raid where we have three WRs streaking while the QB is patting the ball and escaping to the right.

Given Baker’s strengths and weaknesses, as well as the OT struggles and the need to get it to our play makers early, I think more of this should be coming

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
YES we need more RPO and less air raid. Baker needs to get rid of the ball quickly because of our weak OL.

S
All Pro
All Pro
S
Unfortunately, we are in a tough spot, having gotten rid of our best lead blockers to help in the run game, so the RPO is one of the few tools that we have left that our personnel our already experienced with from college. Given that Freddy had some success with it against the Rams, I would expect to see him using it more and continuing to work on changing Monken's system further based on the few things that have worked.

It will be interesting to see if Monken and Freddy can collaborate and come out with something that works, I am really low on Monken right now, because this offense is producing the same results here that it did in Tampa. I do not believe that it can be successful in the NFL.

Legend
Legend
1) Fix Kitchen
2) Fix Baker Mayfield
3) Fix tackles

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
1) Fix Everything

R
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
R
Is this offense feasible to run for an entire game as the base?

R
Legend
Legend
R
Originally Posted By: RocketOptimist

Freddie said no to that today, but he didn't really say why.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: Rishuz
Originally Posted By: RocketOptimist

Freddie said no to that today, but he didn't really say why.

From From Freddie's presser today...

On the Browns success with RPOs last night and if that will become a staple of the offense:

“It was kind of a staple of the offense last year and it is a staple earlier this year. I just need to do a better job of calling them.”

https://www.clevelandbrowns.com/news/fre...e-press-confere

T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
What I love about the RPO is it freezes the defense and makes them pause and watch for a moment...and we need some of that, instead of the constant attacking.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Put Baker under center for like 40% of the plays. Both run and pass from under center. Opens up the play-action which effectively creates that defensive hesitation you describe. Keep Baker in the gun every single play and the D will just attack every down. No reason not to.

#BlackLivesMatter #StopAsianHate
Legend
Legend
j/c

We are definitely most comfortable and successful right now with these RPO quick hitters ... I kinda wish we could build off of them and add wrinkles so that we could use it more

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
R
Legend
Legend
R
Hmmm...I just went back through the transcript and don't see it. But I could have sworn he said something to that effect. I was listening at work. Maybe I just heard wrong. It was a long presser...27 minutes. The transcript was kind of short for 27 minutes. I think they left some stuff out. I believe the question was can you run that offense full time.

Maybe I dreamt it.

Legend
Legend
Just to chime in, I think he said “It wasn’t feasible” to the hurry up/no huddle offense all game .. not necessarily the RPO stuff ... but maybe they’re one in the same, IDK

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Bard Dawg
1) Fix Kitchen
2) Fix Baker Mayfield
3) Fix tackles

I think that if we fix Freddie, that will fix Baker which will help the tackles a LOT.

Dump the "dream offense" that he's waited his entire career to implement, and go back to primarily what worked last year. Get this thing rolling, then slowly integrate the new stuff to morph it into something more powerful.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I posted this in the post game thoughts, and I'll expand on it here:

Quote:
I'd like to see us run a pistol set where we motion Landry into the backfield beside Baker with Chubb behind. Have OBJ running a slant from the right. Sneak Landry into the flat where OBJ was. Run an RPO with an attached TE on the left going up the field to get behind the LB if he plays the run hard. If the LB sits back let Chubb ram it down their throats between Robinson and Bitonio with a pulling Tretter joining the mashup.

I was talking about that in the red zone, but I don't see why we couldn't make it a staple. Mix in a hard play action from the same look with OBJ running a sluggo and the TE running more of flag route to try to pull the safety in his direction.

Occasionally hand it to Landry on a counter sweep with Chubb as the lead blocker.

Fake fly sweep to an in motion OBJ and have Chubb run opposite the LB flow.

Detach the TE and have him try to seal/crash down for the fly sweep to OBJ.

Have Baker hand off to Landry looping behind him and have him throw to Chubb running a block fake wheel route.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Run Pass Option Base Offense?

Link Copied to Clipboard