Next Thread
Print Thread
#1665189 09/19/19 01:17 PM
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
Please list/discuss your keys to the game on this thread. I have a few.

--Aaron Donald is considered the best defensive player in football. Will the extra attention directed towards him open up outside pressure from the likes of Clay Matthews? This could be an even bigger key because Hubbard is banged up.

--The Rams lost their starting center and one of their guards. Can the Browns DL generate enough pressure to fluster Goff?

--The Rams have three good WRs in Cook, Woods, and Kupp. We are playing a lot of zone and were in Cover 2 quite a bit last week w/Randall out. Kupp is excellent in finding the holes in zone coverages. He might be a huge key in this game.

--Can Freddie and Monken do enough scheme wise to get Baker and offense rolling? Do we adjust or stay w/what's not working?

--Our WRs vs the Rams' secondary. Talib is legit. Can we exploit Peters w/either OBJ or Landry? He isn't as bad as some claim, but you can burn him for big plays because he is a gambler.

I would love to hear your keys to the game.

Legend
Legend
I think this game is all about both OLines; it will be a defensive battle with both offenses struggling.

The key to winning is to do better at beating the rush than the opponent. Period.

Neither OLine will control the line of scrimmage, so whichever one can manufacture more opportunities to keep things going is the team that will win.

Turnovers: we will need to get a couple and not give them any; at the very least, it takes away opportunities from them

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Legend
Legend
- Aaron Donald is #1 of course
- Our own game plan on O is #2 IMO ... this MUST be corrected to accentuate our strengths and limit our weaknesses
- Our LB play is crucial this game ... the Rams toy with you with play action all game ...very tough to read the plays because of their sameness in formation

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
J/C

In swish's thread I predicted Browns win, but I honestly don't know how we can pull this one off, but for us to - here are my keys....

Oline - can we withstand their defensive pressure coming at Baker? I honestly am fearful Baker could get injured this game.

shutting down their WR - Our secondary is beat up a bit with Randall out, he is a bigger piece to our defense than some give credit too. Can we sustain coverage enough for our rush to get there? As Vers pointed out, we play a lot zone now, and Kupp has a knack for sitting down nicely in it and making a play.

Goff - he has struggled on the road, I fear this could be his road coming out party. Can we get pressure and FAST to keep him off his spot? We need to pressure him, but we also must not lose the edge because of....

Run game - Rams run game is no joke - even with Gurley on a pitch count. I know its only 2 games, but they are averaging I think 140 yards per. Someone mentioned they love play action, if we can stop the run, maybe we can limit our defense biting on it.

Baker - it all starts and ends with Bake. He needs to make a gigantic leap this game. I think with our oline, that will be difficult for him to do.

Offense in general - I am sure its just high hopes, but maybe FK and Monken have been keeping the trick plays for under the big lights - against one of the leagues best. . . . I hope so, because I think we need a lot of help to win this one.

Legend
Legend
Perhaps an underrated aspect: West Coast team traveling 3 time zones East.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater
Perhaps an underrated aspect: West Coast team traveling 3 time zones East.

Very true....although I would prefer it was a November game instead of a September one, we are also on a short week though too.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
#1. Baker Mayfield - If he can settle down and find the open man in <2.5 sec like last year, it will automatically improve the offense 3 fold.

#2. Higgins - Higgins is my fav WR on the team and has been since we drafted him. Probably a little bit because I'm a contrarian and don't wanna go with the superstars we have above him :-P but also because he's the type of guy that moves the chains on 3rd down, an area we struggle with. The 2 years we've been decent, 2002 and 2007 we had guys like him. He's our Joe Jurevicious.

#3. Staying mentally in the game - We improved last week a bit, tho never really faced adversity from the Jets. This week we will. Cannot regress to penalties.

#4. The Refs - LA are a big market team and have been getting a LOT of help from Refs. We're going to need to score 10 extra points to offset whatever free roughing the passer or PI calls they get. Garrett cannot land on top of Goff ever, it will be called every time.

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
J/C

After seeing the updated injured list, our keys to the game will be to make it out alive.

Legend
Legend
Both teams are top 10 in yards allowed per game at +/- 300 yards allowed.

Opportunities to score are likely to be scarce for both teams, the team that capitalizes on scoring opportunities and gets TDs instead of FG attempts is likely to win this game. or.... the team that can create a turnover or a special teams play or something to get them a scoring opportunity or two..

In Swish's thread I picked an insane stat line for the Browns and a lot of points.. I don't think it's going to be that.

yebat' Putin
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
The key to the game is our injury list

SaintDawgâ„¢

Football, baseball, basketball, wine, women, walleye
B
Legend
Legend
B
1. Run the ball to control the clock

2. Roll Baker to keep him away from the D line.

3. Landry will be the key receiver...target him on quick hitters a lot.

4. The D line needs to pressure w/o blitz help

5. Jamie Gillan needs to keep them facing long fields.

6. Siebert needs to hit the 43 yarder with 3 seconds to win the game by 2.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
D
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
D
1. Keep Baker upright. running the ball & utilizing play action would be a welcomed sight.

2. Baker taking what is there. Hit the underneath routes early to open up some long routes late.

3. penalties. Don't make them. We cannot face 3rd & long all game. Nor can we give them 1st downs on dumb penalties.

Overall I do think we have a chance. It will definitely comedown to controlling the L.O.S. We have the talent, just need to take what is there and be patient with the run game.

Go Browns!!!!!!!

O
Legend
Legend
O
One thing I'd like to see in games like this (but know won't happen) is us handing the Rams a heavy dose of run game. Our defense will have to ball out as well, with the knowledge that you're not going to completely stifle an explosive offense like this. They're going to make plays, but you want to slow them down enough so that it's close at the end of the game. Keep that D out there and get them tired and keep that offense on the sideline and let them get cold.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Legend
Legend
1) Sustained drives.
2) Make Baker do his job. Roll him out as a design. Seams, slot and Chubb.
3) LImit all the extended plays which have produced little except injuries and flags.
4) Solve why BM is delivering the ball late and high (see play of Njoku's injury). This is bad; accuracy and timing are killing what should be our strength. Honeymoonis over.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
T
Legend
Legend
T
3 yarda and a cloud of dust;
Feed the Crow, Crowell; ( I know, years gone by)

Control the clock by using all of the 35 second clock on offensive snaps, which are all going to be runs, of course, because, we've been over this,

If you can establish the run, and put up 450 yards on the ground, I've yet to see a team lose, when was the last time you saw a team lose that went for 450 rushing on the day.

Every time, you ever watched a highlight of a run play that went the length of the field for a score, it started with the decision by the team to run the ball on that play.

Establish the run, what I mean is,

if you don't make the other team commit resources to stopping your running attack, then there's no way to even know if your offense wasn't going to be pushing around their defense all day long, and you could run for 450 on them.

After you establish the run, and force them to stop you, after that,
then you pass when you have to, and do that passing with precision, accuracy and quick strike ability.

Fight for every yard.
Mix things up, last year Baker really seemed to spread the ball around to a bunch of different receiving options.

Spread the ball around.

Play man coverage with safety help over the top, BUT! rotate a different cover corner on their best receiver with almost every single play.
Best defensive philosophy I can rememeber,

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: oobernoober
One thing I'd like to see in games like this (but know won't happen) is us handing the Rams a heavy dose of run game. Our defense will have to ball out as well, with the knowledge that you're not going to completely stifle an explosive offense like this. They're going to make plays, but you want to slow them down enough so that it's close at the end of the game. Keep that D out there and get them tired and keep that offense on the sideline and let them get cold.

No doubt we need to be playing for a end game win.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:
I think this game is all about both OLines; i

I think its it's about play calling... The offense is struggling..so lets have Baker dropping back 5 steps...wtf

And wtf means why the flags .... brownie

Legend
Legend

Good Post.

In the Jets game the OL for the most part played well. Robinson had a good game. The interior is fine with Bitonio, Tretter and Kush. Hubbard if he plays will have his hands full. This is a tough assignment for our OL. Donald will have to be identified on every play. Just like a Mike. Tretter will have to call protections with a pre-game plan on chips for Donald.

Freddie is well aware of the challenge. IMO early in the game we have show different looks and set up plays to negate the rush. Screens both inside and outside. Short slants. On sets with two TE's qb under center; look like run, one TE in short pass route as seem or slant.

We have to get them to pause from play action. The offensive plan should look like WCO.

Goff is an accurate passer. He is not real mobile and often struggles under pressure. Richardson has been very good inside. Both our tackles have played well together. With their interior injuries I am sure Wilks will use some loops and stunts to get to Goff.

The Ram pass game is top notch. They love to bunch receivers and create route confusion. We have injuries in the secondary. If Goff gets time to pass it will be a difficult day.

I think our receivers are a challenge to any team. Like I stated earlier we need to establish a WCO type of quick attack and run with Chubb. And we need to stay patient with it. Do not fall into trying for the long ball. Stay with the plan. Later in the game take your shots deep.

This game is a tough challenge for the Browns. I fear Gurley. He is tough, powerful and fast enough to break big runs. Very good back. And I expect them to use him especially early to negate our rush. Kirksey is out. Mack will play. Schobert will help Mack and try to get him in the right place. Both will be needed to limit Gurley.

We can not turn it over.

I expect a hard fought tough game with a final score in the teens or low twenties.

Could go either way.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen

2. Roll Baker to keep him away from the D line.

Actually Baker is one of the best QBs within the pocket. We need to find a way to protect him or to have him get the ball out early. Baker struggles outside the pocket.

To me this is the most important key to the game. If this happens we will score points. Who cares how many points the Rams score, we just need to outscore them and this is the first step in doing so.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted By: DeisleDawg
Quote:
I think this game is all about both OLines; i

I think its it's about play calling... The offense is struggling..so lets have Baker dropping back 5 steps...wtf

And wtf means why the flags .... brownie

If I'm catching the sarcasm I agree. More 3 step drops and quick releases. It's abominable that we aren't doing the things that Baker succeeded with last year. For me the struggles fall squarely on the coaches and the offensive and defensive schemes. If we continue to do the things thay aren't working as the original post suggests we will lose and lose big. And I'm going to lose my mind....

Legend
Legend
Add the refs to the list. We need some deep moves in the mix. Just find a way. This could be one of those Pork Chop Hill games.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Bard Dawg
Add the refs to the list. We need some deep moves in the mix. Just find a way. This could be one of those Pork Chop Hill games.
itd be nice to get a call or two , yes

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: DCDAWGFAN

Opportunities to score are likely to be scarce for both teams, the team that capitalizes on scoring opportunities and gets TDs instead of FG attempts is likely to win this game. or.... the team that can create a turnover or a special teams play or something to get them a scoring opportunity or two..

We were in the red zone 4 times and scored 13 points. They were in the red zone only twice and scored 14 points then got 2 FGs without getting into the red zone. Ball game.

yebat' Putin
Legend
Legend

We were in the red zone 4 times and scored 13 points. They were in the red zone only twice and scored 14 points then got 2 FGs without getting into the red zone. Ball game.
that sums it up right there

DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2019 NFL Season Looking Back: Browns 13 Rams 20 Keys to the Game

Link Copied to Clipboard