Jay Cutler
Scott Mitchell
RGIII
Sam Bradford
JP Loseman
Duante Culpepper
Jake Locker

Honestly, I don't understand this list.

Only Culpepper and Mitchell have as good or better TD per game rate in a single season.

I don't think any of them had a season like Baker did. Culpepper threw like 40 TDs in a season with 1/3 of them to Moss. Mitchell was a career back-up and then had a few decent games including the one against the Browns that started his "career" because we killed Marino. I'm not even sure where he fits in in comparison to Baker.

Vince Young took like 3-4 years to throw as many TDs as Baker did in 1. Sanchez took 2.

I would also argue that Carr had one of his better seasons last year, but the rest of his team sucked and he lost his #1 receiver.

This is just such a weird list because honestly I don't think anyone on that list is really comparable.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: devicedawg
Quote:
Consider some of these names:

Vince Young
Mark Sanchez
Jay Cutler
Scott Mitchell
RGIII
Sam Bradford
JP Loseman
Duante Culpepper
Jake Locker

Honestly, I don't understand this list.

Only Culpepper and Mitchell have as good or better TD per game rate in a single season.

I don't think any of them had a season like Baker did. Culpepper threw like 40 TDs in a season with 1/3 of them to Moss. Mitchell was a career back-up and then had a few decent games including the one against the Browns that started his "career" because we killed Marino. I'm not even sure where he fits in in comparison to Baker.

Vince Young took like 3-4 years to throw as many TDs as Baker did in 1. Sanchez took 2.

I would also argue that Carr had one of his better seasons last year, but the rest of his team sucked and he lost his #1 receiver.

This is just such a weird list because honestly I don't think anyone on that list is really comparable.

He wasn't comparing them to Baker, he was simply posting evidence that there is such a thing as a "sophomore slump".

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
L
Legend
Legend
L
Correct.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
T
Legend
Legend
T
We need to make sure Sam Darnold gets a load of his own brand of Sophmore Slump in about 70 days, on Monday Night Football, in New York, When the Browns come to town and ruin a Jets early season home game!

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:

He wasn't comparing them to Baker, he was simply posting evidence that there is such a thing as a "sophomore slump".

I recognize that. My post remains the same, however. The only one on the list who I think might qualify is Bradford. There may be a case for RG3 as well, however I fail to see how the rest would be considered to have had a "sophomore slump." To me, it's still a weird list. The comparisons to Baker are arbitrary and not a direct rebuttal to the original post.

I am curious to know why or how QBs like Losman, Locker, Mitchell and Cutler are considered to have had a sophomore slump and why they are included on this list.

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
You are right. I am wrong.

Have a nice day.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog

And I won't even try and question your character. We just disagree on what arrogant is or isn't, kinda like we did on Josh Gordon. Remember that? You called me everything but a human being in those conversations.

Huh? I have no idea what you are talking about. Regarding Josh I always wanted him to master his demons for his own sake. I said the same thing the other day somewhere on the board - I still feel the same way. The only comment I can remember you ever making was that fans only wanted to wish him well because he was a Brown ... I don't remember anything personal at all. Feel free to correct me.

As for the instances you listed - I'd call them immature or emotional. Not arrogant. As would many I think. I haven't claimed he's a saint or without flaws in his behavior.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: Rishuz

There will be a ton of people that dismiss that and write it off as "confident" because he's a Brown. Those same people would be blasting him if he were on another team.

Probably some truth to this - there is a tendency to sometimes hate the guy on the other team that you'd love to if he was on your team. That said - I can't count the number of non Browns fans that I've spoken to and they virtually all say that they love what Baker brings to the Browns and his attitude in addition to his play. After being seen as doormat for many years - I think their thought process is the Browns need someone to bring some 'tude to the Browns play on the field.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
You are right. I am wrong.

Have a nice day.

What am I right about? I didn't say anything about right or wrong, I just asked why was Jake Locker on the list of having a sophomore slump.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted By: mgh888
Originally Posted By: Rishuz

There will be a ton of people that dismiss that and write it off as "confident" because he's a Brown. Those same people would be blasting him if he were on another team.

Probably some truth to this - there is a tendency to sometimes hate the guy on the other team that you'd love to if he was on your team. That said - I can't count the number of non Browns fans that I've spoken to and they virtually all say that they love what Baker brings to the Browns and his attitude in addition to his play. After being seen as doormat for many years - I think their thought process is the Browns need someone to bring some 'tude to the Browns play on the field.

I wouldn't be in that group. Plain and simple I don't see Baker's actions as arrogant. If humble is the opposite of arrogant, I would call Baker humble. If Baker was arrogant I wouldn't have been so adamant about drafting him.

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
Can we get back to keys to the season, please?

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Quote:

I recognize that. My post remains the same, however. The only one on the list who I think might qualify is Bradford. There may be a case for RG3 as well, however I fail to see how the rest would be considered to have had a "sophomore slump." To me, it's still a weird list. The comparisons to Baker are arbitrary and not a direct rebuttal to the original post.

I am curious to know why or how QBs like Losman, Locker, Mitchell and Cutler are considered to have had a sophomore slump and why they are included on this list.

I see your point and agree. The term "sophomore slump" is usually used when a freshman/rookie balls out in year one, only to slide to mediocrity in year two. I don't recall any guys on that list fitting that criteria - maybe RG3, but he turned out to be a fluke. Carr is the most-recent guy I can think of.

I personally think of sophomore slumps more-so for guys who actually got back in the groove in year 3. Again, that list contains few guys that fit that bill as well.

Fluke, flash-in-the pan, over-rated, sophomore slumpers, not-really-that-good-in-the-first-place, etc. Let's hope Baker is not put in any of those categories.

Keys:

Baker's development
Baker staying healthy
Other key guys staying healthy

E
Legend
Legend
E
Let me know when he grabs his junk as a Brown then you got something there.

Try "IMMATURE" as that is the correct status of his past. Just like his opponents were as well, not shaking hands at the coin toss. And the constant exchange of insults by the student body at a hostile environment. His immaturity took over and when in the process of answering all that with drive after drive he decided to ear mark that beating to the opponent with the junk grab.

I don't see what that has to do with him being "arrogant" as a Browns QB.

Try stating what he was and that would be Immature. He still has that fire and combative nature but maturity will eliminate the junk grabbing I'm sure.

Man you really hate the guy...lol laugh

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Legend
Legend

Injury has been brought up by many. Depth is important but not many teams can afford to pay backups big money.

When I look at tackle I get nervous.

The starters are Robinson and Hubbard.

Behind them:

KaJohn Armstrong - undrafted rookie
Brian Fineanganofo - undrafted rookie
Drew Forbes - rookie 6th round
Kendall Lamb - 5th year
Brad Seaton - 1 year exp. 7th round drafted by Titans

Not exactly a warm fuzzy feeling there. Lamb maybe but the others?

I am hopeful that when cuts take place or before we pick up a veteran guy.

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
I think inserting injuries into one of the three keys to the season is a good choice. If Baker gets hurt, we are probably in big trouble. See the Backup QB thread. An injury to one of our offensive linemen could be devastating.

Dorsey has done a great job of replacing the junk that the previous FO put out there, but I don't think we are deep enough to overcome a significant amount of injuries.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Probably not. We will have to hope that the guys step up and play the way John thinks they can.

Staying fairly healthy is always a key. A very obvious key. When good players go down, team play suffers. Teams don't have 22 starters with 22 players of equal ability sitting there as insurance.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend

Some areas we have some depth.

Some we would hurt big time.

We might survive a few games without Baker but not many.

As stated I think we need to sign a veteran tackle.

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted By: bonefish

Some areas we have some depth.

Some we would hurt big time.

We might survive a few games without Baker but not many.

As stated I think we need to sign a veteran tackle.

Not disagreeing with you here...but we already did that in Kendall Lamb. With the interior depth we appear to have, maybe Bitonio is the backup LT?

T
Legend
Legend
T
If humble is the opposite of arrogant, I would call Baker humble. If Baker was arrogant I wouldn't have been so adamant about drafting him.

Proud is the opposite of Humble, Arrogant/Arrogance is a little different, Arrogant carries a more negative connotation.

We can all be proud we accomplished a goal, arrogance is to be moreso, "In Your Face" "I accomplished the flippin Goal."

Which is the process of being,(arrogant)<edit) doing, which is the act of Bragging,
bragging, unlike what many people seem to tell us now a days,
bragging is still bad, and arrogant, even if you can back it up.

It's more classy to back it up, but leave it , to let the action to speak for itself, (think James Bond, getting over on a villain).

Yeah! Keys to the season.

Last edited by THROW LONG; 07/09/19 03:15 PM.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
In these conversations, i think sometimes our own personal definitions of what is confident vs cocky vs arrogant vs proud varies from one poster to the next. To put the conversation on the same page here are the definitions from merriam-webster:

Confident

1 : full of conviction : CERTAIN
confident of success
confident that conditions will improve

2 : having or showing assurance and self-reliance
a confident young businessman
a confident manner

Cocky

1 : boldly or brashly self-confident
a cocky young actor

2 : JAUNTY

Arrogant

1 : exaggerating or disposed to exaggerate one's own worth or importance often by an overbearing manner
an arrogant official

2 : showing an offensive attitude of superiority : proceeding from or characterized by arrogance

Proud

1 : feeling or showing pride: such as
a : having or displaying excessive self-esteem
b : much pleased : EXULTANT
c : having proper self-respect

2a : marked by stateliness : MAGNIFICENT
b : giving reason for pride : GLORIOUS
the proudest moment in her life

3 : VIGOROUS, SPIRITED
a proud steed

Last edited by Jester; 07/09/19 03:15 PM.

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
Legend
Legend
I always took arrogant to be "I'm better than you because I can ......."

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Legend
Legend

Depending on how camp goes especially for guys like Drew Forbes.

It would not surprise me when cuts are made or before that we don't sign a guy.

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
Well, I admire the tenacity that some of you are displaying in making this thread all about Baker's personality and nothing to do w/the "Three Keys to the Season," even after I asked that we move on.

We aren't going to agree about Baker's personality. I'm fine w/those who don't agree w/me. They are opinions. Perhaps y'all can respect my right to have an opinion?????

May we please move on now?

B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: YTownBrownsFan
I always took arrogant to be "I'm better than you because I can ......."

You learned something

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: bonefish

Depending on how camp goes especially for guys like Drew Forbes.

It would not surprise me when cuts are made or before that we don't sign a guy.

You can bet we will sign a few at camp cut dates. I can't think of a time where rosters were made....for a day or five before being cut in favor of another cut player.

Things as still very fluid a week or so after final cut down date.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
I thought I would revive this thread because it seems relevant. My three keys were coaching, QB, and Chemistry.

Right now, the coaching and qb are not looking very good. Chemistry has not yet been combustible, but I wonder what will happen if we don't start winning?

G
2nd String
2nd String
G
If we keep losing it will kill the chemistry.
Unless Baker starts playing better it will be hard for him to lead.
Freddie had better start coaching and calling plays better.
Team discipline as far as penalties will only get worse with more losing.
I said before the season started that Freddie needed to become more of a leader instead of trying to be every one's buddie. That good old boy act will wear thin with each loss.

I just want a winner. We need players who can be part of the solution not part of the problem.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Three Keys to the Season

Link Copied to Clipboard