Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1668272 09/23/19 08:03 PM
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Browns’ defensive snap counts, stats, and notes: Week 3

Mack Wilson, Juston Burris, T.J. Carrie, Eric Murray, Jermaine Whitehead, and Terrance Mitchell each played every snap on defense (and so did Joe Schobert).

https://www.dawgsbynature.com/2019/9/23/20879945/browns-defensive-snap-counts-stats-and-notes-week-3

Below, we analyze the snap counts and stats on defense for the Cleveland Browns’ Week 3 game against the Los Angeles Rams.

Defensive Line
Pos Player Plays % Stats
DL Oliver Vernon 62 94% 2 tackles, 2 assists (4 combined). 1 QH.
DL Myles Garrett 58 88% 1 tackle, 1 assist (2 combined). 1 sack, 1 QH, 1 forced fumble.
DL Larry Ogunjobi 53 80% 2 tackles, 1 assist (3 combined). 1 sack, 1 TFL, 1 QH.
DL Sheldon Richardson 48 73% 2 tackles, 2 assists (4 combined).
DL Daniel Ekuale 16 24% No stats registered.
DL Devaroe Lawrence 13 20% 1 tackle, 1 assist (2 combined).
DL Chad Thomas 12 18% 2 assists (2 combined).
DL Genard Avery 2 3% 1 tackle (1 combined).

The Browns and their defensive line did a solid job stopping the Rams’ running game, as Todd Gurley and Malcolm Brown combined for 17 carries for 50 yards (2.94 YPC).

Myles Garrett had a tougher assignment this week in veteran Andrew Whitworth, but the Browns wisely let him go over to the other side on certain downs. That paid off big at the end of the first half, when Garrett just got a piece of Jared Goff from behind, leading to a fumble (and a field goal) that gave Cleveland a halftime lead.

Chris Smith did not play this week. Genard Avery was active for the first time and played two snaps; he made one tackle.

Linebacker
Pos Player Plays % Stats
LB Joe Schobert 66 100% 3 tackles, 3 assists (6 combined). 1 pass defended, 1 fumble recovery.
LB Mack Wilson 66 100% 3 tackles, 2 assists (5 combined).

Right off the bat, the Browns threw Mack Wilson into Christian Kirksey’s spot for all 66 snaps of the game. The rookie did a very good job, as PFF points out; and nearly came away with an athletic diving interception.

Mack Wilson earned some positive marks in the run game and should finish reviews with a solid overall grade. He recorded multiple defensive stops and zero missed tackles on first review.

Joe Schobert also had another solid game. He scooped up the first half fumble in stride to set Cleveland up in field goal range; and then when the Rams were trying to seal the game in the fourth quarter, his drop in zone coverage forced a tip, which led to an interception that gave the offense a chance to tie it.

Cornerback
Pos Player Plays % Stats
CB T.J. Carrie 66 100% 6 tackles, 1 assist (7 combined). 1 INT, 2 passes defended.
CB Terrance Mitchell 66 100% 4 tackles (4 combined). 2 TFL.
CB Juston Burris 66 100% 4 tackles (4 combined). 1 INT, 1 pass defended.

T.J. Carrie, Terrance Mitchell, and Juston Burris played every snap. It is particularly noteworthy for Burris, who wasn’t signed to the team until Friday (although he was with the team during the offseason). Burris came away with the late interception off of Schobert’s tip.

Carrie was beat once by Cooper Kupp for a touchdown, where he was clearly frozen. However, later on, he continued fighting and made a diving interception that, in an ideal world, would have been the turning point of the game.

Safety
Pos Player Plays % Stats
S Jermaine Whitehead 66 100% 3 tackles, 1 assist (4 combined). 1 pass defended.
S Eric Murray 66 100% 3 tackles, 2 assists (5 combined).

Eric Murray and Jermaine Whitehead also played every snap on defense. Whitehead has gained the reputation of being the player who fans seem to hate on defense, and he did himself no favors this week with a late personal foul hit on Goff, and then getting beat by Kupp for his second touchdown of the game.

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
Legend
Legend
Garrett’s snaps back up there again

I’m surprised Mack Wilson played that much ... that’s probably a good sign that he wasn’t that bad then

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Browns’ offensive snap counts, stats, and notes: Week 3

Cleveland’s offense still struggles under the helm of Baker Mayfield; and Nick Chubb plays almost every snap.

https://www.dawgsbynature.com/2019/9/23/20879944/browns-offensive-snap-counts-stats-and-notes-week-3

Below, we analyze the snap counts and stats on offense for the Cleveland Browns’ Week 3 game against the Los Angeles Rams.

Quarterback
Pos Player Plays % Stats
QB Baker Mayfield 72 100% 18-of-36 (50%) for 195 yards, 1 TD, 1 INT. 1 rush, -1 yard.

The Rams have a good defense. But it doesn’t take an expert to see that Mayfield is a bit broken right now. It’s not exclusively him; there is no doubt that he can make all the throws, but he is bailing from the pocket too early, and one of the reasons I think he’s doing that (besides worrying about the protection) is that there is seldom a checkdown receiver available to him if he knows he needs to get rid of it.
A key turning point in the game yesterday came after T.J. Carrie’s interception. The Browns took over near midfield, but Mayfield and Nick Chubb weren’t on the same page for a handoff. Oddly, Mayfield still tried to hand the ball up to Chubb upfield, amidst traffic. It led to a fumble, which Cleveland recovered, but it just killed all the momentum in a situation where the Browns had the potential to go up by two possessions.

Running Back
Pos Player Plays % Stats
RB Nick Chubb 70 97% 23 carries, 96 yards (4.2 YPC). 4 catches, 35 yards (7 targets).
RB D'Ernest Johnson 1 1% No stats registered.
RB Dontrell Hilliard 1 1% No stats registered.

From a production standpoint, this was a solid game for Nick Chubb. The surprising statistic is to see that he played nearly every snap: 97% of them.

Don’t get me wrong: I love Chubb, and feel he can handle it. I acknowledged that he could’ve been in on some more third down situations for the first two games. But, for him to jump to 97% while the other two backs see two total snaps? That’s a pretty extreme shift. You want to keep your back somewhat fresh throughout the game, right? Or maybe have Dontrell Hilliard run an arrow route or something?

Wide Receiver
Pos Player Plays % Stats
WR Jarvis Landry 71 99% 3 catches, 62 yards (9 targets).
WR Odell Beckham 71 99% 6 catches, 56 yards (9 targets).
WR Damion Ratley 57 79% 3 catches, 26 yards (5 targets).
WR Taywan Taylor 2 3% No stats registered.

The Rams play very good coverage, but Cleveland’s tandem of Odell Beckham and Jarvis Landry should be one of the best in the game. When the ball is coming their way, they are doing their job and catching it. But to finish the game with neither of them having a big day on the stat sheet is another slam against the offense: it should be hard not to get production out of these guys, and yet Cleveland is doing just that.

Damion Ratley played in place of the injured Rashard Higgins again. I don’t know how well Ratley can get himself open with route running, but he deserves credit for catching everything being thrown his way. Despite not playing in camp due to injury, I can see why he was kept around.

Tight End
Pos Player Plays % Stats
TE Demetrius Harris 65 90% 1 catch, 2 yards (2 targets). 1 TD.
TE Pharoah Brown 16 22% No stats registered.
TE Ricky Seal-Jones 6 8% 1 catch, 14 yards (2 targets).

With David Njoku on injured reserve, it looks like the initial plan is to use Demetrius Harris as the team’s primary tight end. He caught the team’s only touchdown of the game, and was targeted in the back of the end zone on the final drive. That is the area of the field where his usage as a receiver is best suited.

Pharoah Brown was called for a pass interference penalty for blocking downfield way too early on a screen pass. Ricky Seal-Jones only played six snaps, but was targeted twice and is certainly the quickest of the Browns’ tight ends.

Offensive Line
Pos Player Plays % Stats
OL Greg Robinson 72 100%
OL Joel Bitonio 72 100%
OL JC Tretter 72 100%
OL Eric Kush 72 100%
OL Justin McCray 72 100%

The Browns allowed 3 sacks and 3 quarterback hits. Those numbers don’t show the number of pressures, though, which there were plenty of.

Per PFF, Aaron Donald “terrorized” right guard Eric Kush:
Donald still terrorized the interior offensive line, most notably right guard Eric Kush. Donald did get the better of center JC Tretter and left guard Joel Bitonio a couple of times, but they played admirably well.

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
Legend
Legend
When Hubbard is healthy, maybe it’s time to go 6 OL and keep in McCray

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
V
Legend
Legend
V
Donald terrorized Kush? I thought he terrorized Bitonio.

Donald terrorizes everyone, so I'm not knocking Bitonio. However, most of Donald's plays came against him rather than Kush.

T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
Donald terrorized Kush? I thought he terrorized Bitonio.

Donald terrorizes everyone, so I'm not knocking Bitonio. However, most of Donald's plays came against him rather than Kush.

Now I'll admit I missed a few plays...But Kush looked good for a majority of the first half (considering Donald was lined up over him) Kush did poor on the two screens we ran out to Chubb...that stuck out...I think he gave up a couple pressures though, I'm thinking Brockers came in? 4

I know the second half, I think they started lining up Donald over Bitonio and Donald had better luck there...I know he got his sack on Bitonio, then Bitonio gave up a pressure to him...As I never see Bitonio have that much issues.

Imho our line didn't look terrible considering whom we were playing.

Legend
Legend
Yeah, i noticed they lined up donald all over ... even on the outside (smart by them given our tackles)

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
j/c, the TE position has to be the weakest group of the team.

[Linked Image]

FL_Dawg #1668586 09/24/19 05:08 PM
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: FL_Dawg
j/c, the TE position has to be the weakest group of the team.
I’d agree ... TE and OT

DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2019 NFL Season Looking Back: Browns 13 Rams 20 Snap Counts

Link Copied to Clipboard