Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1669189 09/26/19 09:41 PM
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Man, I got epidurals in L3 and L4 today, and I feel like total crap. I have had these done a number of times before and didn't have as much weakness and difficulty as I have with these. I sure hope it clears up pretty quick.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
L
Legend
Legend
L
Walk it off, put some mud on it. wink

Just kidding, get well soon.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Thanks. laugh

Hopefully.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

Legend
Legend
That’s a rough one ... my father is laid up for a day or two after ... but the pain subsides

Get well!

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
Legend
No more epidurals for me EVER.

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
Legend
Legend
Hope it works out for ya and you feel better soon.

A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives.
– Jackie Robinson
Legend
Legend
Damn, back pain sucks. Get better soon.

Anybody go to a chiro?

I went to a chiro a few months back because I had coccyx pain (which lasted for 6+ months). While reviewing my x-rays, he noticed my spine was straight and said I'm standing/sitting wrong. I went for about 6-7 weeks and felt better (I already hit my deductible so it was all free). I'm wondering though, did I feel better because they were fixing me or because I'd get 45-min massages each time. Not sure.

Oh well, feel better.

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
D
Legend
Legend
D
I had lumbar epidural shots twice a few years ago. The first one helped the pain for about 4-5 days and the second helped for maybe 1 day, which was when I decided to go ahead with the spinal fusion surgery (L2-L5).

My reason for posting though, was to say I never had any adverse symptoms from the shots, and that maybe you should check in with your doctor if they are ongoing. Good luck and feel better soon.

Dave #1669314 09/27/19 10:24 AM
Legend
Legend
Did the surgery turn out a success? Do you feel it was way worth it?

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
OP Offline
Legend

Thanks guys.

I have tried almost everything except having needles stuck all over, and surgery.

Legend
Legend
I've had huge success with "needles stuck all over" bro. Just this year - screwed my back up on Mother's Day at the restaurant... lingered til we moved in June. Moving furniture up steps did me in, could barely stand up for almost a week. Three acupuncture sessions in five days and not a tinge of pain since that day.

Fourth time it saved my butt.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
FATE #1669335 09/27/19 11:10 AM
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Maybe I'll try it .... I don't know.

I have structural issues with my back, and don't know if they would do anything. (plus, on my insurance, while some acupuncture is covered, the initial visit is not .... which seems stupid to me)

D
Legend
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life
Did the surgery turn out a success? Do you feel it was way worth it?

In terms of pain relief, it was worth it, because the sciatic pain was crippling. There was really no choice about having it because none of the other options (PT, drugs, epidurals) worked and the diagnosis was that it was a degenerative disk issue, meaning it would get worse if not corrected. So while the surgery alleviated the pain - and that's a huge benefit - I would rather I hadn't needed it, because the (2) titanium rods attached to my spine have taken away a lot of my flexibility and the loss of core strength due to inactivity before the surgery and after it has taken a toll on my physical abilities and stamina. But at least I can sleep at night. I keep trying to work on the core strength, but its a struggle.

Legend
Legend
Yeah, the insurance thing is dumb. I have my c2 and c3 fused, probably since birth. Every few years I'll wake up and not be able to move my head, severe pain. Tried everything and just suffered for a week or two each time... til I tried acupuncture. Got a guy in Warren, hit me up if you need info.

A
Legend
Legend
A
Wife is having back issues. Had been going to the chiro. Didn't work. Finally went to our doc. hoping (not WANTING) to get an mri. He said no - insurance says you have to go to physical therapy first.

So, she did that. After the second visit the pt said "I'm pretty sure I'm not going to be able to help you. No sense coming back."

Wife told the chiro that - he said "Have you tried acupuncture?" She hadn't, so, she's had 1 session so far with an acupuncurist. Nothing yet.

O
Legend
Legend
O
Ytown, my wife had a spinal tap several years back and had to go back in for a 'blood patch' to seal the hole and stop spinal fluid leaking. Epidurals puncture the same area, so it would make sense that could happen there too. Her symptoms were exactly like you described. She was weak, felt horrible, and had a massive headache.

Last edited by OldColdDawg; 09/27/19 06:10 PM.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
I feel slightly better this evening, so hopefully it's just that I'm getting old. lol

Legend
Legend
Getting rofl rofl rofl

F
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
F
My lower back has been killing me off and on for about 3 years. They think it is the psyatic nerve, the last 3 weeks in pain from the time I get up to going back to bed. It was only hurting on the right side, yesterday it quit hurting, wouldn’t you know it on the way to work it started hurting in the middle to the left side. It really hurts standing up, walk hunched over for at least a minute. Nothing seems to help.

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
It's amazing how back pain can completely destroy a person's ability to do much of anything. I hope you feel better. You can try ice, heat, rest, aspirin, stretching, core exercises, (if you can do them) and even get a TENS unit from eBay. (but don't pay more than $25-$30 for one)

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Starting 2004 I had epidurals/spinal nerve root blocks every 4 months till 2008-ish. Had "failed" back surg(L3 & L4) in 2003. To fix it they'd have to insert all the rods/pins, etc and have em fused together.

Not this guy. Not a chance. Back surg? Never again.

Over the years the pain has subsided to a point. It'll go, on a 1 to 10, from a 2 to 6, depending on......, etc, etc.

Let this sink in..... On 12-31-23 it be will 123123.
On the flip side, you can tune a piano but you can't tune-a-fish.

Legend
Legend
Hope you are better, Y-town. Just saw this (sorry for being tardy to this party).

Do you get this done regularly, or have you just been bad lucky. Hope you are feeling better by now.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Thank you,

I have had (probably, though not an exact count) 4 series of epidurals/blocks, with a total of 12 or 13 injections total.

Doctors always think they'll help, but only the 1st one, that knocked out the worst of the sciatic pain, really did anything. For back pain, they have been largely ineffective.

Legend
Legend
4323 Market St, Boardman, OH 44512

A
Legend
Legend
A
My wife has been having back pain for the last 8 months or so. Just when she moves certain ways.

She went to the doctor, has been going to a chiro, he even suggested acupuncture. Nothing worked, Physical therapy as well. Nothing.

The chiro finally ordered an MRI. Lo and behold, against our best hopes, turns out she has a fractured L1 disc, with a bone chip that, upon certain movements, hits her spinal nerve and causes severe pain. Not all the time, just when she moves in a certain way.....or gets out of bed, or tries to bend over.

It wasn't found earlier, apparently, because she's never had shooting pain going down her leg.

Well, after the mri, the surgeon in Toledo said "first we need you to do p.t." Wife told him she HAD done that, and even the p.t. told her "I can't help you."

So now, she has to go to a pain management doctor for at least 3 sessions. Get an epidural. Cool. Her disc is broke..........what is pain management going to do for that????

"After at least 3 sessions with pain management doctor, we my do surgery to remove the bone splinter that is causing the problem, OR, we may fuse your spine. If we do that, you may be off work 3-5 months."

Happy Holiday's Arch..............daughter's surgery, wife's issues and probable surgery, her missing work, me heading into a slow time for my work. It'll be great fun.

We'll make it though.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Sometimes life slaps you up side the head and it sucks. Sorry to hear this arch. Best wishes to you all and I hope things work out for the best.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Rough to hear. Hope it gets better for everybody and the wife especially. Sometimes it seems the biggest medical miracle of modern medicine is getting somebody to listen too you, really listen. The second is surviving stupid insurance protocols. The third is actually being helped. Cynical, but in our house it has seemed to be so.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Legend
Legend
You know what they say -- when life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade... and try to find someone whose life has given them vodka.

Most important is getting the girls in good working order, the rest will take care of itself. Hoping the best for their health. wink

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
I hope that you and your family come through your difficulties well. Pain can be so debilitating, and others have said, getting a doctor who cares is often the most difficult thing.

P
2nd String
2nd String
P
Had a friend before he passed who had to go thru this. Drove him to Pain Clinic on 224 to get his by bimonthly shots,he'd be in pain when doc would hit the nerve and he'd come out to waiting like a board waving in the wind feeling more pain then before shot,most times when med,moraphine and lidocaine mix,worked he'd be good for maybe 3 days then here we go again like you going thru. Prayers for you my friend.

I bleed Seal Brown,Burnt Oranage and White w/Chrome. It's a proud honored birthright and family tradition.
V
Legend
Legend
V
j/c:

Not trying to diminish what others are going through because I know it is very real. Instead, I am making this post for the younger folks who might be reading this thread.

If you have some back pain--and chances are that you will--do not freak out and buy a back brace and limit your activity. I've had back issues, but I researched this to the extremes, and the worst thing you can do is to become more inactive and rely on a brace.Instead, follow some of these guidelines that come from experts:

--Lose weight
--Do back exercises. There are a ton of them online. I bookmarked 4 different videos on YouTube and I rotate exercises daily.
--Wear the back brace only as a supplement and not as a something that will provide a cure. I decided against a back brace. That does not mean you should, but exercise and weight loss is huge.
--Do not become less active.
--Limit the time you spend sitting in an upright position, such as the time you spend on your computer.

Last edited by Versatile Dog; 10/23/19 11:56 PM.
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
And if your back pain persists, see your doctor.

DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Everything Else... Epidirals (Spine)

Link Copied to Clipboard