Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1673519 10/06/19 07:35 AM
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
I found this piece on SI's web sight there is quite a bit their leaving out like the SF secondary is a bit banged up and will be starting a Second year player at CB opposite of Sherman.

Speaking of Sherman he doesn't have catch up speed to hang with Landry or Beckham. That means he will be well off the line, and they will need to roll in safety help, couple that with Sherman's poor tackling well you get the picture.

I look for the Browns to do a lot of max protect and to exploit SF on the outside. Couple that with a healthy dose of Chubb the 9ers are in for a long night IMO

49ers' pass rushers should have a field day against the shaky offensive line of the Browns
Jose Luis Sanchez III

The offensive line of the Cleveland Browns is average at best, despite performing well in week four. It should be fairly easy for the 49ers' pass rushers to make their presence felt in this game.

Through their first three games of the season, the defense of the San Francisco 49ers have been a wrecking crew. Specifically when it comes to the pass rushers of the defense who have just been dominating the opposition in each and every game. There is just too much talent to account for if you're the opposing offense.

Now that they are back from their nice long bye week, the pass rushers of the 49ers are ready to feast again. Their prey this week will be the Cleveland Browns who are coming off their most complete game against the Baltimore Ravens. What made things easy for the Browns was the fact that Baker Mayfield wasn't being pressured on almost every drop back.

It also helps that they finally decided to run the ball more with Nick Chubb to keep the defense off-balance. Mayfield was only sacked once and had plenty of snaps where he was kept clean enough to deliver throws. However, Mayfield was only protected well because the Ravens do not have great overall talent on their defensive line.

In week three against the Los Angeles Rams, the Browns' offensive line was getting abused. There were even times where Baker Mayfield would run into sacks himself because he doesn't trust the protection. The same happened in week one against the Tennesse Titans who also have a talented defense. Whenever this offensive line goes against above average talent, they get abused.

That is why the 49ers' pass rushers should have a field day against the shaky offensive line of the Browns. It could get ugly real quick for the Baker Mayfield and the offense. The 49ers' pass rushers have been an elite force in every game. They even made a talented Pittsburgh Steelers' offensive line look pedestrian. Imagine what they will do to a low tier offensive line like the Cleveland Browns.

It is going to cause Mayfield to abandon the pocket early and run into sacks. He may be able to avoid certain pass rushers like Nick Bosa since he struggles to break down and finish the sack. Nevertheless, Mayfield will be rattled if the pressure is constantly there. To make things worse for him, Jarvis Landry may be inactive for this game after coming off a career high game in receiving yards. The connection between the two last week was phenomenal.

Now that his security blanket isn't there, all the attention can be focused on Odell Beckham Jr. who has struggled to connect with Mayfield. It'll be interesting to see what the Browns will do to try and slow down the pass rush of the 49ers. Once again, there is just too much talent to account for. The Browns' offensive line is going to have to win their matchups from time to time, which I have a hard time seeing.

I would expect someone on the defensive line of the 49ers to get their first multi-sack game of the season. The offensive line of the Browns is that bad and really doesn't require anything special to scheme up. From top to bottom, the 49ers' defensive line should be able to dominate in this game and bottle up the Browns' offense. What better time to dominate in a game than in primetime with the entire nation watching. Monday night will be the San Francisco 49ers opportunity to announce to everyone that they are the real deal.

LINK https://www.si.com/nfl/49ers/gameday/49e...ine-of-the-bro/

BTTB

AKA Upbeat Dawg

Can't believe I am in a group that is comprised of the best NOT just fans but people on the planet.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I think I read somewhere that SI just let go of a bunch of their writers. If this is one that was kept, it definitely appears as if the fact they can pay him less played a role.

Sports Illustrated used to be my go to, but I've practically phased it out over the last decade. Got to the point where it felt like it was more op eds and pop culture pieces than sports coverage.

Boston Globe article on SI's change in ownership/plans

NPR article on SI's massive layoffs and journalist rebellion

Last edited by Bull_Dawg; 10/06/19 08:12 AM. Reason: Added links

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
Legend
Legend
Run it down their throats. Use a two back set to pick up the blitzing. Get rid of the ball fast. One two sec ...and dump it off to the outlets when you can’t burn em deep.

Success at that and we walk away with a win.

A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives.
– Jackie Robinson
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
That article starts out calling our OL shaky...then shifts to calling it bad. We can debate here how well they've played thus far...but NO ONE has used the words shaky or bad to describe our OL. Game 1 after the ejection...maybe then...but that take is incredibly bad.

O
Legend
Legend
O
It reads like someone who hasn't watched the Browns play at all.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Legend
Legend
Let'em think that.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
R
Legend
Legend
R
Originally Posted By: oobernoober

It reads like a high school kid, super fan wrote it.

Legend
Legend
Embrace this article. Piece of hogwash IMO.

This entire piece could have been written in late July or thereabouts. We are able to match up fairly well or better in a number of spots. This guy will get better with his second journalism class next year. Not very good. Homeristic. Let's play this one out. Because, dawgs, if it doesn't go down the way the silly guy says, especially if we call a smart game, The Sans could have a long night. We might need a break to be in it, but this is doable.

Might as well win this one too. brownie

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Legend
Legend
What's a Sanchez? A clone? There are three of 'em? A hundred eleven?

This kids writing level is like for a junior high piece. And doesn't seem to know better or much football.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Legend
Legend
They should be riding high ... 3-0 and coming off a bye with a prime time game against a perennial loser upcoming.

It’s up to us to come out and prove them wrong ... we have more talent, so we can do it

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
I hope we don't overlook this game. On paper we have the team that should go into Santa Clara and come out victorious. I don't see how SF can cover our WRs. I do think our OL is better than are credited, but SF have a nasty DLine. I hope Baker gets out of the Bay uninjured. Our defense looks like it should have a field day with their line considering Staley is out. So, as the Niners fans & media focus on our "shaky line" they may want to focus on their own issues and look at our Dline because Myles, Sheldon, Larry & Olivier are in town.

I think this is a must win/Nationwide statement game, we can stack a couple W's and then go into next week to face the Seahawks who are going to test us. SF did us a favor and beat both Pitt and Cincy...after we beat them we need to do them a solid and return the favor and beat the 'hawks.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A couple things. This says OBJ is Bakers only receiver available.
Well Landry, Higgins and Callaway are back. And How about talking about the Browns D. Do they think San Frans Oline is going to have a walk in the Park?

Joe Thomas #73
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: BADdog
A couple things. This says OBJ is Bakers only receiver available.
Well Landry, Higgins and Callaway are back. And How about talking about the Browns D. Do they think San Frans Oline is going to have a walk in the Park?
Yeah it’s either clearly biased or uninformed about our team

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
D
Legend
Legend
D
THRILLED the hawks beat the lambs .... THRILLED ....

Man did they hose up with the scheduling ... this is some real BS ...

We go to Frisco on a Monday night with them coming off a bye ... witch is BS ... have them come to us at least ...

THEN we follow that up with a trip home from the West Coast after a Monday night game to face a seahags team coming off a MINI BYE ...

What a bunch of BS this is .... thumbsdown ..

Oh well boys ... play the hand u were dealt and play it WELL!!!

LETS GOOOOOOOooooooooooo thumbsup

Legend
Legend
That was a painfully bad article.
It was more like reading a rant from a casual fan on their message boards than something written by someone that presumably earns a living with the written word.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
I agree that the 49ers defense is pretty good. However almost everything else was wrong.

Our O-line isn't bad and it isn't shaky, "nor average at best."

Landry isn't Baker's "security blanket."

Let them focus on OBJ. That worked wonders for Baltimore.

I think it will be a tough game to win but not because we suck.

S
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
S

It reads like someone who is arrogant 49ers fan

" Now here you are running these dirty old streets tattoo on your neck fake gold on your teeth, got the hood here snowed but you can't fool me, we both know who you are"
slick #1673885 10/06/19 08:25 PM
O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted By: slick

It reads like someone who is arrogant 49ers fan

Does Zegura have a cousin that covers the 9ers?

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Legend
Legend
I'll refrain from even discussing the content of this, um.... 'article.'

Instead, I'll focus on the basic quality.
WTF?

We routinely read better product from our fellow Dawgs at this fansite. And all of us have day jobs in other disciplines.

This was sad. It's the kind of work that would get sent back from my HS teachers.

Sorry to drive the thread down this cul de sac of frustration, but the term 'journalist' used to mean something.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled broadcast.

"too many notes, not enough music-"
2nd String
2nd String
jc

I somehow have a subscription for SI that I do not recall asking for. Probably some perk from something else that I signed up for, but anyway it goes straight to the recycle bin when it comes in. The only one I kept was the cover with OBJ and Landry on the cover saying the Browns are Back. Can't stand their writers.

The Constitution shall never be construe to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms. – Samuel Adams
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2019 NFL Season Looking Back: Browns 3 49ers 31 The View from SF

Link Copied to Clipboard