Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
I just wached it, and I am looking forward to opinions on it. Plus discussion about the story. Also I understand it's on Netflix and not all of us are excited as I was today and watched it as soon I got off work. So I'll keep spoilers at minimum.

For now I'll just keep it to how everyone thought it was? Did it live up to your expectations or did it fall short? This question is especially for Punchsmack who I do recall is the boards biggest Breaking Bad fan.

For me personally I thought it lived up to everything I thought it would be, except for one part which seemed a bit off key from the show which I don't want to get into detail about until other fans have watched.

R
Legend
Legend
R
Haven't watched yet but plan to.

I rank Breaking Bad as the best show of all time.

Legend
Legend

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
Legend
Legend
Ah dang RIP Robert

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
Legend
Yeah, watched it yesterday. I’m not sure if I can comment on it living up to the hype because I’m not sure how high the hype got. Meaning, I knew it was coming out and saw the trailer, but it was mostly quiet other than that.

When I first heard about it, I thought they should probably leave it alone. BB was a masterpiece and couldn’t/shouldn’t be continued. I felt the same about when hearing about the then upcoming Better Call Saul show, but that’s proven to be its own very good show. It feels like Breaking Bad with the same writers, but in a prequel form and it hasn’t changed BB. I’ve really liked it (Jimmy and his brother was great TV).

SPOILERS!

As for El Camino, it was good. I don’t know if I can say very good yet, but it was good. The reunion with Badger and Skinny Pete was great, seeing Joe was cool, the way they flip the cars was smart and Jesse going for the cash was his plan all along. The parts I didn’t like was Jesse giving up to those fake cops right after seeing him give in to Todd when he could have shot him. Killing Todd would have been more than justified, but killing two cops, which he thought at the time, wouldn’t have been. However, after the journey he’s been on, I just don’t see him giving in like that. I don’t know what else he could have done, but giving up means he spends the rest of his life in a jail cell known as a rat (those nazi guys had to have talked to others).

Anyway, that ended up working out and lead me into my next mini issue, the vacuum cleaner wouldn’t have cared about the $1,800 after changing the price from $125k to $250k. It felt dishonest in a way. Like, if he had said up front the heat on Jesse was on high and he needed $250k and Jesse had $170, sure, but $1,800? Minor gripe, but I guess that’s the plot point that forces Jesse back out in the world.

The move to get his parents out of the house was cool but it felt odd that his plan was to go back to the fake cops to ask for money. No way he thought they’d give it to him, so in effect, he planned on killing them, which is out of character for Jesse. That’s why it’s hard to buy him giving up earlier only to go on the offensive later on. Not to mention shooting a concealed revolver at your hip with your left hand and hitting the target multiple times.

Maybe these are are small nitpicks and I’m not used to doing that with BB, but maybe I’ll need to watch it again. Overall, good but I’m not sure it had to be made.

I’d be interested if your the one part you mentioned.

And that sucks about Robert. RIP.

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
Legend
Legend
I thought it was an excellent way to pay homage to Jesse's character. I've read a few complaints about it being a bit slow. It moved about the same pace any BB episodes would, I think the viewer was anxious to see as much as many resolutions as possible. It was great to see many of the characters again. I miss BB. I feel like it set the bar so high that I will never enjoy another series nearly as much. My wife asked how I rated it today, I said as a stand alone movie I would give it about a 7.5... looking at it as the final two episodes of BB, I would give it a 9. I too was worried that it might fall flat and that BB was to perfect to be screwed with. They did a fantastic job with this movie.

SOFT SPOILERS
About the time I was saying "alright, enough with Todd", we were moving deeper into the script. I would have traded in a few of the "Todd scenes" for a flip over to Skinny P's world and what was going on with the police in their pursuit of Jesse. In the end, Jesse was one of the good guys (although there really are no good guys, as told so eloquently in the flash back with Mike), and I think we all hoped that something good would happen for him in the end.

MAD SPOILERS YO
Jesse becomes a walking game of Russian Roulette. He's already seen the worst life has to offer and has no problem, at this point, walking the fine line between life and death. That's why he stood in the house, taking what was his, with a gun to his head. That's why he walked back in and kindly asked for the money. They each walked away with 250k, he asked for $1800. Just as he told them he had no interest in "killing cops" when he thought they were; he also told them he wasn't there to rob them -- he was simply asking kindly. He gave those fools the opportunity to do what's right, they're dead because they chose what's wrong. He's at peace with that. Jesse has principles, as does "the guy", that's why Jesse had no argument for the second 125k, and once he knew the dude was serious, the final $1800.

Great job with the flashback scenes. Both scenes, with Mike and Walter, were really well done. They gave us one last glimpse of the two incredible characters.

I loved that we saw Skinny P lay down the plot to get Jesse out. He was always the "follower", he took the bull by it's horns and become the leader... And in the end he told Jesse how much he admired him. I liked that Badger started to count the wad and immediately knew he should just hand it all to Jesse.

One question. Didn't we see a preview with Skinny being interrogated by police? I wonder what happened to that...

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: FATE
One question. Didn't we see a preview with Skinny being interrogated by police? I wonder what happened to that...

Right, I wanted to see that in more detail, but I guess it was simply teaser material.

In thinking about it, the real police were never a threat. Sure, they were on the way to the El Camino, but were this faceless and passive thing the whole movie.

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Quote:

The move to get his parents out of the house was cool but it felt odd that his plan was to go back to the fake cops to ask for money. No way he thought they’d give it to him, so in effect, he planned on killing them, which is out of character for Jesse. That’s why it’s hard to buy him giving up earlier only to go on the offensive later on. Not to mention shooting a concealed revolver at your hip with your left hand and hitting the target multiple times.

Yeah that's the part I was talking about that felt out of character for Breaking Bad. I can"t really pin point why it felt weird, but a wild west draw just didn't feel like something that would have ever happened in the show.

Quote:
The parts I didn’t like was Jesse giving up to those fake cops right after seeing him give in to Todd when he could have shot him. Killing Todd would have been more than justified, but killing two cops, which he thought at the time, wouldn’t have been. However, after the journey he’s been on, I just don’t see him giving in like that. I don’t know what else he could have done, but giving up means he spends the rest of his life in a jail cell known as a rat (those nazi guys had to have talked to others).

I agree with all that, I especially couldn't stand Todd. (the actor did a great job portraying him)

My take is Jesse passed on killing him because Todd warned him if he tried to escape they would go after Brock (I think that was the kids name) and kill him. So I guess he was thinking if he killed Todd and escaped the neo nazi guys would go after the kid? Maybe I'm wrong but that's why I thought he passed on killing Todd.

Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Quote:
About the time I was saying "alright, enough with Todd", we were moving deeper into the script. I would have traded in a few of the "Todd scenes" for a flip over to Skinny P's world and what was going on with the police in their pursuit of Jesse. In the end, Jesse was one of the good guys (although there really are no good guys, as told so eloquently in the flash back with Mike), and I think we all hoped that something good would happen for him in the end

Good point, there should have been more Skinny P. I do love flashbacks though so I sort of got wrapped up in them and forgot all about Skinny p and Badger. Would have been nice to see them more now that you mentioned it.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Psydeffect
Quote:
The parts I didn’t like was Jesse giving up to those fake cops right after seeing him give in to Todd when he could have shot him. Killing Todd would have been more than justified, but killing two cops, which he thought at the time, wouldn’t have been. However, after the journey he’s been on, I just don’t see him giving in like that. I don’t know what else he could have done, but giving up means he spends the rest of his life in a jail cell known as a rat (those nazi guys had to have talked to others).

I agree with all that, I especially couldn't stand Todd. (the actor did a great job portraying him)

My take is Jesse passed on killing him because Todd warned him if he tried to escape they would go after Brock (I think that was the kids name) and kill him. So I guess he was thinking if he killed Todd and escaped the neo nazi guys would go after the kid? Maybe I'm wrong but that's why I thought he passed on killing Todd.

I think it was more about how much they killed Jesse's will. When you're that deep, everything you see is a dead end. You don't trust your mind and free will doesn't exist. Even in that perfect situation, he could have thought the gun was unloaded and it was a trick. Better to keep going along than risk more torture.

Sure, the threat of Brock was there and they did end the show with him mailing Brock, but had Jesse blown Todd away, he could have left town and there would have been no reason for the Nazi crew to expose themselves to kill Brock, a son of a recently murdered mother, if they could have gotten to him at all. They had all the cash they could ask for, Jesse wouldn't have been the type to come back for them like Walt and he already tried going to the cops once, no way he was doing that again.

Maybe that's why Jesse gave in to the fake cops, because he was a broken man. So I could see him standing up to them just enough to accept a 1/3 of the money, which should have been all his. However, like you said, how does he then go the next emotional leap to hide a 2nd gun to use murder them over $1,800 (he didn't know it was going to be a duel, but he did plan on using it)? Seemed like a bit of a stretch for a broken dude that was deep down a sweet heart kid.

I liked it overall, but I don't know if they played Jesse out right.

[Linked Image]

R
Legend
Legend
R
As soon as he passed on killing Todd the movie was over for me. Made no sense on any level. I wish they would have just not done that scene.

O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted By: Rishuz
As soon as he passed on killing Todd the movie was over for me. Made no sense on any level. I wish they would have just not done that scene.

For me, the scene sucked because he found the gun. When he asked Jesse to get smokes, I had an inkling something was going to happen, but when he found the gun, I knew he wouldn't do anything with it. That was the annoying part.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
R
Legend
Legend
R
Not only did he have a gun, he had a car and a huge headstart from the rest of that clan. And it was completely counterintuitive to him always looking for ways out.

The movie was just ok to begin with. That scene completely ruined it. I lost a lot of interest after that.

DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Everything Else... El Camino: A Breaking Bad Movie (WARNING IF YOU HAVEN'T WATCH YET THERE MIGHT BE SPOILERS)

Link Copied to Clipboard