Print Thread
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
Man, Jimmy Graham has digressed.

What was he talking about before?

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater

Just because you own the joint doesn't mean you get to be so regressive.

grin

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
V
Legend
Legend
V
I know I already said this, but I do think all the new rules that have added to officials making so many subjective calls and also having more rules to enforce is the biggest problem. Also, there has been a significant turnover in the officiating ranks recently.

I just can't get behind the idea of the NFL telling officials to favor or punish certain teams. The NFL is making tons of money and can you imagine what that kind of information would do to the league if it ever got out. And let's face it....it would get out. People talk. Especially those who have lost their jobs or retired.

Dawgs4Life #1678993 10/15/19 01:52 PM
Legend
Legend
Reason #1 why Baltimore's approach is not sustainable:

Lamar Jackson (460) currently has more Rushing Yards than Mark Ingram (424).

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Reason #1 why Baltimore's approach is not sustainable:

Lamar Jackson (460) currently has more Rushing Yards than Mark Ingram (424).

I thought I heard that their plan was to not do that? Then again, running is the one thing he does well.

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Yep, a lot of the newer rules are so subjective. They are also hard to interpret due to the speed of the game. I wonder if the officials are thinking too much?

I don't think the NFL favoring some teams over others is the reason for poor officiating. Too much money is involved to purposely taint games.

My biggest problem with a lot of the newer rules is the simple fact that they expect grown men, playing a violent game, moving at full speed... to basically defy the laws of physics.

If you are a defensive end and get past your blocker and have a free rush at the QB... you can:

- Remain upright and go in high, odds are your helmet hits their helmet.. flag
- Drop your helmet to avoid helmet to helmet, that's spearing.. flag
- Drop your head to the side and go shoulder square into them, driving them to the ground with you on top of them.. flag
- Go low from the waist down.. flag
- Grab them from behind and pull them down.. flag

And all of that is predicated on the fact that whatever you decide to do.... the QB isn't going to move a fraction of a second before you initiate contact because if he does... flag.

And I will not say that the NFL picks winners and losers by officiating.. but it sure does seem like they give benefit of the doubt to teams that are down to make games close.. makes for better viewing and more excitement.. sometimes that other team just happens to win.

yebat' Putin
Dawgs4Life #1679071 10/15/19 04:19 PM
Legend
Legend
I don't know about bias. I try to be a reasonable man and believe that kind of garbage couldn't infiltrate games, but sometimes it seems too unbelievable to not hold some water. Sometimes, I seriously think we will always be a black-sheep to the fraternity of refs because of the snowballs and batteries.

I think the subjectivity that Vers mentioned goes deeper into what we're seeing than people may think. We're asking for deep analysis of things that happen too fast for a human to compute. The actual task at hand suffers at a result.

I also think all the whining from the players adds another layer of junk on top of an already difficult job. Example, player A complains of a block from Jarvis... official sees another that may be marginal but doesn't throw a flag... Then he sees a player "flail" after a good block but his mind was already made up because he's in "correction mode". The result - an egregious call on a textbook block. NOT the way the game is supposed to be officiated.

One of my biggest complaints is the result of plays that are reviewed. If you choose to cross the line past the human element and use technology, we're all now seeing the same thing, i.e... you can no longer blame the speed of the game. At that point it seems like the powers-that-be are more concerned with stepping on toes than getting the call right. It's infuriating.

Also, just because it has had me pulling my hair out... Why, when there is a spot-of-ball review, is the result "the player did not cross the line to gain", and then the ball is returned to a place that can be up to a yard short of what the freaking replay revealed? You may argue that Landry didn't cross the goal line (if you're blind), but shouldn't the ball be placed at the six-inch line and not between the 1 and 2 yard line?? Drives me batty.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
DCDAWGFAN #1679213 10/15/19 08:34 PM
V
Legend
Legend
V
Kudos to you for doing a great job of using the written word to make your point. That was an exceptional post!!!

V
Legend
Legend
V

I just saw this a little bit ago.

rofl blush

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2019 NFL Season Looking Back: Browns 28 Seahawks 32 Other Games

Link Copied to Clipboard