Print Thread
#1685408 10/31/19 05:58 PM
E
EveDawg Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
E

I feel the team has too much pressure on them, and they need to relax and let the game come to them. They are too tense.

That's just not on Baker, it's on everybody.

The few times I saw them play more relaxed, they played like the Browns of last year.

Denver is very beatable. If our D can stomp them early, it will take a lot of pressure off the O and they can calm down a bit.

What do you think needs to happen?

No Craps Given
Legend
Legend
Disciplined and balanced on offense.

Defense shouldn’t matter because they’re trash.

If we lose this game the season’s over

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
S
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
S
Keys to this game are discipline and controlling the time of possession. Run the ball to neutralize Miller's pass rush, and pound the ball like they did against NE.

"The Elf is killing the Curse"
Legend
Legend

Play a clean game.

Just for grins let's see what can happen with zero penalties and no turnovers

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Everybody needs to be more disciplined to include Freddie. No challenging plays because you hope the refs are smart enough to overturn a call based on a vague nuance in the rules.

I also think Baker just needs to let it rip a couple times. Take that deep shot and let the WR go get it like we saw with Callaway and Perriman last year.

"Hey, I'm a reasonable guy. But I've just experienced some very unreasonable things."
-Jack Burton

-It looks like the Harvard Boys know what they are doing after all.
Legend
Legend
Limit penalties.... coach better....

<><

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
They need to keep their heads in the game and out of their butts, without paralyzing themselves by thinking too much.

Simply: they just need to execute and eliminate the stupidity.

They cannot do anything about the few stupid calls from the Refs we get each game, but they CAN eliminate the rest and that will make up for a LOT.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

O
Legend
Legend
O
What does Denver have on D other than Von Miller?

Their D smothering our offense is the only thing I worry about...

which sucks, because our offense needs a cupcake D or two to get their mojo back. I feel they played 'meh' against a really good D (Patriots) but just couldn't get out of their own way, which got their heads out of the game.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Legend
Legend
Their DL is very stout, and they have a lockdown CB (albeit not as young as he used to be)

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
P
Legend
Legend
P
Cut down on Penalties and TO's Run Chubb to take pressure off Baker and put Pressure on their new QB ...

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
Legend
Legend

I will state the obvious: we can not lose this game.

This is a team that is struggling. They lost their starting qb. Are forced to play a guy who has not played an NFL game.

Their injury list is long. Guys missing. Others playing hurt. There is a lot going wrong in Denver.

Their defense will still be a test but this is a must win for the Browns.

Lose this game. The wheels come off. There can only be excuses and that will not do with the state of mind of the fan base and management.

I fear a lose will sink this team.

Legend
Legend
DO YOUR JOB. I feel like this team is beginning to embrace the "victim mentality". Victims of referees, victims of strange turnovers, just plain victims of circumstances beyond their control. "Woe is US" is a solidarity type thing on one hand, on the other -- it does a lot to mitigate personal responsibility. A team is a group of individuals, each individual has to be responsible for his part. NO MORE EXCUSES.

We have a defense that is built to play with a lead. Give it 14 points and it will beat you into submission. Go out there and score some points early and this is entirely different proposition.

Although we would have never guessed this eight weeks ago... This is a team that needs to RUN to set up the pass, not vice versa. I run the first 6-8 plays regardless of the defense. Nothing impressive about Denver's run defense.

Stop the chunk plays vs the run. Shut down their ground game and they are nearly hopeless.

"Callaway and Higgins... Earth to Callaway and Higgins."

Broncos have a stout DL... Quick reads / quick passes.

Cut out the senseless penalties. When they get called, don't throw your hands in the air like the world is out to get you - doesn't do a damn bit of good.

Lastly, something has to give with the entire play-calling process. Tired of seeing the team snap the ball with a second on the play clock after rushing out of the huddle. The end of the half debacle against NE was poor clock management, but get it straight -- it had nothing to do with whether Freddie can manage a clock and everything to do with getting the dumb call in:
Two minute warning, 2nd and 3
Run Chubb for no gain.
Huddle up and waste the whole clock calling a play.
Next play first down
Next play 10 yard sack
Next play false start
40 seconds left with a second and 25

One of these things was completely avoidable. You have to call two plays out of the 2:00 clock stoppage, the second with an option for if you are facing third down.

Not that hard. Let's get with the program. Getting a play in is no harder than playing checkers, you have to have two moves in mind depending on the outcome of the last. Hard for us to believe you can play chess, Freddie, when you have a hard time with checkers!

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
1. not overlook Denver - I think we did the Jets and that's why we didn't look so hot against them.

2. Understand where you are playing - Denver, CO is a tough place to play. For scientific reasons, and just in general. Especially for a team coming from the East Coast. Last time we traveled out that way, we laid an egg.

3. Penalties/Turnovers - Win these two battles, you win the game, IMO.

4. Don't think this kid playing QB is going to fold up on you. He is going to be amped and ready to play ball to get his shot on the field. Don't let him get ANY confidence.

5. Ball Control - Don't be too aggressive on offense. Dont be afraid to go down if getting tackled, don't be afraid to throw the ball away if getting rushed, don't be afraid to run out of bounds. Dont be afraid to dink and dunk. Denver SHOULDNT be able to score a lot of points on their own. So lets not give them chances by putting the ball on the ground, or letting their offense have opportunities they shouldn't because we go empty set on 3rd and 1 instead of running up the gut. Play smart, and live to run another play.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Keys to the Game?

Forfeit.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: willitevachange
[b]Last time we traveled out that way, we laid an egg.

What? We won the game with a Jabril Peppers sack. It was a great game.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted By: jfanent
Originally Posted By: willitevachange
[b]Last time we traveled out that way, we laid an egg.

What? We won the game with a Jabril Peppers sack. It was a great game.
I was talking about the west coast, not Denver. Last time we played out west, we laid an egg in SanFran. I didn't word it correctly, my bad.

Legend
Legend
Our offense has to drive and score. Maybe Hammer shows off his dropkicking skill.

Get the ball to big play folks quickly. Calling the rollout might help somewhat.

Kill penalties. Have someone not named FK call some plays. Help Baker exceed expectations.

Two takeaways and sacks would help.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
F
Rookie
Rookie
F
Show some heart and play smart. This one needs to be the start of a lengthy win streak. If not, you can forget about the accomplishment of any meaningful team goals from here on out this season.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Cut back on the penalties, and cut back on the turnovers.

Denver still has a fairly decent defense, and historically this is a place we don't do well. Other than that this game should be a win. And I emphasize should.

We have yet to play a game this year without committing a turnover. I think if we do that, we'll win, but that also is a big if.

FATE #1685725 11/02/19 10:25 AM
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: FATE

Tired of seeing the team snap the ball with a second on the play clock after rushing out of the huddle.

No flipping kidding. I mean the penalties and discipline and running the ball, the challenges, Freddie/Team being prepared .... all of that stuff is 'obvious' ... but man it's so frustrating to see this with our offense every dang snap.

Last edited by mgh888; 11/02/19 10:26 AM.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
R
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
R
Fire Freddy and let VER and GROSSI coach this one {actually joking about Grossi but serious about VERS}

J\C

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Forget the media, forget the first 7 games and play football correctly. Sadly, I dont think most of these guys can. A loss here and there should be some severe consequences.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: Riley01
Fire Freddy and let VER and GROSSI coach this one {actually joking about Grossi but serious about VERS}

J\C

Lol. Just have a PS4 on the sideline and set Madden to “auto-play” and run whatever it says. Can’t be worse than Kitchens’ plays.

myka #1685793 11/02/19 08:32 PM
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: myka
Originally Posted By: Riley01

J\C

Lol. Just have a PS4 on the sideline and set Madden to “auto-play” and run whatever it says. Can’t be worse than Kitchens’ plays.
brownie

Legend
Legend
Good point made here. I am older now, but I believe that once upon a time we ran some hurry up offense. We looked crisper in it, had fewer penalties, and some real success. We do lollygag around and take a good deal longer to run FKs play. A step further, we have more penalties on offense it seems. Look like a herd of sloths.

Want it crisper. Fond of saying, Control what you can control." I suggest "Fix what you can fix." As a trend, would you say we are better or worse now? I think that depends.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Keys to a win? Stop the TO's and cut way down on the penalties. Let's start there.

G
2nd String
2nd String
G
Key to the game is discipline. The team has none and this must start with Kitchens.
I saw this and commented on it in preseason. Players and Freddie were talking too much in the media about everything. They managed to put a giant bullseye on their backs while failing to prepare to play to their abilities.
Now they have backed their self in a corner where they have to win at least 8 of the next 9 games to make the playoffs.
Freddie wanted to see how his team handled adversity but hasn't prepared them to do so.
They should beat Denver today but I see a team that cannot handle the type of pressure it will be under to make a playoff run.

I just want a winner. We need players who can be part of the solution not part of the problem.
P
Legend
Legend
P
If we can stop Denver's run game we will win going away ...

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
Keys:
For Freddie.
Don't get cute, just pound Chubb, play action, and get OBJ and Landry the ball on quick timing pass plays. Challenge Denver deep with Calloway

For Wilks:
Blitz the heck outta them
Stop the run

For the team:
Be patient. Play focused. Breathe, Have fun.

Legend
Legend
Good list bluecollar

Legend
Legend
Goodish list, bluecollar.

Uhhh, ummm, I lost my keys somewhere today. . . .

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
You mean Freddie lost his keys right?

DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2019 NFL Season Looking Back: Browns 19 Broncos 24 Keys to the Game

Link Copied to Clipboard