Next Thread
Print Thread
#1688622 11/06/19 11:20 AM
B
2nd String
OP Offline
2nd String
B
I have noticed multiple times in nearly every game, OBJ having to be directly to where to line up. Not just a particular spot but what side of the field to line up on. He goes right, Baker grabs him and sends him to the left.

Is this OBJ not knowing where he is going or some kind of pre-snap read. If pre-snap read, its a little bizarre, I don't see that with other teams. Thoughts?

Baker_Dawg #1688626 11/06/19 11:26 AM
O
Legend
Legend
O
Woah...

I've been making a point to try to watch alignment and personnel more this season, and I haven't noticed that. I gotta try and see if I can confirm that.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Baker_Dawg #1688635 11/06/19 11:56 AM
Legend
Legend
It’s what cost us our final timeout

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Baker_Dawg #1688639 11/06/19 12:12 PM
B
2nd String
OP Offline
2nd String
B
I am 100% sure it is happening multiple times a game. Just did not know if it was by design, which seemed weird if so.

If our star receiver does not know where to line up that is truly sad. Kitchens is making HJ look like a mastermind.

Dawgs4Life #1688673 11/06/19 01:34 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life

I thought it was because Landry called a timeout because OBJ was on the sideline and Landry was upset and called the timeout.

rumors were that it was probably because FK kept Chubb on the sideline on 3rd and 4th down. So, Landry took matters into his own hands to get OBJ back on the field.

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: superbowldogg

I thought it was because Landry called a timeout because OBJ was on the sideline and Landry was upset and called the timeout.

rumors were that it was probably because FK kept Chubb on the sideline on 3rd and 4th down. So, Landry took matters into his own hands to get OBJ back on the field.
I think it was because OBJ wasn’t lined up correctly and we would have received an illegal formation penalty had we snapped it

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
Legend

Landry called our second timeout on 3rd down, not sure why but your reason is as good as any.

Our third and final timeout, on 4th down, was because we got to the LOS with about :05 left on the play clock.

yebat' Putin
Dawgs4Life #1688787 11/06/19 10:09 PM
M
Legend
Legend
M

I think it was because OBJ wasn’t lined up correctly and we would have received an illegal formation penalty had we snapped it

D4L is correct. Beckham was not lined up properly and the play clock was running down and Jarvis did not want an illegal formation penalty called...

From Tim Bielik of Cleveland.com (see link below with video evidence)...

Second timeout: Jarvis Landry calls it as play clock winds down

The Browns were driving to get back within one score of the Broncos early in the fourth quarter. But moments before Mayfield took the snap on a third-and-7 from Denver’s 19, Landry took a timeout late on the play clock.

Landry made an astute observation that Beckham was covering up the tight end.

Beckham ended up being the intended receiver when they eventually ran the play. He drew a pass interference from cornerback Chris Harris Jr., giving the Browns a first down inside the Denver 10.

Not lining up correctly goes back to paying attention to details, and doing so correctly on every play. With the play clock running down so late, Beckham didn’t have enough time to get himself lined up properly.

https://www.cleveland.com/browns/2019/11...nst-denver.html

Milk Man #1688788 11/06/19 10:13 PM
Legend
Legend
I wonder if this doesn't have a lot to do with blowing off OTAs? Everyone insisted that OBJ would be just fine .... but Freddie did make note of the fact that the offense was being installed in the OTAs.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Baker_Dawg #1688793 11/06/19 11:06 PM
B
2nd String
OP Offline
2nd String
B
Enjoying the discussion about this particular play. But I am seeing multiple times in every game, Baker redirecting OBJ.

Listen to some of Baker's recent interviews, he keeps referring to "people" not being in the "right places" I am starting to believe the wideouts, especially OBJ don't even know where to line up!!!

This is really unbelievable. I can understand outmatched olinemen holding, or dlineman with hands to the face penalties, or pass interference on a db, but not even knowing where to line up!!

Were like a high school team!! OBJ get it together!! Kitchens hold somebody accountable!

Baker_Dawg #1688796 11/06/19 11:09 PM
Legend
Legend
If that song the case Freddy needs to hold him accountable...

<><

#gmstrong
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: YTownBrownsFan
I wonder if this doesn't have a lot to do with blowing off OTAs? Everyone insisted that OBJ would be just fine .... but Freddie did make note of the fact that the offense was being installed in the OTAs.

I would say more so TC and lack of reps in preseason. OBJ participated in individual drills and very few team drills. Freddie was good with this because he, too, thought we could just show up and win based on talent alone.

Milk Man #1688813 11/07/19 09:49 AM
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Milk Man
Originally Posted By: YTownBrownsFan

I would say more so TC and lack of reps in preseason. OBJ participated in individual drills and very few team drills. Freddie was good with this because he, too, thought we could just show up and win based on talent alone.

I get all this, but what about the most recent 10 weeks of "on the job" training??
What do these players do at practice?
Why does it take so long to correct the same problems?

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
Milk Man #1688826 11/07/19 11:29 AM
Legend
Legend

The Browns were driving to get back within one score of the Broncos early in the fourth quarter. But moments before Mayfield took the snap on a third-and-7 from Denver’s 19, Landry took a timeout late on the play clock.

Beckham ended up being the intended receiver when they eventually ran the play. He drew a pass interference from cornerback Chris Harris Jr., giving the Browns a first down inside the Denver 10.

Not lining up correctly goes back to paying attention to details, and doing so correctly on every play. With the play clock running down so late, Beckham didn’t have enough time to get himself lined up properly.

So now that we've blown this play up as a scapegoat for everything wrong with our offense -- let's peel back the layers to the more glaring issues...

Problem: WR not where he was supposed to be, not sure of play.
Result: Waste valuable time out.
Solution: Have enough time left on clock for a WR to be instructed and moved. It happens on every team, every Sunday.

I'm not saying having a clueless WR is ideal, by any stretch, but I've watched enough football to know that players are corrected, even coached through the play at the LOS by their QBs.

In Peyton Manning's offense, he was barking your assignments at the LOS... Then putting players in motion to diagnose the defense... Then barking "Omaha" five times and taking the clock close to the wire while he stared into defenders eyes.

In ours we have someone yelling "slot!" as the clock ticks... 2... 1... "Hike".

Diagnose the success rate of such a play. WR that has no idea how to work the defense, maybe doesn't even know his assignment. QB that has no trust to throw to that player, who may be his primary receiver. Movement and confusion instead of a QB making pre-snap reads.

Basically a play that is DOA. Or worse yet, has a high probability of being a severe negative such as a turnover.

Whetever is going on with "play calling" that is causing it to take 20+ seconds to relay the play to the actual players needs to change... Yesterday. This ongoing failure directly affects execution on nearly every play. Yet, somehow, after ten weeks of "getting ready", nothing has changed.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
FATE #1688827 11/07/19 11:31 AM
Legend
Legend
Yep, the lack of preparation and organization is daunting ... it’s the same issues we saw against Tennessee ... getting the plays in late, not lining up correctly, running wrong/poor routes, etc

Milk Man #1688840 11/07/19 01:23 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

D4L is correct. Beckham was not lined up properly and the play clock was running down and Jarvis did not want an illegal formation penalty called...

From Tim Bielik of Cleveland.com (see link below with video evidence)...

yep. I was wrong.

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
FATE #1688846 11/07/19 02:25 PM
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: FATE
Whetever is going on with "play calling" that is causing it to take 20+ seconds to relay the play to the actual players needs to change... Yesterday. This ongoing failure directly affects execution on nearly every play. Yet, somehow, after ten weeks of "getting ready", nothing has changed.

To me, in part, this goes back to Freddie being in way over his head. He's always a step behind instead of a step ahead causing play calls to come in late week in and week out.

Everything is then rushed at the line and it goes downhill from there.

We've been blessed, yet again, with horrendous coaching.

Legend
Legend
Quote:
Everyone insisted that OBJ would be just fine ....

Sure, running routes making one-handed catches.. all still fine. But the more I watch the NFL the more I come to understand that a lot of people can do those things.. it's the guys who pay attention to the details.. and TEAMS that pay attention to the details.. that win.

Freddie should hold them accountable, I'm not sure how you sit EVERYBODY who is messing up the details because we still have to field a team... If you single out your stars to sit for the details, it's a bad look. If you single out your non-stars to sit for the details, it's a worse look...

I think if Freddie is given a second season, he will be a much different dude next year after seeing how this season went.

yebat' Putin
Legend
Legend
Quote:
Beckham didn’t have enough time to get himself lined up properly.

If he had time to get to the line, he had time to get lined up correctly.

It's literally his JOB to know how & where to line up on every play, plus the rules on how to line up are pretty clearly defined. All it takes is for him to look inward as he is stepping to the line and he will adjust.

KNOW YOUR JOB. DO YOUR JOB.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Milk Man #1688882 11/07/19 05:18 PM
Legend
Legend
Or at least he has not prepped well for down and distance needed or whatever. He has gone fishing meaning Chubb up the middle predictably. Predictability is his enemy.

Late plays and wrong alignments are mental weakness and inadequate preparation. He lacks those as well as clock management.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Baker_Dawg #1688887 11/07/19 05:31 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Tire alignment? Front end alignment?

Legend
Legend
Quote:
plus the rules on how to line up are pretty clearly defined.

That's my thought.. shouldn't take somebody telling him, he should know the rules.. even if he's not 100% sure where he should be. Take a step back or a step forward to at least make sure you are legal.

yebat' Putin
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Alignment?

Link Copied to Clipboard