Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1695825 11/18/19 10:21 PM
BADdog Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Does Baker pump fake? I dont recall him doing it much. Its a great tool for a QB.

Joe Thomas #73
BADdog #1695827 11/18/19 10:22 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: BADdog
Does Baker pump fake? I dont recall him doing it much. Its a great tool for a QB.

yes. too much, IMO

Waiting for the day my name will mean something
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted By: superbowldogg
Originally Posted By: BADdog

yes. too much, IMO

When throwing to OBJ, he pump fakes because he doesn't know where OBJ is going.

BADdog #1695855 11/19/19 09:14 AM
Legend
Legend
Often followed by a sack. Helps to fake with a run. And some double moves. But he checks down and seldom runs enough, so kind of an odd academic point to argue. It might help him.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
BADdog #1695860 11/19/19 09:45 AM
Legend
Legend
J/c

It seems like he’s clutching it more this year, at least earlier on in the season. I think his lack of trust in our OTs and lack of cohesion with OBJ (and no TE) has caused most of it

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Dawgs4Life #1695865 11/19/19 09:56 AM
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life
J/c

It seems like he’s clutching it more this year, at least earlier on in the season. I think his lack of trust in our OTs and lack of cohesion with OBJ (and no TE) has caused most of it

Look at what the TE does for young QBs like L Jackson and Wentz...I'd include Watson there but he's got Hop - who runs a lot of up-the-middle routes ala a TE. Give those guys our TE group and they would be in big trouble. Imagine what Baker could do with Andrews or Ertz. My goodness.

Once the season concludes, we are going to look back at the personnel decisions that cut Fells and left essentially no one behind Njoku...along with not upgrading the OTs. It'll be a huge contributing factor to a disappointing season.

BADdog #1695868 11/19/19 10:03 AM
O
Legend
Legend
O
I pointed it out in the Postgame (not fight) thread, but I thought Mayfield did an excellent job eluding rushers within the pocket, and that included a couple well-timed fakes to get a rusher to jump to bat the pass.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
BADdog #1695890 11/19/19 11:43 AM
Legend
Legend
I feel like pump fakes are designed to throw off a defender. Anything Baker is doing to resemble a pump fake is more due to his indecisiveness.

I think Baker could get better at it.

I think Baker also needs to work on his play action. Defenses aren't being fooled at all. It's like he does the motion, but he's not actually selling it.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
oobernoober #1695898 11/19/19 11:56 AM
Legend
Legend
I believe that on the deep throw to Hodges (I think). He had a rusher bearing down from the outside. He did pump fake. And it worked great.

At quarterback as you develop the use of your eyes and pump fakes are a great tool.

Ben utilizes the pump fake as good as anyone.

Experience at the position and you learn. You learn how different players play. You have to learn how to look guys off your intended target.

Often young quarterbacks feel rushed when experience teaches calmness.

R
Legend
Legend
R
Originally Posted By: HotBYoungTurk
I feel like pump fakes are designed to throw off a defender. Anything Baker is doing to resemble a pump fake is more due to his indecisiveness.

I think Baker also needs to work on his play action. Defenses aren't being fooled at all. It's like he does the motion, but he's not actually selling it.

Last year he was awesome at playaction.

C
Legend
Legend
C

Play action is more about the act of faking the run then anything that is happening with the QB. Our play action isn't working as well because our play calls are predictable.

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2018/rushing-success-and-play-action-passing

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2019/06/nfl-establish-the-run-play-action-pass-stats

oobernoober #1695924 11/19/19 01:08 PM
C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: oobernoober
I pointed it out in the Postgame (not fight) thread, but I thought Mayfield did an excellent job eluding rushers within the pocket, and that included a couple well-timed fakes to get a rusher to jump to bat the pass.

Rishuz #1695925 11/19/19 01:11 PM
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Rishuz

I agree.. something has changed this year, IMO.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
cfrs15 #1695927 11/19/19 01:19 PM
Legend
Legend

That is the play I was referring too.

I noticed it right away when the game was live.

Those types of moves and the ability to look one way knowing the other way is where you are going all comes from learning the position.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Rishuz

I agree.. something has changed this year, IMO.

Something(s) have changed...Defenses aren't "guessing" because we've been more predictable... And play-action isn't very effective on second and third and long - and we've led the league.

As far as the pump fakes. Baker is not only adept, he's been selling them better each game. It goes in a direct line with he and our offense playing better and will continue to do so. I've seen both varieties the past few weeks - getting linemen in the air and getting safeties moving. Baker isn't weak in either area (play-action or pump fakes), everything has been clouded by crappy offensive execution as a whole... It's getting better though.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
bonefish #1695977 11/19/19 03:14 PM
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted By: bonefish
I believe that on the deep throw to Hodges (I think). He had a rusher bearing down from the outside. He did pump fake. And it worked great.

At quarterback as you develop the use of your eyes and pump fakes are a great tool.

Ben utilizes the pump fake as good as anyone.

Experience at the position and you learn. You learn how different players play. You have to learn how to look guys off your intended target.

Often young quarterbacks feel rushed when experience teaches calmness.
Bone can probably answer this better than anyone.

Normally when you pump fake, its because you ALREADY know your going the other way when you do it. You are trying to get a guy off X, pumping to Y, trying to go right back to X with a little bit of separation.

Baker, is pumping, and then not knowing where to go right after and then looking around for an opening caused by the pump, not relying on the pump to draw the guy off an already selected read.

At least that's what I was explained a pump was used for.

he needs to be more decisive when before hes pumping. Watch Ben, when he pumps, he then goes right to his next read.

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Quote:
. Watch Ben, when he pumps
Actually, do not watch that. Do not google that.

I am almost certain a crime would come up if you did. rofl

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: willitevachange
Quote:
. Watch Ben, when he pumps
Actually, do not watch that. Do not google that.

I am almost certain a crime would come up if you did. rofl

Either that or a pic of him and Mark Chmura smoking a victory cigar...

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
Legend
Legend

The pump fake is mostly used on double moves when you try to sell the first move; then go deep.

On play action with a 5 step drop you may look left knowing you want to go right.

On a pre-snap look of single man you want to shake the safety over top. So pump fakes and trying to get him thinking in a direction is important.

I think a common error of young quarterbacks is telegraphing your throw. Experienced safeties and corners especially in zone coverage are looking for tells from the qb.

Peyton was exceptional at play action and handling the ball. Going all out on run fakes and moving guys with his eyes.

It is part of qb play often overlooked.

BADdog #1696148 11/20/19 09:08 AM
E
Legend
Legend
E
1. Baker doesn't have a clean pocket most of the time.

2. you are talking about holding the ball longer by pump faking...in many cases he has to throw the ball after ONE SECOND or else get sacked.

3. If he gets hit while pump faking he will most likely Fumble the ball.

4. He does a lot of shoulder fakes, I think those are safer.

Hey all I want is the OL to get better and provide a clean pocket for 3 seconds...Let Baker go through his progressions without having to run and make something happen! As long as he looks off his intended target and makes the correct decisions...I don't think he needs that pump...

I however think he needs that play action fake from under center to by him some time and when he gets Njoku back he will have that Middle as the LBs take a split second step up.

jmho

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Pump fake?

Link Copied to Clipboard