Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Legend
OP Online
Legend
Parental Dawg-Type Units:

Do you want to give your kid an edge over all the other kids in the neighboring school districts? Do you want to maximize your child's cognitive and social potential (and what parent would say no to such an opportunity)? Do you want to give your kid ever chance to acheive brilliance in higher-functioning professional fields?

If you answered "yes" to any or all of these questions, you'd be well-advised to consider enrolling your son or daughter in a formal music education program through your local ed system. If your local ed system doesn't have this resource available to your kid, they are short-changing your child.

Public Music Education not only changed/defined my life, it also enhanced the lives of thousands of kids in my hometown who went on to excel in other careers, aided in no small part by the benefits of living their young lives in Music. Lima City Schools were at the forefront of 'integrated education' when I entered the system. Our MusEd program was second to none, statewide. Our football-playing jocks were in the Senior Choir. Wrestlers played in the band. Swimmers played in the orchestra.

During the 10 years before and after my high school tenure, we Lima kidz kicked azz in every measurable metric. No coincidence that it was during the same years that local MusEd was at its most formidable.

Read this... and make a commitment to pressure your local education department to make these assets available to your kids.

Check This Out!

"too many notes, not enough music-"
L
Legend
Legend
L
Great post, Clem.

Music programs are just as important as sports programs in teaching kids things such as discipline, team work, attention to detail, commitment, et cetera. No doubt in my mind.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
Playing the trombone from 4th grade till 12th grade, along with two years in the University of Toledo Rocket Marching Band, opened me up to soo many opportunities.

While I don't play today, all the different aspects of being a musician (travel, work ethic, social, performance, and personality) helped guide me to where I am today in my personal and professional life.

Music is medicine for the soul.

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Clem, I couldn't agree more, however, I will extend it to all Arts Education: Visual and Performing Arts, which include Drawing/Painting, Printmaking, Photography, Ceramics/Sculpture, Music, Drama, Dance etc. There's A LOT of research that proves kids who are involved in the arts perform significantly better in the various standardized tests that we make kids take. Many Universities also require at least 1 credit in the Arts as in incoming freshman, and other universities and Liberal Arts colleges require their students to take at least one arts based class (this could include Art History rather than making/performing art) as they know the importance of arts based education for a well rounded student.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I think it boils down to people finding something they are passionate about. The more things you are passionate about, the happier and/or more fulfilled you likely are.

It can be easier to focus on school work when there is something you are eager and passionate about to get to afterwards. And many of the things mentioned help develop focus.

Too many people confuse "pleasant" distractions and passions.

It is harder for some people to discover their passions.

Hmmmmm. I find myself in a musing kind of mood recently. Or is it distracted?

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Everything Else... Dedicated Parents: A Heads Up

Link Copied to Clipboard