Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Bard Dawg
Maybe he kicked FGs and missed them.

Nah, that doesn't get you released obviously.

Curiouser and curiouser.

If you expect a kicker to be perfect, especially in the Dawg Pound, in his rookie season, well, not even Dawson did that.

Seibert is 18-21 on FG, and 21-24 on XP.

He is 10th in kicking this season. Shame we have to put up with him. rofl

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Legend
Legend
I'm quite content with Seibert, personally. He's only going to get better inside that stadium. Once he learns the nuances and the winds, he'll be money like Dawson.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Legend
Legend
Thanks

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
L
Legend
Legend
L
Seibert has been solid. I’m actually surprised when he misses a kick. He and our punter have been good for us, both rookies. I wanted to keep the incumbents.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
Legend
Legend
I am entirely willing and prepared to risk perfection on his part. thumbsup

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater
I'm quite content with Seibert, personally. He's only going to get better inside that stadium. Once he learns the nuances and the winds, he'll be money like Dawson.

It's like a golfer. It take a lot of confidence and trust to aim the ball towards the middle of the pond.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
How much does the fact that the guys the other team worries about get more attention play into PFF grades?

It's easy to have positive plays when the other team pays no attention to you. It's much harder when you are getting double teamed.

I find the move a little curious. Can't say that Devaroe stood out one way or the other last week, though.

Was there/will there be an injury settlement or something? I didn't see him out there a whole lot.

Our pass rush from the front 4 seemed pretty anemic against a rather poor OL group. Luckily coverage held up well for the most part.

Hopefully getting Larry and Vernon back rev up the pressure.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
D
Legend
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: YTownBrownsFan
Coley has ........... 1 tackle on the season. One.

People sometime refuse to put away their Brown glasses when thinking about former players.

When I mentioned being disappointed Coley was released in August, it was without the benefit of fore-knowledge of his 2020 season. But he did start 29 games for us in 2017 and 2018, and while no one will ever confuse him with Aaron Donald, he did contribute to the tune of 80 tackles (42 solo), 1 FF, 2 FR, 2 PD, 2.5 Sacks, 6 QB hits, 11 TFL, and a Safety. At the time, I thought he would be a useful part of the DT rotation, especially now that we had Sheldon Richardson to start next to Ogunjobi. It had nothing to do with "Brown glasses"; I liked the guy as a player.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/C/ColeTr01.htm

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Coley certainly wasn't a bad player...I think with him it was more of the FO not seeing that he was going to get demonstrably better so they went with a new guy whose ceiling wasn't known or maybe had more upside...maybe.

Sometimes that gamble results in a lesser player staying and a better player leaving...but in the end...Coley was JAG. I liked him. Is what it is.

M
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
Quote:
Sometimes that gamble results in a lesser player staying and a better player leaving...but in the end...Coley was JAG. I liked him. Is what it is.

Unfortunately, however, this hasn't been an isolated occurance.

Tackles are tackles.
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted By: MemphisBrownie
Quote:

Unfortunately, however, this hasn't been an isolated occurance.

Yes...yes it has...and unfortunately as you stated.

From McCourty to Nassib to Ogbah to Avery to ???

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater
Apparently, he just didn't flash enough. Guys elevated from the practice squad the week of the game outplayed him.

I'm surprised by it all, especially after all of the preseason "unblockable" hype, but he just didn't do enough.

But are we cutting a guy based off of one game? I think thats relatively short-sighted thinking from our front office if thats the case. Especially from a guy who has shown potential. 4 sacks in preseason. 8 tackles in regular season with very little playing time, and even got a INT against the Ravens.

I haven't checked our waiver wire on who we recently picked up, but there must have been someone we were eyeing and realy wanted to bring in, and Lawrence just happened to be the casualty of the move.

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Originally Posted By: HotBYoungTurk

I haven't checked our waiver wire on who we recently picked up, but there must have been someone we were eyeing and realy wanted to bring in, and Lawrence just happened to be the casualty of the move.

We did recently sign a dude to the PS, but Lawrence was cut when we reinstated Ogunjobi back into the line-up.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: GratefulDawg
This chart cites Lawrence with 222 snaps, so that is more than just 1 game. Bryant's sample size is small, only 22 snaps, but with those 22 snaps he made a strong impression. Strong enough to keep him over the guy who was dead last on that chart.

1. #GMstrong
2. "I'm just trying to be the best Nick I can be." ~ Nick Chubb
3. Forgive me Elf, I didn’t have faith. ~ Tulsa
4. ClemenZa #1
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: W84NxtYrAgain
Originally Posted By: GratefulDawg
This chart cites Lawrence with 222 snaps, so that is more than just 1 game. Bryant's sample size is small, only 22 snaps, but with those 22 snaps he made a strong impression. Strong enough to keep him over the guy who was dead last on that chart.

If you've only played against the league's worst run blocking OL ( Link ), your "composite" run defense grade being good isn't necessarily a great indicator of future performance.

Meanwhile PIT, the Jets, and MIA (I believe, just did a quick glance through and the early season schedule is a bit hazy) are the only teams in the bottom half Devaroe faced.

That's just to say the numbers don't tell the whole story.

All the praise Lawrence got earlier in the year makes me wonder what else is going on. Probably cursed at an official again or something. Silent suspension so Browns' fans don't get more upset about officiating and it's oversight?

Fiercely Independent.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Bull_Dawg

If you've only played against the league's worst run blocking OL ( Link ), your "composite" run defense grade being good isn't necessarily a great indicator of future performance.

Meanwhile PIT, the Jets, and MIA (I believe, just did a quick glance through and the early season schedule is a bit hazy) are the only teams in the bottom half Devaroe faced.

That's just to say the numbers don't tell the whole story.

All the praise Lawrence got earlier in the year makes me wonder what else is going on. Probably cursed at an official again or something. Silent suspension so Browns' fans don't get more upset about officiating and it's oversight?

I understand all that. That doesn't change the fact that Lawrence was at the bottom of the list with a pretty bad grade.

1. #GMstrong
2. "I'm just trying to be the best Nick I can be." ~ Nick Chubb
3. Forgive me Elf, I didn’t have faith. ~ Tulsa
4. ClemenZa #1
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: W84NxtYrAgain

I understand all that. That doesn't change the fact that Lawrence was at the bottom of the list with a pretty bad grade.

That's fair-ish, I suppose.

But what's the max number of snaps he ever played in a row? You can argue he should be fresh, but he was also often coming into games cold and didn't necessarily have time to develop a feel for opponents or set up moves.

How do the players compare at practice? It was always my understanding that he tore it up there when operating in more of an equal opportunity environment. Maybe that's the issue, things not translating to games.

More than Freddie, the DL coach is probably the guy on staff I wonder most about.

Not being able to find a role for Avery, everyone but Thomas seeming to regress on the DL or playing rather undisciplined (Myles). Having everyone use the bull in a China shop approach that worked against inferior OLs at Bama doesn't work as well in the pros.

Bryant over Lawrence may be the right decision. It's more Lawrence's trajectory that was surprising. I was trying to figure out why.

Fiercely Independent.
Legend
Legend

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
Page 2 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Browns Release Devaroe Lawrence

Link Copied to Clipboard