Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Dawgs4Life #1697408 11/24/19 08:45 AM
Legend
Legend
Cleveland Browns Pregame Scribbles: Can this exhausting team finally quiet the noise?
Updated 7:34 AM
https://www.cleveland.com/browns/2019/11...heir-image.html

By Terry Pluto, The Plain Dealer
CLEVELAND – Scribbles in my notebook as the Cleveland Browns prepare to face the Miami Dolphins on Sunday in FirstEnergy Stadium (1 p.m., WJW Channel 8) :

1. It seems like forever since the Browns have played a game. It’s actually 10 days. They beat the Pittsburgh Steelers, 21-7, on Nov. 14. It should have been a fun 10 days for the Browns and their fans, finally dumping the Steelers. Instead, it’s been All-Myles-Garrett-Helmet, All-The-Time.

2. Jay Glazer is a well-known NFL commentator. He now works for Fox Sports and The Athletic. He was asked by a reader if the Browns “have a culture problem or simply a lapse in discipline?"

3. “Both,” wrote Glazer. “Their head coach Freddie Kitchens is saying there’s not but every week there’s something. When you have one player tweeting out death threats one week, then another player with a watch controversy, then there’s this big fight, there’s just too much noise out of there.”

4. Glazer is right. The exhausting part of the Browns is too much noise. Odell Beckham Jr. is the source of much of it. The Browns knew that when they traded for the receiver. Beckham is not a bad person. But there are aspects of his personality that wore out the New York Giants. His subconscious need for attention is doing the same here.

5. The Browns won’t admit concerns about Beckham. Maybe they don’t have any. I probably wouldn’t mention it if Beckham was one of the top receivers in the NFL this season. But he’s not. He’s caught one TD pass. He is averaging 14.4 yards per reception with 48 catches in 10 games. It’s an OK season, but certainly not Pro Bowl worthy.

6. Profootballfocus (PFF) rates Beckham No. 31 out of 44 starting receivers. They have him with six drops, third most among receivers. He has been flagged for six penalties (three declined), tied for the most among receivers. They rank Jarvis Landry No. 23.

7. Beckham can change things with a strong finish to the season. The same with the Browns. That’s why beating Miami would be a good step. That would put the team on a three-game winning streak, all at home. That comes after losing the first three home games of the season.

8. Glazer also wrote of the Browns: “There was a lot of noise going into the season, you knew it going in. Somehow, someway, someone has to quiet the noise. There’s a lot of big personalities in there. There are way too many penalties. The quarterback isn’t being developed. There’s always something with the Browns.”

9. Not everything Glazer wrote is correct. But the perception was developed in the first eight games of the season. The Browns were 2-6, leading the NFL in penalties and Baker Mayfield was one of the lowest-ranked QBs. They lost, 24-19, to a poor Denver Broncos team. Jermaine Whitehead was tweeting out post-game threats while still in uniform following the loss.

10. In their victories over Pittsburgh and the Buffalo Bills, the Steve Wilks’ defense has come together – holding those teams to 16 and 7 points. In those victories, Mayfield is 43-of-70 passing (61 percent) with four touchdowns and zero interceptions. He has been sacked only three times.

11. Then there’s Nick Chubb, averaging 101 yards per game. He is turning into a great running back, a role model of consistency and a team player. The offensive line is growing together since Wyatt Teller took over as the starting right guard. Landry is having a strong season.

12. Those are the things Browns fans would be talking about had the Pittsburgh game ended eight seconds earlier. Instead, the fight that began between Garrett and Pittsburgh QB Mason Rudolph has dominated the news and once again made the Browns look undisciplined.

13. The Browns need a “normal” game and a decisive victory. The 2-8 Dolphins are a weak opponent. Even without three starters on the defensive line, the Browns should be able to control this game on offense and defense.

14. From a football perspective, the Browns have played two dominating games this season. They beat the Baltimore Ravens, 40-25, and then there’s the 21-7 victory over Pittsburgh. Beating Buffalo (19-16) also was impressive. That’s who the Browns can be when they are fully engaged.

15. As for the fallout from the fight, it’s still stunning that the NFL reduced the suspension of Pittsburgh’s Maurkice Pouncey from three to two games. The guy was kicking Garrett. Rudolph was fined $50,000... no suspension. Given how the NFL ruled on this, I’m surprised they didn’t pay Rudolph $50,000 for his trouble.

16. I know, that’s sounding a bit bitter. Garrett deserved the six-game suspension, but it should not be indefinite. Yet, that remains... and they added an additional $45,623 in fines to him losing about $1.8 million in salary. I’m not excusing Garrett or teammate Larry Ogunjobi (suspended for a game), but the NFL took a bad/sad situation and made it worse with later rulings.

17. Miami will start 37-year-old Ryan Fitzpatrick at QB. He is having a solid year for a very bad team. The Dolphins are 2-5 when he starts. He’s completing 63 percent of his passes, eight TD passes and eight interceptions. He has a 5-1 record vs. the Browns.

18. Fitzpatrick can get hot and put up some numbers. But the Browns should pile up the points against a defense ranked second-worst in the NFL, allowing 30.5 points per game.

19. I want to see more of what the Browns can do with the Kareem Hunt/Chubb backfield. Mayfield has been far more at ease since Hunt returned from a suspension two weeks ago. Hunt has embraced any role from blocking, to catching passes, to running the ball, and his teammates love his unselfish attitude.

20. Prediction: Browns 27, Miami 13. I’m 6-4 picking Browns games this season.

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
Psydeffect #1697412 11/24/19 08:55 AM
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Although it would be very Browns of us to lose to a team on pace for fewest rushing yards in a season.

Dawgs4Life #1697416 11/24/19 09:04 AM
O
Legend
Legend
O
Expect a loss. Whenever a game is stacked for the Browns to get an easy win, they screw it up every time.

I will be predicting a loss every game for the rest of the season because when I predict wins they lose.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
Dawgs4Life #1697429 11/24/19 10:18 AM
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
The key to winning against teams like Miami is let them make the mistakes play it safe take shots when their there but otherwise ball control take care of the ball and wait for them to implode.

Kind of what we did to Pittsburgh.

BTTB

AKA Upbeat Dawg

Can't believe I am in a group that is comprised of the best NOT just fans but people on the planet.
Legend
Legend

The Browns have put themselves into must games from this point forward.

They have to win these next two games. The Dolphins have a weak defense. We need to score early and often.

Winning the Steeler game last week is only truly important if we beat them again.

The Bengals are terrible.

That leaves the Ravens and Cardinals. The Cards are playing good football and Murray can present big problems.

Obviously the Ravens have been playing great. Beating them twice will be a real chore.

That is where we are. Self inflicted wounds have put this team where it is.

So every week till season end is a must win.

Dawgs4Life #1697474 11/24/19 01:10 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Miami's run defense is horrible so expect to see plenty of Chubb and Hunt, could see both of them getting close to 100 yards a piece today.

Browns 31
Fins 17

#gmstrong

Live, Love, Laugh
Dawgs4Life #1697485 11/24/19 01:37 PM
C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
Browns 34
Fins 16

Chubb >100 yards rushing
Hunt >150 yards from scrimmage
Baker 17/24, 210 yards, 1 TD, 1 INT

Dawgs4Life #1697495 11/24/19 01:51 PM
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
I predict big days from Landry and Hunt

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Dawgs4Life #1698324 11/24/19 05:34 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Here to eat my crow. D did better than expected.

bonefish #1698467 11/24/19 11:19 PM
Legend
Legend
Quote:
That leaves the Ravens and Cardinals. The Cards are playing good football and Murray can present big problems.

Obviously the Ravens have been playing great. Beating them twice will be a real chore.

Two teams where their best rushing threat is their QB... that's going to be a problem, especially without Garrett. If you can't rush with 4 and let the LBs and DBs play straight up, you can get buried by teams with QBs who can run like that... that's my biggest fear.

yebat' Putin
Milk Man #1698661 11/25/19 05:41 PM
D
Legend
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: Milk Man
Originally Posted By: DiamDawg
Your in for a huge letdown my friend ....

U and many of our fellow dawgs are severely underrating the fish .... and our team is a shell of itself from even last week ....

Losing MG can fire up guys to the moon and back ... no matter how fired up they get it won’t make up for the LOSS OF TALENT that we just suffered ...

Crap ... we may be w/o 3/4th’s of our DL ... we have ZERO PASS RUSH now .... no one that needs double teaming ..... but hey ... we’ll be fired up so no worries ... rolleyes ...

I’d flip a coin ... maybe give us a slight edge cause were at home ...

Miami’s O is WAY BETTER than the one we faced Thursday night ... and were down MG and OBI ..... its like most of ya’all have no clue the impact thats gonna have cause were now a much “closer” team with all this motivation ....

next sunday .... no MG ... no pressure on Mason .. JuJu and Connor possibly back .... OH VEY!!! But lest i forget ... we’ll be fired up ... rolleyes ...

Lol, this is hysterical. Mr. Isle of Optimism.

The Dolphins are horrible. They beat a lousy Jets team and a Colts team w/ Hoyer at the helm. Hoyer turned the ball over every chance he could.

My goodness, what a time to tuck your tail and run (reminds me of the Brady Quinn era).

Browns roll!

Once again i nailed it ... *L* ...

WHERES the crow ... this will be some good crow for a change ... thumbsup

Tuck tail and run ... thats funnier than me nailing it once again ... i dont run from squat ... not who i am ...

Funny thing about BQ .. i left the board before TC started ... he didnt stink til like game 2 of the regular season ... yet menZas like u keep saying i ran cause of BQ when in reality i quit posting 5 or 6 weeks before game 1 of the regular season ...

But hey ... whatever floats your boat and makes u feel better ... its a good story, i mean it is the year 2019 and facts don’t matter much to u and your ilk ...

Me run ... *L* ... maybe who u are ... not I sir!

Like this season ... I could not have been more wrong ... yet i never left .... but that don’t count ... rofl .... i prolly will take a break soon though ... this Place ain’t much fun Right now ... and whenever its not fun i take a break .... done it 4 or 5 times over the years ...

Carry on and enjoy dawgs ... i know i will wherever that may be ... thumbsup

DiamDawg #1698670 11/25/19 06:24 PM
M
Legend
Legend
M
Your unwavering enthusiasm will continue to float my boat, Diam! Maybe even some of my ilk. thumbsup

Milk Man #1698673 11/25/19 06:43 PM
D
Legend
Legend
D
Wait til this offseason .... thumbsup

Tabber and I are getting the place ready now ... unfortunately the cob webs have taken over ... fantasy island don’t have that problem though ... *L* ...

DiamDawg #1698818 11/26/19 10:16 AM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: DiamDawg
Wait til this offseason .... thumbsup

Tabber and I are getting the place ready now ... unfortunately the cob webs have taken over ... fantasy island don’t have that problem though ... *L* ...

I have been pushed aside?

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
D
Legend
Legend
D
Never bro .... your way to important for cleaning duty bro ..... we need U to keep tabber and I hydrated ... thumbsup

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2019 NFL Season Looking Back: Browns 41 Dolphins 24 Predictions

Link Copied to Clipboard