Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1697002 11/22/19 01:19 PM
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer

Maybe it's me... Does Tesla Cyber Truck look like the result of a one night stand between an Aztek & Delorean?

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/tesla-cybertruck-unveiled-elon-musk-electric-pickup-truck/
Tesla Cybertruck electrifies the truck segment

Tesla's next entry isn't a car at all, it's a pickup truck, and it's unlike any trucks we've seen before.

Tim Stevens mugshot
Andrew Krok mugshot
Tim Stevens
Andrew Krok
November 22, 2019 6:49 AM PST
99+
LISTEN
- 03:10
Tesla Cybertruck Invite
Enlarge Image
Here it is, in all its cyberpunk glory.

Tim Stevens/Roadshow
What started off as a casual comment by Elon Musk in 2012 about wanting to build a truck has evolved into what you see here, Tesla's first production pickup truck. Called the Cybertruck (or "Cybrtrk" if you're of the dark trench coat persuasion), it's built to fulfill a lot of familiar tasks but, beyond that, is anything but familiar.

Let's start with the basic stuff. The Cybertruck is 231.7 inches long, 79.8 inches wide and 75 inches tall, with seating for six. Let's compare that to the Ford F-150, which measures between 209 and 250 inches long, 80 and 86 inches wide and between 75 and 78.5 inches tall. That puts it in pretty much the same company as every other pickup out there.

Read more: How to order Tesla's insane new Cybertruck

Now playing: Tesla Cybertruck: First ride in the pickup of the future
5:25
And then there are the performance figures, which sound too good to be true. Musk claims the Cybertruck will reach 60 mph in 2.9 seconds before continuing through the quarter-mile marker in under 11 seconds. Yet, at the same time, its off-road numbers are commendable, offering a 35-degree approach angle, a 28-degree departure angle and up to 16 inches of ground clearance. Three ranges will be on offer, with "250-plus" miles at the low end and an astounding "500-plus" miles at the top.

At the Cybertruck's premiere on Thursday, Musk also showed off an ATV that can fit (and charge) inside the truck's bed.

Musk claims the stainless steel alloy on the Cybertruck's body is strong, and it appears to be the case. Not only did he and his team hit the body with a sledgehammer to no effect, Musk even claims it can withstand certain types of small arms fire.

Enlarge Image
Tesla
On the towing front, Musk estimates the truck will be capable of towing 14,000 pounds. According to a video played at the debut, the Cybertruck out-pulled the F-150 in a tug of war.

It's difficult to compare Cybertruck to much of anything on the road, but it isn't the only electric pickup coming to market. Rivian made waves with its R1T, promising more than 400 miles of range and 700 horsepower, with a 0-to-60 time of 3.2 seconds, 11,000 pounds of towing and 1,764 pounds of payload. Starting price? $69,000.

And don't forget Bollinger, which is taking a similar concept to ruggedized, electrified pick-up, but with a decidedly more up-market Bollinger B2. That truck, with 614 hp and 668 pound-foot of torque, tows 7,500 pounds and hauls 5,201 pounds. Impressive numbers, but also impressive is the price: $125,000.

Compare that to the Cybertruck's claimed price, which is... far lower, frankly. In its least expensive guise, the 250-plus-mile Cybertruck will cost $39,900. The midrange Cybertruck tacks on an extra $10,000, while the top-range, "tri-motor" variant comes in at $69,900. Cybertruck preorders are now open.

Given its relative performance and price, the Cybertruck could be a massive success for Tesla as it enters into the largest segment in the US market. Almost 3 million pickups were sold to consumers in 2018. If Tesla can carve off a tiny sliver of that, it'll go a long way toward taking Tesla's annual sales to the next level.

tesla-cybertruck-unveil-retouched-1

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
P
Legend
Legend
P
It's mo fugly.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
I could see myself driving that... If I lived on the moon.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
O
Legend
Legend
O
I think it's ugly and ridiculous. I think it'll do well with the "raise it up and put on huge wheels so I'm even worse at parking but I don't ever do any work with it or get it dirty crowd". I saw a lot of those in SoCal.

Some of the stuff it can do is cool, though. And it seems to be well-priced.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
P
Legend
Legend
P

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
L
Legend
Legend
L
I watched the unveil last night...Elon is a socially awkward dude..lol, first i thought it was a prank but when he started going into it i was like oh..damn, its real. I think the design could have better but everything that it does and the features/performance and price, I think it will sell well. Reports are over 200k reservations in first 24 hours. I think it will change somewhat before production. Needs mirrors, and the lights in back won't fly. They showed an ATV they have as well at the end that they showed a built in ramp that automatically drops the back end for loading then self levels after tailgate shut...thats cool, I want the atv. Can even charge in truck. The windows breaking to me aren't a big deal..I think legally they have to be able to break to gain access and no way I'd want to be in a vehicle i couldn't smash my way out of. But poor preparation.. atleast test everything you're going to do on a demo..lol

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
O
Legend
Legend
O
That's a great point about the windows.

I was just wondering what segment of the population was clamoring for bullet-proof/resistant materials.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
L
Legend
Legend
L
well they showed the same ball being dropped on a pane of the glass and it didn't break...i think they probably just had regular glass on the demo..but in it's defense, the glass just spiderwebbed and didn't shatter and allow the object to penetrate..but like i said, i can't see that being an issue as 99.9% of people don't need an armored truck..lol, now military applications galore here, maybe be the compliment to the oshkosh like the cucv was to hmmwv

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
Legend
Legend
I could drive that.

yebat' Putin
Legend
Legend
Wow is that hideous.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
Whoop-de-do
Most pickups have been equipped with safety (re:shatterproof)glass in the front doors for years.Hi end models also have sound deadening glass.

Indecision may,or maynot,be my problem
C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
Looks like an Pontiac Aztec crossed with a Delorean.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
I was pumped to hear tesla had a truck coming out... until I saw it.... thing is ugly

<><

#gmstrong
E
Legend
Legend
E
It looks like it belongs in Minecraft.

I guess the people who buy that will be the same people who buy the Cube car. Because they don't get enough time in their cube at work.

No Craps Given
Legend
Legend

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
Legend
Legend
So, not a "chick truck" for the masses? Lines strike me as ugly; is their a no-windows package option? Not ready for market yet IMO.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Legend
Legend
Add a 50 cal fully auto “Rat Patrol” 2020.

A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives.
– Jackie Robinson
E
Legend
Legend
E

No Craps Given
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Everything Else... Tesla Cybertruck

Link Copied to Clipboard