Next Thread
Print Thread
P
PitDAWG Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P
A statue of a Confederate soldier that stood outside a historic courthouse near Raleigh, N.C., for more than a century was removed by local officials this week, The Associated Press reports.

According to the news service, the removal of the statue, which had been standing in Pittsboro, N.C. for 112 years, began on Tuesday night and was completed by Wednesday morning.

The action comes years after a state law was passed protecting Confederate monuments and statues in North Carolina from removal without a signoff from the state’s Historical Commission, The News & Observer in Raleigh noted.

However, that law reportedly only applied to statues on public lands. According to the AP, the statue in Chatham County sat on private property owned by the a local chapter of the United Daughters of the Confederacy.

The group reportedly argued against its removal in court. However, a judge allowed its removal after county officials pointed to the location of the statue during court proceedings, the AP reported.

The move by county officials upset some in the community, including local resident Robert Butler, who called the removal “heartbreaking” in an interview with the AP.

"A statue's never hurt a soul, just like a grave memorial. Do they hurt anybody?” he asked.

The county said in a statement seen by CNN that the statue and the pedestal on which it stood would be “transported to a safe location where they will be preserved and stored.” The county reportedly added that the local group will be able to retrieve them when it "finds a more appropriate location to place them.”

https://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-...after-more-than

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Good now all our Racial problems should be over.

P
PitDAWG Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P
Well at least we are deciding to stop honoring traitors to the United States on public grounds. You gotta start somewhere. wink

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
cool, we don't celebrate traitors.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
E
Legend
Legend
E
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
Well at least we are deciding to stop honoring traitors to the United States on public grounds. You gotta start somewhere. wink

You should maybe read what you post before you post it.

It says a law was passed protecting statues on public land.
And this statue was not on public land.

No Craps Given
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Swish
cool, we don't celebrate traitors.

We do if they win.

yebat' Putin
Legend
Legend
is this a reference to say, 1776?

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
Legend
Legend
It's a reference to every civil war ever.. the winner gets to build statues and celebrate, regardless of how they started.

yebat' Putin
Legend
Legend
thats how human society works, apparently.

i hope this isnt an attempt to have me feel sympathy or empathy for those who fought for slavery.

- Theodore Roosevelt
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Swish
thats how human society works, apparently.

i hope this isnt an attempt to have me feel sympathy or empathy for those who fought for slavery.

Nope.

yebat' Putin
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Dawg Duty
Good now all our Racial problems should be over.

You’all said that when Obama was elected. Pffft

A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives.
– Jackie Robinson
BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
They removed a statue on private property???
wow!

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: BpG
wow!

Yes, their feelings are more important than a property owners rights.

yebat' Putin
O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted By: DCDAWGFAN
Originally Posted By: BpG
wow!

Yes, their feelings are more important than a property owners rights.

rolleyes It's not much different than a HOA telling you what you can and can't have in your yard. But this is a City protecting it's image.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
O
Legend
Legend
O
The only difference I can think of is that you sign your HOA agreement saying you're going to abide by all their rules.

This ruling seemed fairly arbitrary (at least, according to the article).

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
O
Legend
Legend
O
I never once signed an agreement to pay taxes in any city, state, or country... yet I am forced to live with that reality. I also never agreed/consented/signed off on living under the local ordinances that govern my life with all kinds of do's and don'ts, but again it's my reality.

They should be happy the town didn't claim eminent domain and take the land before removing the statue.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Palus Politicus Confederate statue in North Carolina taken down after more than a century

Link Copied to Clipboard