Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
TTTDawg Offline OP
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
Always enjoyed watching the State Finals. Kirtland seems to just always be there in the Finals. Good blurb below on Kirtland on the exact same thing. No doubt some other yearly repeat teams below.

Hopefully I'll figure out how to watch em this year. Last year was first for me in years not watching the games. Couldn't get em on DirecTv.

D1. Pickering Central vs Cincinnati Elder
D2. Massillon Washington vs Cincinnati Lasalle
D3. Trotwood Madison vs Mansfield Senior
D4. Licking Valley vs Clyde
D5. Ironton vs Kirtland
D6. Anna vs New Middletown Springfield
D7. Marion Local vs Lucas

https://www.maxpreps.com/news/pRQZ6zeskk...-finals-set.htm

Following a surprise Week 4 loss to neighboring Groveport-Madison, Pickerington Central fell off some radars. That big blip is the Tigers heading back to Canton.

Upending previously undefeated and nationally ranked Mentor 28-21 in the Ohio High School Athletic Association state semifinals on Friday, Pickerington Central earned its fourth state final berth. The Tigers were state champions in 2017. Mentor, ranked No. 13 in the MaxPreps Top 25 National Rankings, was trying to reach its fifth state final in head coach Steve Trivisonno's final season.

Pickerington Central will face No. 22 Cincinnati Elder in the D-I final. The Panthers, who survived Springfield 31-24, are also making their fourth appearance in the state final and first since 2008. Elder was state champion in 2002 and 2003.

In Division II, Massillon Washington advanced to its second straight state final with a win over Avon in a meeting of undefeateds, while Cincinnati La Salle advanced to its fourth final in five years. The meeting sets up an intriguing matchup for Massillon head coach Nate Moore who led the Lancers to their first state title in 2014 before heading north.

In Division III, playoff stalwart Trotwood-Madison advanced to its eighth state final and seventh since 2010 with a victory over Columbus Hartley. The Rams will face Mansfield Senior, which is making its first appearance in a state final.

The Division IV final will feature Licking Valley and Clyde, which entered the postseason as an eight seed and 6-4.

In Division V, playoff regulars Ironton and Kirtland meet. Ironton is making its ninth trip to the state final (but first since 1999). Kirtland is appearing in its eighth final since 2011 and looking for its fifth title and second straight.

The Division VI state final will feature a pair of newcomers in Anna and New Middletown Springfield.

In Division VII, Marion Local has reached the state final for the 14th time since 2000 and will look to win its 11th title against newcomer Lucas.

Tom Benson Hall of Fame Stadium in Canton will serve as the host site for all seven state champion contests next weekend.

Champions in 2018 were St. Edward (Division I), Archbishop Hoban (Division II), Kenston (Division III), Wyoming (Division IV), Orrville (Division V), Kirtland (Division VI) and McComb (Division VII). Wyoming and Kirtland are still alive in the 219 postseason

Let this sink in..... On 12-31-23 it be will 123123.
On the flip side, you can tune a piano but you can't tune-a-fish.

A
Legend
Legend
A
I can't speak about any team other than Anna. For a VI school, they are big (O line averages 240 lbs), quick, strong, and fast.

They beat my Archbold Bluestreaks fairly handily in the regional finals.

M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c...
In the spirit of high school football...

M
Legend
Legend
M

Legend
Legend
My nephew's alma mater, Clyde, has had a solid program off and on over the past 15yrs or so but never seemed to get to the big game. This year, they finally did it when expectations weren't really high and they finished with a 6-4 record. Go figure.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Anna and Marion Local both play in the MAC and Anna dominated the conference this year, I would be surprised if they don't win. My Fort Loramie Redskins played Marion Local in the regional semifinals and Marion scored a td in the final seconds and then won in overtime with a FG. Both Anna and Marion Local's school districts abut Fort Loramie's. Go Rockets! and Go Flyers!

#gmstrong

Live, Love, Laugh
Legend
Legend
You never know how HS teams come together, make big runs/plays, or even get lucky ... that’s the beauty of it! Congrats and best of luck

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
A
Legend
Legend
A
Sorry this thread didn't go where it could have gone. Many people just don't care about their local schools and how they do in sports. A few do. I guess I'm one of the few.

F
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
F
Marion Local was supposed to have an "off year" according to some of their fans before the season and they actually lost a couple games this year which is unheard of. Our high school plays in the MAC and out program has only been around since 1992. IT took us years to be truly competitive in our conference and we have never beaten ML. Anna was outstanding this year as they just drilled us and I am pretty confident even though we finished 4-6, in most conferences of small schools we would have been in the playoffs .

WE won a state title a few years back but for nearly 2 decades we would win our 2-3 non-conference games and then proceed to win 0-2 conference games. Several times our 3-7 seasons we beat teams who finished 7-3 or 8-2 and made the playoffs.

Sorry I can't discuss any others but I don't attend school's games other than our area. I am pretty sure the number 8 seed in our region from The MAC beat the #1 seed this year easily. Ended up losing to ML.

On a side note the 50/50 drawing for games like Marion Local - Coldwater will reach $10,000 - $15,000, and that is the winner share, not the total taken in. Our area is HS FB crazy.

Last edited by FORTBROWNFAN; 12/03/19 09:43 PM.
TTTDawg Offline OP
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
La Salle over Massilon Washington yesterday(Thurs). 3rd paragraph pretty much sums up the game. Oy vey I say. 337 yards on the ground. willynilly

La Salle football on DII Ohio state title win: 'We just came in and took care of business'
SCOTT SPRINGER | CINCINNATI ENQUIRER
Updated 8 hours ago

CANTON - La Salle High School is now 4-for-4 in state championship games as the Lancers handed Massillon Washington their first defeat of the year in the Ohio Division II title game Thursday night, 34-17.

Outnumbered crowd-wise by neighboring Massillon, the Lancer fans were the loudest of the 11,286 at the end.

La Salle pounded the Tigers on the ground outgaining them 337-82. Junior quarterback Zach Branam led with 166 yards on 22 carries.

“It felt amazing in this atmosphere,” Branam said. “They had a great crowd; we had a great crowd. Playing under the lights here was a special moment.”

Sophomore Gi’Bran Payne added 133yards and senior Cam Porter finished his prep career with 57 yards and three touchdowns. For good measure, Jake Seibert tacked on a pair of field goals to provide some fourth-quarter comfort.

Payne and Porter doubled up on defense also. After playing in La Salle’s 2016 championship as a freshman, Porter's La Salle swan song ended on a high note before he heads to play football for Northwestern.

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/...ame/2615055001/

TTTDawg Offline OP
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: archbolddawg
Sorry this thread didn't go where it could have gone. Many people just don't care about their local schools and how they do in sports. A few do. I guess I'm one of the few.

Nah......no big deal.
I've always tried to follow Ohio HS football. Have for a long time. Heck even before the playoff system in place when it was Computer rankings based. I just post this for the few that do. Whenever I do there's 6-8 responders.

My best friends older brother played for Mentor. Growing up in Mentor talk was always, way back then, Mentor/Massilon. Late 60's, early 70'.....ish.

Heck, gimme State Championship games over any College non-top 12-15 teams playing each other. Really miss regular season Friday Night HS Football on tv. Always watched it.

Ohio champs by year......

https://ohsaa.org/sports/football/pastresults

A
Legend
Legend
A
Cool link. My Archbold Bluestreaks are in there.

TTTDawg Offline OP
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
Anna wins first OHSAA state football championship, 48-14 vs. New Middletown Springfield
Updated Dec 06, 2019;Posted Dec 06, 2019
By Matt Goul, cleveland.com

CANTON, Ohio — The mighty Midwest Athletic Conference has another state champion. This time, it is Anna with that football program’s first title.

The Rockets won the Division VI championship Friday after Tom Benson Hall of Fame Stadium in Canton with 48-14 win vs. New Middletown Springfield.

Quarterback Bart Bixler rushed for 168 yards and two touchdowns on 18 carries, threw for a third TD on just five passing attempts, while running back Riley Huelskamp added 146 yards and three TDs on 17 carries.

Anna (14-1) jumped out to a 21-point lead on TD runs by Huelskamp, Bixler and the QB's 38-yard scoring pass to Nolan Emerson. Springfield (14-1) cut it to 28-14 by halftime, but the Rockets pulled away in the third and fourth quarters.

Maria Stein Marion Local, also from the MAC, will go after the Division VII crown Saturday morning vs. Lucas.

A
Legend
Legend
A
I'm not surprised. Watched them play in the regional semi game.

For a D6 school - big, fast, quick. I'm surprised they threw the ball 5 times.

TTTDawg Offline OP
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
Trotwood Madison 14 Mansfield 7 (overtime)

Trotwood-Madison rallies past Mansfield, 14-7 in OT, for OHSAA Division III state title

CANTON, Ohio — Denied on a winning field-goal attempt to end the fourth quarter, Trotwood-Madison was triumphant in overtime Friday as the Rams rallied for a 14-7 win vs. Mansfield Senior in the OHSAA Division III state football championship.

Neither team scored until Mansfield’s Terrance Flickinger broke off a 94-yard run early in the third quarter. The Tygers (13-2) led until 8:11 left in the fourth quarter, when Ke’Shawn Huguely’s 13-yard run and Carter Mims’ extra point tied the score.

Trotwood (12-3) had a chance to win in regulation on a short field goal, which Mansfield blocked. The Rams then took the lead and ultimately the title with Keon’Tae Huguely scoring on an 18-yard pass from Sammy Anderson. Mansfield’s last try to force double overtime was thwarted on a Hail Mary to the end zone.
Keon’Tae Huguely finished with 91 yards from scrimmage, including 70 yards rushing on nine carries. Ke’Shawn Huguely rushed for 52 yards on 12 carries.

Flickinger paced Mansfield with 130 yards on 11 carries.

Trotwood won its second state championship in three years and third in program history.

Keon’Tae Huguely finished with 91 yards from scrimmage, including 70 yards rushing on nine carries. Ke’Shawn Huguely rushed for 52 yards on 12 carries.

https://www.cleveland.com/highschoolspor...tate-title.html

TTTDawg Offline OP
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
Pickering Central 21
Cincinnati Elder 14

Pickerington Central reclaims OHSAA Division I state football title with 21-14 win vs. Cincinnati Elder
Posted Dec 06, 2019

CANTON, Ohio — Pickerington Central again stands atop the state football landscape in Division I.

Demeatric Crenshaw found Lorenzo Styles on a 49-yard touchdown strike with just 3:41 left Friday night at Tom Benson Hall of Fame Stadium in Canton. The play gave Pickerington Central a 21-14 win vs. Cincinnati Elder for the OHSAA state football championship in D-I.

Crenshaw, who scored a title-game record six TDs in 2017, led a fourth-quarter rally with two TD passes. The first with 10:16 left found Tyler Gillison on a fourth-and-goal pass.

#OHSAA D1 FOOTBALL: Pickerington Central converts on a fourth-and-goal from the eight yard line to tie the game at 14. Demeatric Crenshaw found Tyler Gillison for the 7-yard TD reception. 9:09 left in the game.

Pick Central - 14
Elder - 14

Crenshaw threw for 197 yards on 14-of-16 passing. He also rushed for 62 yards on 19 carries. Nick Mosley scored a first-quarter TD for the Tigers (13-2) and finished with 33 yards on nine carries.

Matthew Luebbe led Elder (12-3) with 118 yards rushing and a TD on 20 carries.

https://www.cleveland.com/highschoolspor...nati-elder.html

TTTDawg Offline OP
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
Marion Local.....28
Lucas.............6

Lucas falls to Marion Local 28-6 in D-VII state football championship game
Local teams are now 0-3 in Canton this weekend.

For the first time ever, Richland county was able to boast two teams in the OHSAA state football championship games. Unfortunately, both squads came up short.

Lucas lost to powerful Marion Local 28-6 Saturday in the D-VII title game. The Cubs never led in the game, and their only score came on a 96-yard Carson Hauger kickoff return late in the third quarter.

Brandon Fleck was the star of the show for the Flyers (13-2), rushing for 133 yards and three touchdowns. The defense also sacked Lucas (12-3) quarterback Logan Niswander seven times, with Nathan Ungruhn tallying two of those sacks and four total tackles for loss.

https://www.wkyc.com/article/sports/high...41-6c86a0411569

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted By: TTTDawg
Anna wins first OHSAA state football championship, 48-14 vs. New Middletown Springfield
Updated Dec 06, 2019;Posted Dec 06, 2019

CANTON, Ohio — The mighty Midwest Athletic Conference has another state champion. This time, it is Anna with that football program’s first title.

The Rockets won the Division VI championship Friday after Tom Benson Hall of Fame Stadium in Canton with 48-14 win vs. New Middletown Springfield.

Quarterback Bart Bixler rushed for 168 yards and two touchdowns on 18 carries, threw for a third TD on just five passing attempts, while running back Riley Huelskamp added 146 yards and three TDs on 17 carries.

Anna (14-1) jumped out to a 21-point lead on TD runs by Huelskamp, Bixler and the QB's 38-yard scoring pass to Nolan Emerson. Springfield (14-1) cut it to 28-14 by halftime, but the Rockets pulled away in the third and fourth quarters.

Maria Stein Marion Local, also from the MAC, will go after the Division VII crown Saturday morning vs. Lucas.

Marion Local beat my Lucas Cubs . I'm still proud of the Cubs. When I went there we were the smallest school in the state to have football....Wait till next year. !

Legend
Legend
Clyde did it! This is a cool story:

CANTON — The Clyde Fliers dominated the second half Saturday and rolled to a 42-14 win over Licking Valley in the Division IV state championship game.

Gunner Golden ran for 114 yards and four touchdowns at Tom Benson Hall of Fame Stadium, and Ryan Lozier ran for 81 yards and two TDs.

Leading 14-7, Chevon Bulger intercepted Licking Valley quarterback Logan Bragg on the first drive of the second half, and the Panthers didn’t score again until late in the game.

This is Clyde’s second state football championship in school history. The first came in 1995, when Clyde coach Ryan Carter watched that game from the stands. On Saturday, he led his alma matter back to a championship.

In the process the Fliers became only the second No. 8 seed to win a state football title. Clyde, which finished 11-4, defeated three No. 1 seeds in the playoffs.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
TTTDawg Offline OP
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: jfanent
Clyde did it! This is a cool story:

CANTON — The Clyde Fliers dominated the second half Saturday and rolled to a 42-14 win over Licking Valley in the Division IV state championship game.

Gunner Golden ran for 114 yards and four touchdowns at Tom Benson Hall of Fame Stadium, and Ryan Lozier ran for 81 yards and two TDs.

Leading 14-7, Chevon Bulger intercepted Licking Valley quarterback Logan Bragg on the first drive of the second half, and the Panthers didn’t score again until late in the game.

This is Clyde’s second state football championship in school history. The first came in 1995, when Clyde coach Ryan Carter watched that game from the stands. On Saturday, he led his alma matter back to a championship.

In the process the Fliers became only the second No. 8 seed to win a state football title. Clyde, which finished 11-4, defeated three No. 1 seeds in the playoffs.

Was just gonna post it.

Went into the playoffs with 4 losses. They no doubt looked at the 4 reg season losses via the rear view mirror.

TTTDawg Offline OP
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
Next up and final game of 2019.....2 stalwarts in Ohio HS Football. Kirtland vs Ironton at 8p tonight!!!

TTTDawg Offline OP
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
Kirtland 17
Ironton 7

Kirtland Hornets beat Ironton Tigers, bring home state championship

CANTON, Ohio (WJW) — The Kirtland Hornets for the first time have claimed back-to-back state titles after beating the Ironton Tigers in the Division 5 state championship game. (17-7)

Kirtland took their opening possession right down the field, and Mason Sullivan caps it off with an incredible run to the end zone.

Right before the half, Ironton was looking to cut the Kirtland lead to 3, but the Hornets defense came up with a huge goal line stand to keep them off the board and make it 10-0 at the half.

In the third quarter, Liam Powers finds Gage Sullivan on the 18-yard touchdwon pass and Kirtland holds off Ironton to win the game.

This is the team’s fifth state title and second straight perfect season.

https://fox8.com/2019/12/07/kirtland-hornets-beat-ironton-bring-home-state-championship/

DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Tailgate Forum Ohio High School Football Semi's Results and Finals Pairings

Link Copied to Clipboard