Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
DCDAWGFAN #1710790 12/24/19 12:10 PM
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Quote:
Fundamentally, you have the NFLs leading rusher in the backfield, a second great runner standing beside him.. it's 3rd and 1 at an important moment in the game.. your offense has been struggling to sustain drives.. you call a play to get the first down. That's it, it's pretty much that simple. If your 6'2" guard steals the ball in basketball and is going to the hoop as time expires to win the game, he shouldn't try a 360 windmill dunk that he has never actually executed before.. just make the play. Freddie has been outthinking himself all year on plays where the simplest answer is the one he should have chosen.

As for the play itself, it's not that nobody blocked the guy, there was nobody on that side of the field to attempt to block the guy. That's poor play design. Not only that, let's say the guy does get blocked, Jarvis Landry had moved exactly zero yards downfield as the primary receiver you say was open. The defender was literally standing 2 yards in front of him. Even if the play "works" it's a 2 yard gain at best.
I would like to add to this if I may, DC.

Iron sharpens Iron. So, in practice we are running this play and its probably working. You see, our defense has been and is garbage right now. So if we are running this play against our own defense and its working - we think its a good play.

Then we get into the game, against a real defense - and the play gets blown up because as you stated already, its poorly designed from the start.

that fact is covered up because it probably worked against our def.

DCDAWGFAN #1710824 12/24/19 02:31 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: DCDAWGFAN

As for the play itself, it's not that nobody blocked the guy, there was nobody on that side of the field to attempt to block the guy. That's poor play design. Not only that, let's say the guy does get blocked, Jarvis Landry had moved exactly zero yards downfield as the primary receiver you say was open. The defender was literally standing 2 yards in front of him. Even if the play "works" it's a 2 yard gain at best.

What is our success rate on "trick plays" this year? 1 in 5?

The problem with your analysis is that Landry was the decoy. The TE was the intended target.

A corner blitz from that side was about the worst possible thing the Ravens could have called from our perspective against that trick play. Don't give a "the Ravens knew it was coming", either. We'd never shown the play.

If the pass was incomplete, the plan was to go for it on 4th down and short. Unfortunately, Hunt couldn't get rid of the ball and we lost yards.

Sometimes they just get you.

Could Baker have faked the pitch and thrown it himself if he saw the corner blitz? Maybe.

Our adjustments at the line need to improve. Is that because of Baker? If so, is that because of Lindley?

Is it because the process of getting plays in is too slow? If so, what is the process? Is Monken giving input to Freddie who is calling the plays?

Is it a mixture of a lot of things?

What perfect complete coaching staff is available that will have everything working perfectly immediately?

I'm pretty sure it doesn't exist.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
jfanent #1710831 12/24/19 03:00 PM
S
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
S
Quote:
None of the other coaches got to face a steeler team missing every one of their offensive weapons and a bungle team picking first in the draft.

We have been beaten by many Steeler teams playing a back up. Plus, they were not missing defensive players.

"The Elf is killing the Curse"
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Steubenvillian
Quote:
None of the other coaches got to face a steeler team missing every one of their offensive weapons and a bungle team picking first in the draft.

We have been beaten by many Steeler teams playing a back up. Plus, they were not missing defensive players.

If you want to take something positive out of only splitting the series with this depleted steeler team, have at it. I see it as a failure.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
DCDAWGFAN #1710859 12/24/19 05:58 PM
H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
"Fundamentally, you have the NFLs leading rusher in the backfield, a second great runner standing beside him.. it's 3rd and 1 at an important moment in the game.. your offense has been struggling to sustain drives.. you call a play to get the first down. That's it, it's pretty much that simple. If your 6'2" guard steals the ball in basketball and is going to the hoop as time expires to win the game, he shouldn't try a 360 windmill dunk that he has never actually executed before.. just make the play. Freddie has been out thinking himself all year on plays where the simplest answer is the one he should have chosen.'

I think a lot of it comes down to our Red Zone success last year. We were getting touchdowns on trick plays. Landry throwing the ball to Mayfield, end arounds, Statue of Liberty plays. Last year, we surprised people because Hue was actually pretty conservative in the Red Zone, Freddie was not. After people realized that Freddie was going to call plays by the seat of his pants, other teams began to prepare.

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.

The Cleveland Browns - WE KNOW QUARTERBACKS ( Look at how many we've had ... )
Halfback32 #1710865 12/24/19 06:27 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Halfback32
Freddie has been out thinking himself all year on plays where the simplest answer is the one he should have chosen

That pretty much sums it up

Joe Thomas #73
Bull_Dawg #1710870 12/24/19 07:09 PM
D
Legend
Legend
D
Quote:
A corner blitz from that side was about the worst possible thing the Ravens could have called from our perspective against that trick play. Don't give a "the Ravens knew it was coming", either. We'd never shown the play.

The Ravens have blitzed 54.3% of the time this season; more than half the time. (I think the TV announcer said they blitzed 60% of the time this season.) Point being, it should have been anticipated that they might very well blitz on that ill-considered play.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2019/opp.htm

BADdog #1710914 12/25/19 04:10 AM
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: BADdog
Originally Posted By: Halfback32
Freddie has been out thinking himself all year on plays where the simplest answer is the one he should have chosen

That pretty much sums it up

Freddie isn't the only one who does that. That seems to be fairly common in football. They make the draft process too complicated, they make game plans too complicated.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Dave #1710920 12/25/19 08:41 AM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Dave
Quote:

The Ravens have blitzed 54.3% of the time this season; more than half the time. (I think the TV announcer said they blitzed 60% of the time this season.) Point being, it should have been anticipated that they might very well blitz on that ill-considered play.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2019/opp.htm

There are different kinds of blitzes. Just about any version other than the corner to the side the pitch was going wouldn't have been so bad.

In short yardage, Freddie probably expected it inside, leaving a hole in the middle behind it.

Fiercely Independent.
Bull_Dawg #1710936 12/25/19 11:03 AM
Legend
Legend
Quote:
In short yardage, Freddie probably expected it inside, leaving a hole in the middle behind it.

What Freddie expects and what actually happens are usually not one and the same. He just won a bucket of coal on ESPN for the 3 most horrible sport performances in 2019.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
jfanent #1711015 12/25/19 05:15 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: jfanent
Quote:

What Freddie expects and what actually happens are usually not one and the same. He just won a bucket of coal on ESPN for the 3 most horrible sport performances in 2019.

When exactly did the focus shift from the OL to Freddie? Why?

I understand some of the blame goes to Freddie, but I feel like the OL affected Freddie more than Freddie affected the OL.

Fiercely Independent.
Bull_Dawg #1711024 12/25/19 06:30 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I don't know that our o-line was much worse this year than last year. But last year we ran designed rollouts with a moving pocket and did other things to help it out. I don't see those things this year. I have not seen all of every game but I have yet to see one moving pocket.

People who lack accountability think everything is an attack
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Keith, I see what you are saying even though I'm coming down more on DC's viewpoint.

But let's say it is primarily an execution issue...

... was the play set up properly by previous plays (think playaction off of runs)

... are the players not putting forth the effort?
... do the players have the skills and ability to execute the play to begin with?

So at what point as a play caller do you take an honest look at what your line is capable of and design/call plays that they ARE able to execute?

Look, we aren't very good on short, goal line yardage. But there's a huge leap between lining up 3 TE's with Chubb and Hunt in the backfield and running a play action off of the threat of the run versus completely ceding to the opponent and going empty backfield.

Has anyone else noticed the lack of talk about player input on the game plan? Maybe it's still there, but there I haven't heard any talk of collaboration between players and coaches, coaches and coaches like we did last year.

"Hey, I'm a reasonable guy. But I've just experienced some very unreasonable things."
-Jack Burton

-It looks like the Harvard Boys know what they are doing after all.
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2019 NFL Season Looking Back: Browns 15 Ravens 31 Post game

Link Copied to Clipboard