Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1716810 01/05/20 11:01 AM
Legend
OP Offline
Legend

Part of the equation in finding a Head Coach and GM is who are the NFL team competitors?

The Giants, Panthers, and Cowboys.

We know about the "list."

Let's say McCarthy is our top candidate and teams offer him the job. Or, for that matter it goes for any candidate.

Who would they select and why?

Well let's see the Cowboys won eight games. Browns six, Panthers five, Giants four.

Owners - Haslam, Jerry Jones, David Tepper, John Mara.

Quarterbacks - Mayfield, Dak Prescott, Cam Newton, Daniel Jones.

Cap Space:

Browns - $52.2
Cowboys - $82
Panthers - $27
Giants - $69.5

Team offensive ranking:

Browns - 22nd
Cowboys - 1st
Panthers - 19th
Giants - 23rd

Team defensive ranking:

Browns - 22nd
Cowboys - 9th
Panthers - 23rd
Giants - 25th
=====================================================

Based upon those factors the Cowboys look like the best opportunity.

followed by:

Giants
Browns
Panthers

That order can be argued. A case can be made for second, third or fourth place. The last three are pretty close. You have to get into the full roster and that will change some during the off season.

If it were me based upon the opportunities I would select the Cowboys. Jerry Jones is a hands on owner. He seems to a part of their problem. As GM he has assembled talent. Has managed the cap. Been loyal. But he has not been able to get over the hump and accomplish the goal.

John Mara comes from football family dynasty of three generations. Stable team with obviously a high profile. He puts people in charge and lets them run the team.

David Tepper is a former hedge fund manager who bought the Panthers in 2018. In 2009 he bought 5% of the Steelers. New guy trying to put his stamp on the team.

Jimmy Haslam.
===================================================

The Giants are viewed as a team that most candidates would think highly of. How the team is viewed at this point is debatable.

The Browns roster I would think would be attractive. Views of Mayfield? I believe most of the candidates see his potential. But that can be questioned.

Cam Newton? He has been hurt. And full recovery is questionable. He is on the trade market.

Daniel Jones? Honestly I have not seen enough to even have an opinion on him. He played a part of one season.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Arguments could be made that he would avoid the Cowboys because Garrett was maximizing his team's overall potential. Kitchens was a bumbling moron who found every reason to lose a game and was Garrets yang.

Quite honestly, we won our 6 games based on talent alone. If we had a good coach, we should have won at least 10 and we would have beat NE yesterday.

Waiting for the day my name will mean something
Legend
OP Offline
Legend

Lots of factors to consider.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
How about weather?

Is it a factor?

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: devicedawg
How about weather?

Is it a factor?

I'd choose the Panthers when I figure that in!

D
Legend
Legend
D
Panthers, gnats, browns, cowgirls ...

My first criteria would be ownership ...

The panthers, gnats are about equal so no advantage between them ....

The thief and JJ are at the very bottom of the list with Snyder and only shot i take a job with them is if its my only choice ...

I think its been proven over the years ... if OWNERSHIP stinks nothing else really matters ... thats not even debatable ...

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
.. " thats not even debatable ..."

OK , Then I will not ! lol

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: bonefish

Lots of factors to consider.

And worthy of note is draft position. The Giants are picking #4, I believe...

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
Legend
Legend
IMO:

1. Cowboys
2. Giants
3. Browns
4. Panthers

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Didn't the Panthers just gret a new owner? How do we know he's not the next Jerry Jones or Dan Snyder?

Not saying he is, but we really don't know much about him as owner except he just fired Riverboat Ron.

D
Legend
Legend
D
Oh ya .... sexual harasser had to sell the team ...

So that means the Panthers are in 2nd as an unknown owner .... that’s still better than the thief and Jerry ...

Were now ahead of Jerry ... what he’s doing now with Garrett is sad ... it makes no sense ....

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Separately... How in the holy hell did the Cowboys have the #1 offense and #9 defense as an NFC east team and manage to miss the playoffs. Wow. I had no idea they were ranked so high.

"Team Chemistry No Match for Team Biology" (Onion Sports Headline)
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: 10YrOvernightSuccess
Separately... How in the holy hell did the Cowboys have the #1 offense and #9 defense as an NFC east team and manage to miss the playoffs. Wow. I had no idea they were ranked so high.

It was their crappy GM.

#GMSTRONG
Legend
OP Offline
Legend

Must be the reason why Garrett is being shown the door.

They have talent. Like the Browns every time the "Big game" has come. A must game to take control of the division they failed.

And that has been the case for quite some time.

V
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
V
I have been thinking about this.

Desirable locations: Dallas, Carolina

Roster: Dallas, Cleveland

Ownership / Command structure: NYG has Gettleman still in the picture and I think Haslam has made some terrible hires but it is not because he is cheap nor uncaring i.e. Randy Lerner. It does seem that the next coach will be calling the shots unlike Dallas and probably the NY Giants.

End of the day I don't get the NY hype. I have worked in NYC for years and think the New York as a premier destination is a manifest of NY sports media.

So ..IMO Dallas,Cleveland, Carolina and then NY. I could easily see the Carolina job being better than Cleveland. Just think Cleveland's roster is a bit better.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Dont underestimate what family means to these guys. A good portion of them have youngsters so schools, crime and things to do while dad works 24 hours a day come into play. Older guys not so much. We need to consider the whole package.

Still, in the end for the man himself, roster is top on the list. How fast can I get this thing up, running and winning?

I'm anxious to hear what McDaniels didn't know and then learned about Luck. It needs to be told.

BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
From the outside looking in, I would not even grant an interview to Jimmy Haslam. The Browns would be dead last for me.

Legend
OP Offline
Legend

The pressure to win is intense.

But I do believe the prospect has to feel he can trust the owner. Especially when the owner is hands on. Jerry Jones is a exception in that regard.

Just read his interest is only seasoned head coaches not coordinators. Marvin Lewis and McCarthy are guys who have interviewed.

They have talent. Have cap space. Jones doesn't fire guys after one season.

Carolina is a unknown. But they have issues. Cam on the block. Bad cap space.

The Giants? High profile but not for everyone. Some guys are not into NY at all.

Browns have talent. I think any prospective candidate would look at our roster and feel good. We are ok in cap space. Have a high draft pick.

Haslam can be impressive on a first meeting. He can sell the opportunity. The problem is a reputation of not being trust worthy. That is a big problem. That and the chain of command leads to him.

The head coach gets say in the GM is important. That is critical for success. The two positions depend upon each other. They have to be in sync. They have to view players in the same light. Know how players fit schemes.

The prospect who likes our roster, has a handle on who would be a good GM, and who feels comfortable with Haslam. That guy will have a edge if he can sway Haslam.

At this point today based upon the factors listed McCarthy fits. My question is will he want the job in Cleveland?

Legend
Legend
Dallas off the board ...

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
OP Offline
Legend

Like I figured.

No brainer really.

So now back to guys who are unproven.

Not a good deal for the Browns.

Stefanski is the only guy left that seems ok.

The rest I have major doubts about.

My guess is McDaniels if he doesn't take another position.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Not only is McDaniels my guess but also my fear.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
C
Legend
Legend
C
The Cowboys were the clear number one team available. The owner doesn't have a quick trigger, they pay better than everyone, and they have tons of talent. It wasn't really much of a choice.

Because of the Haslams I'd take the Giants over the Browns but it's close. Gettleman being involved throws everything off because he's a goof. The owners have fired the last two coaches quickly but are respected in the league.

Legend
Legend
I’d also take the giants, basically because of ownership and QB

Legend
OP Offline
Legend

Mine as well.

He has valuable experience. But I don't see head coach material.

He may be fine as a coordinator. I don't believe he has the necessary leadership qualities.

When he was in Denver word was he alienated everyone. He seems like the type.

I have nothing to base it upon though other than hearsay.

Maybe he has matured and learned from the Denver experience. But somehow I don't think you can change who you are.

P
Legend
Legend
P
That's my concern as well. It's hard for someone to do a complete personality makeover.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
OP Offline
Legend

cfrs sent me this article.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2666...-pick-his-spots

Very interesting.

Maybe he is a better version of himself.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Thom McDaniels was a great coach and a good man.

DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Ranking the Opportunities

Link Copied to Clipboard