Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted By: MemphisBrownie
Originally Posted By: cfrs15
Cutting Olivier Vernon would be a huge mistake.

Agreed. Unless we get his replacement beforehand. If so, cutting him would cost us nothing. In a perfect world, I hope we restructure his contract. His missed games per season has increased the last three seasons. That's not a good trajectory, IMO.
Look to restructure, but I doubt he goes for it. We're not in trouble with the cap, take it as a learning opportunity. I don't see our current group giving lots of money to an older, injury-prone guy like Vernon.

The sell order on Hunt is stupid, especially now with a looming suspension. What team is going to give us anything for him? We swindled the Texans in the Duke trade, and Hunt (despite being more talented) will be harder to find a suitor for. Keep him on his cheap deal and let him feel the consequences of his actions. Get him help, as well. He clearly needs it.

Damarious Randall - I'm torn on him. I think the change of scenery will do him wonders. He thrived here at one point before and I think it can happen again. We have nobody that step into his role, so I hope we try to keep him.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
j/c

I'd like to keep Vernon...but not at $15 mil...same with Shobert;

I'd still tender Hunt at Rd 2 (previously Rd 1 before latest screw-up)...maybe tender him at his draft slot...3rd (is that a thing)?

Randall's change of scenery can occur in Berea...lots of new coaches and the drama being canned...I think he will think he's worth more than does the FO;

I would absolutely sign Higgins;

Hubbard? No. Unless Callahan thinks he can play RG

C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: oobernoober
Damarious Randall - I'm torn on him. I think the change of scenery will do him wonders. He thrived here at one point before and I think it can happen again. We have nobody that step into his role, so I hope we try to keep him.

Addressing the safety position should be a high priority this off-season. Damarious Randall, Juston Burris, and Eric Murray are all unrestricted free agents this off-season. That leaves Sheldrick Redwine (Redwine wasn't horrible as a rookie forced into playing time, hopefully he takes a big step forward) and J.T. Hassell as the only safeties currently on the roster.

Randall was a bit of a headcase in 2019 but it's hard to know what was real with Kitchens as the head coach. Towards the end of the season it felt like the whole team was melting down. I would call Randall an average to above-average starting safety in the league. He is clearly worse than guys like Earl Thomas, Tyrann Mathieu, Eddie Jackson, Jamal Adams, etc. Going into the season I might've said that the franchise tag would be an option for Randall after the season but paying him around $12,735,000 (the projected salary for a safety who is franchise tagged) seems unwise given his uneven play in 2019.

On top of all that, as of right now, it's a pretty deep safety class in free agency. Justin Simmons and Anthony Harris are going to get a ton of money but there are also guys like Tre Boston (who a bunch of us were begging the team to sign all off-season and who also ended up with a higher PFF grade than Randall while playing 100% of his team's snaps), Rodney McLeod, Ha-Ha Clinton-Dix, and Karl Joseph. That's the range of salary and talent level Randall is in. I'd guess those guys end up getting $10M-$15M guaranteed. Also, a lot of this depends on what the new defensive coordinator will want to do (obviously). Losing Randall would not be a huge blow because I don't know how good he is, but his spot would need to be filled in immediately by a non-rookie.

The guy that I like that is a free agent and played for us last season is Juston Burris. He ended up grading out similarly to Randall (69.5 for Burris, 69.3 for Randall (double nice)) but he has bounced around the league a bunch and I bet we can get him on a decent contract.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: WSU Willie
I'd still tender Hunt at Rd 2 (previously Rd 1 before latest screw-up)...maybe tender him at his draft slot...3rd (is that a thing)?

That is a thing.

Legend
Legend
Vernon is in the last year of his deal. Simply rework it to give him his full salary for this year as a signing bonus, plus $5 million per year salary. We actually save a couple of million on the cap this year while extending him another year.

Scho.... pay him, but not Khalil Mack money, of course. He's a solid, above average MLB and deserves to be paid like one. Also, look to draft kids to groom behind him.

Higgins absolutely should be signed, if the bridges aren't burnt.... which, I have to think with everything turning over, there's a chance of that working out.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Keep Schobert and draft or trade for more linebackers.

Keep Randall and find another safety.

Draft or trade for OL.

E
Legend
Legend
E
The guy chose to “take time away from football.” He drank a lot.

you do realize we got rid of Manziel a long time ago. Your portrayal of Baker being a drunk and not putting his nose to the grind is unfounded. Please set me straight and I will apologize but the guy is not a drunk he got married for crying out loud which pretty much eliminated a lot of party time. He has ALWAYS been a hard worker and still is....where are you getting this stuff more important why are you making this stuff up? Again prove what you state please. ??? Did I miss something???

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Legend
Legend
I think these are great targets for keepers, and the Vernon scenario is generous, fair, and should be attractive. Sweeten these with some escalators if needed. But I want Scho here with help. And I have a hunch that the new coach might really unleash Higgy. I am hungry to see a real offense after The Freddy offense flop. Stats without enough wins.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Legend
Legend
Yeah, that's where I just stopped reading lol.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
Legend
Legend
What to do with Kareem Hunt? Calling plays? Hating analytics? Let’s talk Cleveland Browns

https://www.cleveland.com/browns/2020/02...and-browns.html

By Terry Pluto, The Plain Dealer
TALKING TO MYSELF ABOUT KAREEM HUNT

QUESTION: What should the Browns do about Kareem Hunt?

ANSWER: Let’s start with Hunt being stopped by police for driving 77 mph in a 60-mph zone. The concern was a small amount of marijuana in the car and in Hunt’s Browns backpack. He also had a bottle of vodka.

Q: Was he charged with driving while impaired?

A: No, just for speeding, along with a warning from the officer. Hunt admitted he would have failed a drug test if the NFL had brought him in. This is really not about marijuana. It is about how Hunt was suspended for eight games to open the 2019 season because video surfaced of him kicking a woman. The NFL is watching him closely.

Q: Are you going hard-line on this?

A: I like Hunt far more than Josh Gordon, who could never keep his stories straight. I love how Hunt played for the Browns last season. Not simply because he was productive, but his unselfish attitude was a real asset. He knew the plays. He bonded with fellow running back Nick Chubb. The Browns need to keep working with him.

Q: But...

A: But Hunt has had some other off-field issues, including one in Put-in-Bay and another in Kansas City. Alcohol was involved each time. Not saying he was drunk, it happened in places where people were drinking. And not everyone will have his best interest at heart in those places.

Q: Do you think the NFL will suspend him?

A: Based on this incident, I doubt it. But he’s going to be drug-tested more often. He has to be very careful.

Q: What about Hunt saying, “I should have been playing in the Super Bowl" when talking to the officer?

A: He’s right. Had he stayed out of trouble in Kansas City, he’d be in the Super Bowl on Sunday with the Chiefs. He also should be thankful Browns ownership and former general manager John Dorsey gave him a chance to rebuild his career in his hometown.

Q: What should the Browns do?

A: New GM Andrew Berry and coach Kevin Stefanski need to set up a couple of meetings with Hunt. The 24-year-old running back has been receiving counseling through the team, and they need to see if something else can be done.

Q: So you want the Browns to keep him?

A: Based on what is known, of course. But he can’t fall into the trap of “it’s the off-season... sorry... I was having a good time” as he told the officer. When a player has Hunt’s background, every day is the same... it’s a day to be careful and don’t put yourself, your family or your team in jeopardy with actions that could crush your career.

ABOUT HATING ANALYTICS

Former Green Bay Packers GM Ron Wolf took a major shot at the Browns and other analytic-driven front offices in the NFL.

The 81-year-old Wolf was a superb executive. He probably used his own form of analytics when running the Packers back in his prime. They were stats telling a story.

ESPN’s Chris Mortensen tweeted analytics are “out of control” in some NFL front offices, according to Wolf. His son, former assistant GM Eliot Wolf, left the Browns this week, not long after Dorsey was fired.

The analytics-friendly front office of Chief Operating Officer Paul DePodesta and Berry are running the show with Stefanski.

Wolf can question analytics, and there is a healthy debate about how much they should be used.

But Wolf is dead wrong when he said, “When something goes wrong, who takes responsibility? Their answer is ‘that’s what the data told us.’ What a crock. That’s what got them 1-31."

Wolf meant the Browns 1-31 record in the two years of V.P. Sashi Brown running the team (2016-17). And Brown “took responsibility” as he was fired 23 months into his new job – replaced by Dorsey.

It doesn’t matter if the front office leans more in the scouting direction (Dorsey) or analytics (Brown). Don’t worry about someone escaping blame. Not in Cleveland. The next GM to survive three years under this ownership will be the first.

I’m hoping Berry/Stefanski take the best of both worlds... scouting and analytics. No matter what Bill Belichick says, New England does that. Baltimore does more with analytics than most fans realize.

A concern is that the key members of Dorsey’s front office are gone: assistant GMs Alonzo Highsmith and Eliot Wolf, along with college scouting director Steve Malin.

Just as Stefanski is hustling to assemble a coaching staff, Berry has to do the same in the front office.

Bottom line: It’s silly for analytics-types to ignore old-school scouts, just as it’s foolish for the traditional GM to dismiss what Ron Wolf calls “data.” A key is not only knowing the difference between a good player and a bad player – but also the difference between meaningful stats vs. arcane, confusing numbers.

ABOUT CALLING PLAYS

The Browns have hired Alex Van Pelt as their new offensive coordinator.

Because Stefanski left open the possibility of not calling plays at his introductory press conference, some are assuming Van Pelt will call plays.

Not so fast... at least that’s what I heard.

Van Pelt’s main area of expertise is as a QB coach. He was especially close to Aaron Rodgers in Green Bay. The only time Van Pelt called plays was with the Buffalo Bills in 2009.

Stefanski has already installed new Browns offensive line coach Bill Callahan in the next office. Callahan has been a head coach with the Oakland Raiders (2002-03) and at Nebraska (2004-2007). He was Washington’s interim head coach for the final 11 games of 2019.

Callahan may emerge as the most influential member of Stefanski’s coaching staff. The Browns need a respected QB coach to deal with Baker Mayfield, and that’s where Van Pelt can help. He did so with a very bright and strong-willed Rodgers in Green Bay.

On offense, the Browns need to bolster the line and then figure out how to squeeze the best out of Mayfield, not only in terms of calling the right plays, but also the proper game preparation.

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
Legend
Legend

Good article by Pluto.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: bonefish

Good article by Pluto.
Pluto's articles usually are good.

1. #GMstrong
2. "I'm just trying to be the best Nick I can be." ~ Nick Chubb
3. Forgive me Elf, I didn’t have faith. ~ Tulsa