Print Thread
#1721631 01/15/20 10:54 AM
D
Dave Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
D
Former Browns, Ravens owner Art Modell left off Pro Football Hall of Fame’s Centennial Slate

Today 9:46AM

https://www.cleveland.com/browns/2020/01...nial-slate.html

Last edited by Dave; 01/15/20 11:01 AM.
Dave #1721632 01/15/20 10:55 AM
D
Dave Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
D
Works for me. thumbsup

Dave #1721633 01/15/20 10:59 AM
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
All is right in the world. Mostly.

[Linked Image]
Dave #1721634 01/15/20 11:02 AM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
And justice is served !

Dave #1721635 01/15/20 11:06 AM
Legend
Legend
Good

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Dave #1721671 01/15/20 01:28 PM
Legend
Legend
Eat a crap sandwich art.

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
Dave #1721710 01/15/20 02:29 PM
B
Legend
Legend
B
I think it better to forgive and forget.

I think he deserves to be in the HOF.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
D
Dave Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen

Two separate issues, IMO. I never wished ill on the Modell family. I just don't think he deserves the sport's highest honor. As owners go, he's JAG. I could even argue that through sheer incompetence he somehow owned an NFL franchise and still managed to lose money. When the Art Modells of the world start making the pro football HOF, who doesn't?

Dave #1721722 01/15/20 03:17 PM
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Fired Paul Brown. Fired Bill Belichick. Lost money operating an NFL franchise. Moved the Browns to Baltimore. Cleveland now stuck with Haslam. Suck a big one Art.

The Browns finally have a leader in the building. It won't be long before Jim Schwartz is in charge. Thankfully.
Dave #1721728 01/15/20 03:32 PM
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Dave

Two separate issues, IMO. I never wished ill on the Modell family. I just don't think he deserves the sport's highest honor. As owners go, he's JAG. I could even argue that through sheer incompetence he somehow owned an NFL franchise and still managed to lose money. When the Art Modells of the world start making the pro football HOF, who doesn't?

Clay Matthews

#GMSTRONG
D
Dave Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
D
That would have been a hard pill for me to swallow if Modell was enshrined in a year that Clay was overlooked again.

D
Dave Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: The Beast
Fired Paul Brown. Fired Bill Belichick. Lost money operating an NFL franchise. Moved the Browns to Baltimore. Cleveland now stuck with Haslam. Suck a big one Art.

Don't forget backing Jim Brown into a corner when Brown was going to be late for training camp due to delays in shooting "The Dirty Dozen". He was 29, and still in his prime, but instead of reaching some kind of accomodation with him, Modell chose to fine him $1000 per day that he missed - big money in those days. Jim Brown wasn't the type to back down to that kind of tactic. He retired and walked away while arguably having 3-4 more good years in him.

Dave #1721837 01/15/20 09:05 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Good.

Dave #1721850 01/15/20 10:18 PM
L
Legend
Legend
L
Awesome news!

Can’t forgive, can’t forget.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
Dave #1721854 01/15/20 10:37 PM
I
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I
Art Modell had flaws as a owner.
But I think to cast him as the lone villain in the move to Baltimore is more indicative on people thinking with their emotions rather than mind.
Art Modell was a better owner than Jimmy Haslam.
Art put winning over making money

Dave #1721855 01/15/20 10:42 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Jump Art Jump.

SaintDawg™

Football, baseball, basketball, wine, women, walleye
Dave #1721856 01/15/20 10:47 PM
Legend
Legend
Good.. screw art...

<><

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
I believe, as my friends all know well,
There exists both a Heaven and Hell.
And I'm sure there's a spot
In 'that place that is hot'
Being taken by Arthur Modell.

Better he's immortalized in Hell than in Canton.
Rest in Pieces.

"too many notes, not enough music-"
Dave #1721944 01/16/20 11:27 AM
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
J/C

I cant stand Grossi, but he has been a big factor to keeping Art out. He argues each and every year against it to his peers. Gotta give him cred for that.

D
Dave Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: willitevachange
J/C

I cant stand Grossi, but he has been a big factor to keeping Art out. He argues each and every year against it to his peers. Gotta give him cred for that.

Its true that Grossi played a large part in past attempts to enshrine Modell, but he didn't have a vote this time. See below ...

The Centennial Slate Blue-Ribbon Panel is comprised of many members of the overall Selection Committee in addition to Hall of Famers, coaches, football executives and several leading historians. They include:

•Bill Belichick – New England Patriots Head Coach
•Jarrett Bell – Hall of Fame Selector, USA Today
•Gil Brandt &#61655; – Pro Football Hall of Fame Contributor
•Joel Bussert – Former NFL Executive, Pro Football Historian
•John Clayton – Hall of Fame Selector, The Washington Post
•Frank Cooney – Hall of Fame Selector, Sports Xchange
•John Czarnecki – Hall of Fame Selector, FOX Sports
•Rick Gosselin – Hall of Fame Selector, Talk of Fame Network
•Elliot Harrison – Pro Football Historian and Long-time TV Analyst
•Joe Horrigan – Retired Pro Football Hall of Fame Executive Director, Football Historian
•Ira Kaufman – Hall of Fame Selector, JoeBucsFan.com
•Dick LeBeau – Pro Football Hall of Fame Cornerback, Longtime NFL coach
•Jeff Legwold – Hall of Fame Selector, ESPN/ESPN.com
•John Madden &#61655; – Pro Football Hall of Fame Coach
•John McClain – Hall of Fame Selector, Houston Chronicle
•Gary Myers – Hall of Fame Selector, The Athletic
•Ozzie Newsome &#61655; – Pro Football Hall of Fame Tight End, EVP Baltimore Ravens
•Sal Paolantonio – Hall of Fame Selector, Senior National Correspondent – ESPN
•Carl Peterson – Longtime Pro Football Executive
•Bill Polian &#61655; – Pro Football Hall of Fame Contributor
•Dan Pompei – Hall of Fame Selector, The Athletic
•Charean Williams – Hall of Fame Selector, Pro Football Talk
•Chris Willis – Producer-Head of Research Library - NFL Films, Football Historian
•Barry Wilner – Hall of Fame Selector, Associated Press
•Ron Wolf &#61655; – Pro Football Hall of Fame Contributor

https://www.profootballhof.com/blue-ribb...2020-in-canton/

From what I have heard and read, Bill Belichick was one of the voices against Modell making the hall this time.

Dave #1721950 01/16/20 11:44 AM
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
I don't believe he had a vote - but he most def campaigns actively against him.

P
Legend
Legend
P

When someone jabs a stick in your eye it's not as easy as you wish to make it sound.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Dave #1721962 01/16/20 12:19 PM
O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted By: Dave
Originally Posted By: willitevachange
J/C

Its true that Grossi played a large part in past attempts to enshrine Modell, but he didn't have a vote this time. See below ...

The Centennial Slate Blue-Ribbon Panel is comprised of many members of the overall Selection Committee in addition to Hall of Famers, coaches, football executives and several leading historians. They include:

•Bill Belichick – New England Patriots Head Coach
•Jarrett Bell – Hall of Fame Selector, USA Today
•Gil Brandt &#61655; – Pro Football Hall of Fame Contributor
•Joel Bussert – Former NFL Executive, Pro Football Historian
•John Clayton – Hall of Fame Selector, The Washington Post
•Frank Cooney – Hall of Fame Selector, Sports Xchange
•John Czarnecki – Hall of Fame Selector, FOX Sports
•Rick Gosselin – Hall of Fame Selector, Talk of Fame Network
•Elliot Harrison – Pro Football Historian and Long-time TV Analyst
•Joe Horrigan – Retired Pro Football Hall of Fame Executive Director, Football Historian
•Ira Kaufman – Hall of Fame Selector, JoeBucsFan.com
•Dick LeBeau – Pro Football Hall of Fame Cornerback, Longtime NFL coach
•Jeff Legwold – Hall of Fame Selector, ESPN/ESPN.com
•John Madden &#61655; – Pro Football Hall of Fame Coach
•John McClain – Hall of Fame Selector, Houston Chronicle
•Gary Myers – Hall of Fame Selector, The Athletic
•Ozzie Newsome &#61655; – Pro Football Hall of Fame Tight End, EVP Baltimore Ravens
•Sal Paolantonio – Hall of Fame Selector, Senior National Correspondent – ESPN
•Carl Peterson – Longtime Pro Football Executive
•Bill Polian &#61655; – Pro Football Hall of Fame Contributor
•Dan Pompei – Hall of Fame Selector, The Athletic
•Charean Williams – Hall of Fame Selector, Pro Football Talk
•Chris Willis – Producer-Head of Research Library - NFL Films, Football Historian
•Barry Wilner – Hall of Fame Selector, Associated Press
•Ron Wolf &#61655; – Pro Football Hall of Fame Contributor

https://www.profootballhof.com/blue-ribb...2020-in-canton/

From what I have heard and read, Bill Belichick was one of the voices against Modell making the hall this time.

I wonder if Ozzie tried to cancel his voice out.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Dave #1721964 01/16/20 12:21 PM
Legend
Legend

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG

When someone jabs a stick in your eye it's not as easy as you wish to make it sound.

Anybody has the power to condemn. The real power is in the ability to forgive.

Plus, I think the city screwed the pooch, more or less daring the guy to move, and he did.

When it happened, I was as furious as anyone else. Once I started looking at the facts, I was still mad. I still am, just not so much at him. Once I did that, I couldn't really blame him because I dare say I might have done the same.

I am not going to get in a debate, we have been doing that on this board, the other dawgtalkers, board, the Dark Side, and who knows what others?

I think he should be in. Not so much for what he did in Cleveland. He was pretty average at that, some might say below average. He did a lot for the NFL brand and the league, as well as the players and fans of the league, but am resolved he won't get it, at least for a long time.

That said, I am not going to lose sleep over the fact.

Just simply me voicing my opinion, the same as I have since near after the actual move. When was that, 94? 95?

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Quote:

I don't read that as the regular voters not having a vote this time around. "They include" signifies that there are others not listed.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: YTownBrownsFan
Quote:

I don't read that as the regular voters not having a vote this time around. "They include" signifies that there are others not listed.

On the list it also notes regular voters.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
P
Legend
Legend
P
The new stadium was going to be on the ballot and every indication was that the measure would pass by a large margin. He simply wanted the huge "legal bribe" that Baltimore offered that went well above and beyond a new stadium to move there.

Where we have an actual disconnect is the difference between forgiving and forgetting.

When one fails to forgive, it causes you to carry a huge burden that is neither wanted or needed. Forgiveness is a good thing.

Forgetting is something all together different. When you forget what someone has done to you, you lose the valuable lesson you should learn and open yourself up to being treated that same way again.

Forgive, but never forget.

The fact is, I never had ill will or wished for the death of Modell. That's not how I operate. At the same time, I would never wish blessings or accolades on someone who treated this fan base so terribly due more to greed than need.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
D
Dave Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
D
Quote:

While not stated boldly, this release from the Pro Football HOF indicates that the Centennial edition of Hall enshrinees will be chosen by and voted on exclusively by the "Blue Ribbon Panel". The regular HOF selection committee hasn't even met yet. They do that Super Bowl weekend.

One-Time Amendment to Selection By-Laws Approved to Elect Centennial Class Next Year

08/02/2019

The Pro Football Hall of Fame’s proposal to increase the number of Seniors, Contributors and Coaches candidates as part of a special Centennial Class of 2020 was approved by the Hall’s Board of Trustees during its annual meeting today.

The measure is intended to honor the NFL’s Centennial Celebration through a special Centennial Class that will be comprised of 20 members in 2020. The group will include five Modern-Era players, 10 Seniors (a player who has been retired for more than 25 seasons), three Contributors (an individual other than a player or coach) and two coaches.

The Hall of Fame Board passed the resolution that will suspend the Hall of Fame’s current Selection Committee By-Laws for the Class of 2020 election cycle only.

A large list of Modern-era nominees will include only players (whose careers ended less than 25 seasons ago) and will be announced next month. That list will be reduced to 25 semifinalists in November and to the 15 Finalists in early January 2020.

The Hall’s Selection Committee will then meet in Miami on “Selection Saturday,” the day before Super Bowl LIV, to discuss the merits of each Finalist. Voting will progress to a series of reduction votes that will result in the election of five Modern-Era Enshrinees.

The determination of the Seniors, Contributors and Coaches Finalists will run parallel to the Modern-Era player selection process. The Hall will assemble a special 25-person Centennial “Blue-Ribbon” panel who will review the backlog of deserving Seniors, Coaches and Contributors. The Blue-Ribbon Panel will be comprised of Hall of Fame Selectors, Pro Football Hall of Famers, media members, football historians and industry experts.

A tentative timeline for the election process by the Blue-Ribbon panel includes the compilation of a comprehensive list of nominated Seniors, Contributors and Coaches by no later than September. A reduction vote by the panel to 20 Seniors, 10 Contributors and 8 Coaches will be announced in the fall.

The special panel will then meet in person to vote for 10 Seniors, 3 Contributors and 2 Coaches. The final slate of 15 will be voted on as one singular unit by the Hall’s Selection Committee when the group meets on “Selection Saturday.” The Centennial slate will need to receive a minimum positive vote of 80 percent to earn election to the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

The Centennial Class will be formally enshrined into the Pro Football Hall of Fame during the annual Enshrinement Ceremony and the Centennial Celebration in Canton in September 2020.

https://www.profootballhof.com/one-time-...lass-next-year/

DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Tailgate Forum No HOF for Modell

Link Copied to Clipboard