Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: GratefulDawg
OC Todd Monken on what affect cutting WR Antonio Callaway has on offense: "None."

So why was he getting snaps over other receivers?

P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: cfrs15
OC Todd Monken on what affect cutting WR Antonio Callaway has on offense: "None."

So why was he getting snaps over other receivers?

I don't believe it means what people seem to think it means. It seems people wish to think of this in the most nefarious way possible but I don't believe that was the point. The word affect means to impact or change.

I don't believe cutting Calloway in any way changes our offense. I don't believe the playbook or routes our WR's run changed in any way. All that was done is change one WR for another and otherwise nothing changed.

I mean it seems people love to try and look at it in the most negative light possible. But that doesn't mean that was the intent of the comment.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
O
Legend
Legend
O
Speaking for myself... I did understand what he actually meant, but was chuckling at how it sounded. I was actually going to add to my post about Calloway getting snaps over Higgins, but decided to leave my post at humor.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
C
Legend
Legend
C
Say you are right, why was Callaway, who was not doing his job, being rewarded with playing time?

Legend
Legend
Say you are right, why was Callaway, who was not doing his job, being rewarded with playing time?

My guess is that Higgins has been hard to get along with since OBJ was signed. Out doing the dirty work during preseason while the Wonder Twins sat on the sideline made it worse. This turned into a semi-feud with coach and Freddie decided to show him who's boss. Higgins refusing to enter the Seattle game was the breaking point that put his butt firmly on the bench for the next three weeks.

It seems they kissed and made up after the Buffalo game. An embrace between the two after the game said as much.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
P
Legend
Legend
P

If we all knew what was going on behind the scenes we probably wouldn't see as many BS crazy posts on Dawgtalkers.

wink

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
R
Legend
Legend
R
Originally Posted By: FATE

My guess is that Higgins has been hard to get along with since OBJ was signed. Out doing the dirty work during preseason while the Wonder Twins sat on the sideline made it worse. This turned into a semi-feud with coach and Freddie decided to show him who's boss. Higgins refusing to enter the Seattle game was the breaking point that put his butt firmly on the bench for the next three weeks.

It seems they kissed and made up after the Buffalo game. An embrace between the two after the game said as much.

I think this is a highly plausible educated guess.

Being in a contract year has likely heightened Higgins frustration. He may even feel the team is holding him back from realizing that potential.

Legend
Legend
Former Browns wide receivers signs with XFL's Tampa Bay Vipers

https://www.news5cleveland.com/sports/br...ampa-bay-vipers

CLEVELAND — Former Cleveland Browns wide receiver Antonio Callaway has joined the XFL's Tampa Bay Vipers

Callaway was waived from the Browns last season after being suspended 10 games for violating the NFL's substance abuse policy.

He was a fourth-round pick in 2018 and appeared in four games this season.

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
Legend
Legend
Former Browns wide receivers signs with XFL's Tampa Bay Vipers

https://www.news5cleveland.com/sports/br...ampa-bay-vipers

CLEVELAND — Former Cleveland Browns wide receiver Antonio Callaway has joined the XFL's Tampa Bay Vipers

Callaway was waived from the Browns last season after being suspended 10 games for violating the NFL's substance abuse policy.

He was a fourth-round pick in 2018 and appeared in four games this season.

Sweet! He can join all his homies in FLA. I'm not sure an average salary of 55k will keep him in weed though...

I
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I
Wow that Dorsey could really draft gems in the mid RDs. He was so brillent when it came to the draft

Legend
Legend
Good luck Callaway

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
Legend
Is Canada legal for pot? By province or nationally or is the league uniformly against it?

I wish him luck elsewhere.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted By: Iluvmyxstripper
Wow that Dorsey could really draft gems in the mid RDs. He was so brillent when it came to the draft

1st round talent. 7th round head. Spent a 4th. The anti-Dorsey crusade belongs elsewhere.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Legend
Legend
Well said

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: oobernoober

1st round talent. 7th round head. Spent a 4th. The anti-Dorsey crusade belongs elsewhere.

Exactly

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Bard Dawg
Is Canada legal for pot? By province or nationally or is the league uniformly against it?

I wish him luck elsewhere.

Canada is legal, the CFL doesn't test... However, Callaway joined the XFL. They don't have MJ on the banned substance list, but Tampa Bay is in the US, so he can't just walk around blasting blunts.

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H

I'm not on an anti-Dorsey crusade, but this team did have too many '7th round heads'. Really, Callaway had an 'UDFA - low priority head', at best.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:
but this team did have too many '7th round heads'.

Including Dorsey and Kitchens. Not just the players.

Tackles are tackles.
P
Legend
Legend
P
The hate is real.

#gmstrong
D
Legend
Legend
D

Last time he did that it turned into Tyreek Hill ... I’d say its worked out well for him overall but as usual we get the short end of the stick ... thumbsup

O
Legend
Legend
O
For me, I'm fine burning a 4th and assuming the risk. It didn't work out and he was cut. Unfortunate, but I don't understand the hand-wringing over a wasted 4th rounder.

-PrplPplEater
Legend
Legend
Yeah, I’m okay with the gamble too ... it was just evident it wasn’t going to work out, even before the suspension.

Typically 4th rounders are STs or good backups anyways

D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
J/C - We have wasted far higher picks on less. Was worth the risk, draft is a crapshoot anyways.

Last edited by drobs; 01/17/20 02:03 PM.
P
Legend
Legend
P
What a waste ...

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
I
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I
Playoff Teams with solid rock front offices can
Afford to miss on a 4th RD pick
The Browns are not in a position to take gambles.

P
Legend
Legend
P
So who were the sure fire picks left in the 4th round after Calloway?

#gmstrong
BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
He's Josh Gordon lite.

O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
So who were the sure fire picks left in the 4th round after Calloway?

If it were a 2nd round pick, like with Gordon, then yeah. Can't risk it. It's a 4th, though. What special teamer would've gotten us to more wins? Was there legit LB or DL depth that would've made a difference? I honestly don't think so. Keep in mind this wasn't last year, but the year before...

-PrplPplEater
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
I think the bigger issue with drafting a guy like Callaway is bringing a guy with drug and work ethic issues into the locker room. Then when he gets busted for drugs and shows up out of shape, you dig yourself deeper by keeping and playing him over more deserving players, just based on the flashes of athletic ability he previously showed. Not a good way to build a team, IMO.

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
I don't mind the chance at the pick, but I most certainly mind him starting over Higs coming off suspension...…

Flexing muscles too hard causes you pass out

O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted By: Haus
I think the bigger issue with drafting a guy like Callaway is bringing a guy with drug and work ethic issues into the locker room. Then when he gets busted for drugs and shows up out of shape, you dig yourself deeper by keeping and playing him over more deserving players, just based on the flashes of athletic ability he previously showed. Not a good way to build a team, IMO.

That I can't argue with... even if it wasn't as ridiculous of a punishment as he got from Hue. :-p

I thought he got released fairly quickly, but it definitely could've been quicker and could've been preceded by playing time punishments.

-PrplPplEater
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Round 4

101. Carolina Panthers: TE Ian Thomas, Indiana

102. Minnesota Vikings: DL Jalyn Holmes, Ohio St

103. Houston Texans: WR Keke Coutee, Texas Tech

104. Indianapolis Colts: RB Nyheim Hines, NC State

105. Cleveland Browns (via New England Patriots): WR Antonio Callaway, Florida

106. Denver Broncos: LB Josey Jewell, Iowa

107. New York Jets: TE Christopher Herndon, Miami

108. New York Giants: QB Kyle Lauletta, Richmond

109. Washington: S Troy Apke, Penn State

110. Oakland Raiders: CB Nick Nelson, Wisconsin

111. Los Angeles Rams: C Brian Allen, Michigan St.

112. Cincinnati Bengals: RB Mark Walton, Miami

113. Denver Broncos: WR DaeSean Hamilton, Penn State

114. Detroit Lions from New England Patriots (via Cleveland Browns): DL Da’Shawn Hand, Alabama

115. Chicago Bears: LB Joel Iyiegbuniwe, Western Kentucky

116. Dallas Cowboys: DE Dorance Armstrong, Kansas

117. Tampa Bay Buccaneers: S Jordan Whitehead, Pittsburgh

118. Baltimore Ravens: CB Anthony Averett, Alabama

119. Los Angeles Chargers: S Kyzir White, West Virginia

120. Seattle Seahawks: TE Will Dissly, Washington

121. Buffalo Bills: CB Taron Johnson, Weber State

122. Baltimore Ravens: LB Kenny Young, UCLA

123. Miami Dolphins: TE Durham Smythe, Notre Dame

124. Kansas City Chiefs: S Armani Watts, Texas A&M

125. Philadelphia Eagles: CB Avonte Maddox, Pittsburgh

126. Atlanta Falcons: RB Ito Smith, Southern Mississippi

127. New Orleans Saints: Rick Leonard, OT, Florida State

128. San Francisco 49ers: Kentavius Street, DE, NC State

129. Jacksonville Jaguars: T Will Richardson, NC State

130. Philadelphia Eagles: DE Josh Sweat, FSU

131. Miami Dolphins: RB Kalen Ballage, Arizona St.

132. Baltimore Ravens: WR Jaleel Scott, New Mexico St.

133. Green Bay Packers: WR J’Mon Moore, Missouri

134. Arizona Cardinals: RB Chase Edmonds, Fordham

135. Los Angeles Rams: DL John Franklin-Myers, Stephen F. Austin

136. Carolina Panthers (via Los Angeles Rams): DE Marquis Haynes, Ole Miss

137. Dallas Cowboys: TE Dalton Schultz, Stanford
Round 5

138. Green Bay Packers: T Cole Madison,

B
Legend
Legend
B

I agree. I can find fault in other areas, but spending a 4th rounder on the kid wasn't a bad throw of the dice. We did see flashes of the talent.

The dummy couldn't stay clean. Stupid people keep making stupid mistakes.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
I don't fault Dorsey for the Callaway pick either. It was a good pick.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted By: Haus

Yep...that reeked of "my guy is better than their guy" syndrome that is so prevalent with GMs. IMO it was a gamble worth taking...it didn't work out...it happens.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Antonio Callaway waived

Link Copied to Clipboard