Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 10 of 10 1 2 8 9 10
O
Legend
Legend
O
re: Berry and the return of #analytics, I will say one thing (to be fair)

In hindsight, the analytics setup we had before was a kind of unholy marriage. You had DePo and Sashi, who were way on the analytics side (yes, DePo played football, but he came from the baseball world for pete's sake). And then you had Hue, who was way over on the football side. In hindsight, whether it be unwillingness or inability, nobody really seemed to bridge the divide.

This time around, however, each person embodies more of a healthy mix. DePo is still DePo, but it's been reported he'll remain out of the day-to-day. Berry and KS are "football guys" that are also "analytics guys" (or maybe the other way around). Point it, I don't think it'll be the same oil-and-vinegar effect as the last nerd FO, and I think we'll be better for it (hard to be worse).

I hope this somehow translates to better drafts and off-seasons than last time. I really wasn't a fan.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted By: devicedawg
Just curious, why would you think it's trash?
I already listed several reasons but...

He is literally making up events, on top of neglecting information or suppressing information that doesn't fit with his narrative.

Its biased based on the language he uses to describe the processes as well, so right off the bat I am skeptical.

He states that certain pics in the two years were "picks void any data" and the rest were data picks. Ok, how do you come to that conclusion? What evidence says the bad pics were not data picks? he doesn't give any. he just expects us to believe him. So we are to believe that the data department has specific pics and those wre the picks that turned out as decent players while the picks that did not turn out well were football minded picks? Lol.

Here:

Quote:
Out of the 24 selections made in two drafts, at least six of them or 25 percent completely ignored any concept of analytics or data. And of those six, exactly none of them panned out for the Browns, so they were effectively wasted in the name of compromise.

Ok,. How so? Where is the evidence that this is true? There is none. How does he know these were compromised picks and not just the data picks? Lol

Conversely:
Quote:
Of the 18 selections rooted in data, three of them have made the Pro Bowl (Garrett, Schobert, Gonzalez), one was a massive bust (Corey Coleman), three are contributing for other teams (Nassib, Ogbah, Peppers), three are or have contributed on the Browns roster (Njoku, Ogunjobi, Higgins) and the remaining eight are either at the bottom of a roster, a free agent or out of the league entirely (Kessler, Kindred, Louis, Payton, DeValve, Caldwell, Wilson, Dayes).

How does he know these were the data picks? Based on what?

I find it hilarious how this article is written.

There is literally nothing factual to base any of the examples this writer uses, let alone we have factual reports and statements from people during the draft that were present at the time disputing what he said about Watson. he said He also conveniently leaves out the fact they passed on Wentz.

Its absolutely trash, and my opinion on that has nothing to do with the fact its bashing the "football guys" over the "data guys", its based on the articles lack of sourcing and information to back any of the claims made.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Please don't read that article. It's a bunch of unsubstantiated rumors written as fact under the banner of Sports Illustrated.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: willitevachange
Its absolutely trash, and my opinion on that has nothing to do with the fact its bashing the "football guys" over the "data guys", its based on the articles lack of sourcing and information to back any of the claims made.

Yes. Yes. Yes.

I read that article earlier today and was hoping it would not make its way to this site (even though I knew it would).

It is a garbage article.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: oobernoober
... I don't think it'll be the same oil-and-vinegar effect as the last nerd FO, and I think we'll be better for it (hard to be worse).

That is my expectation as well...

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
M
mac Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
JUST WIN...

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
B
Legend
Legend
B
What people are you talking about.

First, I, me, would never draft a receiver at the top of the draft.

I would almost always make it a different position. They almost always seems to be crybaby problem makers.

As for Coleman, I didn't like the pick as referenced above, but he was the #1 or #2 rated receiver in the draft. What we did was in line with all the "football" experts.

Face it, sometimes it just doesn't work out. Give me examples of a GM saying he blew that pick. They don't do that. They move on. It's time for you to move on....Corey Coleman...really?

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
Just curious, why would you think it's trash?

What facts do you have to support it isn't? The wording strongly suggests pure conject5ure.

I don't get into the data and watching players prior to draft picks, so that I can not speak of...

Hue with the power to determine the quarterback room has been a heated debate here. There's an article in the athletic that's been linked here before about Hue being in charge of the quarterbacks, which is one of the reasons he came to Cleveland.

I'm not surprised the people who choose not to believe that would think the article is garbage.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:
we have factual reports and statements from people during the draft that were present at the time disputing what he said about Watson. he said He also conveniently leaves out the fact they passed on Wentz.

What factual reports?

It's been said numerous times Hue wanted Hooker at 12.

We also never passed on Mahomes like Hue once claimed. Hue wanted Garrett at 1. Mahomes was drafted at 10 before our 12th pick.

Im not sure what these "factual reports" are claiming...

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:
we have factual reports and statements from people during the draft that were present at the time disputing what he said about Watson. he said He also conveniently leaves out the fact they passed on Wentz.

What factual reports?

It's been said numerous times Hue wanted Hooker at 12.

We also never passed on Mahomes like Hue once claimed. Hue wanted Garrett at 1. Mahomes was drafted at 10 before our 12th pick.

Im not sure what these "factual reports" are claiming...

Hue wanted every player that ended up looking good, after the fact.

Unfortunately, he had to help pick one on draft day and decided not to tie his cart to a QB by drafting one early after his top choice was gone. He wanted to save that trump card (or excuse) for later.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: BCbrownie
That is very true.
So tell me again why we are going to a WCO zone blocking scheme?

It could be that the coaching staff feels the current roster is best suited for that type of offense. Considering we have one of the best running-backs in the league, that might not be such a bad thing. "Changing the offense" isn't necessarily a sign of bad coaching. It's when they change the offense or defense, and then have to replace everyone on the roster to get guys that can run it, that's a problem.

Considering that we ran air-raid last year, and it failed miserably, it's probably a good idea to change the offense.

M
mac Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
I think we can all agree, we don't want a return to Moneyball, tearing the franchise down to the studs with 2, 3 or 4 wins in 2020.

As bad as Freddie was, his team did manage to win 6 games in 2019 and should have won more. Much of the work is done and this team is closer to getting in the playoffs than it is to another 0-16 season.

Just 4 more wins added to Freddie's horrible 6 wins and this team should be in the playoff hunt...just get us to the big dance.

Last edited by mac; 01/29/20 06:55 AM.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
E
Legend
Legend
E
Originally Posted By: mac
EO..spin it any way that makes you feel better about the Browns success under Depodesta's Moneyball scheme.

The 1-31 belongs to Haslam and Depodesta with a bit of Sashi thrown in.

Wasn't it Depodesta who ran the analytics on Carson Wentz and openly opined that Wentz wasn't a franchise caliber QB?

spin...blah, blah, blah
moneyball blah, blah, blah

What is going on with this country when the simple truth is made light of.

Again just cause you say so don't make it so.

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Page 10 of 10 1 2 8 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Football guys did half the job, now it's up to numbers boys to finish the job...

Link Copied to Clipboard