Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1728808 02/04/20 07:48 PM
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
linky

An elongated stay in England awaits the Jaguars in 2020.

For the first time in NFL history, a team will play two home games outside the United States as Jacksonville will play back-to-back games over consecutive Sundays in London at Wembley Stadium, the team announced on Tuesday.

"First, I want to make it clear that our first priority is winning, and anything we do or say away from that will never be more important than giving Jacksonville a team that wins and the community can be proud to call its own," Jaguars owner Shad Khan said in the statement. "We are committed first and foremost to winning, and that commitment drives me and everyone at the Jaguars every day.

"We've also been honest about the importance of what playing games in London means to the vitality of the Jaguars as a franchise, and what a vibrant downtown means not only for the Jaguars, but for everyone who calls Jacksonville their home or maybe is thinking about coming here to live, raise a family, start a business or just spend more time here. I believe in what's possible for Jacksonville and am going to do whatever it takes to help the Jaguars and the City of Jacksonville to reach its full potential. What we plan for the 2020 season and maybe a bit longer is all about believing in what Jacksonville can ultimately become, all while continuing to further grow and develop partnerships and a fan following in London and throughout the UK that have turned out to be pretty remarkable."

Though the opponents have yet to be announced, the Jags will play two of the following: the Houston Texans, Indianapolis Colts, Tennessee Titans, [b]Cleveland Browns]/b], Detroit Lions or Miami Dolphins.

The Jaguars confirmed that their home games against the Pittsburgh Steelers and Chicago Bears will take place in Jacksonville at TIAA Bank Field.

NFL Network's Tom Pelissero reports it's not a permanent scheduling strategy, but is a bridge through the Lot J project, which is roughly $700 million, that will build up the area surrounding TIAA Bank Field. The two-game "home" stand in London could be just a one-year move.

As for season ticket holders, they will receive a 50 percent discount on preseason games and favorable pricing on a half-dozen regular-season games that will equate to an average ticket price reduction of five percent, the team said.

Jacksonville will continue its annual tradition of playing home games in London, as it's done once a season every year since 2013.

Overall, the Jaguars are 3-4 in English outings, having lost two in a row to eventual playoff squads -- the Eagles in 2018, 24-18; and the Texans in 2019, 26-3.

Announcement of the extended stay comes in conjunction with the team's ambitious plans for the development of Lot J next to TIAA Bank Field. According to the team statement, when completed, the first phase of the Lot J development will see a redesigned downtown Jacksonville experience that will include an entertainment district, residential building offering more than 400 units, a 200-room hotel and additional parking.

Per the team's release: "Playing home games in London will continue to be very important to the Jaguars during the transition period expected during the Lot J construction."

"This isn't about next season or the next few seasons in Jacksonville," Khan said, "but really about the next 10 years, 25 years and beyond."

NFL to play games in Mexico in 2020, 2021 seasons

Print
By Around The NFL staff NFL.com
Published: Jan. 29, 2020 at 01:40 p.m.Updated: Jan. 29, 2020 at 02:53 p.m.

Commissioner Roger Goodell announced Wednesday that the NFL will return to Mexico City for one game at Estadio Azteca during both the 2020 and 2021 seasons.

The date and time of the 2020 game along with details for the rest of the league's international slate will be determined in conjunction with the NFL schedule release this spring, the league said in a statement.

The NFL returned to Mexico in 2019 for a November Monday Night Football game between the Kansas City Chiefs and Los Angeles Chargers after a one-year absence. The 2018 Mexico game was moved to Los Angeles due to safety issues with the playing surface at Estadio Azteca.

"We had a great experience this past November down in Mexico," Goodell said during his Super Bowl LIV news conference. "It was just a great event and we loved being there. We look forward to being back and we are proud to be able to say we're going to be there for two more games over the next two years. Our fan base down there continues to grow and become more passionate. Our partners down there have been extraordinary and we want to continue that. We want to build on that."

The games in 2020 and 2021 will mark the fifth and sixth NFL games played in Mexico.

Arizona Cardinals could have home game in Mexico City in 2020, according to report
Bob McManaman, Arizona RepublicPublished 10:37 a.m. MT Jan. 30, 2020

CLOSE
CONNECT
TWEET
LINKEDIN
COMMENT
EMAIL
MORE
An ESPN report out of Mexico states that the Cardinals will play a regular-season home game this upcoming season at Estadio Azteca in Mexico City. If true, it would be the first time the Cardinals have played a regular-season game there in 15 years.

The report comes from John Sutcliffe, an ESPN reporter who lives in Mexico City.

It follows an announcement from NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell on Wednesday during a news conference in Miami that the league will return to Mexico for regular-season games in 2020 and 2021. Details as to which teams will play there this year and when it will be played, Goodell said, will be revealed in the coming months.

According to Sutcliffe, however, he said he has information that the Cardinals will be the home team for the 2020 game at Estadio Azteca, meaning Arizona will have just seven home games this season at State Farm Stadium.

Are you a sports fan? Stay in the know. Subscribe to azcentral.com today

“This is what I knew. It won’t be New England against Miami. The information I have been able to confirm is that Arizona, the Cardinals, is going to play after 15 years again in Mexico as the home team,” Sutcliffe said on ESPN Mexico.

The Republic reached out to league sources but could not immediately confirm Sutcliffe's report.

SaintDawg™

Football, baseball, basketball, wine, women, walleye
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
This means the Browns have a 2 in 6 chance of returning to LONDON

SaintDawg™

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

This means maybe since the Browns can't win in the NFL.. Goodell can change the NFL to the WFL and the Browns can win a Playoff game in the first WFL playoff game..

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
"Our first priority is winning"

"Second only to our other first priority, making more money."

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Ban these silly games in foreign countries unless you want to expand the league worldwide which would be a joke.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: SuperBrown
Ban these silly games in foreign countries unless you want to expand the league worldwide which would be a joke.

But SB, the Bills played 7 games in Toronto.

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: SaintDawg

I'm guessing it's actually a 2 in 5 chance of returning to London with Miami having already committed to playing in Mexico next year.

Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
That’s fine w me, I went to London 2 years ago vs the Vikes with CapitalGG, Lurker, Chuck Norris, Hinkle and SackDawg. Had a blast, I’d like to go again.

SaintDawg™

M
Legend
Legend
M
I didn't go to the last game in London. I'm sure it was a great time.

Would certainly go this time around. Somewhat hoping they get a game in London. It would make for a nice long weekend trip with my wife. Would probably take the kids as well. It'd be a memorable experience.

Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Weekend? Shoot, I'm thinking what we did last time.. Thursday - Tuesday

SaintDawg™

M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: SaintDawg
Weekend? Shoot, I'm thinking what we did last time.. Thursday - Tuesday

Like I said, a nice long weekend. wink

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
J/C

I wonder if the season ticket holders only have to pay for 6 games?

Legend
Legend
I’m okay with a London game as long as it’s not 9:30 AM ... if it’s in the 1:00 time slot it doesn’t affect us much

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: willitevachange
J/C

They’ll have to pay for 8. STH have to pay for preseason games, too.

I know when the Browns went to London, STH were only required to pay for 9 games that season.

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted By: Milk Man
J/C

I know when the Browns went to London, STH were only required to pay for 9 games that season.
That's where i would be extremely mad about - and I am surprised STH have never filed suit against the team/NFL

C
Legend
Legend
C
J/C

That's where i would be extremely mad about - and I am surprised STH have never filed suit against the team/NFL

What basis for a lawsuit would they have? They pay for the tickets that are available to them.

Legend
Legend
I’m sure the London agreement is in the ticket purchase fine print anywayhs

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted By: cfrs15
J/C

What basis for a lawsuit would they have? They pay for the tickets that are available to them.
I would argue they are being forced to pay for tickets they cannot reasonably attend, possibly argue that the tickets they are purchasing are under the impression that they are to be played at that said stadium location. IDK, just throwing out some thoughts.

You can sue for anything - not a lawyer. But I do know its not right to the STH to have to pay for tickets to an event they are not physically or financially able to attend.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: cfrs15
J/C

I would argue they are being forced to pay for tickets they cannot reasonably attend, possibly argue that the tickets they are purchasing are under the impression that they are to be played at that said stadium location. IDK, just throwing out some thoughts.

You can sue for anything - not a lawyer. But I do know its not right to the STH to have to pay for tickets to an event they are not physically or financially able to attend.

Didn't Milk Man say they don't have to pay for the games in London?

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life
I’m sure the London agreement is in the ticket purchase fine print anywayhs
Possibly, probably in fact. Doesn't mean you cannot fight it.

M
Legend
Legend
M
That's correct. You are not forced to purchase the tickets for games in London.

They are deducted from the overall cost of your season tickets.

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
That's correct. You are not forced to purchase the tickets for games in London.

They are deducted from the overall cost of your season tickets.
Gotcha. I misread before. Thank you for clarifying

D
Legend
Legend
D
He was actually confusing the first time he talked about it ... he said they will have to pay for 8 ... then he said he didn’t have to pay when we went there ... he didn’t mention the 8 they will have to pay for included the pre-season games ... u ASSumed the 8 included the over seas games ... ...

And i have no clue why i typed that out ... *L* ...

M
Legend
Legend
M

Diam,

That confused you?

6 regular season games + 2 preseason games = 8

You know, 1 + 1 = 2

MenZas!

D
Legend
Legend
D
Once again ... if your gonna mock me get it right ....

Its 0 + 0 = 0 menZa ...

And u gave a word problem and left part out ... other than that ... nice job ... thumbsup

M
Legend
Legend
M
I put my own spin on it!

D
Legend
Legend
D
I put my own spin on it!

You’ve mastered that lately ... thumbsup

Legend
Legend
The season ticket holders for Jags seem to get screwed if these London games are technically home games. Do they get price adjustments for these silly field trips? We can't get our club into Cleveland. Maybe London would be easier and cheaper.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
B
Legend
Legend
B
J/C

That was outlined in the article.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
J/c

Doing the math, we have 2/5 chance that we’re in London this year. They won’t play Chicago or PIttsburgh in London, and Miami already plays in Mexico so they’d be out.

DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum London games.. and Mexico

Link Copied to Clipboard