Next Thread
Print Thread
O
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
O
There are more homeless students in the U.S. than people living in Dallas

More than 1.5 million U.S. public school students experienced homelessness during the 2017-2018 school year, according to a National Center for Homeless Education report released in January. The number is the highest recorded in over ten years and represents a population larger than the estimated total population of Dallas.

The number of students experiencing homelessness spiked by 15% between 2015 and 2018, the three most recent school years covered in the report. In the 2015-2016 school year, 1,307,656 students were reported as homeless, compared to the 1,508,265 students in 2017-2018 year, according to the report.

"The record number of children and youth experiencing homelessness nationwide is alarming," said Barbara Duffield, the Executive Director of SchoolHouse Connection, a non-profit that works to combat homelessness, in a statement. "But for many of these children and youth, public schools are their best — and often only — source of support. Schools exist in all communities, regardless of whether or not there are enough shelter beds; they are required to identify, enroll, and serve homeless children and youth; they use a definition of homelessness that captures the reality of homelessness for youth and families; and they provide the tools children and youth need to succeed."

The homeless student population increased by 10% or more in 16 states during the three school years covered in the report. Only five states experienced an "equally large" decrease over the same time period.

The homeless student population doubled in Texas over the three year period, increasing to 231,305 for the 2017-2018 school year. Coinciding with the increase was Hurricane Harvey, which pummeled the state in August of 2017, bringing 60 inches of rain in five days and damaging or destroying 300,000 buildings and homes.

Over the course of the three school years listed in the report, the number of students living in "unsheltered situations," which includes cars and abandoned buildings, increased by 137%. Students living in hotels or motels increased by 24% and students listed as living in "doubled-up" situations increased by 13%. The number of students in shelters decreased by 2%, however.

These numbers do not include the total number of homeless children and youth in America, as the report only includes public school students. It also doesn't take into account students who only experience homelessness during the summer or who drop out of school, according to the report.

The increase in homelessness isn't just a problem for students, however. The federal government reported a 2.7% increase in the nation's homeless population, driven by a spike in California, according to an annual count that took place in January 2019.

The lack of affordable housing in California, as well as cities across the country, is often cited as a key reason for the crisis. For example, Los Angeles residents need to earn nearly $50 an hour just to afford the median monthly rent of $2,471, according to the California Housing Partnership Coalition.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/homeless-po...las-2020-02-04/

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
O
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
O
It's time for a thread on the homeless issue. We live in two Americas and the poor are getting poorer. Not all of the homeless are drug addicted or mentally ill, many are just down on their luck or pushed out into the street for lack of affordable housing. This is a real problem and it is growing fast.

R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
Can I get 10 dollars for every “if they would just work harder or pull themselves up by their bootstraps” post following mine?

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
States that are run by Democrats are where the homeless crisis persists. Wonder why? Show me a city or state that has been long been Democrat controlled and I will show you poverty.

https://www.businessinsider.com/photos-h...ss-population-5

Romans 10:9 "That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and believe in thy heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved."
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: RocketOptimist
Can I get 10 dollars for every “if they would just work harder or pull themselves up by their bootstraps” post following mine?

You want to get money for doing nothing... definitely a Democrat tongue

Sorry, you set yourself up for it, and I couldn't resist.

A blue state (CA) and a red state (TX) are the biggest "offenders" so the issue appears to cross parties. I do wonder about the "definition" the article mentions. Is there an immigration angle?

Homelessness is definitely a problem. I'm not sure how we fix it. The way we value things is so arbitrary and nonsensical at times in our economy it's ridiculous. We basically force debt onto people to survive (shelter and vehicle valuation which are often required for employment) with those lending credit fully knowing that most people won't be able to keep with the payments is downright despicable. Fractional reserve banking should be criminal.

The things people choose to spend money on can also contribute to the issue. Sticking to a budget and sacrificing wants aren't strong points for many Americans. Planned obsolescence doesn't help.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
In every class I have at least one student, sometimes a few, who are homeless.

This is the face of America.

O
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
O
Originally Posted By: PDXBrownsFan
In every class I have at least one student, sometimes a few, who are homeless.

This is the face of America.

Sad as hell.

V
Legend
Legend
V
I think this is a complicated, multi-faceted issue that would take some degree of intelligence, empathy, understanding, and open-mindedness to discuss.

I highly doubt that happens on here.

O
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
O
You are probably right. Good to see you back.

Last edited by OldColdDawg; 02/09/20 08:59 PM.

R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
I think this is a complicated, multi-faceted issue that would take some degree of intelligence, empathy, understanding, and open-mindedness to discuss.

I highly doubt that happens on here.

Share.

I appreciated your perspective the last time we talked about this. I'm sure others did, too.

V
Legend
Legend
V
I want to, but things always get so twisted on here. I've been called a libtard and a Trumpian on the same thread before. Multiple times.

I don't know, man. There are so many factors and probably more that I am not even aware of. I started a thread awhile ago about the Homeless and spoke of how I actually tried it.

My personal experience was that not all of those folks were as innocent as some of us project. Also, I found that some of those folks were much more like guys like you and I than I would have ever imagined.

Like I said earlier........it's very complex.

I have some reasons why I think it's complex from multiple points of view, but I am not going to waste time typing them out right now if the conversation goes crazy [like it typically does.]

If folks want to talk rationally, I will share some more of my thoughts. I see things on both sides and even from angles. Would love to hear intelligent comments. I will not respond to one-sided hate speeches.

V
Legend
Legend
V
I didn't mean to kill the thread. I apologize. You guys go at it and I'll stay off of it.

N
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
N
Slightly off topic
But as this generation ages, most don’t even have the money for their medications, food and housing

https://money.yahoo.com/parents-retirement-adult-children-140040922.html

What you don't know about your parents' retirement plans could hurt you financially

Dhara Singh
Reporter
Yahoo MoneyFebruary 10, 2020

Presidential campaigns are paying millions to Big Tech companies (while also bashing them
Most working Americans have no clue how prepared their parents are for retirement, a knowledge gap that could hurt their own finances.

About 7 in 10 of adults between 25 and 44 said they know little to nothing about their parents’ finances, according to a survey from AgeUp, an annuity product issued by MassMutual and sold by Haven Life Insurance Agency.

But nearly the same share expect they will need to financially help their parents if they outlive their savings. The survey polled 1,500 people and was given to Yahoo Finance exclusively.

This discrepancy comes at a time when those nearing retirement and their adult children are both vastly behind on saving for retirement.

“If [retirees] run out of money in later years, there will be a realization their [children] have to step in,” said Blair Baldwin, founder at AgeUp.

Shot of a mature man and his elderly father having coffee and a chat at home
About 7 in 10 of adults between 25 and 44 said they know little to nothing about their parents’ finances, according to a new survey. (Photo: Getty Creative)
More
Retirement preparedness

While you should have eight times your starting salary by the time your 60 saved for retirement, most of those approaching retirement have vastly less than that. The median amount saved by those between 56 and 61 is $21,000, according to the Economic Policy Institute.

“For the retirement generation before, there were defined-benefit plans such as a pension,” said Edward Gottfried, group product manager at robo-advisor Betterment. “This is the first generation where 401(k)s could make the bulk of retirement savings.”

The future of Social Security benefits and longer lifespans also worry many Americans when they think about their parents’ retirement.

About 7 in 10 Americans believe Social Security won’t be a reliable source of income when their parents reach their 90s, the survey found.

Recent research by the Social Security Administration highlights that trust fund reserves will be depleted starting in 2035 when the oldest baby boomers turn 89, and only 80% of the program’s costs will be funded. This could mean reduced benefits for retirees.

The median amount of retirement savings for those approaching retirement is $21,000, according to the Economic Policy Institute.
The median amount of retirement savings for those approaching retirement is $21,000, according to the Economic Policy Institute.
More
Half of respondents believe at least one parent will live into their 90s, while 3 in 5 worry about their parents running out of money in their later years, according to the survey.

Trends in longevity really have changed. “The average lifespan has gotten longer,” Baldwin said. “It’s not unheard of people living until their mid-90s or early 100s. That really is a new societal development.”

Children stepping in

Four in 5 adult children agreed they need to consider the needs of their parents and in-laws when planning their own long-term financial plans, according to the survey. But just over a third have done so.

If children don’t address the financial elephant in the room with their aging parents, the trickle-down effects include setbacks to their own goals.

“If they find out they need to help their parents with retirement or long-term care expenses, they will have to dial back on their own retirement contributions or even their educational savings for their kids,” said Henry Hoang, a certified financial planner at Bright Wealth Advisors in Irvine, California.

But not all consequences are financial. A lack of transparency can simply erode trust between generations, Hoang said.

“If we ignore potential issues that’s going to build up resentment even within the most generous and well-intentioned people,” Hoang said. “This is often due to seeing your own personal objectives taking a step back.”

Having the conversation

Talking to parents about their personal finances is the second most awkward subject for adults, according to the study. But experts say there are ways of alleviating the uncomfortable feeling. The first step is reframing the discussion as soon as possible.

“Taking a holistic view of retirement readiness will have you be more prepared,” said Gottfried, who recommends having the initial conversation 10 to 15 years before the parents’ retirement. “Think of it as an activity around [goal-setting].”

Financial advisors also recommend asking if your parents have a reliable financial plan.

“I’d ask them if they have a plan to create predictable income during retirement years,” said Hoang. “The moment even people have to turn one million in assets into income is a different feeling and experience.”

Another tip Hoang has for those nervous about the ‘talk’ is asking if their parent’s retirement plans consider unexpected expenses.

Portrait of an African American father and his son.
Ask if your parent’s retirement plans consider unexpected expenses, financial experts recommend. (Photo: Getty Creative)
More
“If you are fairly healthy you can live past 85 years,” Hoang said. “So, in that case, you should be realistic about retirement projections covering risk of inflation as well as healthcare costs.”

If you’re still struggling to approach the conversation, remember that having the conversation now will make it easier for future family conversations.

“Approach the conversation from a place of love and family support,” Baldwin said.

Parents’ responsibilities

While it may fall to millennials and Gen Xers to initiate the financial conversation, their parents should do their part to shore up their finances as much as possible before their golden years.

As a starting point, they can take advantage of catch-up contributions to retirement accounts.

For instance, those above 50 can contribute an extra $6,500 to their 401ks, above the $19,500 contribution limit for 2020. They can also sock away an additional $1,000 to IRA accounts on top of the $6,000 limit for 2020.

“Before you reach that retirement runway,” Gottfried said, “look at the type of life you want and be open to approaches outside of money you’ve already saved.”

DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Palus Politicus There are more homeless students in the U.S. than people living in Dallas

Link Copied to Clipboard