Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1731841 02/14/20 12:42 AM
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Whenever I go to the doctor, and they take my temp, I always say somewhere between 97.4 and 97.6. Well, imagine my surprise when I read this article .... and that temps for normal human beings has dropped over time.

Anyway, I just found it interesting.

Normal body temperature is going down, researchers say - Chicago Tribune
https://www.chicagotribune.com/lifestyle...u6m4-story.html

For centuries, 98.6 degrees Fahrenheit was said to be the average, normal body temperature. It’s not.

More recently, researchers have known normal body temperature is actually lower than 98.6 and can vary by gender, size, age, time of day and other factors. But now there’s also new evidence that shows we’ve been cooling off since the 19th century when 98.6 was established as “normal.”

Research published last week in eLife, shows body temperature has not only dropped since German physician Carl Reinhold August Wunderlich’s study in 1851 established the average body temperature as 98.6 degrees, but it has also dropped since the 1970s. The findings indicate that Americans’ average, normal body temperature has dropped about 0.05 degrees Fahrenheit per decade, based on their birth year.

“People are stuck on the 98.6 number, but that number has always been wrong,” said Dr. Julie Parsonnet, one of the authors of the study and professor of medicine at Stanford University. “There’s never been a real number because people vary.”

But Parsonnet’s research indicates there are still unknowns when it comes to the continued decrease in body temperature.

In the study, Parsonnet and other researchers looked at the temperatures of three groups: data from a study that recorded Civil War veterans’ temperatures from the mid-1800s through 1930, more recent data from the 1970s recorded by the Centers for Disease Control, and temperatures of patients visiting Stanford health clinics from 2007 to 2017.

The data showed that the body temperature of men born in the 2000s is about 1.06 degrees Fahrenheit lower than men born in the early 1800s. And the body temperature of women born in the 2000s is on average 0.58 degrees Fahrenheit lower than women born in the 1890s.

Meaning, “it’s not just an ancient change,” Parsonnet said, indicating previous theories that advancements in thermometers or means of calculating research data are not the only possible explanations for the change.

It’s unclear what exactly is causing the continued decline, Parsonnet said, or what it could mean moving forward. Some factors could be that people have grown taller and heavier, and that their metabolic rates have slowed.

And modern medicine’s elimination of certain diseases, like syphilis, tuberculosis and periodontal diseases also could affect changes in body temperature, she said. When the original 98.6-degree normal was established, a significant portion of the population would’ve been fighting these diseases, Parsonnet said, which cause inflammation and higher temperatures.

It’s important to find out why, she added, because it could affect lifespan. “We are having human cooling, and we don’t know what that means, but it’s good to know that it’s happening.”
-------------------------------------

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Legend
Legend
So it's true. The older we are the hotter we are laugh

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
Legend
Legend
Just took my 60 year old temperature. 97.9. I”m cool

#GMSTRONG
F
Legend
Legend
F
We are evolving back to reptilian form.

We don't have to agree with each other, to respect each others opinion.
Y
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Y
I've always been lower 98 or high 97.

#gmstrong
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Our body temps are falling. I blame global warming.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
B
Legend
Legend
B
I go to the Doc on a regular basis. I am cooler than I used to be.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: YTownBrownsFan
Our body temps are falling. I blame global warming.

I chalk it up to medicine is a practice. Those people are practicing on you.

Not all that long ago, draining blood from your system was a good idea. I guess after 500,000 people died because of that, medicine decided it wasn't good practice.

Just saying.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Everything Else... 98.6? Not Anymore.

Link Copied to Clipboard