Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1728725 02/04/20 04:44 PM
GMdawg Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Today is Rosa Parks Birthday. Today would have been her 107th Birthday. We all owe her a debt of Gratitude.

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
Legend
Legend
She was a woman of incredible grace and strength. Her courage in the face of certain reprisal is something most people can only aspire to.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
She was a great Spy and helped many people during the second World War

S
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
S
Amazing, incredible, strong woman.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Awesome figure and role model. Pretty brave

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
Legend
I think it's great that so many of us can look back on what she did with reverence and respect... because had we all been old enough to understand when she did it in 1955, a lot of us probably wouldn't have felt that way.

Signs of progress.

yebat' Putin
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: DeisleDawg
She was a great Spy and helped many people during the second World War

spy?

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
V
Legend
Legend
V
I love Rosa Parks and all she represents.

However, I am probably going to upset folks on both sides of the equation w/the following commentary.

It is my understanding that Rosa Parks was not some uneducated, random women who made a spur-of-the-moment decision to sit in the front of the bus because she was tired. Instead, Rosa was a member of the NAACP and I believe her husband was quite influential in the group.

What I am saying is that Rosa's move was planned. It was brilliantly orchestrated by some very intelligent and desperate folks to make a huge statement about civil rights and the travesty that was the Jim Crow Laws.

I freaking love this story because the blacks used intelligence and cunning to outsmart their oppressors. Random acts that are now well-planned are often counter intuitive to the goals of the actor. Kaep's act was one such act despite the brilliant attempts of black leaders to capitalize on his actions after the fact. Dude was a fake, selfish, and insincere. Instead, well-planned acts using the right people as actors have a much long-lasting and definitive affect on our society.

The Rosa Parks anniversary should be celebrated because it was one of the greatest planned passive attacks on the evils of society in the history of mankind.

My deepest respects to all those involved in such a masterful plan.

S
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
S
I hope it's OK to share a memory I have concerning amazing Rosa Parks. I took my (then) 5 year old son Edwin to the Henry Ford museum and one of the exhibits was the bus that Rosa Parks rode on.

We got to sit in the bus while the tour guide explained what had happened to Rosa Parks. My son Edwin, adopted from Guatemala and almost 100% Maya, asked the tour guide what part of the bus he would have been told to sit in, and the tour guide said probably at the back of the bus since he wasn't white.

I'm so thankful for Rosa Parks courage to help stop this injustice.

Last edited by sk8termom; 02/05/20 10:32 PM.

#gmstrong
P
Legend
Legend
P
That's one thing about history. I'm pretty sure that by most white people in the south at the time, what Rosa Parks did was very unpopular and considered a terrible act at the time. Which is exactly why we can't really say how history will judge acts of civil discourse we see today.

Our "in the moment judgements" very well could have zero impact on how history will judge them tomorrow.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
That's one thing about history. I'm pretty sure that by most white people in the south at the time, what Rosa Parks did was very unpopular and considered a terrible act at the time. Which is exactly why we can't really say how history will judge acts of civil discourse we see today.

Our "in the moment judgements" very well could have zero impact on how history will judge them tomorrow.

That's why it's almost senseless to debate about Colin Kaepernick's motivations or the Black Lives Matter movement in real time... and why I usually don't bother any more. Come see me in 20 years. Then we can talk.

"too many notes, not enough music-"
P
Legend
Legend
P
You went directly to the crux of my comment.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
GMdawg Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Quote:
Come see me in 20 years

If you go to heaven and I go to hell, then I would like to take you up on that nanner

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
Legend
Legend
rofl

"too many notes, not enough music-"
V
Legend
Legend
V
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG

I agree w/you, but perhaps you are misunderstanding what I am saying. The story history tells is not always the correct one. The people who write about history put their own slant on things.

Growing up, my History books told my generation that "Indians" were savages and how the brutalized poor, innocent white pioneers. The truth is actually much different.

Same goes w/Rosa. History paints her as this uneducated, common African American woman who was so tired that she decided to sit in front of the bus. She was much more than that. She was very intelligent and she associated w/extremely intelligent blacks who planned this out because they knew how important it could be for a righteous cause.

I'll refrain from going off about Kaep, but I think that already the history tellers are fabricating his true intent.

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog

The people who write about history put their own slant on things.

The people who wrote most of the history text books were white. They put their own biases, racism and lies into these books to perpetuate systemic, Institutionalized racism.

Last edited by PDXBrownsFan; 02/09/20 08:14 PM.
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted By: PDXBrownsFan
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog

The people who write about history put their own slant on things.

The people who wrote most of the history text books were white. They put their own biases, racism and lies into these books to perpetuate systemic, Institutionalized racism.

But that's not a "white" phenomena.

"Hey, I'm a reasonable guy. But I've just experienced some very unreasonable things."
-Jack Burton

-It looks like the Harvard Boys know what they are doing after all.
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Everything Else... Happy Birthday Rosa Parks

Link Copied to Clipboard