Print Thread
#1732514 02/17/20 01:53 PM
I
I_Rogue Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
I
Tried to find this (albeit quickly)on a liberal news site, but of course "crickets".

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article...9th-ARREST.html

'Bail reform, it's lit!': NYC Subway thief who has been arrested 139 TIMES thanks Democrats for new lenient laws and brags he cannot be stopped after being released

A serial thief who has racked up 139 arrests in New York City for pickpocketing unsuspecting subway commuters has thanked the Democrats because bail reform allows him to commit more crimes.

‘I’m famous!’ Charles Barry, 56, told a New York Daily News reporter outside Manhattan Criminal Court on Saturday after he was released due to the new lenient law.

‘I take $200, $300 a day of your money, cracker! You can’t stop me!’

Barry has been arrested six times so far in 2020 - and each time he has been freed without paying bail thanks to a new state law that went into effect on January 1.

As police led Barry out of a precinct on Thursday after his latest arrest, he yelled to a reporter: ‘Bail reform, it’s lit!’

‘It’s the Democrats! The Democrats know me and the Republicans fear me.

‘You can’t touch me! I can’t be stopped!’

On two occasions, he was arrested for stealing money from subway commuters who were in the process of buying Metrocards from the vending machines in the subway station.

On January 19, Barry allegedly stole $50 out of a woman’s hand inside the subway station at West 42nd Street and Sixth Avenue near Manhattan’s Bryant Park.

He was then issued a desk appearance ticket for failing to show up for a court hearing.

The arrests in 2020 are in addition to the 133 other arrests for crimes like grand larceny, petty larceny, and fraudulent accosting, according to the New York Daily News.

The new law in New York State, which was passed after Democrats took control of the legislature in Albany, requires judges to release those accused of misdemeanors and nonviolent felonies.

In order to ensure that those arrested return for their court dates, the judge may impose non-monetary conditions, like electronic monitoring or supervised release.

If someone is suspected of committing a violent felony and the judge is not convinced that he or she will show up for their court date, the judge can impose bail.

Supporters of the reform say it is necessary to reduce the pre-trial jail population and combat mass incarceration.

Opponents say that it allows recidivist criminals to continue committing crimes without a deterrent.

Since Barry’s crimes are considered nonviolent, judges are not allowed to send him to jail while his case awaits trial.

According to authorities, Barry has a history of sneaking up on commuters and stealing their wallets.

Police say he has even pretended to be a Metropolitan Transportation Authority worker and offered help to riders buying subway cards, only to run off with their cash and credit cards.

The 56-year-old Barry has served six terms in state prison.

He was sentenced after being convicted for selling drugs as well as grand larceny.

A transit police officer says the new bail reform law is to blame for Barry’s continuing to commit crimes.

‘At least before, he’d be remanded and be behind bars for a couple of days. He wouldn’t be able to victimize people,’ said Assistant Chief Gerald Dieckmann, the No. 2 officer in the NYPD’s Transit Bureau.

Critics of the bail law say it should be amended so that judges have some discretion to impose bail on potentially dangerous suspects.

But supporters of the bail law accuse the NYPD of amplifying Barry’s arrests to promote their agenda.

‘We adamantly oppose any changes to the bail law as it is written,’ The Legal Aid Society said in a statement.

The LAS, which is representing Barry, says putting him in jail does no one any good.

‘Mr. Barry’s case underscores the need for economic stability and meaningful social services, not a need to rollback bail reform,’ the Society said in a statement.

‘Locking up Mr. Barry on unaffordable bail or worse, remanding without bail, ultimately does nothing to protect the public and fails entirely to address his actual needs.’

“Unemployment is low because everyone has two jobs. Unemployment is low because people are working 60, 70, 80 hours a week and can barely feed their family.” -AOC
Legend
Legend
And these are the same hypocrite Democrats that want a 9 year sentence on Roger Stone who is a non-violent offender and has no previous criminal record.

Pfft

Legend
Legend
Probably because “bail reform: it’s lit” is a title of an article you’ll only find on loser right wing media sites, along with BS like “democrats allow him to commit more crimes”.

You’ll probably find it on breitbart, as well. Another lose alt right site that caters to the Jordan Peterson beta male community.

Which I guess it shouldn’t all that shocking that you found it, huh.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
Legend
Legend
Lol ... nice.

A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives.
– Jackie Robinson
A
Legend
Legend
A
https://nypost.com/2020/01/21/new-york-voters-have-turned-against-bail-reform-new-poll-says/

But, no comment from you on the content of the article, just on the source?

Legend
Legend
Nypost?

The dude is a scumbag. But you have to do a hell of a lot better than a handful of cases like this to make me question the overall policy.

Unless of course Arch’s new position is that government policies must be perfect or it shouldn’t pass.

Is that your position?

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: archbolddawg
https://nypost.com/2020/01/21/new-york-voters-have-turned-against-bail-reform-new-poll-says/

Lol.. Ok the content reflects the title of the article, which is only found and brought to light by right wingnuts

– Jackie Robinson
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: PerfectSpiral
Originally Posted By: archbolddawg

Lol.. Ok the content reflects the title of the article, which is only found and brought to light by right wingnuts

While the left wing snowflakes try to ignore what the man did and said. tsktsk

O
Legend
Legend
O
Don't agree with the man, but he got one thing right... Republicans fear him.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
O
Legend
Legend
O
I think the Republican party should break up into three new parties.

The Fearful Lemming Party, The Hold My Beer Party, and The Crazy Christian Fascist Racist Party as the final catchall.

A
Legend
Legend
A
Originally Posted By: Swish
Nypost?

Unless of course Arch’s new position is that government policies must be perfect or it shouldn’t pass.

Is that your position?

notallthere

Did I say it was? Did I insinuate it was?

I replied to this, from you:
Quote:
Probably because “bail reform: it’s lit” is a title of an article you’ll only find on loser right wing media sites, along with BS like “democrats allow him to commit more crimes”.

You’ll probably find it on breitbart, as well. Another lose alt right site that caters to the Jordan Peterson beta male community.

Which I guess it shouldn’t all that shocking that you found it, huh.

You made no comment on the validity of the facts in the article and went straight to attacking the source.

Legend
Legend
Lol...no he didn’t. But if he did, so?

– Jackie Robinson
Legend
Legend
Probably because I was responding to the OP’s comment:

Originally Posted By: I_Rogue
Tried to find this (albeit quickly)on a liberal news site, but of course "crickets".

That, you know, was at the very beginning of the thread?

There goes Arch, got triggered and is being completely pointless, as usual.

- Theodore Roosevelt
A
Legend
Legend
A
Thanks.

P
Legend
Legend
P
j/c

Is anyone surprised that some people who post on this board think people who can afford bail should be set free until trial but those who don't have the money should sit in jail?

#justus

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
j/c

Is anyone else surprised the Democrats around here want to discuss anything except the Liberal Democrat Policies that enable this thief to rob us blind while being untouchable?

No? Me neither.

P
Legend
Legend
P
People talk about it all the time! You're talking about Trump, right?

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
This is from ABC, a long standing member of the vast right wing conspiracy...

New York City starts year with spike in shootings, major crimes; NYPD, critics blame bail reform
Tuesday, February 4, 2020

NEW YORK CITY (WABC) -- The NYPD has released its first monthly crime stats since the state enacted its new bail reform initiatives, and it shows an increase in nearly all crimes except murders and rapes.

There is a 16.9% increase in all major index categories, with shootings up 27%, robberies up 35%, burglaries up 18%, auto thefts up 70%, grand larcenies up 10%, and felony assaults up 8.5%.

Conversely, murders are down nearly 20 percent, with 25 so far this year after 31 at this point last year. Rapes are also down.

"That is cause for real concern," Mayor Bill de Blasio said. "It's also very important to note the good news: murder down, rape down." (CDM Editorial - What a dumb arse)

NYPD officials are attributing the increase to the release of many defendants, per the bail reform laws, with NYPD Commissioner Dermot Shea citing a "pretty significant number of people released from Rikers Island."

Additionally, the NYPD has launched a new youth strategy to address and prevent youth crime, which officials say will draw on officers to address crime spikes involving youth as well as promote the mission of keeping all kids safe.

The new Youth Coordination Officers, starting this spring, will complement the Department's Neighborhood Policing philosophy. This effort will revamp how cops and kids interact, with the goal of helping young New Yorkers avoid a first interaction with the criminal justice system and reach their full potential.

"Every single member of the NYPD understands that behind each crime statistic is a victim who deserves justice," Shea said. "Through Neighborhood Policing and precision policing, our officers are fostering critical relationships with the communities they serve. The men and women of this department are second to none and they will continue to be relentless to address upticks in crime."

As the department adapts to the challenges of criminal justice reforms, Shea said the NYPD continues to employ precision policing, where officers focus on the small number of individuals driving crime, including gang and crew violence.

"The men and women of the NYPD work tirelessly to build bonds with the communities they serve," de Blasio said. "These efforts have made New York the safest big city in the country, and I want to thank our officers for always protecting the five boroughs. While we are sober about the challenges we faced last month, the NYPD will use data and targeted enforcement to fight crime. As we double down on our efforts, we will be building bonds with our youngest New Yorkers to make our city safer and fairer."

Still, PBA President Patrick Lynch called the situation a public safety emergency.

"New Yorkers need to reject Mayor de Blasio's easy excuses," he said. "Bail reform is not the only problem here. The double-digit increases in shootings, robberies, burglary and thefts aren't the product of any single law or policy. They are the result of failed leadership and a political culture that denigrates and devalues the work police officers do."

Tina Luongo, attorney-in-charge of the Criminal Defense Practice at The Legal Aid Society, released the following statement concerning the NYPD's monthly crime briefing:

"As any serious person knows, one month of data cannot tell us anything meaningful about crime trends. This is just more irresponsible misinformation from NYPD Commissioner Dermot Shea and other opponents of bail reform happy to ignore reality when it doesn't serve their agenda. The fact remains that crime is at all-time historic lows, and has been consistently low even as release rates from pre-trial detention have steadily risen."

The New York Civil Liberties Union issued the following statement:

"Commissioner Shea and Mayor de Blasio should be more focused on ensuring our new bail law is being followed properly rather than manipulating statistics to fit their misguided narrative that giving low-income New Yorkers the same privileges as wealthier people is somehow linked to crime. For the past two decades, New York City has reduced both its jail population and the use of cash bail, resulting in some of the lowest crime rates we have ever seen. No correlation could be or should be made to reforms that have been in place for only one month. We cannot let the distortions, falsehoods and purposeful fear-mongering that has spread over the past few weeks discredit these long-overdue changes."

ABC

yebat' Putin
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: OldColdDawg
I think the Republican party should break up into three new parties.

The Fearful Lemming Party, The Hold My Beer Party, and The Crazy Christian Fascist Racist Party as the final catchall.

It's kind of sad to watch you just continue to sink lower and lower...

yebat' Putin
Legend
Legend

Who?

yebat' Putin
O
Legend
Legend
O
Look DC, I don't respond to you like that do I? If I have you probably provoked me. I respond to those that say equally disturbing things like that or to fear mongering stories like this one. They only want partisan mud fights and blown out of proportion issues, so I don't fight it anymore. When I get get asked a serious non-trolling question or treated with the respect you show other human beings, I reciprocate with rational responses. When I see something ludicrous I enjoy responding in kind, I enjoy it... that's all you need to know to understand.

Legend
Legend
Murders and rapes are down. How come you didn’t highlight that?

Are we now picking and choosing which is a result of the bail system and which isn’t? Do you have the evidence to make the distinction?

I think the bail system in this country has been a historical joke. So I’m fine with the reforms.

So if you’re gonna say your highlighted portion is a result of the new system, then I will make the claim that murders and tapes being down are ALSO a result of the new system.

And guess what? In my opinion, that’s a better trade off.

So....don’t care.

- Theodore Roosevelt
O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted By: DCDAWGFAN

Who?

Quote:
As police led Barry out of a precinct on Thursday after his latest arrest, he yelled to a reporter: ‘Bail reform, it’s lit!’

The thief.

P
Legend
Legend
P
So let me ask you, do you support a system that only releases you until trial due to your financial resources?

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Quote:
Look DC, I don't respond to you like that do I? If I have you probably provoked me.

Yes, you are always the innocent reactionary victim. I'm sure if there was ever hostility between us on here.. I must have started it.

yebat' Putin
Legend
Legend
Quote:
Look DC, I don't respond to you like that do I?

Every day. You don't have to click "Reply" to something I said but every time you go on one of your generalized rants about Christians, about conservatives and how hateful and racist and misogynistic and xenophobic they all are..... you are talking about me.

yebat' Putin
Legend
Legend

Who?

Quote:

The thief.

Oh, the racist lawbreaker who costs the city of NY significant money and resources because the Dems have set up a system that allows him to continually break the law with impunity... ok, just checking.

yebat' Putin
O
Legend
Legend
O
Quote:
Look DC, I don't respond to you like that do I?

Every day. You don't have to click "Reply" to something I said but every time you go on one of your generalized rants about Christians, about conservatives and how hateful and racist and misogynistic and xenophobic they all are..... you are talking about me.

At least you know who you are.

O
Legend
Legend
O
Quote:
Look DC, I don't respond to you like that do I? If I have you probably provoked me.

Yes, you are always the innocent reactionary victim. I'm sure if there was ever hostility between us on here.. I must have started it.

Probably. Most likely.

Legend
Legend
Man, this thread, its lit!

Legend
Legend
New York man arrested 3 times in 1 day; police say bail-reform law to blame

The union the represents rank-and-file police officers in a New York town said its members played a game of catch and release with a suspect this week after he was arrested three times in one day and let go because of the state's new bail reform law.

Scott Nolan was first arrested on Monday at 9 a.m. in Troy on suspicion of shoplifting and given a court appearance ticket, WRBG-TV in Albany reported. At 2:30 p.m., he was arrested again for an alleged assault and again released.

Two hours later, police said Nolan hit someone with a brick. He was arrested yet again and given a third ticket for a court appearance.

"They just basically become a reactive instead of a proactive police department," said Nicholas Laviano, president of Troy's police union.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/new-york-man-arrested-3-times-1-day-bail-reform-law

And you want these lib policy wonks to run our healthcare??? notallthere

P
Legend
Legend
P
It would have been much better if only he would have had the money for bail the first two times.

You're for people who have money being released but against people who don't have money being released.

#gmstrong
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Palus Politicus 'Bail reform, it's lit!'

Link Copied to Clipboard