Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Legend
Legend
"We don't need no stinkin' boxscores!" What's up with that??

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
K
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
K
Originally Posted By: The Collector
The NFL needs one of these leagues to be successful.

they need a playground where they can test new rules, train refs and possibly get Cinderella stories about players who played in another league and are now kicking butt in the pros.

The arena league was great because we got a bit of this... NFL Europe was also great for this.

It's also great to test different markets that they might be able to move into in the future as well.

Make no mistake, Vince McMahon has no intetions of playing 2nd fiddle or being a farm league to the NFL, he intendeds to WIN and eventually beat out the NFL.

Don't think it can't happen. Vince and his dad started WWF(later WWE) when the NWA was the NFL of the professional wrestling scene. No one ever thought they would have a chance of dethonring the NWA. Over the years though, the WWF eventually ended up overtaking them, and Ted Turner and TNT swooped into save the NWA by buying it and turning it into WCW.

Despite this, McMahon kept chopping away and eventually drive WCW out of business.

McMahon has one thing the NFL doesn't have....He is an entertainer....He KNOWS how to put out a product that entertains week after week...the NFL is a bumbling mess that can't get out of its own way.

Week after week when the XFL isn't mired in controversoy over blown calls, and other nonsense, and Vince keeps focusing on the entertainment aspect, the more and more watched they will become.

Vince is in it for the longterm. The NFL has become too large and it is no longer nimble to adapt to changes, McMahon has already begun taking little nips from the NFL, and I hope he buries them in the next 10-12 years...the NFL Deserves it....

I'll call it first...in 5 years a few NFL Owners will jump ship and move their teams to the XFL after NFL lawsuits fail to stop them.

Last edited by Knight_Of_Brown; 02/09/20 10:55 AM.
Legend
Legend
XFL COMMISH: JOHNNY MANZIEL, TRENT RICHARDSON NOT GOOD ENOUGH FOR XFL

https://sportsnaut.com/2019/12/xfl-commish-johnny-manziel-trent-richardson-not-good-enough-for-xfl/

P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: Milk Man
JFF weighing in...

i must say, if anyone knows anything about folding, it's JFF.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
So did Antonio Calloway get too high and forget the game was today? He doesn’t even have a target.

Cleveland Browns, Space Browns
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: CleVeLaNd_sTrife
So did Antonio Calloway get too high and forget the game was today? He doesn’t even have a target.

I think I read that he is on IR.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Didn't notice him on the field. Would have been hard to with how Murray looked at QB. I guess Callaway's absence could have contributed to the QB holding on to the ball too long, but I wouldn't bet on it. Vipers looked pretty bad all around. Even managed to get a player ejected. Almost felt like a Browns game.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
D
Legend
Legend
D
Officiating and replay wasn't as tight and quick in the NY-Tampa game as it was yesterday. Today it was NFL-like, as in snail pace. Too much conferencing by the zebras and the replay official.

Legend
Legend
Did MISTER JFF wreck this league too? Just no end to his football posts.

Guess he showed the XFL!

Has he had his last stop yet? Tell me when he is done, please.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
#1730266 02/09/20 06:50 PM
2nd String
2nd String
So here’s a thought. Jimmy succeeds in destroying the Browns and they move to an ex-city starving for a new team. The Browns name and colors are changed/lost and a new owner decides to get into the XFL and they create the Cleveland Dawgz which means we get to keep the Dawg Pound and our Swagger Logo makes sense.

I know this will create a ton of backlash but the weekends XFL games have been enjoyable to watch and the differences between the two leagues makes it better to watch IMO

Who let the Dawgs out???
D
Legend
Legend
D
You lost me when you spelled Dawgs with a Z. Besides that, the XFL is a minor league. Besides that, the Browns are the team I have lived and died with since I was 6 or 7 years old. Besides that, we already have an XFL thread here:

https://www.dawgtalkers.net/ubbthreads.ph...ave#Post1722742

D
Legend
Legend
D
I like that the winning team for these games wins $100,000, which turns into $2200 for each player on the winning team. Its a real incentive and a nice bonus for guys who are averaging $55,000 per year in salary.

T
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
T
Originally Posted By: Knight_Of_Brown

they need a playground where they can test new rules, train refs and possibly get Cinderella stories about players who played in another league and are now kicking butt in the pros.

The arena league was great because we got a bit of this... NFL Europe was also great for this.

It's also great to test different markets that they might be able to move into in the future as well.

Make no mistake, Vince McMahon has no intetions of playing 2nd fiddle or being a farm league to the NFL, he intendeds to WIN and eventually beat out the NFL.

Don't think it can't happen. Vince and his dad started WWF(later WWE) when the NWA was the NFL of the professional wrestling scene. No one ever thought they would have a chance of dethonring the NWA. Over the years though, the WWF eventually ended up overtaking them, and Ted Turner and TNT swooped into save the NWA by buying it and turning it into WCW.

Despite this, McMahon kept chopping away and eventually drive WCW out of business.

McMahon has one thing the NFL doesn't have....He is an entertainer....He KNOWS how to put out a product that entertains week after week...the NFL is a bumbling mess that can't get out of its own way.

Week after week when the XFL isn't mired in controversoy over blown calls, and other nonsense, and Vince keeps focusing on the entertainment aspect, the more and more watched they will become.

Vince is in it for the longterm. The NFL has become too large and it is no longer nimble to adapt to changes, McMahon has already begun taking little nips from the NFL, and I hope he buries them in the next 10-12 years...the NFL Deserves it....

I'll call it first...in 5 years a few NFL Owners will jump ship and move their teams to the XFL after NFL lawsuits fail to stop them.

The NFL is an entirely different beast than what wrestling was in the 70s...

Wrestling was all about territories. And what Vince did was lure all the main guys from all the different territories in order to get those separate territories to fold.

The WCW was a different beast. A lot of what killed WCW was them shooting themself in the foot. Also an unsupportive network that didn't want wrestling in their cable line-up anymore.

The NFL is wayyyy too monolithic and again, a different beast. Vince... knew how to put on a show.

If you watch his product now. You can tell he's not in touch with what the fans want.

Enjoy this for what it is... and maybe hope it lasts for more than one season.

Legend
Legend
J/c

I’m just now watching this game today and I heard earlier in the game you only had to have one foot down to be a catch before the receiver went out of bounds. Now I see a TE catch a pass, gets one foot down and gets hit, jars the ball loose and defense recovers. They say this wasn’t a catch after review as the TE only had one foot down. So I”m confused on their rules, one foot down isn’t the arbiter of the catch, and the one foot down rule has conditions?

#GMSTRONG
T
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
T
This is what I have:

https://www.xfl.com/rules#0311d59995593c3aba461898

So seems that he had one foot down but didn't have enough time to do anything else?

Last edited by The Collector; 02/09/20 10:47 PM.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
You only need one foot down if you maintain possession. Otherwise you need a foot down followed by a "move common to the game" (think that's how Blandino phrased it during the broadcast) to be considered possession. Still leaves a lot open to interpretation.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c...

M
Legend
Legend
M
Well, that happened fast.

Tackles are tackles.
F
Legend
Legend
F
That was quick smile

I watch a little of the Seattle game Saturday and most of the Tampa game Sunday (Behind I'm a couple hours south of Tampa).

I found it entertaining. Probably the biggest downside currently as a consumer, is the lack of recognition of the players, and some confusion on the different rules.

But all in all, I found it entertaining. Will probably watch a few more through out the season.

Side Note: Seems the wife REALLY likes her Sundays, she seemed to really be pushing me on the XFL, "You know there's some new football today", "You going to watch", "You meeting your friends to watch the games?". smile Don't gotta ask me twice to leave. /vrooooom

We don't have to agree with each other, to respect each others opinion.
V
Legend
Legend
V

The arena league was great because we got a bit of this... NFL Europe was also great for this. thumbsup

Regarding the league. I really liked the kickoff rule and handling of replays.

Kickoffs are exciting and the league effectively took a lot of the danger away while maintaining the excitement of the particular play. The NFL should adopt it ASAP.

I also agree w/Dave that the Replays were handled far more efficiently and were less obtrusive than the NFL's version.

Well done, XFL!

That's a fairly unique and creative take. Well done.

T
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
T
So far week 2 brings some excitement.

Seattle v Tampa Bay was fun. You can see that there is execution problems or blown defense problems that continue to make the game not as professional as the NFL... But there's enough explosive plays that makes the game watchable IMO. it's like watching play that is better than college, but not as good as NFL ball.

Cardale on the DC Defenders is a fricken joy to watch...

They're my early lead for league winner this year.

... Also found out that Vince says that the league is fully funded for 2 years. The intent is to start to turn a profit in year 3

Last edited by The Collector; 02/16/20 05:18 AM.
D
Legend
Legend
D
Memo to XFL broadcast teams: please stop with the sideline interviews. They're awful. Just stop.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Dave
Memo to XFL broadcast teams: please stop with the sideline interviews. They're awful. Just stop.

I agree... it was an inte resting gimmick but annoyed me this week

<><

#gmstrong
D
Legend
Legend
D
Memo to XFL broadcast networks: the scene from "Risky Business" in the Dominos commercial is every bit as annoying today as it was 30+ years ago.

Legend
Legend

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
D
Legend
Legend
D
Anybody else watching this Dallas Tight End, Donald Parham? Guy appears to have good hands and can really run. The announcer just said he ran in the low 4.6's at his pro day. He's 6-8, 240. Now if he can only block ...

Legend
Legend
j/c:

XFL suspends operations and lays off employees, currently has no plans to return in 2021, per report

https://www.cbssports.com/xfl/news/xfl-s...021-per-report/

Legend
Legend
That sucks. They had an enjoyable on field product.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
M
Legend
Legend
M
Saw that yesterday. No surprise there.

Sounds like Vince McMahon never really wanted to even do it in the first place.

Legend
Legend
I think the XFL had some unique entertainment ideas ... very bad timing

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
AAF - RIP

XFL - RIP

Page 2 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Tailgate Forum XFL and the rules changes they have

Link Copied to Clipboard