Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
V
Legend
Legend
V
I wasn't referring to you. I detected your meaning.

Legend
Legend
Just wanted to make sure.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Practice Squad
OP Offline
Practice Squad
Browns have a ton of work to do to get to 8-8. If Mayfield plays like he did last year, they may only win 3 games best case next year. Their defense has a lot of holes. Coaching and play calling may have contributed to his bad year, but there were plenty of times, he had 5-7 seconds to throw and wasn't even close on his passes.

R
Legend
Legend
R
Defense is going to be a disaster.

If Mayfield is also a disaster you can kiss the season good bye. At that point you tank for Lawrence.

As I said the Raiders stadium is gorgeous.

Practice Squad
OP Offline
Practice Squad
Lol. for sure. Nice Opening in 2021 is it?

R
Legend
Legend
R
This year.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: Rishuz
Defense is going to be a disaster.

If Mayfield is also a disaster you can kiss the season good bye. At that point you tank for Lawrence.

As I said the Raiders stadium is gorgeous.

I'd prefer to see the off season play out before we declare one entire side of the ball is going to be a disaster! DL is still an area of relative strength. MG, Vernon, Richards, Ogunjobi is a pretty damn good line. Ward and Greedy have the potential to be bonafide quality starting CB's. Arguably pressure from your DL and the CB's are the most vital elements to have stellar play.... we'll see what happens with LB and S positions.

Baker? Depending on your love/hate/hope levels - he's going to bounce back and be more than adequate or he's already a bust ... only time will actually tell.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
Practice Squad
OP Offline
Practice Squad
Nice. Didnt realize that. How many is it gonna seat?

V
Legend
Legend
V
j/c:

Unless the FO completely demoralizes the will of the team w/mind-boggling moves, I expect the Browns to have a good record this year and probably make the playoffs. Dorsey left this team w/a ton of talent. Everyone in the know spoke to how much talent this team had last year. That hasn't changed. The Browns are loaded.

There are a couple of huge factors to consider:

1. Baker. I have not given up on him. He has the arm talent and moxie to be good. I wish he would work harder, shut his mouth, and concentrate on football. He might suck again. He might be very good. The Brown's season rests mostly on his shoulders. No other team has better skill players than the Browns do.

2. Coaching. Freddie and the crew were really bad last year. Stefanski has never been a HC and has limited experience as an OC. He was behind Shurmur and Flip.....of all people. However, he can't be worse than Freddie. Right?

3. Chemistry. The team needs to get off to a good start. The Analytics guys ensured that the team would have a negative culture. That is so hard to overcome in football due to the low number of games in a season and the time between games. We have talent. Get off to a good start and roll. Get off to a bad start and the worms crawl into the brains yet again.

Again..........I just hope the "smart" guys don't keep doing dumb things to kill the team again. This team has talent. They should make the playoffs if Baker plays at least decent and the coaching staff isn't horrid.

R
Legend
Legend
R
I'm going to disagree with you on this.

I really see a disastrous season. Even if Baker balls out, you're a Garrett injury away from a bottom 5 defense and you may be bottom 5 with him.

First year head coach. More emphasis on cap space then fielding a competitive team. I just don't like the recipe or the cooks.

V
Legend
Legend
V
I'm okay w/you disagreeing. I'm not even saying I am right. Just my take on things. I think we have a ton of talent. It's opinion and there is no name-calling or ridiculous statements. Debate is good.

R
Legend
Legend
R
I hope you're right and I'm wrong.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen
Originally Posted By: YTownBrownsFan
Originally Posted By: superbowldogg
We could save money by cutting Hubbard, Burnett, and, obviously, Vernon.

for what purpose? we don't need the cap space

How many teams can say they have $90 million in cap space? I mean, that's what's important, isn't it?

It is when you have core players to sign. It is when you are needing to go in big on a few positions to help improve this year and the next few years.

Keep Kirkesy who is a frail player, or have an extra 8mil to bring in a O tackle?

I know my choice.

if we only had to worry about that.... we have 60 mill in cap space.

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
Legend
Legend
I don’t know the rankings and stats of Vernon, but to me he didn’t seem like much of an improvement over Ogbah or that much of a difference maker.

Like everything else, it depends what we think his value is AND if we think we can find someone better for cheaper

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
V
Legend
Legend
V
Ogbah's PFF grade last year was 70.1

Vernon's PFF grade last year was 80.4

Nassib...the people's champion....grade was 69.3

Btw............here is an article about Ogbah and the situation w/the Browns.

Quote:

Browns unlikely to see significant return in Emmanuel Ogbah trade
By Austin Gayle
Mar 14, 2019
Cleveland Browns

Emmanuel Ogbah’s three-year tenure with the Cleveland Browns has been a disappointment. The former No. 32 overall pick from the 2016 NFL Draft hasn’t lived up to the hype now 2,117 defensive snaps into his NFL career. And now, Cleveland’s brass has seemingly seen enough.

Per ESPN’s Adam Schefter, John Dorsey & Co. are shopping Ogbah now that veteran Olivier Vernon and his $15.5M 2019 cap hit on the books. The 28-year-old veteran recorded more pressures in his 2016 campaign (108) than Ogbah has in his entire career (104), and Vernon has since added another 104 pressures in 2017 and 2018 combined.

The writing is on the wall; Vernon will start opposite of third-year phenom Myles Garrett, leaving Ogbah as either the odd man out on the pine or in another uniform. Cleveland, however, likely won’t see a significant return on investment if its brass does ship Ogbah out of the Dawg Pound given his streak of dismal NFL production.

Ogbah has yet to earn a pass-rush grade above 60.5 in his three-year career despite rushing the passer at least 268 times in each of the past three seasons. Rushing the passer a career-high 496 times this past season, he ranked dead last in pass-rush win percentage (7.5%) among the 61 NFL edge defenders with at least 300 pass-rushes on the year.

His run defense was better but still not great. Ogbah ranked 30th in run-defense grade among the 61 edge defenders with 200-plus defensive snaps playing the run in 2018.

Low Day 3 picks come to mind when considering Ogbah’s lackluster pass-rush and nondescript run defense through three years in the NFL. Due just $2.1M in 2019, Ogbah may offer more value to Cleveland as a depth piece than as a future fifth- or sixth-rounder.

https://www.pff.com/news/pro-browns-unlikely-to-see-significant-return-in-emmanuel-ogbah-trade

Man, Dorsey was so dumb!

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Money is definitely an issue, unfortunately.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
I wonder what Zettel's PFF grade was... you know, the player who subsequently replaced Nassib...

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Why did Dorsey cut Nassib and trade Ogbah before having viable replacements in their stead?

Was he planning on Porter Gustin and Bryan Cox Jr stepping it up?

Legend
Legend
No doubt Vernon is better, just not sure how much better (10 points on that chart, apparently).

I also think our FO is probably thinking: Vernon’s value is not efficient. His contract doesn’t match his production. If they think we can sign/draft someone more cost efficient, I’m sure we’ll do that.

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
Legend
I’m hoping the Brown’s shore up the defense backfield and Oline in free agency. And hope they draft depth at the same positions.

A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives.
– Jackie Robinson
D
Legend
Legend
D

How many teams can say they have $90 million in cap space? I mean, that's what's important, isn't it?

Its all that matters to the sashiettes ... thumbsup

M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: DiamDawg

Its all that matters to the sashiettes ... thumbsup

Derpity Derp.

Tackles are tackles.
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen
Keep Kirkesy who is a frail player, or have an extra 8mil to bring in a O tackle?

I certainly understand about cutting Kirksey. I mean he hasn't been healthy for some time. But other than that, that's not how any of this works. When you lose a LB'er, you need to sign a LB'er. So at least a large part of that money will be used to sign a replacement. We both know Mack Wilson isn't starting LB'er material. It's not like you become bereft in LB'ers and use that money to sign an OT.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Conversely, we were likely going to be bringing in a LBer anyway because while Kirksey was on the roster, he wasn't a contributor. The hole was there before he was released.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Oh I don't doubt that. My point was simply we need to sign a LB'er so the money we saved by cutting Kirksey doesn't transfer to the OT position.

It's obvious they felt with Kirksey being injured so much they wanted to find a more reliable replacement. I can't say I blame them for that part of it.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
I'd expect we will get a mid-tier replacement in free agency, if we can, and then target one in the draft.

I've been rather supportive of the idea of taking Malik Harrison in the 3rd round.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
All in on Malik Harrison !

P
Legend
Legend
P
I think Malik would be a great avenue to follow but I'm not sure he will still be there in round three. Just never really trusted the projections on players past round 1 from the talking heads. Even then I take it with a grain of salt. Which isn't good for my blood pressure.

#gmstrong
Page 2 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Browns Estimated 2020 Top 51 Cap Space by Spotrac is $58.3 million

Link Copied to Clipboard