Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
Quote:
I think he means corners and safeties.

In that case, I believe the author's logic is flawed. A good coverage LBer who can play all three downs is a true asset in a pass-happy league such as the NFL.

I agree a three down linebacker can be an asset (I don't think anyone would argue against that point). I also think that having three different guys who are good at three different things can be just as valuable (I don't think we have any linebackers that are good in coverage on the roster).

V
Legend
Legend
V
Two things.

I like using one roster spot instead of 3 roster spots to fill one position.

I think Wilson has the potential to be good in coverage. Let's hope he realizes that potential.

C
Legend
Legend
C

Ideally yes. But if you get to save money and are using all the roster spots then it's no big deal. Last year we basically wasted a roster spot on Adarius Taylor. If a guy can contribute on special teams and defense that'd be great.

V
Legend
Legend
V
I think we are going to miss Taylor on Special Teams. I thought he was excellent.

C
Legend
Legend
C
I think we are going to miss Taylor on Special Teams. I thought he was excellent.

Not if we can sign a guy that plays special teams and on defense. Taylor only played special teams.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Huh?

Did you read my sentence?

C
Legend
Legend
C
Huh?

Did you read my sentence?

I should clarify. Ideally you'd like to have a player than can excel on defense and special teams.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Yes, of course.

I just wanted to point out that Taylor was excellent on special teams because a lot of people probably missed that.

H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
We will have two additional roster spots now ...

The Cleveland Browns - WE KNOW QUARTERBACKS ( Look at how many we've had ... )
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: cfrs15

Ideally yes. But if you get to save money and are using all the roster spots then it's no big deal. Last year we basically wasted a roster spot on Adarius Taylor. If a guy can contribute on special teams and defense that'd be great.

If not, then it wasn't a waste. Special teams coaches are usually given that 1 roster spot to keep that 1 guy. The 1 guy they want on their squad. They help work the cut list, then get to save one from being cut because he needs them on the special teams squad. Maybe Taylor was the guy?

Sure, we all want a team full of starters who end up as back-ups and special team players, just as ideally there was no virus going around, and we all had $600,000 a year jobs for testing mattresses at night. Wake up and fill out a form giving it a rating, but life doesn't always deal us a royal straight flush.

Sometimes you get players who can excel on special teams but little else.

You are a good poster and I like you, but sometimes you are a little pie in the sky. It would be wonderful if we could draft Simmons or Young and all they could do is crack the special team units for a few years.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
E
Legend
Legend
E
I think we felt Joe was not worth cap wise what he would get as a FA. Just a bottom line preparing Cap adjustments for the near future. And with possibly a lot of lost economics especially if games will be played without fans viewing at the stadium will the Cap go down for NFL economy as well as elsewhere?

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted By: eotab
I think we felt Joe was not worth cap wise what he would get as a FA. Just a bottom line preparing Cap adjustments for the near future. And with possibly a lot of lost economics especially if games will be played without fans viewing at the stadium will the Cap go down for NFL economy as well as elsewhere?

They offered a deal to both Joe and The Cheerleader...neither accepted the offer and went elsewhere.

Neither guy was a world-beater...I wish we could have re-signed Joe.

V
Legend
Legend
V
j/c:

The Browns made an offer to Joe? I didn't know that. What were the details of that offer? Anyone know?

And what about Kirko? What kind of offer did the Browns make? Anyone know that?

Legend
Legend
It was reported that we asked Kirskey to restructure and he refused. I never saw anything about an offer to Joe but it is very possible I missed it.

#gmstrong
D
Legend
Legend
D
No clue if they made an offer to Joe ... i would imagine they did ... they definitely talked and money must have been involved because we knew he was asking for more than we wanted to pay ... When Andy said Joe has earned the right to test FA that was code for he wanted way more than we thought he was worth ... just like when they cut KJ’s nuts off and then KJ quit according to some on here ... naughtydevil

R
Legend
Legend
R
The Dorsey quit argument is one of the funniest on here.

O
Legend
Legend
O
I mean, technically that's what happened. But yeah, we know what REALLY happened.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Browns sign MLB B.J. Goodson

Link Copied to Clipboard